Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

A: light, straw color with a large white head.

S: grassy, skunky aroma.

T: same grassy-skunkiness, but also a bit of astringency; some spice and herbal flavor along with some distinct maltiness.

M: fairly full bodied while having the potential for being refreshing.

O: if somebody didn't tell me what this was, I would figure it a typical, low-level European lager. There is nothing special about this beer to me, and I pick up nothing from the Brett I've heard about in this beer (except maybe the head). Really a huge disappointment, and definitely not worth the 12$ for the 750ml.

mccann51, Apr 18, 2012
1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

First let me start by saying this beer was a huge disappointment. Purchased in a 750ml style corked green bottle. I was a bit leery about the bottle color and from the pop of the cork, all I could smell was skunk. It was all downhill from there and after sharing a glass with my wife, I drained the remainder if the bottle. I will NEVER buy this again.

Appearance was a very nice, dark yellow with shades of green and chunks of sediment with strong carbonation and cloudy, puffy white head...I love this style.

smell was pure skunk, stronger skunk than Heinekin.

Taste was mostly skunk with malt trying to come through, but not making it.

mouthfeel was full with a dry finish.

Overall this beer was horribly skunked and I have a feeling it has seen too much light in its short life (bottled 2/2011). The skunk has overpowered many of the qualities that are hiding underneath. I can't see spending $10 plus for a bottle of defective beer.

diverite, Aug 29, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -57.5%

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a good amount of skunkyness in it, with some wheat and grain notes mixed in. The flavor is unfortunately the same. This is yet another skunked Saison Dupont. This is the third separate bottle I have purchased in an attempt to rate this beer fairly, but after wasting $25+ on skunked beers, I have come to the conclusion that if the brewer is dumb enough to put a beer in a green bottle, they deserve a horrible rating if the beer is skunked. Other than the skunked notes, there is a little citrus and spice. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, a gross, yet I can’t say unexpected, beer. Shame on me for buying bottles three times.

Mora2000, Jun 20, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -54.7%

As best I can determine, I must have gotten a bad bottle because I was far from impressed. Hardly a fan of saisons, I found this to be an awful experience. The first hint of a problem occurred when the aroma smelled like burnt rubber. With the sense of smell and taste being closely associated, this was not a good start. The initial taste was very tart lemon. It was not just lemon juice, it was as though I was chewing on lemon rind. The aftertaste that followed was a gritty Flintstone vitamins lemon taste. Perhaps another way to explain the feeling would be a textured shandy.

Noting the high praise this saison received, I have trouble fathoming such a bad experience. I could not recommend this saison to another person unless of course I had a better experience with a future bottle. However, I would not buy that bottle with my money.

JohnnyHopps, Aug 21, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -53.5%

25oz bottle - Again at the House of Brews, Split with Gaskill during a New York day.

Pour was a pale straw color with a generous head of a fluffy white cloud. The smell was sweet and actually pretty intriguing.

However, the taste left a lot to be desired - it was like a watered down amber ale with random flavors coming though.

Perhaps not my style of beer, but I will have to revisit this and update accordingly.

Not every beer is for everyone.

HimerMan, May 09, 2006

I poured into a pint glass. There is very little trouble getting a huge head on this one. I got a giant white fluffy head that hung around for the duration. I'm not sure what is going on with this beer. It smells and tastes like soap. It is a 750ml bottle so I poured in two different glasses and still got this taste and smell. Huge disappointment. I will have to revisit this one. It may have been on the shelf too long. Maybe I just don't like it.

Santé!

buschbeer, Nov 29, 2009

BigRedEye, Nov 14, 2012

Blas, Jun 18, 2012

mpbrady320, Apr 26, 2013

apmcpm, Jan 27, 2012

sharpski, Jul 25, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -51.1%

appearance is a nice light yellow, tons of carbonation, and a giant fluffy head.

aroma is a good yeasty breadiness, some citric and spicy notes as well.

taste is "oh my god what is wrong with this?". at first it's sweet, tasty, belgian goodness. not but a second or two after, there is this sharp, metallic, chalky taste. i'm not talking subtle, i'm talking "did a mouse piss in my beer glass when it was in the cupboard" kind of taste (it's actually clean..). I didn't pour any yeast into the glass. this is really a shame. it almost seems like it would or did taste good at some point.

to continue with the review, the carbonation is too heavy.

well, if i see this again, i will have to get it, because this must just be a bad bottle.

trancefishy, Mar 01, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -49.9%

Saison Dupont

A = Poured a hazy straw colour with a thick foam head. Holding it to the light you could see a whole bunch of floaties in the beer.

S = Smell was citric in nature. There was also an underlying grassy smell that eventually overpowered the citric orange smell the longer you keep drinking.

