Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,513 | Hads: 3,789
3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Pours a golden yellow color with a huge, white, pillow like head. The retention is incredible. Heavy carbonation reminds me of chapagne.

S - Yeast is definately the most obvious smell, but there are also hints of apples and pears. The malt is also very present.

T - Fruity and yeasty upfront and this soon gives way to fruit flavors. There is a nice touch of spice in middle as well. Finishes slightly acidic with mild bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated and velvety on the palate.

D - Highly drinkable although not the most drinkable example of the style. That honor would probably go to Hennepin. (604 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a snifter on 8/26/09

A - Pale & very hazy gold in color. Poured a two finger head riddled with bubbles. It settled some but remaind fluffy. Pretty good retention throughout. Rather impressive lacing.

S - Upon initial smell it seemed very grassy, similar to a humid prairie. A closer whiff reveals spices - clove & ginger, hints of fruit - sweet apple & white grapes. A spot of cinnamon in there, too.

T - The taste upfront follows closely the nose; grassy - wheat & hay. Warmth of the beer makes apparent an interesting malt character that resembles fresh baked bread that is immediately toasted. Spicy clove. A dab of orange peel.

M - Reasonably zesty carbonation. Medium, yet dense, mouth feel. Kind of gritty (though not resiny). At times the beer boarders on loitering. Hmm, strange...

D - I am kind of iffy with this beer. I liked it enough, but something didn't fully click. For me, the aroma was the high-point by far. I'm glad I tried it but am in no hurry to drink another. (1,000 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330ml bottle. Foam leaked from bottle top and poured with big white head with foam peaks. Settled to 1/2 inch head and held. Golden with orange hue, hazy, and heavily carbonated. Sediment.

Aroma is has a light strawberry, nutmeg, pear and vanilla.

Taste is creamy, malty, with light crackery malt and bitter. Tannins and slight tart

Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonated.

Overall, a smooth tasty saison (415 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%

A: I love the bottle. I feel like I need to be on a picnic when I'm drinking it. Pours a soft cloudy straw orange-yellow body with a generous off-white head.
S: Grains, bananas, cloves.
T: A little less flavor than I was expecting after the smell. Begins more bitter than was expecting, too. Some green apple bitterness sneaks through, and it has a pretty dry finish.
M: Lively carbonation that doesn't dull down after the bottle's been open for awhile.
D: Split a 750ml with a friend; probably good as the carbonation makes it pretty filling. (543 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Saison, one of my least favorite styles from Belgium. Still, Saison duPont on the shelf and I'd never had it before so I'll give it a shot.

Pours a honey gold with a marshmallowy, meringue-like head of cream. Nice lacing as it trails down the glass.

spicey with subtle citrus, the yeast charcter is present but not overly prominent. The beer is a little too cold to be sure at this point.

Very crisp, very clean taste. Again, sbutle yeast character. I little tart, almost sour? Not sure if its acid I taste or if its the play off the high degree of carbonation...speaking of which...

this beer is highly carbonated and spunky in the glass. It is very light bodied but not watery. As the hallmark saison, this is the body against which all others should be measured.

Very nice overall. Again, not my fav. style, but given the givens.... (840 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

375mL bottle appropriately served in a Saison Dupont glass. Vintage 2011.

A- pours with a massive foamy head. Light golden, fairly clear due to pouring the first half of the bottle.

S- Grassy, slight hint of lemon. Some funk.

T- True to the smell. Funky and grassy. Not as dry as I remember.

M- Thin, more subdued than I'd expect given the lively head.

O- A very solid brew, and a classic example of the style. That said, not my favorite and there are better values out there that I like better. (500 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A very good summer beer. Not bad in the winter either. Pair it with spicy asian food.

Serving was a 750 ml bottle.

Poured a hazy pale gold with a monster of a head that withdrew fairly quickly leaving scattered clumps of lace.

Smell was cloves,apples and floral notes.

Taste was spicy and fruity with hints of green apples and some hints of fresh bread dough,

Mouthfeel was full bodied with fine carbonation.

Very drinkable, I suspect it is an even better brew with food. (489 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Golden haze with high carb and lots of light, frothy foam.

S: Most of the smell is clove and nutmeg, a few faint citrus notes as well.

T&M: Strong clove and bitter green apple flavors. Light and bubbly mouthfeel with little aftertaste other than alcohol.

D: Overall this is a highly drinkable Belgian Saison. Crisp, apple-like with a certain bitterness that is not overbearing. Although this is a quality ale, I have other favs that I would likely buy before this. (470 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer. I had it today at our beer tasting at my work, Wines Unlimited and it had an entire array of exotic flavors. When I looked at the beer in my tasting glass, It looked yellowish, with hints of green reflection glow. Good head, and retention. The smell was intense and could be smelled at least 3 feet away. It smelled of grass, hops, skunk, and I caught a note of sweetness in the smell. Then I drank it slowly, the flavors really explode on the palate and lingers well after the consumption. This I think is a world class beer. (554 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%

With this beer you need to let it sit for a moment as it will get rid of the skunk smell and become the traditional smelling beer. The golden unfiltered beer was poured into a pint glass and let sit till the foam started to settle. The taste is amazing as it gives a floweral and cloves of tastes. Overall an amazing beer to have. (330 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy pale orange colour, thumb of head with solid retention and some nice sporadic lacing.

S - Heavy skunk, fruity citrus, orange rind, hints of spice with pepper, coriander and lemon on the finish.

T - Much like the nose, the heavy skunk unfortunately dominates, the sour citrus comes through alongside some funky yeast, with a lemon iced tea and hints of lemon drops with a peppered finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - I had read that there could be infected or skunky batch floating around the LCBO, and unfortunately I think I was subject to this aforementioned group. That being said, a flavourful brew was detectable amidst the skunk. I would give this brew another chance, but unfortunately I know my local LCBO likely won't be privy to another batch. (785 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First ever beer review.. lets go!

12.7oz green bottle poured into a tulip

A - pours a murky pale golden color reminiscent of hay. Strong persistent bubbles up to a nice big clean head that quickly dies down to next to nothing. Very slight swirling brings the head right back.

S - Not being prejudice against the green bottle but this thing is skunked. Strong upfront skunkiness that is hard to get past, cost it a point or so. Nice belgian yeast character with light undertones of banana and some spicy alcohol shine through though and improves a lot as it warms up. I get some vegetal hop aromas, kind of grassy.

T - Nice and citrusy/yeasty with that spicy alcohol. A touch of banana and spice. Firm dry bitterness that lingers just a tad, balancing out the slight upfront sweetness.

M - Creamy with a slight carbonation bite. Almost acidic, but not unpleasant at all.

O - Great beer, even being skunked. Or maybe I am just not too familiar with the style and Saisons are supposed to have a strong skunk aroma? I would definitely be interested in trying another bottle to maybe see its full potential. (1,108 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle.

Pours a pale yellow with a huge head. The smell is extremely yeasty/floral and funky. The taste has a ton of funkiness on the palate and ends very dry...very very dry. Because of this its not very drinkable to me. It has a light body with very high carbonation.

Overall cant say i enjoy this beer very much. I know it gets some high reviews but i just dont see it that way. (390 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%

In the glass this looks a honied, murky brownish orange, topped by a thick bubbly head that sticks around and looks healthy and fresh right until the very end.

The aroma is yeasty and musty with pale malts and some notes of apples and pears and lemongrass. Um. Fairly unimpressive, actually.

The taste is so light yet lively and complex, dry with an underlying layer of white pepper throughout balanced against a light fruitiness with a tart though punchy finish and a herbal bitter aftertaste that zeroes out the palate nicely. What malt I can detect is a little grainy. There's some definite barnyard funk and earthiness to this one. Alcohol is a little more detectable than would be ideal. All of these aspects work well together but yet there's something not completely jibing here for me.

Well attenuated, dry, crisp and refreshing yet smooth.

Overall I think it's a hallmark of the style, but I would hope in the sense that it allows a foundation for others to build on and refine rather than duplicate, as there's a sort of disharmony at the root of this beer for me. (1,078 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance – Pours densely cloudy yellow, yet full of light, with a three finger off-white head supported by the serious carbonation.

Smell – Strong yeast with many medium, deeper fruit aromas and some leafy odors. Complex

Taste – Multifaceted spiciness from the yeast with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Some hops are detectable, but [to my palate] either masked by the significant yeast contribution or seamlessly blended with it.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and full and heavily carbonated as appropriate for the style. Slight puckering effect in my mouth.

Drinkability – Exceptional with a appetizers or even heavier foods. I would submit this is a fine picnic wine. (678 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

I can't say I was absolutely stunned by saison dupont- after the whole hype I was on when someone finally brought it from the states for me- but still found it to be a decent beer.

I had the bottle laying down and could see the yeast settle at the bottom. when I poured it it also came out, but I like that. a bit opaque but very bright, between a bronze and an orange tone. the head- massive and strongly retentive- was a creamy white topping. nice.

The smell was the first thing I thought for it as for the taste: duvel. bordeline sweet but dry, a bit of alcohol, fruity and complex. a bit wheaty.

The taste can be described basically the same way....except it had a very dry finish. kind of a big contrast for me, because all-in-all i was expecting what I'd think was a "classic" belgian sort of finish. I'm no hophead, and this finish was strong enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like a bit of a crossover between a belgian pale and an american pale. anders, the beer was rather good, just not one I'll be asking for [that often]. (1,078 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: Very hackneyed phrase but head dominates on the pour. Extremely light bright white bubbles with loads of carbonation (perhaps even more so after being in my backpack after a long bike ride from Whole Foods). Hazy yellow with no visible signs of yeast.

Smell: Citrus with a slight Belgian yeast presence. Hop character not very pronounced at all. A bit of barnyard funk.

Taste: Quite refreshing although the hop content was a little more than what I expected; perhaps I'm not that familiar with the Saison style especially if this is considered a standard among the industry. Very solid beer.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light mouthfeel considering the 6.5% ABV. I suppose this is a welcome feature but it sneaks up on you nonetheless. Carbonation is clearly evident and adds a significantly to the beer-drinking experience.

Overall: Definitely would buy this beer again but not before I tried other Saisons. Incredibly enjoyable but I admittedly would prefer a little more malt character to balance out the hops or alternatively lower the hop level. (1,064 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

300ml bottle poured in a dimpled mug.

Hazy, murky dirty water - yellow in appearance. Big 2 inch merangue like head on the pour. Recedes to 1/2 inch with lots of sticky lacing.

Almost smells like champagne. Sharp spiciness with some cloves with that ever present Belgian yeast character.

Sharp flavour. Slightly sour with some funk. I really don't know how to describe this. Unique.

Tight bubbles, aggressively carbonated. Medium bodied with a slight sharpness to it.

A very interesting beer, and the first true example of the style I've had. Can't say it's my favourite, but an interesting experience. (617 characters)

Presentation: 750ml (26oz) "champagne wine" bottle. 6.5% ABV

Appearance: A cloudy white / pale yellow colour with way too much white foam. When correctly poured, I got 2/3 foam head on a 1/3 fluid body. It dissappeared slowly.

Smell: A mix of yeast and alcohol.

Taste: It is very balanced. Yeast, bread, bitter hops tastes with some citrus (lemon) in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Excellent thin and creamy mouthfeel. It is easy to drink and very tasty.

Drinkability: Maybe because that's my first saison style beer, but I think that I didn't found all the qualities of this product yet. I didn't dislike what I drank. (630 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What's so great about farmhouse ale? Well I'm about to find out. On to the beer:

A- Cloudy blonde, topped by a big rocky head.

S- Drying tartness. Touch of phenolic and bubblegum.

T- Lightly flavored and very dry. Maybe too dry. It gets better as it warms because it becomes more flavorful. Mixed fruits and medicinal flavors stand out the most. Dash of spice in the aftertaste.

M- Firm, the carbonation is melded very well with the beer.

D- I can sip and enjoy this one.

Not bad, but I expected a better experience. My question of what's so great about farmhouse ale remains unanswered at this point. (612 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Caged, corked and in bomber bottle - an easy off cork compared to many of those I've had recently. One easy twist and the beer was mine!

Huge creamy head that takes up better than a third of the glass, pillowing up in the middle and receding at the edges, white with hues of tan and orange. Slightly hazed golden.

Like wild flowers and fresh air, with a the hops being pretty reserved. Grassy and some lemony citrus too. Some skunk as well, but I cannot speak to the freshness of the beer.

Relatively dry, characteristically saison, with all of the farmy, citrus and hoppiness you might expect. What separates this from others is the balance achieved with each of those - not one of them overpowers the other. In the same respect, it is somewhat boring. Subtle skunk comes through here as well, but I'm not sure I can distinguish it from the farm.

There's a pop of carbonation on the tongue, delivering a mild burn - a bit too much for my taste.

No doubt a good beer, but after the marked hype around it being world class, I'm not sure I can agree. (1,058 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

I did a blind taste test of this next to Ommegang's Hennepin and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

The pour is a cloudy yellow with a tall head of white. Decent lacing and retention.

Dupont has the most subtle aroma of the three, which was a bit of sign of things to come. Sour apples, cloves and pepper lightly rise to the nose.

The taste is the least sweet of the three and primarily consists of sour apples. Also cloves, anise, and that pepper again. I was not tremendously impressed with the taste, yet it did offer a complexity on the palate that I didn't find in the others.

High carbonation seems usual for saisons and doesn't cause any problems here. However, the aftertaste is bone dry and not to my liking.

An interesting beer that stood out from the pack, not in its superiority, but in it's uniqueness. My brother rated this his favorite of the three and it was my least. To each his own. (902 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass.

Pours a very nice slightly orange but mostly yellow color with a big foamy head and a nice light amount of lacing. Aroma Has a slight tinge of spunkiness to it. Bitter lemon and some spicy white pepper come through. Also has a big lemony oily aroma that is intriguing. ReaLoy floral flavors with some rose pedal, white asparagus and some pink peppercorns on the tip of the tongue. Has a nice bitter mid palate and subtle sweetness on the finish to balance out this saison. Slight skunky notes of hot rubber and some bacon fat but still tasty. These green bottles need to go. The mouthfeel is very nice, smooth carbonation and crisp finish. Food friendly also. Drinkability falls just above average for me because it's not the most delicious beer but with the occasion and meal this works. (844 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours golden, brownish-orange, hazy appearance, with a full, rocky, tightly beaded head and lacing.

S: unfortunately had a skunky aroma, after awhile the skunkiness flashed off and left it with a refreshing, citrus-fruit and slightly floral aroma.

T: Begins with a dried fruit, cherry-like flavor, combines with earthiness, then a clovy taste works its way in. Ends with an earthy, slightly mouth-watering bitterness. A very refreshing flavor. After awhile an orange citrus flavor is present in the beginning. Reminds me of a light tripel.

M: Very fluffy and light, adds to the refreshingness of the beer.

D: More drinkable than a tripel, nice flavor complexity balanced with a light mouthfeel makes for a refreshing beer. I could enjoy a number of these.

Edit: I was going to change my review because 3.85 seems awfully low for a beer this enjoyable. However, I noticed that other reviewers noticed the skunkiness. It is unfortunate that the shippers and distributors aren't helping but neither is the green bottle. I let my scoring stand but if you can let the skunkiness flash off then this is a great beer well worth drinking. (1,178 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a green bottle into my Chimay chalice...

A - Beer pours a huge frothy white head and looks outstanding, is more clear than I recall from previous tastings. Lacing sticks around for awhile and clings to the glass. The last pour did pour a TON of sediment into the glass... but first two were rather perfect.

S - In a word, skunky. I've come to think that they must know when they put this beer in a clear light green bottle that it's going to have a bit of a skunky nose. There really isn't much in the nose of this beer beyond a skunkiness and maybe a touch of honey sweetness. I'm not as put off by a slight skunk to the smell as some... better not be any in the actual taste though!

T - as I suspected/hoped, the taste is herbal and earthy with a honey or apple like sweetness and none of the skunk of the nose in the actual taste of the beer. There is a sweetness but also a lingering tartness to the taste and they balance pretty perfectly. A great session beer in my opinion.. a spiciness and some phenolics from the yeast that are absolutely delightful.

M - Beer starts out fruity and smooth, is REALLY well carbonated, but finishes dry and quickly. The aftertaste that does linger on the palate is fantastic..

O - Well, there's not much to not like here.. minus the skunk in the nose, this is one great saison. Sessionable and probably would go with a ton of food that I like... (1,407 characters)

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl