Avec Les Bons Voeux - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

good

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avec Les Bons Voeux Alström Bros
bathinginbelgian

I finally procured a couple of 750ml bottles at my neighborhood Whole Foods, in early December. Carbonation and lacing were superb, with some of the yeast sediment settling on top of the head. This ale is very drinkable, the fruity spice overtones explode in your mouth before swallowing. My only gripe with this fantastic beer is the green bottle; I believe it would have a much longer shelf life and be less prone to turning if bottled in brown glass.

04-24-2009 00:00:08 | More by bathinginbelgian

12-08-2011 07:57:23 | More by kornkid8600
ccrida

Oregon

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

"Les Bon Vouex" - Best Wishes indeed! Dupont really nailed it with this one, wow - this is one fine beer! Poured from a 750ml bottle into my St. Feullien chalice, the saison is a hazy orange with a pillowy, 2 finger white head, which sticks around long enough, fading to surface skim and a bit of scattered lace. The label was different then that pictured, it has an older parchment look, and has a big "III" before the title, wonder what that represents? Had this not been a bit more straw colored, it would be a perfect 5.
The aroma is very minerally with a bit of sugar, booze and spice, classic saison. As it warms, it goes from moderate to strong, in a very enjoyable way. Sweet and sour, this is what I want,saison or not.
The taste was smooth and very complex, fantastic! I should say this is one of my all time favorite beers from my favorite style. That said, I've had it before, so there is not a first impression bias here. The flavor had notes of brett funk, tart fruit, phenols, a firm dry bitterness and lots of bicarbonate. It is peppery, yeasty and musty, with notes of straw and honey. I love the dry, mineral finish of saisons...the fact that they were able to maintain all of that and still amp up the richness is a perfect example of why Belgium brews are so highly regarded.
The mouthfeel is spritzy and medium bodied. Smooth as velvet yet still tangy and lively, I could swish this all night.
The drinkability for this is about as high as it gets. Fabulous at the first sip, and an infinite amount of layers to peel back, as approachable as it is, the Avec Les Bons Voeux is made for the enjoyment of the true connoisseur . From what I understand, it as originally made as DuPont's special New Years brew for the staff...lucky dogs!
Bottom line, this beer is the bomb...there are very few I'd choose before this, Fantome Ete of course, and regular Fatome, particularly on FRESH draft. If you see it, grab them and save for a memorable night of enjoyment! I chose this last bottle for watching Pitt lose the Sweet 16 to UCLA, *sigh*, at least it was Jamie Dixon's mentor, Pitt's last coach, Ben Howland. Still sucks!

03-23-2007 04:41:30 | More by ccrida
Patrick999

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

Seemed a good day to finally pull this one out of the fridge and give it a go. Loud pop of the cork, 2006 vintage.

Appearance is exactly what I expected - cloudy gold body under a big old head.

Nose really opens up as it warms - lots to pick out....the lovely musty back-corner-of-the-barn smell recognizable from Saison Dupont and others, lemon, spices...a pungent field of weeds. Can detect a little alcohol. Interesting, now I get a pretty distinct cooked oatmeal smell coming through, with the final yeast pour.

Taste to me seems a lot like a regular Saison Dupont but with added kick ("Imperial" Saison?") Lots of spiciness to be had, alcoholic and otherwise, Lemony hops amid funky yeast and alcohol in the finish leaves a trail of unripe fruit residue in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Aggressively carbonated with quite a dry finish, it never feels all that heavy, a nice feat given the size of this beer. Almost a bit thin, but this seems to suit the beer very well.

Drinkability - Exceptional for such a big saison. Share it with a friend....but you're probably gonna want the whole bottle, trust me. Great beer. Basically a perfect beer. Very little more I can ask of this one. Drinkable enough for the average Friday evening, but more than classy and refined enough for a special occasion. Would pair well with just about anything. I'm sad to see this nearly all done. I love saisons, and this one just kicks ass. With this beer, the world comes into focus. I think my liquor store has a few more bottles of it...a tip of the hat to the brewer. In the words of the PGA Tour, "These guys are good."

***UPDATE - I feel compelled to review a 2009 bottle....drinking on 12/20/2009, this is easily the freshest bottle of Avec Les Bons Voeux I've ever had. I'm going to take a fresh look at the beer that really got me into the saison/farmhouse style, my favorite style.

