Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,513 | Hads: 3,789
2.1/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Took literally 15 minutes for the half pint pillow of head to fall below an inch. Poured very light, lighter than light amber, grain-like color

S: Honestly smells like an AAL, growing increasingly disappointed, as I thought this beer would be much heartier

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Like a light champagney Saison vs. Coors light. Still kind of reminds me of Amstel Light. Very subdued funk, champagne, and some lingering tin taste like a canned beer or beer that was cracked and sat out overnight. Maybe this has sat a little past its prime? I doubt it though.

M: Light carbonation, carbon pillow mouthfeel, especially at the beginning. Lacks body, lacks funk.

O: Overall, this was a terrible use of $8. If it was cheaper the overall score would be better. This beer is just nothing special imo, will not get again. (836 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -49.4%

I poured into a pint glass. There is very little trouble getting a huge head on this one. I got a giant white fluffy head that hung around for the duration. I'm not sure what is going on with this beer. It smells and tastes like soap. It is a 750ml bottle so I poured in two different glasses and still got this taste and smell. Huge disappointment. I will have to revisit this one. It may have been on the shelf too long. Maybe I just don't like it.

Santé! (460 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -48.2%

Drank this beer at Twain's in Decatur, GA. I poured this beer from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - This beer pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a 1/2 " white head atop it. The head lasted for about 1/3 the beer and left moderate lacing.

S - A bit of a sharp hoppy and fruity smell, ranging from lemon to grassy scent.

T - A sharp flavor that has a bit too much bite for my palette. This tastes more like a sharp German Pilsner than the saisons I've had. It wasn't bad, if its flavor wasn't so acidic it would be pleasant. I can barely detect some spices underneath the bite.

M - Moderately carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

D - Cannot say I would try this beer again. (686 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -47.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with about a quarter inch of white foam head. Bit yellowish, but looks pretty good.

Smells like sickly sweet, malt liquorish-esque booze. Some hints of spices and ... coriander/cloves??? in the aroma. This smells pretty bad.

Taste is similarly awful. Struggling to get through the first half of the bottle. Too sweet. Kind of a bready/biscuit-y grain alcohol presence with some very distracting and strong spices (overload on the perfume-y spices) and some astringent fresh cut grass/hay aftertaste. Pretty dry, pretty undrinkab.e

I find the score for this beer entirely inexplicable. (624 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -46.8%

appearance is a nice light yellow, tons of carbonation, and a giant fluffy head.

aroma is a good yeasty breadiness, some citric and spicy notes as well.

taste is "oh my god what is wrong with this?". at first it's sweet, tasty, belgian goodness. not but a second or two after, there is this sharp, metallic, chalky taste. i'm not talking subtle, i'm talking "did a mouse piss in my beer glass when it was in the cupboard" kind of taste (it's actually clean..). I didn't pour any yeast into the glass. this is really a shame. it almost seems like it would or did taste good at some point.

to continue with the review, the carbonation is too heavy.

well, if i see this again, i will have to get it, because this must just be a bad bottle. (751 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours a giant head that's frothy and foamy and hard to dissapate, it also has a good yellow and slightly cloudy color. The smell is slightly sweet brown sugar. Taste is sour and has a day old empty beer can finish to it. It's bitter harsh and barely tastes like a Saison at all. The mouthfeel is a little harsh with carbonation. Overall I will try again, just because of the name, but something went seriously wrong at John's with this bottle. (443 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -42.7%

Bought from Giant Eagle in Stow, Ohio.

Eye: Great head retention and lacing, almost too much, steady three fingers without really getting any smaller. Color is semi cloudy straw gold. Lacing also looks good. All in all pretty good looking.

Nose: Fuck! Think that this might be skunked. Perhaps thats just the way this is supposed to smell but I doubt it. Underneath a skunky aroma I smell some spices, damn looks like this might be a bit skunked. Damn it Giant Eagle! I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time and this is prolly the only place I've seen it. And Damn the Brasserie Dupont sprl for bottling in green glass. Underneath the skunk there is some nice spiciness, hard to get anything else from this.

Tongue: Not as spicy as I thought it would be. Pretty smooth all in all. To me this is bland in flavor, also its hard to get past the skunky aroma when taking a swig of this, just ruins the flavor, not that I'm getting much from it anyway. Little bit of hops in the flavor with some malt sweetness, not really impressed though.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely not impressed by mouthfeel either. Very low carbonation, feels almost flat in the mouth, not very pleasing. This is one I might buy again, if only to give it a second chance, I'll be sure to get it from a place where I can see that it is stored properly. From what I can tell now this brew isn't all that great, not much flavor, and its not all that great. As a matter of fact, I am glad that I've had Hennepin before this; because if this were the first of the style I'd ever tasted I'd be turned off to it. (1,599 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a 750 ml and poured into a chalice.

It pours nice, gold in color witha a decent white head.

The aroma is let down to me, smells to me like a stale beer, a little sour.

The taste is very bland as well.

I would not drink this beer again, don't quite get the overall impression here. (290 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -40%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish body with a good sized head

Aroma: Spicy; malty; citrusy notes

Taste: tart fruit and spicy hops in the start and mid; finishes fairly dry

Remarks: A little too dry and bitter for me.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores (281 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing amount of carbonation, a HUGE head, and white wine color. Looks a lot like Duvel, so boring color and body but crazy head and carbonation.

Starts, like some kind of trash that went bad smell. After that it mellows into a sour, sweet, wheat, and some hoppy kind of aroma. Belgium yeast is definitely in there.

Sour. A good bit of hops. As I drink this the sour goes to just a really really citrus flavor. Not a certain fruit comes out, just the sour citrus lemon tingle mixed with bitterness from hops and yeast leaving a weird bready flavor.

Well carbonated, moderate body, the carbonation really make this a fun beer to drink.

Surprisingly drinkable.

I am sure I'll never get this beer again. It is so far from a style I like it's not funny. This is pretty darn weird flavored, and without the hops there's nothing to save this beer. Thankfully the hops save things. They take a lot of off putting flavors and somehow mix them together. I think I understand why this beer is well ranked, but it just isn't for me. Bottom line, buyer be ware. This isn't a beer for "advanced pallets" it's a beer for those that enjoy this style of beer. If you're not one, don't wasn't your money. (1,200 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

This was my first saison style beer. It poured a dark golden color with a thick head that stuck around for a while and left a little lacing on the glass. Quite a few floaties in the glass. The aroma was sort of yeasty and grainy with some fruits in the back, but not really very interesting. The flavor was a little too acidic for my tastes. There was also some sweet malt and a little fruity taste, but the acid taste made it out to be not one of my favorites. (461 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a La Chouffe, 25cl, tulip style glass. A huge, dense head of about, oh, three fingers form on top of the beer. Beer is clear and a pale straw color. The head actually dissipates near the neck of the tulip glass, but leaves foam at the top of the glass and then another layer on top of the beer. I can actually see through the missing layer with foam on top and bottom. Very interesting.

Nose is yeast and sweetness. Smells a bit like a eurolager like Heineken. Wasnt expecting that and dont really like it.

The taste is not much for me either. Yeasty. Slight bit of that skunk taste as well. A bit chalky and rusty and "grandmothers basement" tastes as well. Is it possible I got a bad bottle?

Mouthfeel was crsip and refreshing. Light bodied beer. Carbonation is clean and adds a bit to the overall likeabitlity of the beer. However, I dont like the taste or smell. Smells like a corn concocted macro lager. Possibly a bad batch so I will buy one more and give it another chance. But this one is not good. Will have trouble finishing but will definitely do so. (1,111 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a (green) 750 into a Belgian style beer glass.

I am afraid this one is a bit skunked... I am sure it is not too bad, and as such I will see what I can find to review anyway.

Head is very white and full, leaving a nice lacing.
Color is pale gold, very clear beer.

Smell is initially the aforementioned skunk... followed by malt, hop and a bit of anise.

Taste is malt, hop and, sadly, a bit of skunk. There is more going on but I am afraid this review will be on the tainted side, like this bottle.

Mouthfeel is medium body and high carbonation.

When I tried this beer before it was great. Bright, clean and inviting. I will be sure to review this one again. (674 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33.8%

Aromas of some light Belgian yeast, ripe citrus fruit, earthy funk and a solid herbal backbone.
The taste follows the nose with grainy pilsner malt, understated spiciness from the hops of the Belgian yeast, lemon zest, some grassy/herbal qualities, a bit sour/tangy and certainly quite dry.
Mouthfeel is full despite the lackluster malt profile. Higher carbonation but appropriate for the style. This is not the most flavorful saison in existence, but it is true to style. This is just too boring for my liking overall. I can appreciate how it's a "perfect" example of the style, but the traditional style is lackluster for my taste. (634 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste. (376 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -29.5%

Pale, mostly golden in appearance. Creamy head, very good retention. EDIT: Make that, VERY good retention. The head sticks around long after the beer underneath it has been drunk. Cloudy appearance with a few floaties. No real lacing but head clings for dear life to glass. Not that it needs to, that head could withstand anything. I'd say that's about the most impressive head I've ever seen.

Nose is very metallic and hoppy. There is a strong iron or steel character with a slight grainy character lingering ever-so-slightly at the back. It's quite nice but there isn't all that much more to it.

Quite weizeny on the palate with that wheaty, banana character. Surprising really since there is nothing of the sort in it. Surprisingly bitter on the finish, a lot of hops coming through following that light, wheaty flavour. This leaves me, to be honest, with a really quite sinking, heavy feeling because it feels over-hopped without enough rich barley malt to balance, and the mouthfeel is a bit clunky. Taste is pleasant enough but it's quite heavy-going. I wouldn't call this a sessioning beer. I quite respect this, but I don't like it all that much, unfortunately. (1,171 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium. (485 characters)

No chalice so have to use a trusty pint glass.

Beer pours a pale, grainy color with a decent amount of head that leaves thick lacing. I decided to let the beer warm up before trying it. Aroma is rich and spicy with faint hints of raisin. Taste is very light at first with only the spice and raisin showing through. Goes down smooth. A second sip confirms the smoothness and maltiness. I feel that the beer isn't as strong as I hoped and it just seems unimpressive to me. Not bad but I'll definitely revisit down the road. (522 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

Cork says 2.009, don't know if that means anything or not.

A- Pours a murky light gold/yellow with a huge off-white head. Lacing runs down the side of the glass quickly as I swirl. The head recedes a bit after a few minutes.

S- Musty, old, dank. Wet horse/dog. A little malt in there. Not pulling these aromas off well.

T- Straw, acidic lemons, and spice. The spiciness is like coriander and/or grains of paradise. Musty. Some malty sweetness briefly appears before the finish. Again, has some elements that I would like if done well, but they're just not working for me.

M- Lighter side of medium bodied. Feels most thin towards the finish. A sharp, highly carbonated beer.

D- One 375 ml bottle is fine with me. Not the best beer. Lighter body helps the drinkability.

Overall, this reminds me A LOT of Sam Adams' Summer Ale, but with a little less spice, and more must. No need for me to have that or this again. Smuttynose's Farmhouse Ale is something I would get if I'm in the mood for a saison. (1,004 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer. (839 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -26.4%

Color: yellow golden
Smell: orangey scent
Taste: tangy orange peel taste. It's dry but it's not as bitter as expected.
Carbonation: very carbonated
Head: good hold and head to the beer.
Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel
There is no sweetness to it! (256 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Big white head with densely packed bubbles. Dark yellow-orange color, lots of carbonation. Looks good at first. Could use better lacing on the sides.

Smells mostly of yeast with a little maltiness. Too faint.

Taste is earthy, a little bland, especially considering the style. Mild Belgian yeasts and mild malty flavor. A little spiciness on the tongue but not much.

Very dry, crisp mouthfeel, with a clean aftertaste. That part I like. It's a highly drinkable beer, but there are much better saisons out there. I would not order this one again. (547 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%

A - Great golden straw coloration. Hazy. Huge head that sticks.

S - Straw, yeast, hops, lemon rind, piss.

T - Follows the nose. Too pissy, though.

M - Over-carbonated, bubbly in the wrong place.

D - A poor beer. Too musty and hold tasting. Would never get this again. (274 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Poured from the 750 ml green bottle into a Stella Artois glass - kind of a rounded pilsner/lager-type glass. Body is hazy straw-yellow with a 2-finger bubbly white head. Solid head retention.

S: No surprise given the bottle - first impression is the skunkiness. As I get used to that, I also get some straw/hay/grass scents, with a touch of funkiness.

T: Again - some skunkiness. Barnyard funk and fruit are up front, and there's a decent, semi-dry finish. But I ended up belching skunk for probably 30-40 minutes after drinking this - and I had it with a big Thanksgiving-style meal.

M: Light in heft, good fizziness.

O: Why the green bottle? I'm guessing this might be a good beer if I had it on tap, but as it was delivered, it reminded me of a Euro Pale Lager that's been sitting in a green bottle for too long. My father-in-law, who was drinking Spaten directly from said green bottles, kind of liked this. Which says a lot. (936 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Openned Oct. 4, 2005. Best before 01/2008.

A: Copper-gold, nice white head, but very little retention. Still makes some nice lace though!

S: Grassy, herbal.

T: Spicy yeast flavour, very dry, sharp bitterness. Tartness is only barely detectable. Very rustic & unrefined. I realize this is part of the style, but it just wasn't harmonious... it's like all the instruments were there, but they were playing off-key.

M: Light body, moderately high carbonation.

D: While it hides the alcohol well, there's a bit of a bite, and I don't find it all that pleasant. (571 characters)

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl