Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -48.2%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with about a quarter inch of white foam head. Bit yellowish, but looks pretty good.

Smells like sickly sweet, malt liquorish-esque booze. Some hints of spices and ... coriander/cloves??? in the aroma. This smells pretty bad.

Taste is similarly awful. Struggling to get through the first half of the bottle. Too sweet. Kind of a bready/biscuit-y grain alcohol presence with some very distracting and strong spices (overload on the perfume-y spices) and some astringent fresh cut grass/hay aftertaste. Pretty dry, pretty undrinkab.e

I find the score for this beer entirely inexplicable.

Overlord, Jan 18, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours a giant head that's frothy and foamy and hard to dissapate, it also has a good yellow and slightly cloudy color. The smell is slightly sweet brown sugar. Taste is sour and has a day old empty beer can finish to it. It's bitter harsh and barely tastes like a Saison at all. The mouthfeel is a little harsh with carbonation. Overall I will try again, just because of the name, but something went seriously wrong at John's with this bottle.

Erdinger2003, Jan 22, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

Raziel313, Apr 10, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

Bought from Giant Eagle in Stow, Ohio.

Eye: Great head retention and lacing, almost too much, steady three fingers without really getting any smaller. Color is semi cloudy straw gold. Lacing also looks good. All in all pretty good looking.

Nose: Fuck! Think that this might be skunked. Perhaps thats just the way this is supposed to smell but I doubt it. Underneath a skunky aroma I smell some spices, damn looks like this might be a bit skunked. Damn it Giant Eagle! I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time and this is prolly the only place I've seen it. And Damn the Brasserie Dupont sprl for bottling in green glass. Underneath the skunk there is some nice spiciness, hard to get anything else from this.

Tongue: Not as spicy as I thought it would be. Pretty smooth all in all. To me this is bland in flavor, also its hard to get past the skunky aroma when taking a swig of this, just ruins the flavor, not that I'm getting much from it anyway. Little bit of hops in the flavor with some malt sweetness, not really impressed though.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely not impressed by mouthfeel either. Very low carbonation, feels almost flat in the mouth, not very pleasing. This is one I might buy again, if only to give it a second chance, I'll be sure to get it from a place where I can see that it is stored properly. From what I can tell now this brew isn't all that great, not much flavor, and its not all that great. As a matter of fact, I am glad that I've had Hennepin before this; because if this were the first of the style I'd ever tasted I'd be turned off to it.

becktone, Dec 10, 2007

VierBier, Jun 22, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish body with a good sized head

Aroma: Spicy; malty; citrusy notes

Taste: tart fruit and spicy hops in the start and mid; finishes fairly dry

Remarks: A little too dry and bitter for me.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

IchLiebeBier, Jun 15, 2013

RollTide7, Jun 23, 2013

wertschy, Feb 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a 750 ml and poured into a chalice.

It pours nice, gold in color witha a decent white head.

The aroma is let down to me, smells to me like a stale beer, a little sour.

The taste is very bland as well.

I would not drink this beer again, don't quite get the overall impression here.

jrallen34, Jul 22, 2009

bluesplit63, Jan 24, 2012

TerrapinWakenBake, Nov 18, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -37.2%

This was my first saison style beer. It poured a dark golden color with a thick head that stuck around for a while and left a little lacing on the glass. Quite a few floaties in the glass. The aroma was sort of yeasty and grainy with some fruits in the back, but not really very interesting. The flavor was a little too acidic for my tastes. There was also some sweet malt and a little fruity taste, but the acid taste made it out to be not one of my favorites.

clvand0, Sep 26, 2003
2.65/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing amount of carbonation, a HUGE head, and white wine color. Looks a lot like Duvel, so boring color and body but crazy head and carbonation.

Starts, like some kind of trash that went bad smell. After that it mellows into a sour, sweet, wheat, and some hoppy kind of aroma. Belgium yeast is definitely in there.

Sour. A good bit of hops. As I drink this the sour goes to just a really really citrus flavor. Not a certain fruit comes out, just the sour citrus lemon tingle mixed with bitterness from hops and yeast leaving a weird bready flavor.

Well carbonated, moderate body, the carbonation really make this a fun beer to drink.

Surprisingly drinkable.

I am sure I'll never get this beer again. It is so far from a style I like it's not funny. This is pretty darn weird flavored, and without the hops there's nothing to save this beer. Thankfully the hops save things. They take a lot of off putting flavors and somehow mix them together. I think I understand why this beer is well ranked, but it just isn't for me. Bottom line, buyer be ware. This isn't a beer for "advanced pallets" it's a beer for those that enjoy this style of beer. If you're not one, don't wasn't your money.

bobhits, Oct 06, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

sengelha, Aug 24, 2014
2.7/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a La Chouffe, 25cl, tulip style glass. A huge, dense head of about, oh, three fingers form on top of the beer. Beer is clear and a pale straw color. The head actually dissipates near the neck of the tulip glass, but leaves foam at the top of the glass and then another layer on top of the beer. I can actually see through the missing layer with foam on top and bottom. Very interesting.

Nose is yeast and sweetness. Smells a bit like a eurolager like Heineken. Wasnt expecting that and dont really like it.

The taste is not much for me either. Yeasty. Slight bit of that skunk taste as well. A bit chalky and rusty and "grandmothers basement" tastes as well. Is it possible I got a bad bottle?

Mouthfeel was crsip and refreshing. Light bodied beer. Carbonation is clean and adds a bit to the overall likeabitlity of the beer. However, I dont like the taste or smell. Smells like a corn concocted macro lager. Possibly a bad batch so I will buy one more and give it another chance. But this one is not good. Will have trouble finishing but will definitely do so.

SaCkErZ9, Feb 26, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -34.8%

Aromas of some light Belgian yeast, ripe citrus fruit, earthy funk and a solid herbal backbone.
The taste follows the nose with grainy pilsner malt, understated spiciness from the hops of the Belgian yeast, lemon zest, some grassy/herbal qualities, a bit sour/tangy and certainly quite dry.
Mouthfeel is full despite the lackluster malt profile. Higher carbonation but appropriate for the style. This is not the most flavorful saison in existence, but it is true to style. This is just too boring for my liking overall. I can appreciate how it's a "perfect" example of the style, but the traditional style is lackluster for my taste.

claspada, Apr 01, 2011

smonice, Oct 08, 2012

GiaLvo, Jun 20, 2014

pdmoore714, Sep 01, 2014

heytomcat, Aug 22, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a (green) 750 into a Belgian style beer glass.

I am afraid this one is a bit skunked... I am sure it is not too bad, and as such I will see what I can find to review anyway.

Head is very white and full, leaving a nice lacing.
Color is pale gold, very clear beer.

Smell is initially the aforementioned skunk... followed by malt, hop and a bit of anise.

Taste is malt, hop and, sadly, a bit of skunk. There is more going on but I am afraid this review will be on the tainted side, like this bottle.

Mouthfeel is medium body and high carbonation.

When I tried this beer before it was great. Bright, clean and inviting. I will be sure to review this one again.

meeekyh, Jan 19, 2010

bacasnax, Mar 30, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -31.3%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste.

Amalak, Dec 23, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer.

larsee01, Feb 18, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Pale, mostly golden in appearance. Creamy head, very good retention. EDIT: Make that, VERY good retention. The head sticks around long after the beer underneath it has been drunk. Cloudy appearance with a few floaties. No real lacing but head clings for dear life to glass. Not that it needs to, that head could withstand anything. I'd say that's about the most impressive head I've ever seen.

Nose is very metallic and hoppy. There is a strong iron or steel character with a slight grainy character lingering ever-so-slightly at the back. It's quite nice but there isn't all that much more to it.

Quite weizeny on the palate with that wheaty, banana character. Surprising really since there is nothing of the sort in it. Surprisingly bitter on the finish, a lot of hops coming through following that light, wheaty flavour. This leaves me, to be honest, with a really quite sinking, heavy feeling because it feels over-hopped without enough rich barley malt to balance, and the mouthfeel is a bit clunky. Taste is pleasant enough but it's quite heavy-going. I wouldn't call this a sessioning beer. I quite respect this, but I don't like it all that much, unfortunately.

laituegonflable, Mar 30, 2009