Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,513 | Hads: 3,789
3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Nice, cloudy gold color, with a huge, long-lasting, cratering head. Upon opening the bottle (gotta love the sheer entertainment value of corked & caged bottles...) I was greated with a huge whiff of skunk, which passed after a minute in the glass. Overall, though, the aroma was restrained - I may have served it too cold, but I doubt it. Tastes of apple, sourness, Both taste and aroma are funky, as per the style, but not nearly to the extent that I had expected/hoped. Good drinkability and mouthfeel, but overall I was disappointed with this beer. Perhaps I had an old bottle, but I just felt the beer was lacking character, and paled in comparison to Hennepen, the only other saison I've had. If I can find a definitely fresh sample I may try it again, but other than that, I doubt it.
After reading other reviews, I would agree that you can probably come up with a whole host of subtle flavors if you put your mind to it, but this bottle just didn't do it for me. (971 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A hazy, burnt orange appearance with a large, fluffy head narrates this beautiful drink. Good retention and sticky lacing on the sides. Very yeasty aromas with hints of floral and honey. Taste is a bit thin, but a palate cleanser indeed. A dry drink with a solid crispness. Overall, a great saison. (298 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hazy golden color with hints of amber sporting a big white head made up of small and large bubbles leaves lots of sticky lace.

Aroma is malty with fruit citrus some apples and spice, some earthy yeasts noted underneath.

Taste is light wheat malt like lots of citrus, lemony some spice clove, pepper and the earthy yeast again in the flavor. This one was a little funky but not as farmy wet horse blanket like as I was expecting hence the 3.5 overall pleasant though.

Mouthfeel is medium tilted to full side lots of flavor.

Drinkability is good nice enough enjoyable just not funky enough. Thanks go to movingshadow152 for this bottle. (654 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Off white head - body had the color of a thinned out glass of Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

S: earthy, Belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Bready, yeast, warm spice-pepper.

M: Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Great beer for a warm summer day. (251 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Hazy, yellowish orange in appearance, with a thin white head. Grapefruit, yeasty aroma. Flavor is fruity and fairly acidic throughout, with a surprisingly yeasty presence and a clean finish. Perhaps a bit of woody flavor in there too? Dry, lightish body, this beer packs the hops, but delivers them in a fairly novel and intriguing way. Props! (343 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

My very first Saison. Poured out to a highly carbonated slightly hazy golden color. Major white foamy head would not stay down. Aromas of dough and grain are noted. Taste is uniquely dry and mellow; reminded me of some dry champagnes i've had in the past. Flavors of yeast, grain, burned malts, and some weak malt. Tart finish with some fruity flavors. Definitly different. Unlike anything I would call a belgian pale ale, as many have described this brew. Good mouthfeel is enhanced by the high level of carbonation. This is not an everyday brew; more or less a now and then treat. Mediocre drinkability. I will try some other beers of this style, and see how they compare. Worth a try. (687 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

i had this beer along with a westmalle and a chimay that a friend had brought back from georgia. good that i had this one first, as i liked it least of the three, which is not a putdown at all. this is more of a summer beer than the others.
served from a corked, tall, green 12.7 fl oz bottle. pours up a hazy light orange color, with a champagne like head, tons of bubbles. head stayed around, lots of lace. smells of fruit, possible lemon or sweeter, maybe even a garden like smell. tasted about the same, with lemon becoming obvious, and a hint of alcohol on the sides of he mouth. somewhat wheaty taste, in a good way. great mouthfeel, nicely carbonated and tingly. dry but a very refreshing beer.

this is the first time i have ever tried a saison, and i've got a bottle of hennepin up next.

cheers... (812 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Poursed from a 4 pack bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Big Frothy white head, with a cloudy golden body. Little champagne like bubbles drift up to the top of the glass

Smell- Citrus and pear fruits begin at the bottom and get spicier and more floral as your nose nears the top of the glass.

Taste- Tangy citrus melds into earthy spiceyness thant lingers on the palate, pleasently dry showing a full range of hop character, but in my opinion this is definatly a food beer. A creamy ceaser salad really brings out a sweet apple tree fruit flavor.

Mouthfeel- I can almost feel it pop on my tongue, the flavor is pervading and long lasting.

Drinkability- Even if your not a hops fan, which I am not, there's alot to absorb here. With and without food this is a beautiful complex beer. I probably would buy this regularly, but I'd certainly include it on a tasting or for a beer dinner. (895 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A- Giant, rich, pure white foamy head with really strong retention and super clingy lacing. Pale clear yellow color.

S- Obvious Belgian yeast characteristics. A little earthy with some notes of lemon and some sweet light flavors. Not a bad aroma, and it definitely has a good smell, especially for how light the beer is.

T-Not bad. A light malt characteristic, a little light fruit flavors (pear maybe). Moderately sweet with a dry finish. Splitting a bottle with a friend and he said that it really reminds him of champagne, and i tend to agree.

M- Really carbonated, sparkling mouthfeel (again, from the Belgian yeast. Not bad, but it verges on being too powerful and bubbly.

O- Not a bad beer. The aroma, flavors, and color are all impressive considering the lightness of the beer, but I am not overly impressed with it. I might be style biased, but I think this one is just a touch overrated. (904 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This might be one of the quintessential saisons. I dont know why I took so long to try it. The cork says 2.009.

A- I like the presentation here. The yellow and green cage is a very nice touch. The labels on these Belgian beers are never held on very well though. The back label fell off as I was pouring and the front label peeled off very easily.
This beer has one of those huge great billowing heads that I love about a good saison. The body is moderately hazed and a light, glowing gold color.

S- Strong smelling. I could smell a grassy, slightly funky uriney smell once it was poured into my glass. Upon closer investigation the nose is full of lemon, grass, light hops and a slight earthy funk/mustiness.

T- Tart and sour at times. Lots of grass, lemon, sharp piney hops. There is a slight skunk taste towards the end.

M- Light and bubbly like a saison should be. Very dry and fairly clean finishing.

D- This is a pretty good warm weather brew but it is not my favorite saison. I dont think Fantome can be dethroned. (1,028 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Pours a golden yellow color with a huge, white, pillow like head. The retention is incredible. Heavy carbonation reminds me of chapagne.

S - Yeast is definately the most obvious smell, but there are also hints of apples and pears. The malt is also very present.

T - Fruity and yeasty upfront and this soon gives way to fruit flavors. There is a nice touch of spice in middle as well. Finishes slightly acidic with mild bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated and velvety on the palate.

D - Highly drinkable although not the most drinkable example of the style. That honor would probably go to Hennepin. (604 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a snifter on 8/26/09

A - Pale & very hazy gold in color. Poured a two finger head riddled with bubbles. It settled some but remaind fluffy. Pretty good retention throughout. Rather impressive lacing.

S - Upon initial smell it seemed very grassy, similar to a humid prairie. A closer whiff reveals spices - clove & ginger, hints of fruit - sweet apple & white grapes. A spot of cinnamon in there, too.

T - The taste upfront follows closely the nose; grassy - wheat & hay. Warmth of the beer makes apparent an interesting malt character that resembles fresh baked bread that is immediately toasted. Spicy clove. A dab of orange peel.

M - Reasonably zesty carbonation. Medium, yet dense, mouth feel. Kind of gritty (though not resiny). At times the beer boarders on loitering. Hmm, strange...

D - I am kind of iffy with this beer. I liked it enough, but something didn't fully click. For me, the aroma was the high-point by far. I'm glad I tried it but am in no hurry to drink another. (1,000 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330ml bottle. Foam leaked from bottle top and poured with big white head with foam peaks. Settled to 1/2 inch head and held. Golden with orange hue, hazy, and heavily carbonated. Sediment.

Aroma is has a light strawberry, nutmeg, pear and vanilla.

Taste is creamy, malty, with light crackery malt and bitter. Tannins and slight tart

Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonated.

Overall, a smooth tasty saison (415 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%

A: I love the bottle. I feel like I need to be on a picnic when I'm drinking it. Pours a soft cloudy straw orange-yellow body with a generous off-white head.
S: Grains, bananas, cloves.
T: A little less flavor than I was expecting after the smell. Begins more bitter than was expecting, too. Some green apple bitterness sneaks through, and it has a pretty dry finish.
M: Lively carbonation that doesn't dull down after the bottle's been open for awhile.
D: Split a 750ml with a friend; probably good as the carbonation makes it pretty filling. (543 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Saison, one of my least favorite styles from Belgium. Still, Saison duPont on the shelf and I'd never had it before so I'll give it a shot.

Pours a honey gold with a marshmallowy, meringue-like head of cream. Nice lacing as it trails down the glass.

spicey with subtle citrus, the yeast charcter is present but not overly prominent. The beer is a little too cold to be sure at this point.

Very crisp, very clean taste. Again, sbutle yeast character. I little tart, almost sour? Not sure if its acid I taste or if its the play off the high degree of carbonation...speaking of which...

this beer is highly carbonated and spunky in the glass. It is very light bodied but not watery. As the hallmark saison, this is the body against which all others should be measured.

Very nice overall. Again, not my fav. style, but given the givens.... (840 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

375mL bottle appropriately served in a Saison Dupont glass. Vintage 2011.

A- pours with a massive foamy head. Light golden, fairly clear due to pouring the first half of the bottle.

S- Grassy, slight hint of lemon. Some funk.

T- True to the smell. Funky and grassy. Not as dry as I remember.

M- Thin, more subdued than I'd expect given the lively head.

O- A very solid brew, and a classic example of the style. That said, not my favorite and there are better values out there that I like better. (500 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A very good summer beer. Not bad in the winter either. Pair it with spicy asian food.

Serving was a 750 ml bottle.

Poured a hazy pale gold with a monster of a head that withdrew fairly quickly leaving scattered clumps of lace.

Smell was cloves,apples and floral notes.

Taste was spicy and fruity with hints of green apples and some hints of fresh bread dough,

Mouthfeel was full bodied with fine carbonation.

Very drinkable, I suspect it is an even better brew with food. (489 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Golden haze with high carb and lots of light, frothy foam.

S: Most of the smell is clove and nutmeg, a few faint citrus notes as well.

T&M: Strong clove and bitter green apple flavors. Light and bubbly mouthfeel with little aftertaste other than alcohol.

D: Overall this is a highly drinkable Belgian Saison. Crisp, apple-like with a certain bitterness that is not overbearing. Although this is a quality ale, I have other favs that I would likely buy before this. (470 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer. I had it today at our beer tasting at my work, Wines Unlimited and it had an entire array of exotic flavors. When I looked at the beer in my tasting glass, It looked yellowish, with hints of green reflection glow. Good head, and retention. The smell was intense and could be smelled at least 3 feet away. It smelled of grass, hops, skunk, and I caught a note of sweetness in the smell. Then I drank it slowly, the flavors really explode on the palate and lingers well after the consumption. This I think is a world class beer. (554 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%

With this beer you need to let it sit for a moment as it will get rid of the skunk smell and become the traditional smelling beer. The golden unfiltered beer was poured into a pint glass and let sit till the foam started to settle. The taste is amazing as it gives a floweral and cloves of tastes. Overall an amazing beer to have. (330 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy pale orange colour, thumb of head with solid retention and some nice sporadic lacing.

S - Heavy skunk, fruity citrus, orange rind, hints of spice with pepper, coriander and lemon on the finish.

T - Much like the nose, the heavy skunk unfortunately dominates, the sour citrus comes through alongside some funky yeast, with a lemon iced tea and hints of lemon drops with a peppered finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - I had read that there could be infected or skunky batch floating around the LCBO, and unfortunately I think I was subject to this aforementioned group. That being said, a flavourful brew was detectable amidst the skunk. I would give this brew another chance, but unfortunately I know my local LCBO likely won't be privy to another batch. (785 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First ever beer review.. lets go!

12.7oz green bottle poured into a tulip

A - pours a murky pale golden color reminiscent of hay. Strong persistent bubbles up to a nice big clean head that quickly dies down to next to nothing. Very slight swirling brings the head right back.

S - Not being prejudice against the green bottle but this thing is skunked. Strong upfront skunkiness that is hard to get past, cost it a point or so. Nice belgian yeast character with light undertones of banana and some spicy alcohol shine through though and improves a lot as it warms up. I get some vegetal hop aromas, kind of grassy.

T - Nice and citrusy/yeasty with that spicy alcohol. A touch of banana and spice. Firm dry bitterness that lingers just a tad, balancing out the slight upfront sweetness.

M - Creamy with a slight carbonation bite. Almost acidic, but not unpleasant at all.

O - Great beer, even being skunked. Or maybe I am just not too familiar with the style and Saisons are supposed to have a strong skunk aroma? I would definitely be interested in trying another bottle to maybe see its full potential. (1,108 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle.

Pours a pale yellow with a huge head. The smell is extremely yeasty/floral and funky. The taste has a ton of funkiness on the palate and ends very dry...very very dry. Because of this its not very drinkable to me. It has a light body with very high carbonation.

Overall cant say i enjoy this beer very much. I know it gets some high reviews but i just dont see it that way. (390 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%

In the glass this looks a honied, murky brownish orange, topped by a thick bubbly head that sticks around and looks healthy and fresh right until the very end.

The aroma is yeasty and musty with pale malts and some notes of apples and pears and lemongrass. Um. Fairly unimpressive, actually.

The taste is so light yet lively and complex, dry with an underlying layer of white pepper throughout balanced against a light fruitiness with a tart though punchy finish and a herbal bitter aftertaste that zeroes out the palate nicely. What malt I can detect is a little grainy. There's some definite barnyard funk and earthiness to this one. Alcohol is a little more detectable than would be ideal. All of these aspects work well together but yet there's something not completely jibing here for me.

Well attenuated, dry, crisp and refreshing yet smooth.

Overall I think it's a hallmark of the style, but I would hope in the sense that it allows a foundation for others to build on and refine rather than duplicate, as there's a sort of disharmony at the root of this beer for me. (1,078 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance – Pours densely cloudy yellow, yet full of light, with a three finger off-white head supported by the serious carbonation.

Smell – Strong yeast with many medium, deeper fruit aromas and some leafy odors. Complex

Taste – Multifaceted spiciness from the yeast with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Some hops are detectable, but [to my palate] either masked by the significant yeast contribution or seamlessly blended with it.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and full and heavily carbonated as appropriate for the style. Slight puckering effect in my mouth.

Drinkability – Exceptional with a appetizers or even heavier foods. I would submit this is a fine picnic wine. (678 characters)

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl