Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,525 | Hads: 3,833
2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

This was my first saison style beer. It poured a dark golden color with a thick head that stuck around for a while and left a little lacing on the glass. Quite a few floaties in the glass. The aroma was sort of yeasty and grainy with some fruits in the back, but not really very interesting. The flavor was a little too acidic for my tastes. There was also some sweet malt and a little fruity taste, but the acid taste made it out to be not one of my favorites.

2.72/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a La Chouffe, 25cl, tulip style glass. A huge, dense head of about, oh, three fingers form on top of the beer. Beer is clear and a pale straw color. The head actually dissipates near the neck of the tulip glass, but leaves foam at the top of the glass and then another layer on top of the beer. I can actually see through the missing layer with foam on top and bottom. Very interesting.

Nose is yeast and sweetness. Smells a bit like a eurolager like Heineken. Wasnt expecting that and dont really like it.

The taste is not much for me either. Yeasty. Slight bit of that skunk taste as well. A bit chalky and rusty and "grandmothers basement" tastes as well. Is it possible I got a bad bottle?

Mouthfeel was crsip and refreshing. Light bodied beer. Carbonation is clean and adds a bit to the overall likeabitlity of the beer. However, I dont like the taste or smell. Smells like a corn concocted macro lager. Possibly a bad batch so I will buy one more and give it another chance. But this one is not good. Will have trouble finishing but will definitely do so.

2.72/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a (green) 750 into a Belgian style beer glass.

I am afraid this one is a bit skunked... I am sure it is not too bad, and as such I will see what I can find to review anyway.

Head is very white and full, leaving a nice lacing.
Color is pale gold, very clear beer.

Smell is initially the aforementioned skunk... followed by malt, hop and a bit of anise.

Taste is malt, hop and, sadly, a bit of skunk. There is more going on but I am afraid this review will be on the tainted side, like this bottle.

Mouthfeel is medium body and high carbonation.

When I tried this beer before it was great. Bright, clean and inviting. I will be sure to review this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -33.8%

Aromas of some light Belgian yeast, ripe citrus fruit, earthy funk and a solid herbal backbone.
The taste follows the nose with grainy pilsner malt, understated spiciness from the hops of the Belgian yeast, lemon zest, some grassy/herbal qualities, a bit sour/tangy and certainly quite dry.
Mouthfeel is full despite the lackluster malt profile. Higher carbonation but appropriate for the style. This is not the most flavorful saison in existence, but it is true to style. This is just too boring for my liking overall. I can appreciate how it's a "perfect" example of the style, but the traditional style is lackluster for my taste.

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste.

2.94/5  rDev -29.5%

Pale, mostly golden in appearance. Creamy head, very good retention. EDIT: Make that, VERY good retention. The head sticks around long after the beer underneath it has been drunk. Cloudy appearance with a few floaties. No real lacing but head clings for dear life to glass. Not that it needs to, that head could withstand anything. I'd say that's about the most impressive head I've ever seen.

Nose is very metallic and hoppy. There is a strong iron or steel character with a slight grainy character lingering ever-so-slightly at the back. It's quite nice but there isn't all that much more to it.

Quite weizeny on the palate with that wheaty, banana character. Surprising really since there is nothing of the sort in it. Surprisingly bitter on the finish, a lot of hops coming through following that light, wheaty flavour. This leaves me, to be honest, with a really quite sinking, heavy feeling because it feels over-hopped without enough rich barley malt to balance, and the mouthfeel is a bit clunky. Taste is pleasant enough but it's quite heavy-going. I wouldn't call this a sessioning beer. I quite respect this, but I don't like it all that much, unfortunately.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium.

No chalice so have to use a trusty pint glass.

Beer pours a pale, grainy color with a decent amount of head that leaves thick lacing. I decided to let the beer warm up before trying it. Aroma is rich and spicy with faint hints of raisin. Taste is very light at first with only the spice and raisin showing through. Goes down smooth. A second sip confirms the smoothness and maltiness. I feel that the beer isn't as strong as I hoped and it just seems unimpressive to me. Not bad but I'll definitely revisit down the road.

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

Cork says 2.009, don't know if that means anything or not.

A- Pours a murky light gold/yellow with a huge off-white head. Lacing runs down the side of the glass quickly as I swirl. The head recedes a bit after a few minutes.

S- Musty, old, dank. Wet horse/dog. A little malt in there. Not pulling these aromas off well.

T- Straw, acidic lemons, and spice. The spiciness is like coriander and/or grains of paradise. Musty. Some malty sweetness briefly appears before the finish. Again, has some elements that I would like if done well, but they're just not working for me.

M- Lighter side of medium bodied. Feels most thin towards the finish. A sharp, highly carbonated beer.

D- One 375 ml bottle is fine with me. Not the best beer. Lighter body helps the drinkability.

Overall, this reminds me A LOT of Sam Adams' Summer Ale, but with a little less spice, and more must. No need for me to have that or this again. Smuttynose's Farmhouse Ale is something I would get if I'm in the mood for a saison.

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer.

3.07/5  rDev -26.4%

Color: yellow golden
Smell: orangey scent
Taste: tangy orange peel taste. It's dry but it's not as bitter as expected.
Carbonation: very carbonated
Head: good hold and head to the beer.
Mouthfeel: light to medium mouthfeel
There is no sweetness to it!

3.08/5  rDev -26.1%

Big white head with densely packed bubbles. Dark yellow-orange color, lots of carbonation. Looks good at first. Could use better lacing on the sides.

Smells mostly of yeast with a little maltiness. Too faint.

Taste is earthy, a little bland, especially considering the style. Mild Belgian yeasts and mild malty flavor. A little spiciness on the tongue but not much.

Very dry, crisp mouthfeel, with a clean aftertaste. That part I like. It's a highly drinkable beer, but there are much better saisons out there. I would not order this one again.

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%

A - Great golden straw coloration. Hazy. Huge head that sticks.

S - Straw, yeast, hops, lemon rind, piss.

T - Follows the nose. Too pissy, though.

M - Over-carbonated, bubbly in the wrong place.

D - A poor beer. Too musty and hold tasting. Would never get this again.

3.11/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Poured from the 750 ml green bottle into a Stella Artois glass - kind of a rounded pilsner/lager-type glass. Body is hazy straw-yellow with a 2-finger bubbly white head. Solid head retention.

S: No surprise given the bottle - first impression is the skunkiness. As I get used to that, I also get some straw/hay/grass scents, with a touch of funkiness.

T: Again - some skunkiness. Barnyard funk and fruit are up front, and there's a decent, semi-dry finish. But I ended up belching skunk for probably 30-40 minutes after drinking this - and I had it with a big Thanksgiving-style meal.

M: Light in heft, good fizziness.

O: Why the green bottle? I'm guessing this might be a good beer if I had it on tap, but as it was delivered, it reminded me of a Euro Pale Lager that's been sitting in a green bottle for too long. My father-in-law, who was drinking Spaten directly from said green bottles, kind of liked this. Which says a lot.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Openned Oct. 4, 2005. Best before 01/2008.

A: Copper-gold, nice white head, but very little retention. Still makes some nice lace though!

S: Grassy, herbal.

T: Spicy yeast flavour, very dry, sharp bitterness. Tartness is only barely detectable. Very rustic & unrefined. I realize this is part of the style, but it just wasn't harmonious... it's like all the instruments were there, but they were playing off-key.

M: Light body, moderately high carbonation.

D: While it hides the alcohol well, there's a bit of a bite, and I don't find it all that pleasant.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

I'm not very experienced in the Farmhouse Ale category, but this one came recommended so I gave it a shot.
Mine poured a cloudy yellowish haze, with a very thick head that took a decent period of time to disapate and left a fairly thick residue.
This beer has a crisp fruity taste with a decent bite to it. Also a rich fruity musty bouquet is present.
Like I've said I havent experienced many saison brews although this one doesn't make me jump for joy to go grab another. It was worth a try atleast once.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Golden body, dominated by haziness. Massive white head that is really and truly just too much.
Aromas are light clove, some banana, light pepperiness.
Tastes are similar and with big Belgian yeast on the tongue.
In general, I have definitely had better Belgian beers, and with this bottle, have come to realize that i like North American Saisons better.

3.17/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a Gouden Carolus chalice. From notes. Reviewed 30 May 2011.

A: Bright white creamy/craggy head. Brilliant yellow. Carbonation is visible. Light and pleasant; cloudy but translucent. Traces of lace.

S: Lots of grain, maybe corn(?). Not impressed.

T: Sweet, pleasant, grainy, and dry. Honestly, it's less funky than other saisons, but it's sort of boring. Accessible, goodish, and disappointing.

M: Lightly dry...kinda yeasty. Vaguely spicy. A bit of pepper?

O: Decent beer, but again, boring. Would not have again. Recommended to people who "don't like saisons."

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

I've heard it is completely different on tap, and perhaps I got an old bottle, but I didn't enjoy this.

It poured a cloudy yellow with a huge fluffy, white head that faded fast but left nice lacing.

The aroma was of funk, earth, cooked vegetables, grass and lemon.

The taste was maltier than expected and the lemon that lingered seemed flat, the grass and earth were dominant and lingering funky notes stuck.

It was hard to finish. Again, perhaps I got a bad or old bottle. I'll try it again when I see it and perhaps give a different review.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Very disappointed in this saison. It's my new favorite style and I was expecting all sorts of the usual spices and sugars. Instead, I got lots of hops and bitters. Pours like a typical saison--yellow gold. Big foamy head. Spotty lace. Aroma is a bit hoppy. Blegian sugars come through as the initial flavor, but are quickly replaced with a surprising amount of hops. I can barely find any yeasty fruits, flavors or spices. While refreshingly crisp, it does not drink as smooth as I was expecting. It came across as much more like a bitter than a Belgian farm style ale. Mouth feel is crisp with a full body and malt heaviness that sits on the mouth.

3.19/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Golden, cloudy. Head is white, stays thick, decent lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast. Reminds me of Stella almost exactly. No hop or malt flavor really.

Taste: follows the nose. Stella to a T.

Mouthfeel: dry, good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Way to expensive for essentially Stella.

3.21/5  rDev -23%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very light yellow. The pillowy cloud of head looks like you could rest your head on it and fall asleep and it glistens in the light. Spectacular.

S: Aroma is spicy and yeasty. Wafts of fresh cut straw emanate, not all that sweet but great for a farmhouse ale.

T/M: Lots of bubbles up front are tangy. It takes a second for the fizz to dissipate from the tongue, but once they do, the flavor is very light with a bit more spicy earthiness and just a little metallic like champagne.

It’s a very light, fizzy beer, not that bad but there are better choices. It looks incredible, though.

3.22/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chilled Duvel tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out a cloudy, straw yellow. Nice, inch-tall head that slowly shrank to a half-inch. Lots of carbonation bubbles present all over the beer.

-Smell 1.5: After I pulled out the cork, I was immediately hit with that baddest sign of all bad beer signs...skunky smell. I thought this might be the problem when I saw that Saison was in a green bottle, but I bought it anyway. Luckily, after the pour the skunkiness dissipated...for the most part. I could still slightly pick it out. Still, the yummy Belgian bouquets that were present were good, it was just hard to move beyond an unwelcome appearance by Pepe le Pew.

-Taste 4.0: Front is a nice visit from that famous, spicy, Belgian yeast. Middle is a very pleasant, smooth and subdued barley hit. Finish is all carbonation, a slight sweetness of the lightest caramel you can imagine, and a refreshing -almost undefinable-- citrus taste. Aftertaste is a subtle, slight sweetness.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Above average. This brew is highly carbonated, but it really adds to the experience rather than detracts from it. Refreshing and thirst-quenching.

-Overall 3.5: Good, but certainly not "world class." I have to admit that the skunkiness factors into this, and why not? Should I give the beer makers at Brasserie Dupont a break on their idiotic decision to internationally distribute a very expensive beer in a giant green bottle? I don't think so. Good beer, probably would be better without the green bottle and unless I can find one that is not in a green bottle, I will not be buying it again.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
6.5% ABV, 2.010 on the cork.

A - It's not a gusher but damn is this one full of carbonation! The tulip was quickly filled with dense white foam. Great retention kept us from enjoying it for quite a while but, as the foam loosened it left some pretty nice lace above the slightly hazy yellow beer.

S - Wafts of skunk come from the beer which makes me wonder, once again, why breweries insist on using green (and clear) glass. [The first bottle we tried months prior smelled like a skunk dropped ass beside us when we opened it.] Subtle spicy notes of coriander and white pepper with earthy clay and yeast. Hints of lemon grass through the finish.

T - Bland across the board, pale malts back up a faint spicy profile of lemon grass and peppery yeast. Very bland, almost like faintly flavored water, honestly.

M - High carbonation is spritzy in the light-bodied mouthfeel. This saison finishes dry with a touch of saltiness and a slight metallic feel.

O - While this beer isn't offensive in any way, it's completely lacking in flavor which makes it hard to believe it's worthy of the high score it's received. That leads me to question whether there's something wrong (besides a little skunk) with this bottle. And for attempt number two at purchasing bottles, neither the DTrain or I will every be buying one again for a re-review.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Very citrusy orangy aroma. Cloudy yellowish color. Cloudiness is from the yeast. Very strong head and good hold on the glass. Crisp and clean finish very fizzy and highly carbonated. Very light and refreshing. Good beer for a hot summer day. Tastes somewhat bitter but do not consider it bitter because it just has no sweetness to it.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl