2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,868 | Reviews: 1,423 | Show All Ratings:
Rifugium

1.23/5  rDev -70.6%

First had: bottle at Monk's, Philly, PA

Lots of people not only like this beer, but they REALLY like it. I don't see why. Maybe I've just had "bad bottles" (green bottles strike again?), I don't really know.

The beer itself looks innocent enough, pouring a nice hazy, bronze-yellow with a healthy puff of head. But it smells like a compost heap. Maybe some lemon notes coming through, but that just makes it smell like compost with lemon on it. It tastes like rotting hay and manure. Seriously like manure. And the aftertaste is of--you guessed it--manure. I've had other farmhouse ales, and they didn't taste like someone added rotted hay and the fecal output of a horse during the brewing process, which is all I really get from this, and there's just no two ways about it. Funk is good, hay is good; I don't mind those qualities in a beer. But not horse crap, seriously. I've tried: I've choked this down on the occasions I've ordered it, but really...not good...quite simply not a good beer. There's no complexity here, and if there is, well, I'm sorry but I just can't detect it within the overbearing manure. I would almost prefer a Bud to this. Sorry. Start bottling it correctly, and then we'll talk higher ratings.

06-10-2011 19:36:59 | More by Rifugium
instrumentality

1.68/5  rDev -59.9%

This was the first of two beers I tried as part of my sampling of bottled Belgian beers offered by BJ's in Burbank, and it was also my first saison. I commend them on their selection, but this one did not provide a pleasant experience.

Poured into a tulip glass, it revealed a light, golden, transparent hue, bubbly and with minimal head.

The odor was a sort of malty, biscuity, wet hay kind of smell. I got the impression that the term "farmhouse ale" alluded to the fact that the beer shared certain qualities with the inside of a barn.

The mouthfeel was heavy on the carbonation, mildly alcoholic, and left a nasty stale aftertaste.

It tasted malty, biscuity, and musty. I was immediately reminded of when I made the mistake of letting rain-soaked jeans sit folded for several days and then opened them up and took a good whiff.

I only finished this beer because I bought it at a restaurant and wanted to save face and get my money's worth to the best of my ability. I found this brew to be just a step above malt liquor, perhaps somewhere between a Colt 45 and a Rolling Rock. I'm hoping this is just a bad example of the style, but I'm apprehensive to continue my journey through the saison world.

I thought maybe the beer had gone bad, but I talked to the bartender and he said that while some people enjoy it, the overwhelming majority say something to the effect of it tasting like a wet sock. Maybe the whole case went bad...? I feel bad giving a beer that was actually trying to be good such a low rating, and I may try it again elsewhere just to be fair, but it won't be any time soon.

06-26-2006 18:06:25 | More by instrumentality
mccann51

1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

A: light, straw color with a large white head.

S: grassy, skunky aroma.

T: same grassy-skunkiness, but also a bit of astringency; some spice and herbal flavor along with some distinct maltiness.

M: fairly full bodied while having the potential for being refreshing.

O: if somebody didn't tell me what this was, I would figure it a typical, low-level European lager. There is nothing special about this beer to me, and I pick up nothing from the Brett I've heard about in this beer (except maybe the head). Really a huge disappointment, and definitely not worth the 12$ for the 750ml.

04-18-2012 03:28:36 | More by mccann51
diverite

Connecticut

1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

First let me start by saying this beer was a huge disappointment. Purchased in a 750ml style corked green bottle. I was a bit leery about the bottle color and from the pop of the cork, all I could smell was skunk. It was all downhill from there and after sharing a glass with my wife, I drained the remainder if the bottle. I will NEVER buy this again.

Appearance was a very nice, dark yellow with shades of green and chunks of sediment with strong carbonation and cloudy, puffy white head...I love this style.

smell was pure skunk, stronger skunk than Heinekin.

Taste was mostly skunk with malt trying to come through, but not making it.

mouthfeel was full with a dry finish.

Overall this beer was horribly skunked and I have a feeling it has seen too much light in its short life (bottled 2/2011). The skunk has overpowered many of the qualities that are hiding underneath. I can't see spending $10 plus for a bottle of defective beer.

08-29-2012 12:08:28 | More by diverite
Mora2000

1.78/5  rDev -57.5%

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a good amount of skunkyness in it, with some wheat and grain notes mixed in. The flavor is unfortunately the same. This is yet another skunked Saison Dupont. This is the third separate bottle I have purchased in an attempt to rate this beer fairly, but after wasting $25+ on skunked beers, I have come to the conclusion that if the brewer is dumb enough to put a beer in a green bottle, they deserve a horrible rating if the beer is skunked. Other than the skunked notes, there is a little citrus and spice. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, a gross, yet I can’t say unexpected, beer. Shame on me for buying bottles three times.

06-20-2012 04:34:20 | More by Mora2000
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

1.9/5  rDev -54.7%

As best I can determine, I must have gotten a bad bottle because I was far from impressed. Hardly a fan of saisons, I found this to be an awful experience. The first hint of a problem occurred when the aroma smelled like burnt rubber. With the sense of smell and taste being closely associated, this was not a good start. The initial taste was very tart lemon. It was not just lemon juice, it was as though I was chewing on lemon rind. The aftertaste that followed was a gritty Flintstone vitamins lemon taste. Perhaps another way to explain the feeling would be a textured shandy.

Noting the high praise this saison received, I have trouble fathoming such a bad experience. I could not recommend this saison to another person unless of course I had a better experience with a future bottle. However, I would not buy that bottle with my money.

08-21-2011 21:05:47 | More by JohnnyHopps
HimerMan

1.95/5  rDev -53.5%

25oz bottle - Again at the House of Brews, Split with Gaskill during a New York day.

Pour was a pale straw color with a generous head of a fluffy white cloud. The smell was sweet and actually pretty intriguing.

However, the taste left a lot to be desired - it was like a watered down amber ale with random flavors coming though.

Perhaps not my style of beer, but I will have to revisit this and update accordingly.

Not every beer is for everyone.

05-09-2006 02:43:44 | More by HimerMan
buschbeer

I poured into a pint glass. There is very little trouble getting a huge head on this one. I got a giant white fluffy head that hung around for the duration. I'm not sure what is going on with this beer. It smells and tastes like soap. It is a 750ml bottle so I poured in two different glasses and still got this taste and smell. Huge disappointment. I will have to revisit this one. It may have been on the shelf too long. Maybe I just don't like it.

Santé!

11-29-2009 18:45:24 | More by buschbeer
trancefishy

Colorado

2.05/5  rDev -51.1%

appearance is a nice light yellow, tons of carbonation, and a giant fluffy head.

aroma is a good yeasty breadiness, some citric and spicy notes as well.

taste is "oh my god what is wrong with this?". at first it's sweet, tasty, belgian goodness. not but a second or two after, there is this sharp, metallic, chalky taste. i'm not talking subtle, i'm talking "did a mouse piss in my beer glass when it was in the cupboard" kind of taste (it's actually clean..). I didn't pour any yeast into the glass. this is really a shame. it almost seems like it would or did taste good at some point.

to continue with the review, the carbonation is too heavy.

well, if i see this again, i will have to get it, because this must just be a bad bottle.

03-01-2005 04:29:49 | More by trancefishy
BeerNutta

Australia

2.1/5  rDev -49.9%

Saison Dupont

A = Poured a hazy straw colour with a thick foam head. Holding it to the light you could see a whole bunch of floaties in the beer.

S = Smell was citric in nature. There was also an underlying grassy smell that eventually overpowered the citric orange smell the longer you keep drinking.

T = A mix and match of flavours. Inital taste of apples, which then gives way to a grassy flavour. There is a slight yeastiness that lingers on your palate and a dry tart finish. Just not my kind of beer.

M = Although there was a massive head. The carbonation was moderate at best.

D = Not impressed. Wouldn't be going back to it in a hurry.

05-14-2006 12:10:46 | More by BeerNutta
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

Drank this beer at Twain's in Decatur, GA. I poured this beer from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - This beer pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a 1/2 " white head atop it. The head lasted for about 1/3 the beer and left moderate lacing.

S - A bit of a sharp hoppy and fruity smell, ranging from lemon to grassy scent.

T - A sharp flavor that has a bit too much bite for my palette. This tastes more like a sharp German Pilsner than the saisons I've had. It wasn't bad, if its flavor wasn't so acidic it would be pleasant. I can barely detect some spices underneath the bite.

M - Moderately carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

D - Cannot say I would try this beer again.

03-17-2006 15:01:45 | More by TheEclecticGent
CharlieMurphy

2.15/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Took literally 15 minutes for the half pint pillow of head to fall below an inch. Poured very light, lighter than light amber, grain-like color

S: Honestly smells like an AAL, growing increasingly disappointed, as I thought this beer would be much heartier

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Like a light champagney Saison vs. Coors light. Still kind of reminds me of Amstel Light. Very subdued funk, champagne, and some lingering tin taste like a canned beer or beer that was cracked and sat out overnight. Maybe this has sat a little past its prime? I doubt it though.

M: Light carbonation, carbon pillow mouthfeel, especially at the beginning. Lacks body, lacks funk.

O: Overall, this was a terrible use of $8. If it was cheaper the overall score would be better. This beer is just nothing special imo, will not get again.

04-01-2011 02:45:18 | More by CharlieMurphy
Overlord

2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with about a quarter inch of white foam head. Bit yellowish, but looks pretty good.

Smells like sickly sweet, malt liquorish-esque booze. Some hints of spices and ... coriander/cloves??? in the aroma. This smells pretty bad.

Taste is similarly awful. Struggling to get through the first half of the bottle. Too sweet. Kind of a bready/biscuit-y grain alcohol presence with some very distracting and strong spices (overload on the perfume-y spices) and some astringent fresh cut grass/hay aftertaste. Pretty dry, pretty undrinkab.e

I find the score for this beer entirely inexplicable.

01-18-2011 09:20:39 | More by Overlord
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.23/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours a giant head that's frothy and foamy and hard to dissapate, it also has a good yellow and slightly cloudy color. The smell is slightly sweet brown sugar. Taste is sour and has a day old empty beer can finish to it. It's bitter harsh and barely tastes like a Saison at all. The mouthfeel is a little harsh with carbonation. Overall I will try again, just because of the name, but something went seriously wrong at John's with this bottle.

01-22-2007 21:35:08 | More by Erdinger2003
becktone

2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

Bought from Giant Eagle in Stow, Ohio.

Eye: Great head retention and lacing, almost too much, steady three fingers without really getting any smaller. Color is semi cloudy straw gold. Lacing also looks good. All in all pretty good looking.

Nose: Fuck! Think that this might be skunked. Perhaps thats just the way this is supposed to smell but I doubt it. Underneath a skunky aroma I smell some spices, damn looks like this might be a bit skunked. Damn it Giant Eagle! I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time and this is prolly the only place I've seen it. And Damn the Brasserie Dupont sprl for bottling in green glass. Underneath the skunk there is some nice spiciness, hard to get anything else from this.

Tongue: Not as spicy as I thought it would be. Pretty smooth all in all. To me this is bland in flavor, also its hard to get past the skunky aroma when taking a swig of this, just ruins the flavor, not that I'm getting much from it anyway. Little bit of hops in the flavor with some malt sweetness, not really impressed though.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely not impressed by mouthfeel either. Very low carbonation, feels almost flat in the mouth, not very pleasing. This is one I might buy again, if only to give it a second chance, I'll be sure to get it from a place where I can see that it is stored properly. From what I can tell now this brew isn't all that great, not much flavor, and its not all that great. As a matter of fact, I am glad that I've had Hennepin before this; because if this were the first of the style I'd ever tasted I'd be turned off to it.

12-10-2007 06:42:54 | More by becktone
jrallen34

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a 750 ml and poured into a chalice.

It pours nice, gold in color witha a decent white head.

The aroma is let down to me, smells to me like a stale beer, a little sour.

The taste is very bland as well.

I would not drink this beer again, don't quite get the overall impression here.

07-22-2009 19:25:28 | More by jrallen34
IchLiebeBier

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish body with a good sized head

Aroma: Spicy; malty; citrusy notes

Taste: tart fruit and spicy hops in the start and mid; finishes fairly dry

Remarks: A little too dry and bitter for me.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 22:11:57 | More by IchLiebeBier
clvand0

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev -37.2%

This was my first saison style beer. It poured a dark golden color with a thick head that stuck around for a while and left a little lacing on the glass. Quite a few floaties in the glass. The aroma was sort of yeasty and grainy with some fruits in the back, but not really very interesting. The flavor was a little too acidic for my tastes. There was also some sweet malt and a little fruity taste, but the acid taste made it out to be not one of my favorites.

09-26-2003 18:16:21 | More by clvand0
bobhits

Kentucky

2.65/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing amount of carbonation, a HUGE head, and white wine color. Looks a lot like Duvel, so boring color and body but crazy head and carbonation.

Starts, like some kind of trash that went bad smell. After that it mellows into a sour, sweet, wheat, and some hoppy kind of aroma. Belgium yeast is definitely in there.

Sour. A good bit of hops. As I drink this the sour goes to just a really really citrus flavor. Not a certain fruit comes out, just the sour citrus lemon tingle mixed with bitterness from hops and yeast leaving a weird bready flavor.

Well carbonated, moderate body, the carbonation really make this a fun beer to drink.

Surprisingly drinkable.

I am sure I'll never get this beer again. It is so far from a style I like it's not funny. This is pretty darn weird flavored, and without the hops there's nothing to save this beer. Thankfully the hops save things. They take a lot of off putting flavors and somehow mix them together. I think I understand why this beer is well ranked, but it just isn't for me. Bottom line, buyer be ware. This isn't a beer for "advanced pallets" it's a beer for those that enjoy this style of beer. If you're not one, don't wasn't your money.

10-06-2010 02:25:05 | More by bobhits
SaCkErZ9

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a La Chouffe, 25cl, tulip style glass. A huge, dense head of about, oh, three fingers form on top of the beer. Beer is clear and a pale straw color. The head actually dissipates near the neck of the tulip glass, but leaves foam at the top of the glass and then another layer on top of the beer. I can actually see through the missing layer with foam on top and bottom. Very interesting.

Nose is yeast and sweetness. Smells a bit like a eurolager like Heineken. Wasnt expecting that and dont really like it.

The taste is not much for me either. Yeasty. Slight bit of that skunk taste as well. A bit chalky and rusty and "grandmothers basement" tastes as well. Is it possible I got a bad bottle?

Mouthfeel was crsip and refreshing. Light bodied beer. Carbonation is clean and adds a bit to the overall likeabitlity of the beer. However, I dont like the taste or smell. Smells like a corn concocted macro lager. Possibly a bad batch so I will buy one more and give it another chance. But this one is not good. Will have trouble finishing but will definitely do so.

02-26-2006 00:49:22 | More by SaCkErZ9
claspada

2.73/5  rDev -34.8%

Aromas of some light Belgian yeast, ripe citrus fruit, earthy funk and a solid herbal backbone.
The taste follows the nose with grainy pilsner malt, understated spiciness from the hops of the Belgian yeast, lemon zest, some grassy/herbal qualities, a bit sour/tangy and certainly quite dry.
Mouthfeel is full despite the lackluster malt profile. Higher carbonation but appropriate for the style. This is not the most flavorful saison in existence, but it is true to style. This is just too boring for my liking overall. I can appreciate how it's a "perfect" example of the style, but the traditional style is lackluster for my taste.

04-01-2011 15:48:58 | More by claspada
meeekyh

Colorado

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a (green) 750 into a Belgian style beer glass.

I am afraid this one is a bit skunked... I am sure it is not too bad, and as such I will see what I can find to review anyway.

Head is very white and full, leaving a nice lacing.
Color is pale gold, very clear beer.

Smell is initially the aforementioned skunk... followed by malt, hop and a bit of anise.

Taste is malt, hop and, sadly, a bit of skunk. There is more going on but I am afraid this review will be on the tainted side, like this bottle.

Mouthfeel is medium body and high carbonation.

When I tried this beer before it was great. Bright, clean and inviting. I will be sure to review this one again.

01-19-2010 02:37:51 | More by meeekyh
Amalak

2.88/5  rDev -31.3%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste.

12-23-2009 16:34:05 | More by Amalak
drseamus

2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium.

10-06-2007 15:28:54 | More by drseamus
larsee01

2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer.

02-18-2009 03:17:38 | More by larsee01