Knowing a little bit more about beer than I did when I first reviewed this, I wondered if this was really a saison at 9.5%. I poured. Yeah, OK, it looks like a typical "Liquid Sunshine" saison. Smell? Definitely all saison. So perfumey, and so HOPPY too...oh man, I think I love this even more so fresh. A few sips confirm it....this is all saison, and a hoppy one at that. It's beautiful. I'm bumping the taste up to 5. Lot of Saaz or Goldings....this is one of the hoppiest saisons I've ever had.

***Further note, I do not suggest aging this. I had a 2004 not too long ago, and it was something of a sweet mess. Gone was the amazing perfumey dryness. In its place was a sweet, gooey Cointreau flavor. If you have 'em, I say drink them. There's not much to be gained by aging this, as good as it is fresh.

06-22-2007 22:03:12 | More by Patrick999
alostplot

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

08-24-2014 07:42:38 | More by alostplot
bditty187

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Hazy, pale sunshine in hue with a straw influence; the shading is absolutely lovely. It is perfect! Who said a great looking beer needed to be dark and intimidating? Massive frothy head, there was easily four fingers of foam at the apex. Head retention was very good; slowly the bubbles subsided to a thick, chunky cap. Lacing started before I even took a sip, which I love. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was widespread, disorganized… it is a webby maze. Overall, this is one lovely beer. It is flawless.

I love Saisons. I love Dupont. All it took was one sniff and I fell in love with this beer. It is awesome. There is a summer breeze… very airy with perfume from apples, pears, lemon zest, apricots, and a subtle array of tropical fruits. Marshmallows, kisses of cloves, plus there is an herbal sprig, with pepper at the end. Vaguely alcoholic at the back, I even detect a trace of maltiness. The bouquet is truly awesome. It is the prototypical Saison only enhanced (beefed-up?) but not “Americanized” (fucked-up?), the craftsmanship is very apparent. Wow. Moderate potency; very inviting… I am taking a sip (finally!).

The palate is captivating. I am in awe at the articulation. Like the nose there is a lovely airiness to the palate. Apples, pears, lemon zest, and apricots are the fruity notes. I cannot forget the herbal blend with undercurrents of clove and, I swear, there is a kiss of coriander. I can’t forget the marshmallows, pepper, and a light alcohol burn towards the finish. Plus it is sweet, malty with a fruity finish… hot and peppery aftertaste with some juiciness. To state it bluntly this beer is hot, spicy, juicy, and bitter. To state is even more simply, this beer is wonderful. I am a huge fan of Saison Dupont but Avec Les Bons Voeux is a much better beer. My definition of great Saison has just been adjusted. This is just as good as (better than?) the best Fantome Saison. I never thought I’d say that.

Slightly fuller than medium, the carbonation is ticklish and spritzy; it is very playful on the tongue. The carbonation would allow this beer to be consumed with fatty, rich foods. In general Saisons are versatile but this beer might the king. I’m in love.

I’m coming to the realization that this beer will be my new “highest rated” beer on BA. It is the closest thing to perfection I’ve tasted and it is clearly the best Saison I’ve had. I am stunned at how great this beer is! I am one happy dude right about now. Thank you mdinges, you’ve made my day. I want many more bottles of this. I’m officially spoiled. World Class. Highly Recommended.

06-16-2006 14:34:39 | More by bditty187
steinlifter

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

This poured a cloudy copper, little yeasts floating in it, and an unbelievable, meringue head..that lasts and lasts...
musky aroma of hops, fruit.
hops hit up front, mellows to a vanilla type flavor,
mouthfeel, is crisp, and creamy.
This went down,Sooo nicely, a real treat!
excellent beer, "beer", is almost not a sufficient word...excellent stuff.

02-22-2006 17:44:04 | More by steinlifter
pjwilson

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

appearance: poured this right after I brought it back from the store, so the yeast was mixed in bassically. bright orange color that is completly imperrivius to any light. giant head that takes up over half of the wine glass, looking like lemon merrange. lacing is slowly left beyond. looking very dupont. bottle is very class looking as well, would do well at a fancy dinner.

smell: smelling lots of pepper, that dry smell that I get in the other dupont saison's. the yeast is providing tons here. good, but not too much complexity. yet i love that pepper smell, so good.

