Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,731 | Reviews: 1,521
3.79/5  rDev -9.3%

In the glass this looks a honied, murky brownish orange, topped by a thick bubbly head that sticks around and looks healthy and fresh right until the very end.

The aroma is yeasty and musty with pale malts and some notes of apples and pears and lemongrass. Um. Fairly unimpressive, actually.

The taste is so light yet lively and complex, dry with an underlying layer of white pepper throughout balanced against a light fruitiness with a tart though punchy finish and a herbal bitter aftertaste that zeroes out the palate nicely. What malt I can detect is a little grainy. There's some definite barnyard funk and earthiness to this one. Alcohol is a little more detectable than would be ideal. All of these aspects work well together but yet there's something not completely jibing here for me.

Well attenuated, dry, crisp and refreshing yet smooth.

Overall I think it's a hallmark of the style, but I would hope in the sense that it allows a foundation for others to build on and refine rather than duplicate, as there's a sort of disharmony at the root of this beer for me.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance – Pours densely cloudy yellow, yet full of light, with a three finger off-white head supported by the serious carbonation.

Smell – Strong yeast with many medium, deeper fruit aromas and some leafy odors. Complex

Taste – Multifaceted spiciness from the yeast with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Some hops are detectable, but [to my palate] either masked by the significant yeast contribution or seamlessly blended with it.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and full and heavily carbonated as appropriate for the style. Slight puckering effect in my mouth.

Drinkability – Exceptional with a appetizers or even heavier foods. I would submit this is a fine picnic wine.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

I can't say I was absolutely stunned by saison dupont- after the whole hype I was on when someone finally brought it from the states for me- but still found it to be a decent beer.

I had the bottle laying down and could see the yeast settle at the bottom. when I poured it it also came out, but I like that. a bit opaque but very bright, between a bronze and an orange tone. the head- massive and strongly retentive- was a creamy white topping. nice.

The smell was the first thing I thought for it as for the taste: duvel. bordeline sweet but dry, a bit of alcohol, fruity and complex. a bit wheaty.

The taste can be described basically the same way....except it had a very dry finish. kind of a big contrast for me, because all-in-all i was expecting what I'd think was a "classic" belgian sort of finish. I'm no hophead, and this finish was strong enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like a bit of a crossover between a belgian pale and an american pale. anders, the beer was rather good, just not one I'll be asking for [that often].

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Very hackneyed phrase but head dominates on the pour. Extremely light bright white bubbles with loads of carbonation (perhaps even more so after being in my backpack after a long bike ride from Whole Foods). Hazy yellow with no visible signs of yeast.

Smell: Citrus with a slight Belgian yeast presence. Hop character not very pronounced at all. A bit of barnyard funk.

Taste: Quite refreshing although the hop content was a little more than what I expected; perhaps I'm not that familiar with the Saison style especially if this is considered a standard among the industry. Very solid beer.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light mouthfeel considering the 6.5% ABV. I suppose this is a welcome feature but it sneaks up on you nonetheless. Carbonation is clearly evident and adds a significantly to the beer-drinking experience.

Overall: Definitely would buy this beer again but not before I tried other Saisons. Incredibly enjoyable but I admittedly would prefer a little more malt character to balance out the hops or alternatively lower the hop level.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

300ml bottle poured in a dimpled mug.

Hazy, murky dirty water - yellow in appearance. Big 2 inch merangue like head on the pour. Recedes to 1/2 inch with lots of sticky lacing.

Almost smells like champagne. Sharp spiciness with some cloves with that ever present Belgian yeast character.

Sharp flavour. Slightly sour with some funk. I really don't know how to describe this. Unique.

Tight bubbles, aggressively carbonated. Medium bodied with a slight sharpness to it.

A very interesting beer, and the first true example of the style I've had. Can't say it's my favourite, but an interesting experience.

Presentation: 750ml (26oz) "champagne wine" bottle. 6.5% ABV

Appearance: A cloudy white / pale yellow colour with way too much white foam. When correctly poured, I got 2/3 foam head on a 1/3 fluid body. It dissappeared slowly.

Smell: A mix of yeast and alcohol.

Taste: It is very balanced. Yeast, bread, bitter hops tastes with some citrus (lemon) in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Excellent thin and creamy mouthfeel. It is easy to drink and very tasty.

Drinkability: Maybe because that's my first saison style beer, but I think that I didn't found all the qualities of this product yet. I didn't dislike what I drank.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What's so great about farmhouse ale? Well I'm about to find out. On to the beer:

A- Cloudy blonde, topped by a big rocky head.

S- Drying tartness. Touch of phenolic and bubblegum.

T- Lightly flavored and very dry. Maybe too dry. It gets better as it warms because it becomes more flavorful. Mixed fruits and medicinal flavors stand out the most. Dash of spice in the aftertaste.

M- Firm, the carbonation is melded very well with the beer.

D- I can sip and enjoy this one.

Not bad, but I expected a better experience. My question of what's so great about farmhouse ale remains unanswered at this point.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Caged, corked and in bomber bottle - an easy off cork compared to many of those I've had recently. One easy twist and the beer was mine!

Huge creamy head that takes up better than a third of the glass, pillowing up in the middle and receding at the edges, white with hues of tan and orange. Slightly hazed golden.

Like wild flowers and fresh air, with a the hops being pretty reserved. Grassy and some lemony citrus too. Some skunk as well, but I cannot speak to the freshness of the beer.

Relatively dry, characteristically saison, with all of the farmy, citrus and hoppiness you might expect. What separates this from others is the balance achieved with each of those - not one of them overpowers the other. In the same respect, it is somewhat boring. Subtle skunk comes through here as well, but I'm not sure I can distinguish it from the farm.

There's a pop of carbonation on the tongue, delivering a mild burn - a bit too much for my taste.

No doubt a good beer, but after the marked hype around it being world class, I'm not sure I can agree.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

I did a blind taste test of this next to Ommegang's Hennepin and the Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale.

The pour is a cloudy yellow with a tall head of white. Decent lacing and retention.

Dupont has the most subtle aroma of the three, which was a bit of sign of things to come. Sour apples, cloves and pepper lightly rise to the nose.

The taste is the least sweet of the three and primarily consists of sour apples. Also cloves, anise, and that pepper again. I was not tremendously impressed with the taste, yet it did offer a complexity on the palate that I didn't find in the others.

High carbonation seems usual for saisons and doesn't cause any problems here. However, the aftertaste is bone dry and not to my liking.

An interesting beer that stood out from the pack, not in its superiority, but in it's uniqueness. My brother rated this his favorite of the three and it was my least. To each his own.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass.

Pours a very nice slightly orange but mostly yellow color with a big foamy head and a nice light amount of lacing. Aroma Has a slight tinge of spunkiness to it. Bitter lemon and some spicy white pepper come through. Also has a big lemony oily aroma that is intriguing. ReaLoy floral flavors with some rose pedal, white asparagus and some pink peppercorns on the tip of the tongue. Has a nice bitter mid palate and subtle sweetness on the finish to balance out this saison. Slight skunky notes of hot rubber and some bacon fat but still tasty. These green bottles need to go. The mouthfeel is very nice, smooth carbonation and crisp finish. Food friendly also. Drinkability falls just above average for me because it's not the most delicious beer but with the occasion and meal this works.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours golden, brownish-orange, hazy appearance, with a full, rocky, tightly beaded head and lacing.

S: unfortunately had a skunky aroma, after awhile the skunkiness flashed off and left it with a refreshing, citrus-fruit and slightly floral aroma.

T: Begins with a dried fruit, cherry-like flavor, combines with earthiness, then a clovy taste works its way in. Ends with an earthy, slightly mouth-watering bitterness. A very refreshing flavor. After awhile an orange citrus flavor is present in the beginning. Reminds me of a light tripel.

M: Very fluffy and light, adds to the refreshingness of the beer.

D: More drinkable than a tripel, nice flavor complexity balanced with a light mouthfeel makes for a refreshing beer. I could enjoy a number of these.

Edit: I was going to change my review because 3.85 seems awfully low for a beer this enjoyable. However, I noticed that other reviewers noticed the skunkiness. It is unfortunate that the shippers and distributors aren't helping but neither is the green bottle. I let my scoring stand but if you can let the skunkiness flash off then this is a great beer well worth drinking.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a green bottle into my Chimay chalice...

A - Beer pours a huge frothy white head and looks outstanding, is more clear than I recall from previous tastings. Lacing sticks around for awhile and clings to the glass. The last pour did pour a TON of sediment into the glass... but first two were rather perfect.

S - In a word, skunky. I've come to think that they must know when they put this beer in a clear light green bottle that it's going to have a bit of a skunky nose. There really isn't much in the nose of this beer beyond a skunkiness and maybe a touch of honey sweetness. I'm not as put off by a slight skunk to the smell as some... better not be any in the actual taste though!

T - as I suspected/hoped, the taste is herbal and earthy with a honey or apple like sweetness and none of the skunk of the nose in the actual taste of the beer. There is a sweetness but also a lingering tartness to the taste and they balance pretty perfectly. A great session beer in my opinion.. a spiciness and some phenolics from the yeast that are absolutely delightful.

M - Beer starts out fruity and smooth, is REALLY well carbonated, but finishes dry and quickly. The aftertaste that does linger on the palate is fantastic..

O - Well, there's not much to not like here.. minus the skunk in the nose, this is one great saison. Sessionable and probably would go with a ton of food that I like...

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Saison Dupont pours a cloudy yellow with some yeasties floating around in it. A big, fluffy, white head sits on top. It smells very lemony and a bit yeasty. There is some grassiness in there, too.

The flavor also has those lemony notes to it with some pilsner malt flavor. There is some hop bitterness on the back with a bit of sourness. The mouthfeel is medium/thin with very high carbonation.

Overall, this is a nice, refreshing summer beer.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Very attractive beer. Bright golden streams tiny bubbles champagne-like. Large-bubbled head is pure white and robust. Elegant and best suited for an elegant glass. Bright flavor is citrusy, mildly estery and I occasionly picked up cheesey notes. The light body is prickly with carbonation, but not unpleasantly so.

3.76/5  rDev -10%

Nice golden unfiltred beer with a generous head that stayed the course, very foamy, lot of sediments floating around.

Smell: Unfortunately for me the green "champenoise" bottle did "skunked" the beer in smell but, just very shy. Some coriandre smells and spices are present.

Taste is a bit spicy, watery with a shy fruit note.

A bit dissapointed actually

3.76/5  rDev -10%

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with huge foamy white head. Slight lacing down the glass
S: Smell is peppery, slight honey smell as well as alcohol. Also has a slight skunky scent to it but not in a bad way.
T: Fruity up front with a dry aftertaste. You can taste alchohol here as well
M: Medium bodied, pretty easy drinking.
D: I liked this one, good to share bottle with somebody cause I dont think I could do one alone. Thanks to gclarkage for this bottle.

3.76/5  rDev -10%

A - pours a golden yellow with a massive head. Nothing about its appearance made me excited to drink it.

S - Beautiful nose - a lot of sweet pears, tart apples and a lot of earth

T - starts off really sweet with a very tart apples, almost bitterly tart. This fades to some earth/dirt, then acidic orange peel and a little bit of a metallic taste lingers on the finish. Not a bad little saison.

M - Nice body, but a little watery. This also leaves a very dry finish.

D - this is a very good saison. Nice and fruity and earthy that leaves a dry finish, leaving you wanting more. I really enjoyed this classic for the style and will seek it out in the future.

3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage...

A: Pours a light cloudy lemon straw with one and a half fingers of pure white head. The foam takes a bit to settle, and there is some decent lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is funk, light citrus, slightly salty, and little peppery. I get some barnyard funk, stinky feet, and quality cheese out of it as well.

T: It starts out sweet with some citrus tartness. The get a big kick of barnyard funk in the middle where it gets a thin veil of pepper bite. The finish is bitter and a bit stinging.

M: Light bodied beer. Sweet and watery to start, but the yeast drives to the end, where it's bitter and ultimately, a bit dry.

O: This is a decent beer, but I have had many other Saisons that I enjoy much more. I don't think I'll be returning to this beer in the future.

3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't like this beer as much as i thought i would, this is my first saison which may mean i don't like the style that much as others are saying this the standard to which others are judged. The foam is just too much. There's great foamy beers like Piraat but this is just a step over the top. The carbonation seems to domintate all aspects of the taste. It's like champange but much more intense. I poured it into a wine glass and when the glass 1/3 full of beer the rest is complete foam which holds for minutes. So it took a good 6 or 7 pours to finish the bottle. Then you burp 100 times. For that matter the smell is not very pleasant. Now that said this is a pretty tasty, good beer. The taste itself is certainly the high lite. I would try it once to see if you like it.(since many do) It's just that there many better belgians(duvel or piraat, to name two that are similar in color) out there that cost the same. (6.99)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer presented a hazy golden color with a thick dense head fed by champagne bubbles. Frothy, snowy lace left on the glass. An aroma of malty roasted grains balanced by fruit, hints of apples. The smell of this beer reminds me of a wonderful brewing process. Medium malt character up front with a mild hop finish. A distinct sourness comes late (after a few minutes. Fresh, light mouth feel, very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a nice straw color. Has a decent, lasting head, and tons of lacing. A slight acidic smell, some spices in the nose. Tastes bright in the mouth, with a lingering tartness. I think I finally understand what people mean when they talk about the "horse blanket" smell of some belgian beers. I like some belgians, and hate others. This is one that I could drink for a night.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Been drinking a lot of Saisons lately.

A: Massive, soapy, bright white head tops this dull yellow brew. Bubbles continuously rise assisting in the heads strong retention and thick ample lacing.

S: Fair amount of spice, honey, floral notes, but very little funk. I like my Saisons funky.

T: Similar to the smell, quite bold in the flavor department. Like the smell indicated, very little funk.

M: Extremely high carbonated medium bodied brew.

O: I enjoyed the brew, but don't think I will buy again soon. Missed the funk too much!

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance is golden in color with a thick head. Smell has an deep earthiness to it with spice and citrus. Taste is earthy, light with a big hit of carbonation with a bitter saline aftertaste, (reminding me of a club soda). mouthfeel is light and dry, not what I really expected, but still a good experience.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

A very light straw colored brew with a massive, never-dying white head on top. The glass is covered in sticky sheets of lace as you go through it. Yeasty aroma with citrus hints and fruity sweetness. It also has some pale malts in there.

A very crisp brew for the summer. Citrus notes make it refreshing, and the tingly carbonation is great, but it is at times overpowering. The flavor is not at all that impressive. It has a nice pale grainy character with lots of yeast flavor. The mouthfeel and drinkability are the real winners in this brew.

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%

Overwhelming head. Starts with a 10 to 1 ratio of foam to liquid. As it settles, some flashes of lace remain on the glass. Lumpy. The liquid is hazy with a green tinge to the straw color. Large chunks of lace after each sip.

Earthy and sour, like a touch of lemon. Here's something unusual--I smell cooked meat (pork?). Don't know why...

Strong barnyard flavor. Quite sour, which remains long after the swallow. Relatively thin bodied, highly carbonated. There's a bit of light pepper on the edge. There's also a touch of chalk, thyme and hop bitterness. Complex.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl