Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a (green) 750 into a Belgian style beer glass.

I am afraid this one is a bit skunked... I am sure it is not too bad, and as such I will see what I can find to review anyway.

Head is very white and full, leaving a nice lacing.
Color is pale gold, very clear beer.

Smell is initially the aforementioned skunk... followed by malt, hop and a bit of anise.

Taste is malt, hop and, sadly, a bit of skunk. There is more going on but I am afraid this review will be on the tainted side, like this bottle.

Mouthfeel is medium body and high carbonation.

When I tried this beer before it was great. Bright, clean and inviting. I will be sure to review this one again.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

I had this out of a corked 25.4 ounce bottle.
A- It has a big, thick bubbly head with a good amount of lacing. Extremely bubbly (small), gold, clear.
S- It has something of a sour pilsner scent.
T- It has a vegetable maltiness to it. Kind of lagery, with an ale aftertaste. Some bitterness, expecially in the aftertaste. For an $11 bottle, I expect a more sophisticated taste.

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

750ml cork-top bottle poured into glass chalice. Cork says 2008.

A--Lotsa head. Looks like a serious BEER. Big bubbles yet foamy. Dark honey color with serious ascending carbonation. Little bit of yeast floaties.

S--Bready, smokey, touch of ripe banana. Cinnamon and clove spices, sour, mineraly. A whole lot going on here! A tip of the hat to the complex characters in the smell.

T--Surprisingly bitter up front. Hard, earthy mineral nature. A twinge of crisp apple fruitiness fortunately saves this from being one-sided. Aftertaste of light bread/crackers. Kind of a dish-soapy taste. It's the most accurate way I can describe it, but it's not overtly offensive.

M--Ok I suppose. Bitterness lends a dry nature. At 6.5 ABV it's nicely balanced between light and heavy.

D--I guess, bur I really don't like the bitterness of this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

Pale, mostly golden in appearance. Creamy head, very good retention. EDIT: Make that, VERY good retention. The head sticks around long after the beer underneath it has been drunk. Cloudy appearance with a few floaties. No real lacing but head clings for dear life to glass. Not that it needs to, that head could withstand anything. I'd say that's about the most impressive head I've ever seen.

Nose is very metallic and hoppy. There is a strong iron or steel character with a slight grainy character lingering ever-so-slightly at the back. It's quite nice but there isn't all that much more to it.

Quite weizeny on the palate with that wheaty, banana character. Surprising really since there is nothing of the sort in it. Surprisingly bitter on the finish, a lot of hops coming through following that light, wheaty flavour. This leaves me, to be honest, with a really quite sinking, heavy feeling because it feels over-hopped without enough rich barley malt to balance, and the mouthfeel is a bit clunky. Taste is pleasant enough but it's quite heavy-going. I wouldn't call this a sessioning beer. I quite respect this, but I don't like it all that much, unfortunately.

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl