Avec Les Bons Voeux - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Avec Les Bons VoeuxAvec Les Bons Voeux

good

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avec Les Bons Voeux Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Woweee! Talk about luck! Last night got to try this as both a one and two year old version. First, the one year: Nice fine, creamy, off white head and a ton of lace. Color is a cloudy/opaque amber. Aroma is spicey, malty, citrus, yeast and a touch earthy. Flavor is way different! Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness. Has great body and carbonation. Citrus comes out at the end, but is balanced with the sweetness and bitterness. Really excellent beer.

Two year old: like the one year, but less sweet, smoother, and more balanced.

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Light copper golden. Nice fluffy head. Decent lacing.

S: Bread, Lemons and Spice. Slight alcohol.

T: Oranges and Bread, some funk. Slight warming from alcohol.

M: Smooth and fluffy. Medium carbonation.

O: Good beer. The standard in my opinion for the saison style.

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked this '06 version up at Knightly Spirits in Orlando...a must visit if you are in the area. I would save this beer and review it later, but I am on my motorcycle at Bike Week right now and damn-it...I need some room in my saddle bags. Oh well...here we go.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy orangish golden color with a steady cascade of bubbles rising to the top, but the head is a small and consistent 1/4" of white foam. Even five minutes later the bubbles are still rising to the top, and the head may have actually gotten a bit bigger in that time.

Aroma: My first impression of the flavor was really bready and citrus like, but it gets more earthy really quickly. I get tons of fruit, and there is something in there that is unmistakable...but I can't put my finger on it. It reminds me a bit of the way a packet of Smarties sweet tarts smells with the dry and almost powdery impression yet with a bunch of fruit mixed up. The aroma is really complex on this beer. It almost takes on a bit of wet hay as the beer warms up to room temperature.

Taste: The flavor is also really complex and has many layers. I get a defined spiciness in this beer that I didn't pick up in the nose. The breadyness is also really defined in this one. It does give an impression of lemon cookies with a bit of a spicy bite. I really don't pick up the 9.5% ABV in this one, but I am sure that it will be apparent after I get through this bottle. I pick up the spiciness and a little bit of warming in the belly...but no warmth in the throat.

Opinion: All I can say is WOW! This beer is no doubt the best Saison I have ever tasted. There are so many dimensions to this beer that I am sure that if I sat here for the next two hours (I can't because checkout time is in about 1 hour) and drank it, that I would be able to pick out something every time I took a sip. I would love to be able to make a beer this complex, and I think that I am now inspired to try. I wouldn't say that this beer pushed me over the edge to where a Saison is my beer of choice over a Tripel, but this one is really good.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Belgian tulip.

The most explosive cork I've ever seen hit the ceiling and ricocheted across the kitchen on opening this monster. The pour yields a two inch head, slow to fall. It leaves thick lacing as it does, too. It's quite rocky, and the color of butter pecan ice cream. Color is a very slightly hazy golend yellow, with very active carbonation. Nose is of sour apples, cut grass, sugar, and diacetyl. First sip yields spicy floral hops with nice bitterness, which moves through sugar and sour apples to a warming, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste is full of nice grain flavor, very malty. Pouring in the yeast of course mellows the flavor, and makes the beer near opaque.Mouthfeel is medium-light, but with very high tingly carbonation. Marvelously warming in the belly. This is a marvelous saison, my new favorite in the style. Pairs excellently with spicy food, as well.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured on draft at HOPS Culture in Aspen, CO into an 8oz snifter.

Visual: Dandelion yellow, with a thin bit of lacing remaining after the head dissipates

Nose: Subtle, but smells like it looks, of dandelions, straw and herbs

Palate: Rich for a Saison. Lemon curd, ripe yellow peach and mushroom hit up front, followed by a pleasant, herbal hop bitterness and a chalky minerality that is almost astringent. Finish is loooooong.

Overall, this is one of the better Saisons I have had in a while, and a beer that I look forward to coming out every winter. It is definitely a bigger, unusual version of a Saison, no doubt, but given such complexity and length, one can't help but love it.

Bravo Dupont, bravo.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled in 2008 and this beer held up extremely well. A bit of sediment and opened with a huge 'pop' but decanted clear. Great taste. Full. Amazing amount of brett noticeable. Some heat but very well attenuated. It's an experience to drink the beer at the brewery (with the toilets in the back by the cows) but you can always find perfect examples of the beer in bottles too!!

Photo of

750ml bottle.

Hazy, dull orange liquid. Large, rocky, white colored head. Appearance doesn't do much for me.

Things rapidly improve as I inhale. Belgian barnyard present, but not very strong. Lemony-citrus scent. Candi sugar. Spices, maybe coriander. Grass/herbal notes.

They improve more with the first sip! Nicely bitter - lemon - which lingers well into the aftertaste. Alcohol/phenol taste. Candi sugar deep & buried, but picks up with the temperature. Tastes more like honey as it warms. Clove and pepper. Grass. This beer is way too complex for me to describe properly.

Medium bodied, with high carbonation - they work well together. Quite dry. Alcohol warming kicks in nice & quick.

A very complex saison. Bitter/citrus more than sweet. I will definately look forward to having another.

2008 vintage

A: hazy copper orange, frothy head, nice lacing
S: bright citrus fruit, yeasty, sweet, a little funk
T: similar to smell, citrus fruit farmhouse funk and a dry finish.
D: The 9.5 ABV is well hidden. I could easily drink the entire bottle and not even realize it. Feels velvety in the mouth and goes down incredibly smooth.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Oh, Avec, how I look forward to thee each year...This is one of my favorite beers; it lets me know that the year is almost over, and that strong crazy beers are just around the corner.
Pours a thick hazy gold with a gigantic white head, smells of grapes, sweet malt and rustic spices. Avec is one of the most complex tasting beers out there. Starts like wild honey, and stirs into a spicy, fruity and balanced mass with a nearly undetectable 9.5% abv. Has a creamy solid mouthfeel and is crisp and semi sweet in the finish but nothing cloying or syrupy. One of the best out there!

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

You absolutely know you have poured a quality beer when you find yourself forming the massive downy head into recreations of classic Greek sculpture with your tongue. Lose yourself for awhile in fascinating aromas of lavender, citrus orchards in full bloom, honey drizzled crepes and 12th century stone structures. This is the reason we drink, for playful contrasts of sweet mercurial grain and fields of bitter, bracing grass and lively alcohol with no heat. This is the reason we drink, for heady experience.

What magic has touched this liquid to make it so near perfect? Is this proof that the artisan's hand is more powerful than the chemist's figuring, the devotion to time and place more potent than industrial consistency?

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3/4 Liter bottle received from dnrobert24 and 2MBBIF.

I get a loud pop and a healthy amount of carbonation from the cork upon opening. Cork has 2005 on it as the bottling year.

Poured in to my Duvel Tulip I get a peachy golden colored beer with a trace of chill hazing. Powerful and voluminous white head almost is too much for my glass. Absolutely perfect looks for a Saison.

Smell is strong almost like a lovely flowers and spices perfume. Strong flowers combine with an intense spicy aroma. Strong coriander and black pepper aroma accents a very floral Saison.

Taste is quite dry and very floral and spicy that is my first impression. Hops are not at all hidden here and show themselves as a stiff drying bitterness in the aftertaste. Strongly warming in the chest but not the mouth, you will not be drinking two bottles of this by yourself. Flavor is all flowers and hay with coriander and black pepper. A very well executed beer that nails the style perfectly.

Mouthfeel is full crisp and drying, only thing left behind is a taste of flowers.

I always worry when I give a beer very high marks as to whether my sense of taste might be out of whack but not with this one. Pretty much a perfect Saison, throw away all that champagne and serve this for special occasions. Only possible flaw here is that the alcohol level won't let you drink a lot of it at once.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

One of my favorites and oh so hard to get!

I brought back this 2003 bottling from Belgium. It was one of the three beers I was determined to find when over there.

Poured into a Duvel tulip it shows a hazed golden orange color with a BIG foamy yellow-tinged white head that laces the glass rather nicely.

Smell is complex with may esters and phenols. I get spices and cloves, banana and minty lime, lemon cream and pepper, dark caramel and figs. Wow! More like a tripel with a pepper spice kick than a Strong Pale Ale.

Taste is Dupont product for sure. I get that green hoppy skunk bite (in a pleasant way) with honeyed bananas, white pepper, figs, and who knows what light spices (even though the bottle says there are none in it - must be the yeast). Truly amazing.

Mouthfeel is the best bar none. It is so creamy that it almost feels more like a mousse than liquid.

Extraordinarily drinkable until I fall on the floor from too many!

Version 2.007

Using a massive Burgundy wine glass this pours a dirty orange with tonnes of floaters and a strong, tough white head that persists all the way down.

Complexity in a glass: spices of ginger and pepper, fruits of bananas and mouldy white stone fruit, a strong herbaceous edge and a faint whiff of funky socks and sweet Belgian stench. Oh boy - complex, deep and brooding - Maybe the best beer I have ever stuck my nose in.

Palate is representative of the nose - spicy & racy with a wonderful sweet n' sour edge. Bananas, citrus and honey. Great flavours, great edginess but oh so pleasant. Hides the 9.5% abv perfectly.

Mouth feel is A1. Creamy, full, luscious, acidic, tart, so well balanced!!! So superb. Insert comment about drinking this and cows coming home.

Words will not do this beer justice. In my eyes, this is almost as good as it gets (I say "almost" because one never knows). It is like a beautiful mixture of wine and beer all wrapped up in a perfectly balanced brew. I found myself asking my house mate if he was sober enough to go back to the beer store to get more! God bless the people that made this. And at only $14 a 750 (are you f'ing kidding me!!! here is oz?) it is a steal.

Rumour has it that this ages well...worth it? we will see! Fantastic stuff.

Avec Les Bons Voeux from Brasserie Dupont sprl