taste: the first taste is almost underwelming. then you realize how good this is and how much restrait is in the taste.the grains get a chance to shine, of course backed by the yeast and "a kiss of the hops." I,m tasting melon, rum, and sugar. the end of the finish brings a dry bitterness typical of saisons, only this one is less dry than either foret or regular dupont. no trace of the 9.5 alcohol, which is great, i don't really enjoy booze taste so much.

moutfeel: very light, as light as any beer i've had. it doesn't feel watery at all. it feels almost lighter than water somehow.

drinkability: damn hard to use restrait on this one. this is not a sipper, it just goes down so smooth. everytime i time i take a drink i'm tempted to drink the entire glass, which i end up doing a few times. nothing wrong with that but 9.5 is a strong one.

i love saisons and this may be the best i've had yet, if not one of the best beer's i've ever had. I can see this becoming a staple. The second half of the bottle went extremly well with Mexican food. (i'm sure it would kick ass with Thai or Vietnamese as well.)

08-07-2006 00:13:03 | More by pjwilson
cokes

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

2005.

It pours a blurred goldenrod stacked with a slowly melting wall of ivory.

The nose presents first as smallish, and possibly narrow, then the initial inhalations are belied by a deepened and kaleidoscopic array of herbs, and various dried things, as it exudes hay bales, tarragon, bay leaves, dandelions, dried peaches, sawdust, cement, oatmeal, vanilla, and a perfumed white vinousness roughly akin to Gewürztraminer.
It should be noted that this needs to approach room temperature for the aroma to come out fully.

Across the tongue, it sticks true to its dry motif. Hay, weeds, and bleached grains scrape by first. It leaves the door ajar just enough so that a faint sweetness can eke out a place, with orange and lemon rinds and wildflower honey. But dry this remains and ever will. Yeast settles in early and throws about hallucinatory overtures of sandalwood, vanilla pod, tarragon, thyme, cobwebbed basements, uric acid, hazelnuts, and multi-colored peppercorns. Alcohol-associated flavors are virtually shut out of the flavor, though it carries through with that perfumed, anise- and spice-laden Gewürztraminer wine suggestion from the nose. The hops wash away a microsecond of heat with their fresh bay leaves, snapped long grasses, continued pepper hues, and a lingering weedy pulp.
The body is a literal down pillow of cottony mouthfeel and supple carbonation to allow a 9.5% ABV beer such as this to melt in the mouth like so much cotton candy. That's a tired cliché, I know, but it's as applicable here as anywhere. Honestly, this barely materializes as 6%, and its feel and structure is to credit..or to blame tomorrow.
Drinkability is only a consideration when one still has the capacity to judge what needs to be accomplished the following day. And this compromises moderation with haste. Once that goes, it tends toward the infinite...and the comatose.

A huge suggestion is to let this warm well beyond fridge temps, because the warmer this gets, the deeper it goes. I feel like I only scratched the surface.

When and if you find it, buy it all....every last one
It's a mind-shatterer.

10-31-2007 08:56:43 | More by cokes
feloniousmonk

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I just tapped a keg of this rarity about two hours ago, and something struck me right off, a thing happened that is most uncommon: a beer took my breath away.

Looks majestic poured into a St. Bernardus goblet, lush creamy head, hazy pale orange appearance, ...angelic.

Aroma, captivating, airy, light citrus, minor sour tones, vibrant fruit, apricot, peach, lemon, gets bolder by the minute, unfolds tangy-er fruit notes, ...uplifting.
But it's in the taste where I was taken back, and I still don't know if I have language for it, but let us make a valiant effort, anyway.

Fruit floods the mouth, but the body is exceptionally light, almost ethereal...it paints a coating of delicious around the mouth that pulls away like a phantom, the echo of this gorgeous fruit flavor, plump with yeast, lingers, resonates, titillates, entices...another sip is in the offing, but it becomes a gulp, and the swallow is urgent, but the effect is the opposite, a magnificent restfulness overcomes me, a mellow rapture,... it stirs the mind and soul, and quenches thirst along the way.

Each new sip delivers a similar shock, a brand new spank to the senses, a reacquaintance with this magical feeling.

Body is light, but the flavor is powerful and pure, and the finish is long, fruity, perfectly smooth. I laugh at the 9.5% but feel it creeping in as I drain the glass.
Hey, maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but this glass of beer has an absolutely elevating effect. The strength eventually enters into the flavor like a wily snake through a grassy field....lightly spicy, too, to match the fruit...call me a sucker if you must, but I feel my soul has been cracked open, freed and sent aloft, metamorphosized, like hearing new beautiful music for the first time, have a soft spot touched and felt that shiver...

Amazing beer. Not good, not great, amazing! Utterly lovely.
A great gift from Dupont. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

03-01-2005 05:56:43 | More by feloniousmonk
francisweizen

Alaska

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Excellent and very impressive! This saison pours a nice light orange colour with a fluffy, white head. The aromas are all zesty hops, farm, horse blanket, must, yeast, and spice! The taste is a spicy hop bomb, with the alcohol and malt flavors nicely tucked into the fresh tasting mix. The mouthfeel is light and airy, yet still full. The drinkability is off of the map!

The regular Saison Dupont beer is great, but this stuff is inspiring.

please take note, that this is a limited edition seasonal beer, released in the winter, by the Dupont brewery. The sample just reviewd was from the 2001 batch! If you find this stuff, it should be around $10 a bottle...

08-08-2003 17:37:51 | More by francisweizen
rajendra82

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +16%

The beer was picked up from Green's in a green bomber with a cork and wire cage. The vintage 05 was visible on the side of the cork before opening. The thud heard while uncorking was resoundingly solid, and the body poured out pale golden, clear, and well carbonated, and formed a head that built up above the rim of the glass. It was very Duvel-esque in its looks, which is almost always a sign of good times ahead. The carbonation never ceased during the entire drinking session. And the lacing had to be seen to be believed.

The aroma was yeasty and spicy, and had hints of lemon peel and hay. These smells are usually associated with mild smelling beers, but this one was as aromatic as a West Coast IPA. The taste was bone dry and refreshing due to the tart and spicy flavors floating atop ethanol. Very delicately balanced, yet quite bold, this was a superlative ale in its primacy. The mouthfeel was light and ephemeral, and the aftertaste peppery and tantalizing. If there was any fault to be found here, it was in the highly spicy character throughout, which might not appeal to everyone. But as you might have figured out by now, spiciness increased the appeal of this beer to me.

A very contemplative, and evocative drink that was a rare find not in availability, but in quality. Seek it and enjoy the best wishes of the brewer, they mean it.

03-13-2006 04:16:19 | More by rajendra82
mzwolinski

2004

At 9.5%, this is the strongest of Brasserie Dupont’s lineup. And I’ve got a whole 750 ml all to myself. Poor me. (Or is that, “pour me!”)

Crisp pop upon opening!

Cloudy, orangeish peach in appearance with a swirling eddy of carbonation and a thick off-white head.

Grassy, slightly lemony aroma. Invigorating and refreshing!

The malt body is understated and at first serves merely as a stage for a slightly spicy, herbal, floral hop presence. Slightly peppery at the finish. Tartness is minimum. Malt develops a slightly chewy, doughy character as the beer warms. Exquisitely balanced. God, how the hell is 9.5%? You’ll feel it long before you taste it (though the alcohol flavor does spark up a bit as the beer sits).

Lovely, well carbonated but substantial mouthfeel

Yeast pour adds a hint of farmhouse funk to the aroma and an easy depth to the flavor.

What a great beer!

08-28-2006 03:58:44 | More by mzwolinski
putnam

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

For what it's worth there is a Roman numeral "III" at the top of the front label. Batch #? The cork bore the numerals "2.0.0.2."
This stormy yellow liquid offers remarkably savory aromas of buttered sourdough in addition to ample amounts of vanilla, dried bananas, nutmeg and whole cream.
On the palate its broad, rich texture renders impressions of tangy nectarine fruit, blended, raw nuts, honey, sage, and stones. Intense mineral extracts define and shape the long finish, leaving clean, austere bitterness below and pungent, tropical, floral notes on top - all joined by dry, herbal resins.
Sweet enough that the fruit flies like it too. A fruity, stone-flavored ale.

07-31-2004 15:47:46 | More by putnam
kellertrumpet

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a very cloudy golden orange with dark yeast particulate and a huge slightly off-white head.

What a great smelling beer. Tons of great yeasty esters with some fruity notes and a bit of cinnamon.

Very nice mouthfeel after the carbonation subsides. It was a bit overwhelming at first but after a minute or two it is less aggressive.

I could drink a few of these 750's all by myself. There is so much going on that I keep finding different nuances with each sip. Beautiful esters hinting at pear and Macintosh apple. This is quickly washed over by spices of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. All of which is balanced by a nice sweetness that is far from cloying. My favorite part is the horse blanket funkiness from the yeast and the nice warming alcohol. The alcohol certainly does not detract from the experience but it can definitely be accounted for.

Why bother with champagne when you can drink this? One of my ultimate favorites.

02-15-2011 01:50:07 | More by kellertrumpet
drpimento

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Woweee! Talk about luck! Last night got to try this as both a one and two year old version. First, the one year: Nice fine, creamy, off white head and a ton of lace. Color is a cloudy/opaque amber. Aroma is spicey, malty, citrus, yeast and a touch earthy. Flavor is way different! Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness. Has great body and carbonation. Citrus comes out at the end, but is balanced with the sweetness and bitterness. Really excellent beer.

Two year old: like the one year, but less sweet, smoother, and more balanced.

01-27-2010 14:48:57 | More by drpimento
scottyg354

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Light copper golden. Nice fluffy head. Decent lacing.

S: Bread, Lemons and Spice. Slight alcohol.

T: Oranges and Bread, some funk. Slight warming from alcohol.

M: Smooth and fluffy. Medium carbonation.

O: Good beer. The standard in my opinion for the saison style.

12-24-2011 20:54:03 | More by scottyg354
SkeeterHawk

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I picked this '06 version up at Knightly Spirits in Orlando...a must visit if you are in the area. I would save this beer and review it later, but I am on my motorcycle at Bike Week right now and damn-it...I need some room in my saddle bags. Oh well...here we go.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish golden color with a steady cascade of bubbles rising to the top, but the head is a small and consistent 1/4" of white foam. Even five minutes later the bubbles are still rising to the top, and the head may have actually gotten a bit bigger in that time.

Aroma: My first impression of the flavor was really bready and citrus like, but it gets more earthy really quickly. I get tons of fruit, and there is something in there that is unmistakable...but I can't put my finger on it. It reminds me a bit of the way a packet of Smarties sweet tarts smells with the dry and almost powdery impression yet with a bunch of fruit mixed up. The aroma is really complex on this beer. It almost takes on a bit of wet hay as the beer warms up to room temperature.

Taste: The flavor is also really complex and has many layers. I get a defined spiciness in this beer that I didn't pick up in the nose. The breadyness is also really defined in this one. It does give an impression of lemon cookies with a bit of a spicy bite. I really don't pick up the 9.5% ABV in this one, but I am sure that it will be apparent after I get through this bottle. I pick up the spiciness and a little bit of warming in the belly...but no warmth in the throat.

Opinion: All I can say is WOW! This beer is no doubt the best Saison I have ever tasted. There are so many dimensions to this beer that I am sure that if I sat here for the next two hours (I can't because checkout time is in about 1 hour) and drank it, that I would be able to pick out something every time I took a sip. I would love to be able to make a beer this complex, and I think that I am now inspired to try. I wouldn't say that this beer pushed me over the edge to where a Saison is my beer of choice over a Tripel, but this one is really good.

03-10-2007 14:40:31 | More by SkeeterHawk
mjc410

Vermont

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a Belgian tulip.

The most explosive cork I've ever seen hit the ceiling and ricocheted across the kitchen on opening this monster. The pour yields a two inch head, slow to fall. It leaves thick lacing as it does, too. It's quite rocky, and the color of butter pecan ice cream. Color is a very slightly hazy golend yellow, with very active carbonation. Nose is of sour apples, cut grass, sugar, and diacetyl. First sip yields spicy floral hops with nice bitterness, which moves through sugar and sour apples to a warming, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste is full of nice grain flavor, very malty. Pouring in the yeast of course mellows the flavor, and makes the beer near opaque.Mouthfeel is medium-light, but with very high tingly carbonation. Marvelously warming in the belly. This is a marvelous saison, my new favorite in the style. Pairs excellently with spicy food, as well.

08-06-2006 16:43:02 | More by mjc410
wisrarebeer

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottled in 2008 and this beer held up extremely well. A bit of sediment and opened with a huge 'pop' but decanted clear. Great taste. Full. Amazing amount of brett noticeable. Some heat but very well attenuated. It's an experience to drink the beer at the brewery (with the toilets in the back by the cows) but you can always find perfect examples of the beer in bottles too!!

06-04-2014 01:50:53 | More by wisrarebeer