T = A mix and match of flavours. Inital taste of apples, which then gives way to a grassy flavour. There is a slight yeastiness that lingers on your palate and a dry tart finish. Just not my kind of beer.

M = Although there was a massive head. The carbonation was moderate at best.

D = Not impressed. Wouldn't be going back to it in a hurry.

BeerNutta, May 14, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

Drank this beer at Twain's in Decatur, GA. I poured this beer from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - This beer pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a 1/2 " white head atop it. The head lasted for about 1/3 the beer and left moderate lacing.

S - A bit of a sharp hoppy and fruity smell, ranging from lemon to grassy scent.

T - A sharp flavor that has a bit too much bite for my palette. This tastes more like a sharp German Pilsner than the saisons I've had. It wasn't bad, if its flavor wasn't so acidic it would be pleasant. I can barely detect some spices underneath the bite.

M - Moderately carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

D - Cannot say I would try this beer again.

TheEclecticGent, Mar 17, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Took literally 15 minutes for the half pint pillow of head to fall below an inch. Poured very light, lighter than light amber, grain-like color

S: Honestly smells like an AAL, growing increasingly disappointed, as I thought this beer would be much heartier

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Like a light champagney Saison vs. Coors light. Still kind of reminds me of Amstel Light. Very subdued funk, champagne, and some lingering tin taste like a canned beer or beer that was cracked and sat out overnight. Maybe this has sat a little past its prime? I doubt it though.

M: Light carbonation, carbon pillow mouthfeel, especially at the beginning. Lacks body, lacks funk.

O: Overall, this was a terrible use of $8. If it was cheaper the overall score would be better. This beer is just nothing special imo, will not get again.

CharlieMurphy, Apr 01, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with about a quarter inch of white foam head. Bit yellowish, but looks pretty good.

Smells like sickly sweet, malt liquorish-esque booze. Some hints of spices and ... coriander/cloves??? in the aroma. This smells pretty bad.

Taste is similarly awful. Struggling to get through the first half of the bottle. Too sweet. Kind of a bready/biscuit-y grain alcohol presence with some very distracting and strong spices (overload on the perfume-y spices) and some astringent fresh cut grass/hay aftertaste. Pretty dry, pretty undrinkab.e

I find the score for this beer entirely inexplicable.

Overlord, Jan 18, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours a giant head that's frothy and foamy and hard to dissapate, it also has a good yellow and slightly cloudy color. The smell is slightly sweet brown sugar. Taste is sour and has a day old empty beer can finish to it. It's bitter harsh and barely tastes like a Saison at all. The mouthfeel is a little harsh with carbonation. Overall I will try again, just because of the name, but something went seriously wrong at John's with this bottle.

Erdinger2003, Jan 22, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

Raziel313, Apr 10, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

Bought from Giant Eagle in Stow, Ohio.

Eye: Great head retention and lacing, almost too much, steady three fingers without really getting any smaller. Color is semi cloudy straw gold. Lacing also looks good. All in all pretty good looking.

Nose: Fuck! Think that this might be skunked. Perhaps thats just the way this is supposed to smell but I doubt it. Underneath a skunky aroma I smell some spices, damn looks like this might be a bit skunked. Damn it Giant Eagle! I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time and this is prolly the only place I've seen it. And Damn the Brasserie Dupont sprl for bottling in green glass. Underneath the skunk there is some nice spiciness, hard to get anything else from this.

Tongue: Not as spicy as I thought it would be. Pretty smooth all in all. To me this is bland in flavor, also its hard to get past the skunky aroma when taking a swig of this, just ruins the flavor, not that I'm getting much from it anyway. Little bit of hops in the flavor with some malt sweetness, not really impressed though.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely not impressed by mouthfeel either. Very low carbonation, feels almost flat in the mouth, not very pleasing. This is one I might buy again, if only to give it a second chance, I'll be sure to get it from a place where I can see that it is stored properly. From what I can tell now this brew isn't all that great, not much flavor, and its not all that great. As a matter of fact, I am glad that I've had Hennepin before this; because if this were the first of the style I'd ever tasted I'd be turned off to it.

becktone, Dec 10, 2007

VierBier, Jun 22, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish body with a good sized head

Aroma: Spicy; malty; citrusy notes

Taste: tart fruit and spicy hops in the start and mid; finishes fairly dry

Remarks: A little too dry and bitter for me.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

IchLiebeBier, Jun 15, 2013

RollTide7, Jun 23, 2013

wertschy, Feb 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

I had a 750 ml and poured into a chalice.

It pours nice, gold in color witha a decent white head.

The aroma is let down to me, smells to me like a stale beer, a little sour.

The taste is very bland as well.

I would not drink this beer again, don't quite get the overall impression here.

jrallen34, Jul 22, 2009