Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,728 | Reviews: 1,520
3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

popped the cork and out came a cloudy, light golden, hazy brew. lots of little particles. nice head, but not overly foamy. good retention and leaves a little lace.

smells similar to hoegarden and paulaner hefe. is there coriander in this stuff? maybe some other things going on in the background, a bit of hay and husk.

not much flavor up front, some mellow hay and faint dried apricot. somewhat spicy midpalate ends in a very powdery aspirin bitterness with a hint of lemon. pretty dry.

major carbonation and a pretty light body.

saison dupont is supposed to be sturdy enough to take some aging but refreshing enough to drink as a summer quencher. in my opinion 6.5% is too high an abv for this task, and the aspirin quality is a bit over the top for any season. not bad, but not something that i'd want to drink very often. at 7.49 a bottle, i guess that's fortunate.

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured in a champagne flute.

Liquid is a thin, glowing yellow with a vibrant carbonation. Head is initially large, but fizzles quickly. Lacing is attractively wrapped around the base of the glass.

Aromas range from dry lemon zest to tart fruits; basically the textbook farmhouse aroma. Thankfully, it has a delightfully musky odor that makes this style so appealing.

Banana esthers, liberal spicing and coriander open - almost as if this were a witbier - followed by a heavy dose of dryness, which is much more resonant than most of this style. It seems to move from polar opposites (flavor wise) at an astounding rate. It's good, but definitely needs to find a balance.

The tingle of the carbonation and the spicing are quite the opening, but the concluding dryness is a bit too strong, but not enough to take away from the preceding feel.

As it warms, some of the unbalanced characteristics seem to temper, but I must wholeheartedly admit that I've always found this Saison a bit disappointing, despite its reputation.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: After I uncaged the bottle, I thought the cork was going to come out itself. Poured into my tulip glass with a very inviting cloudy bright orange color. A 3 and a half finger white head built quickly on this one.

Smell: I wasn't impressed here at first but it kind of grew on me. At first it was comparable to a low grade pils, but then some nice citrus aromas started coming through. Eventually it just lost aroma altogether, turning into a clean inoffensive breath inwards. Confusing.

Taste: Nice and light with hints of citrus at first, some hoppiness comes through, but then it turns sour... literally. I'm not sure what to think about that change, but it wasn't bad. There is a grassy note in there somewhere and a bittering finish that adds just the right amount of bite. Refreshing after cooling off an hour or so after running.

Notes: What a strange brew this is. It's my first of the saison style, and probably won't be my last. My only complaint, and the thing that will probably keep me from buying this for wuite sometime is the hefty price that comes on a glass of this. It was about 6 dollars... Ouch.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

750ml bottle , 2010 vintage, poured into tulip pint.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color, with hundreds of tiny bubbles flowing upwards at any point. At least four fingers of towering, foamy, white head, and great lacing- one side of my glass looks like it has a head of its own.

S: Musty, slightly 'barnyard' smelling yeast appears first and is quickly followed by a bouquet of hops- earthy, floral, and grassy hops are all prevalent. Lots of light, sweet, citrus flavors too- orange and lemon peel- and some peppery spices, particularly coriander.

T: Sweet and moderately funky; the yeast is a little overbearing here. Peppery and earthy tones compliment but never balance the yeast, and the finish follows much of the taste- sweet, peppery, and tangy.

M: Light and creamy, thanks to the lively carbonation. Smooth, with a slightly dry finish.

D: A moderately enjoyable beer, but the balance here is too much in favor of this particular yeasty flavor for me to be really excited about having another one soon.

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

Wow, my first review in a long time. This is only my third saison, so I'm not sure If I really understand the style yet, but here it goes.
Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Hapkin glass. Needed all that extra room because it produced a vigorous head. My first thought when I smelled it was, "Wow this is skunked". But maybe that is how it supposed to smell. Another Saison I had smelled the same. Ended up tasting pretty great. Fruity sweetness mixed with corriander and a lingering bitterness. The most enjoyable of the few saisons I've had. Would go great with any dinner that calls for white wine. Definately worth picking up.

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours gold with a large, lasting head.
Nose shows floral and herbal hops, something like coriander, doughy yeast and spicy phenols.
Similar flavours with doughy yeast, spicy notes, cooked vegetables and minerals leading to a dry finish.
Very high carbonation.
Pretty refreshing but I’m not impressed with the cooked vegie taste.

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Pour is a hazy golden peach color, with a monsterous thick white head. Head dissipates slowly to a good clinging lace, lots of tiny bubbles race to the top to help keep the consistent head and lacing. Aroma is grassy, sour (lemon), and moderately yeasty. Flavor is sweet, then sour, acidic, and a mild bitterness at the end. Body is medium in strength, very dry in the finish, and strongly carbonated.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy orange with large white head that lasts with plenty of lacing.

S - Belgian yeast, a little horse and straw, citrus.

T - Pretty hoppy saison. Earthy and bitter. Hop quality combines nicely with the (ugh) horseblanket (we have to come up with a better descriptor, y'all). Sweet at first then finishes dry and hoppy.

M - Very bubbly on the tongue with a nice thin body. Maybe it's the carbonation making it appear this. Either way, it feels great.

D - Eh, I thought good at first, but now that I'm down to the end, I'd want it over soon. It's good, very dry. It loses points here because the carbonation's making me a little too burpy.

Reviewed 3/26/2006 (750mL bottle):

Pours a cloudy yellow opaque colored body with a big white head, and decent lacing. Has an aroma of flowers, some hops, a subtle aroma. Flavor is reminiscent of Hoegaarden, very strong perfume. Frothy, warm, good mouthfeel.

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

A- cloudy but a bubbly golden beer, huge fluffy white head with amazing or annoying retent, you chose

S- floral and medicinal

T- mild fruity malt characters, some pear, mellow citrus, well balanced, earthy and grainy as well. spicy hints at finish

M- smooth with a dry finish and after

D- great example of saison and very enjoyable/drinkable, but not my favorite. recommended for style

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the caged, corked green bottle. Sampled on December 17, 2011. The cork explodes off the bottle and flies into the next room and the foam erupts out of the bottle. The pour is cloudy yellow with a tremendous long-lasting foamy head. The aroma is a nice mixture of yeast, light grains, citrus, and a pleasing hop bite. Very typical of a Belgian Farmhouse. The body is light to medium but also creamy. The taste has a dash of pepper mixed in with the light malts and vaguely sour finish. It is too bad they don't put it in a brown bottle.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a large tulip glass. Cork reads 2012, was purchased at Total Wine in Redondo Beach in July 2013.

A: beautiful full gold hazy color, thick white head. Almost seems to glow.

S: clean smelling, with a little yeast

T: slightly citrus, a little sour. A little finish of pine

M: Very carbonated, but light feeling

Overall a very good beer for a hot summer afternoon. Light and refreshing

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

A- Somewhat cloudy golden yellow body with a white tightly packed one inch head. Nice lacing left over after the head eventually dies down.

S- Smelled almost like a pilsner at first. Sharp spices came in followed by yeast. Not much of an nose here.

T- Phenols totally dominate the taste of this brew. The beer then takes a turn with pepper and yeast. A bit bland from what im used to in this category. Very dry finish.

M- Fresh smoothness.

D- Very refreshing Ive seen better mainly from Fantome, I still cant deny this being a solid very drinkable brew.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: cloudy, gold in color, one inch head, high carbonation, some brown sediment

Smell: wet grass, lemon, herbs, and pepper

Taste: wet grass, lemon, belgain spice, and pepper

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, a bit bitter/sour

Drinkability: I could see how people would love this beer, but it is not my thing. The funk is really present and so are the Belgian spices. At times this tastes like a witbier. The beer is complex and is worth a try. I am just not likely to get it for the price.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Gold color – white thin head – harsh sour green apple, ginger - sour green apples, yeast dry chalk – light body – aftertaste slightly bitter, dry Gold color – white thin head – harsh sour green apple, ginger - sour green apples, yeast dry chalk – light body – aftertaste slightly bitter, dry

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

33cl bottle poured in snifter.

Pours a deep cloudy amber color with a small head. Nice citrus nose with a bit of sweetness and tart to it. Very Pleasant.

Very interesting taste. Clean and sharp with a taste that lingers. Leaved an odd taste but it's surprisingly good. Very different and somewhat pungent. I have to say this is quite good for the style, worth checking out!

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle: Poured a huge clear golden brew (after the cork blew out of that one) with a huge head with medium retention. Aroma is a mix of spice and malts with some citrus flavour being omnipresent. Taste is like a good Belgian ale with again the citrus flavour really coming out of that one. Carbonation is good with excellent medium body. Overall, a very good example of the saison style. The only downside is that the green bottle doesn’t seem to keep the beer very well. I’ve had too many bad past experience of this beer being skunked. I have another bottle of that batch that I will try to age.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

yellow and hazy with moderate sediment; huge thick rocky white head, kind of fluffy. attractive.
nose is overwhelmingly yeast and citrus, like lemon. refreshing smell.
crisp and refreshing. light to medium body with quick dry finish. lots of yeast. has a bite to it.
this is not my style. I give it credit for quality and craftsmanship and being an interesting beer.

12.7 oz. bottle into a wine glass

Pours a murky wheat color with lots of effervescent carbonation and suspended yeast. Had a good inch of thick, foamy white head, which shrank to about 1/4" and stuck with the glass.

Initial pour had a definite skunky/wild yeasty/bacteria smell that was kind of unpleasant, but that mellowed to a gentler fruity/yeasty aroma.

Taste was slightly soapy(?) at first and malty/wheaty. This was followed up by the quickest hint of bitter hoppy, dandeliony floralness. Don't know what I mean? Go eat a dandelion. I freaked a guy out at work the other day by doing that. Anyway, tinge of floral hoppyness, then a slightly bitter lingering finish. I have to wonder if the green bottles are the best choice?

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp, with a definite carbo zing. The beer is pretty dry, but isn't overly alcoholy by any means.

Drinkability is ok, looking past the imperfections I stated I could see myself maybe killing a 750 of this with a long meal, but for the other similar choices in the belgian realm, I'll probably overlook this one next time I'm at the beer store.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

I bought a case of these (24x250mL) bottles, because I thought I remembered really liking it back when I first had it (previously from the large corked bottle). I've been somewhat disappointed. The three I've had so far haven't been bad, per se, but they haven't blown me away.

Anyway, this beer pours a slighly cloudy medium-golden into a small Sinha glass. Huge fluffy head that I have to fight to prevent it from overflowing. Pretty decent looking, in fact. Aroma is restrained, mildly sour, and fruity. Very little of that barnyard flavour I'd been expecting, and more spicy. Mouthfeel is much more light and spritzy than I remembered, and that may be the biggest disappointment. Flavour is peppery, spicy, mildly sour, with a little bit of lemon but none of the funk I want to see in a farmhouse ale. Still, it's fairly refreshing if that's what you're looking for. The aftertaste is a little on the tart side, but fairly clean. I'll definitely get through the case, but might not make it a regular purchase.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

This beer pours nice and full with a descent head that lasts and a nice lace. It has a golden color and the smell is fruity and rich. It has a nice full body that possesses abundant carbonation. The taste is somewhat sour and citrus and has a bit more hops than expected; it is not sweet enough for my taste to help contrast some of the other flavors. The finish is very dry with a strong bite that stays with you.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

Very active pour, hazy straw colored, topped by a huge white meringue head. Some suspended yeast floating in there. I don't mind.

Aroma is of strong yeast, with a tart lemon undercurrent.

Taste seems subdued at first. A bit sour. As I let it warm a little, I start to pick up some pepper spiciness. I'm not sure if Saisons are brewed with wheat, but I believe I'm picking up some here. The sourness is a bit stronger as my glass becomes empty. Other fruit flavors are beginning to introduce themselves. Some apple and green grapes. Almost a lactic tang in there as well.

Mouthfeel is good, slightly thin, highly carbonated, and extremely thirst quenching.

Drinkability is high for me, and I can see myself enjoying this immensely once it gets warm out again. This is what I think of when BA's ask what would be a good lawnmower beer. I would like to try and pair this up with some food at some point, as I've heard it can really shine.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Hazy, pearlescent light straw yellow color. The huge, rocky, meringue foam leave lots of lovely, sticky, hanging lace.

S- Big, bright, alluring perfume of yeasty, spicy eau de Belgique, lemon biscotti, caramel. A great example of the type, where the yeast notes can be very refined. Gorgeous, almost indescribable aroma.

T- Very zesty and dry, dominated by a citrus rind mid-palate and a dry, hoppy finish. A bit too dry for me, however.

M, D- I wish there was more of a malt structure to complement the spectacular aroma, but the drinkability will be great for those who like the drier finish. CO2 was ideal.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

Served a slightly hazy light orange with hardy any head. The aroma was of sweet fruits with some spice and hops. There was an interesting balance of sweetness with bitter spice, hops and yeast, it was a little on the bland side, however. The beer sat light on the tongue with a low carbonation. As far as saisons go, I'll stick with Henepin.

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

A- light orange with cream colored head, cloudy with a little lace.

S- floral. almost nothing but perfume, a mixed bouquet of lavender, lilac, yeast, citrus, alcohol and honey. wonderful and complex. after the glass is empty, it smelled like wheat grain.

T- suprisingly bitter. only a hint of malt, but mostly grapefruit, yeast. white bread, alcohol, lemon, and some piney hops. very long and sour in the finish. leaves a bitter citrus and a slightly tinny taste behind.

M- medium thin, with medium carbonation. lingering astringency in the finish.

D- average. too strong, bitter and sour to merit a higher score.

Judging by other reviews, this beer must be better from a bottle!

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl