Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,730 | Reviews: 1,521

Straight 4s. Definitely a very good beer, but it just didn't tip the scales to outstanding.

I think this is what Ommegang was shooting for with Hennepin, as i'd had Hennepin on multiple occasions before ever getting a sip of this, and that's what this reminded me of.

Only this is a bit deeper and more complex than Hennepin. Something sort of woodsy here. Doug nailed it, there's hint of tree bark in here. Lightly spicy.

I prefer saisons with at least a hint of sourness, and this had none. But of course it was still a pleasure to drink last brew day.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer is never around the area in bottle format so it was pure delight to find it on-tap.

In the proper glassware, this beer actualizes a golden canary with a fluffy dollop of head that lasts, lingers, and leaves great lace rings.

The aroma of this beer is enticingly tart; lemony, filled with crisp hop zest, with a slightly spicy yeast profile.

This beer is a delicious saison: it is amazingly light and zingy on the mouth but also delightfully substantial. The lemon flavors abound in harmony with a peppery spice content...and the lingeringly powerful hop-bite just makes it more drinkable by the end of the glass.

The mouthfeel is almost bitingly carbonated but underneath is a dry, addictively smooth pucker of lemon and lime. Damned drinkable...hope I can find this again sometime.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

This poured a nice cloudy light gold with a nice head that settled into a fine layer with good lacing

The smell is all fruit for me...banana and apricot is what I sense.

The taste is very fruity with tones of banana, apricot and a bit of yeasty malty flavour. It's my first Saison and right off the bat, I really LIKE the style! ;^)

Highly recommended.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This Saison arrived a brilliant pale and murky The crown was over two fingers and carbonation was extremly active.
The head disapated to a full lace with minor glass cling as the sample continued.
The body is full.
The aroma is bready with a light hop back..(cascades?)
The taste is to the grains,bready, and constant, but not overpowering.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

I’d love this farmhouse ale on appearances alone! On popping the champagne cork you get a blast of earthy, hoppy, spicy aromas. It pours our with a beautiful head that looks like meringue. This thick white cloud lasts through the entire drink. The aromas and tastes remind me of black pepper and a fresh plowed field. The color is a deep yellow/orange and has bits of yeast suspended throughout. The flavor starts sweet from the malt and then finishes dry from the hops. It is both refreshing and complex. I call this my “picnic beer.” It compliments almost any dish of food. I did have one once with a tomato soup that didn’t really do anything for me but have it with a ham and strong swiss cheese sandwich! I consider myself a Scottish Ale man but if pressed, I might say that this is the beer I’d pick if I could only have one for the rest of my beer drinking days.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cork dated 2005: This one popped with vigor. Nice inch and a half of head on the clear ( besides a few yeasties), light golden beer. The nose is quite spicy. Some orange peel and fruity, musty yeast are lurking as well. I detect an ever so slight odor of banana.

This is one spicy beer. Maybe I am tasting the hops. As the beer warms, the musty, yeasty, barnyardy funkiness heightens. A brief sour note must be noted.

Mouthfeel is medium, but more coating than I am used to for the style. I would drink this all day in the blistering sun. I just wish this were cheaper.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick white head that laces until the finish.

S- Slight hints of sourness in the beginning gave way to some slightly sweet floral notes with a faint spiciness in the finish.

T- This beer has a nice gentle sour note in the that was followed by soft malt and wheat flavors. There was a punch of grapefruit and a faint salty and spicy flavor to the finish.

M- medium light mouthfeel with some fizziness and a faint astringent quality.

D- This beer is a smooth light beer with good complexity. It feels like the same malt bill as American light lagers but with a yeast that adds so much complexity that has a wonderful taste.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%

2003 vintage, and my first ever saison. Very carbonated, pours light gold and cloudy. Subtle aromas of yeast, herbs, vanilla, licorice, and toasted marshmallow. An interesting combination of bitter and sour flavors. Clean finishing and dangerously drinkable. The light mouthfeel was quite appropriate to the style. I was impressed.

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

Wow, my first review in a long time. This is only my third saison, so I'm not sure If I really understand the style yet, but here it goes.
Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Hapkin glass. Needed all that extra room because it produced a vigorous head. My first thought when I smelled it was, "Wow this is skunked". But maybe that is how it supposed to smell. Another Saison I had smelled the same. Ended up tasting pretty great. Fruity sweetness mixed with corriander and a lingering bitterness. The most enjoyable of the few saisons I've had. Would go great with any dinner that calls for white wine. Definately worth picking up.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance – Pours densely cloudy yellow, yet full of light, with a three finger off-white head supported by the serious carbonation.

Smell – Strong yeast with many medium, deeper fruit aromas and some leafy odors. Complex

Taste – Multifaceted spiciness from the yeast with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Some hops are detectable, but [to my palate] either masked by the significant yeast contribution or seamlessly blended with it.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and full and heavily carbonated as appropriate for the style. Slight puckering effect in my mouth.

Drinkability – Exceptional with a appetizers or even heavier foods. I would submit this is a fine picnic wine.

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

Openned Oct. 4, 2005. Best before 01/2008.

A: Copper-gold, nice white head, but very little retention. Still makes some nice lace though!

S: Grassy, herbal.

T: Spicy yeast flavour, very dry, sharp bitterness. Tartness is only barely detectable. Very rustic & unrefined. I realize this is part of the style, but it just wasn't harmonious... it's like all the instruments were there, but they were playing off-key.

M: Light body, moderately high carbonation.

D: While it hides the alcohol well, there's a bit of a bite, and I don't find it all that pleasant.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

I can see how/why this has been considered the standard for the style.
Purchased at the Beverage Depot in Flushing, NY.
I was a little concerned about the condition this beer would be in because of the green bottle and the relative lack of turnover of imports.. couldnt find a freshness date either.
My concerns melted away with a satisfying *pop*, (2005 boldly written on the cork) a thick creamy white head (which never quite goes away) and that familiar, comforting, farmhouse ale smell... slightly skunky and funky but in that good kind of way.
A good, soft blend of spices... pumpkin bread and carrot cake comes to mind.
The foam on this one is a great deal of fun to play with. It has no problem maintaining a smiley face.
Tart and smooth mouthfeel and deliciously drinkable.
$8.99 for 750mL is a tichy steep for my regular rotation... and Hennepin at $5 or less is similar and tasty in its own way...
yet a revist is schedualed.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer pours a cloudy golden yellow, with a very thick, fluffly white head. The head fades very slowly leaving very thick laces. This beer has a slightly clove like aroma. I detect bananas, and a citrus aroma also. I also smell some lemon. It has a slightly hoppy aroma also. The alcohol is not apparent in the aroma. This beer has a stromg lemon taste to it. It has hints of pepper to it also. I can taste bananas also. The clove flavor is hidden, but if you look for it, you will notice it. This beer finishes dry. I think this beer tastes great. It is crisp and refreshing. It is light bodied and it goes down very smoothly. This beer is carbonated to perfection. It leaves a citrusy aftertaste. I think this beer is very drinkable. I could probably drink about a gallon of this beer by my self. If you ever see this beer, you need to get it. I will definately buy this beer again.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

My very first Saison. Poured out to a highly carbonated slightly hazy golden color. Major white foamy head would not stay down. Aromas of dough and grain are noted. Taste is uniquely dry and mellow; reminded me of some dry champagnes i've had in the past. Flavors of yeast, grain, burned malts, and some weak malt. Tart finish with some fruity flavors. Definitly different. Unlike anything I would call a belgian pale ale, as many have described this brew. Good mouthfeel is enhanced by the high level of carbonation. This is not an everyday brew; more or less a now and then treat. Mediocre drinkability. I will try some other beers of this style, and see how they compare. Worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

yellow and hazy with moderate sediment; huge thick rocky white head, kind of fluffy. attractive.
nose is overwhelmingly yeast and citrus, like lemon. refreshing smell.
crisp and refreshing. light to medium body with quick dry finish. lots of yeast. has a bite to it.
this is not my style. I give it credit for quality and craftsmanship and being an interesting beer.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

BB 06-2007. Great presentation with foreverlasting head and a deep golden beer that shows lots of haze.
Nose is very spicy, hoppy, litle aour and alcoholic and good yeastfruit remembering of pears. lots of wheatmalt are well detectable and overal just marvelous. As is taste that's dry, grassy, alcoholic and bitter. Pepper and other spices again well dosed and hard to say witch one's have been used, great dosation altogether. Perfect carbonisation that's high makes it to a perfect mouthfeel and yes this is one of the finest saisonbeers I've tasted so far. Very good drinkable and IMO a must have tried if your into belgium beers.

750ml bottle, cork sez 2005. Pours a cloudy yellow with tons of foam, which lasts a very long time. Scents of fruits, reminds me of a hefe. Very nice taste with a light body, finishes clean and dry. This would make a very nice session beer, but the price is pretty steep. Really like this one, did not disappoint.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

After all the recent hype about this beer, I was anxious to give it a try. It isn't widely availabe in my area but I found a 375ml bottle in a store I don't visit too often.

Poured with a huge cloudy white head. Lots and lots of foam! Maybe my glass wasn't perfectly clean(?) but the head seemed extraordinary. Lots of sticky lace, too. Pale yellow color with quite a bit of cloudy haze.

Aroma of yeast, sour citrus, and very little malt or spice.

Simple taste profile; slight hop bitterness with a citrusy tang. Finish with a little residual sweetness.

Very pleasant, drinkable beer but hardly the best I've ever tasted.

3.47/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy light golden color. Huge bubbles in a thick foamy head. As I drink, the head turned into very fine bubbles. Sweet Belgian twang in the nose. Yeast, fruit and dough.

Stale bitterness in the first taste. Bitter, almost sour in the aftertaste well into the back of the tongue. Dry finish. Fruit. Hints of Muscat grapes and apple. Light body. As it warmed, I poured more of the 750ml into my glass and the spiciness of the yeast came out.

I have been told that this ids the standard of the style, but it seems more like a starting point. Something is missing. It is good, but could be taken is so many more interesting directions. Tastes too much (as is) like a stale Belgian pale ale.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow gold color with a thick moussy head at first pour and a storm of bubbles rising to maintain the head. The head actually grew after a few minutes to look like a volcanic island sitting in the middle of my glass. The head retained forever, and left a boat load of lace in its wake.

Aroma: Through the foam, I get a good deal of citrus and some biscuity malts. There is some noticeable spicy/citrusy hops contributing to the aroma also. There is a light grainy/wheaty aroma that becomes more noticeable as the beer warms up a bit.

Taste: Light and refreshing citrusy flavor profile is the first thing that you notice. There is some assertive hopping in this beer compared to other examples of Belgian beers. The finish is slightly dry and attenuated, and there is a slight alcoholic warmth lingering in the back of the throat with the citrus. As it warms up, the flavor profile mellows out and the citrus subsides to let the grain and spiciness play a bigger role in the profile.

Opinion: This is an amazing beer! It has a whole lot of backbone and flavor while being light enough to be consumed as a session beer. The flavor changes enough while you are drinking it, that if you don't like it...just wait a minute...it will change. This is a great beer, and I would highly recommend it!

3.97/5  rDev -5%

One of my local bars serves this by the 374 ml bottle for nine bucks. This makes me love the beer. The beer pours with a medium to large head. Although thick, the head does not last as long as you would think. The color is a cloudy and pale tan. The taste is rich—hints of nut, not bitter but not smooth. If you let it sit in your mouth it will feel lighter as it warms. Overall, Saison Dupont is a fine beer to sip or drink.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

750 ml 2k5
Cork pops out very loudly. Good thing I had a hold on it.

Much more pale than I had expected. Cloudy with a giant thick white head.

Tart honey smell with honey notes and some belgian yeast medicinal smells.

Light, very dry with a nice CO2 bite. Amazingly well balanced. A little sweetness pokes its head out to counter the dryness. Outstanding!

Thin and bubbly mouthfeel. Very thirst quenching.

6.5% with a nice light body makes this a great session beer.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a hazy golden color with hints of amber sporting a big white head made up of small and large bubbles leaves lots of sticky lace.

Aroma is malty with fruit citrus some apples and spice, some earthy yeasts noted underneath.

Taste is light wheat malt like lots of citrus, lemony some spice clove, pepper and the earthy yeast again in the flavor. This one was a little funky but not as farmy wet horse blanket like as I was expecting hence the 3.5 overall pleasant though.

Mouthfeel is medium tilted to full side lots of flavor.

Drinkability is good nice enough enjoyable just not funky enough. Thanks go to movingshadow152 for this bottle.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

i had this beer along with a westmalle and a chimay that a friend had brought back from georgia. good that i had this one first, as i liked it least of the three, which is not a putdown at all. this is more of a summer beer than the others.
served from a corked, tall, green 12.7 fl oz bottle. pours up a hazy light orange color, with a champagne like head, tons of bubbles. head stayed around, lots of lace. smells of fruit, possible lemon or sweeter, maybe even a garden like smell. tasted about the same, with lemon becoming obvious, and a hint of alcohol on the sides of he mouth. somewhat wheaty taste, in a good way. great mouthfeel, nicely carbonated and tingly. dry but a very refreshing beer.

this is the first time i have ever tried a saison, and i've got a bottle of hennepin up next.

cheers...

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from the green 750ml bottle the pour yeilded a luscious three-finger deep white frothy head. Almost like cream on top of expresso, the head was light and airy and a pure white color. The beer itself was dark yellow color with hints of orange. Big chunks of lace clung to the glass throughout the duration of the sample. The three-finger head from the pour reduced down to about a half-finger and stayed there throughout the sample.

The aroma of the beer was quite complicated. Certainly no hops in the nose but also no overly conspicious malt. A soft citrus aroma indicative of oranges and corriander. Also a slight bit of clove perhaps and an ever so slight smell of alcohol.

The taste was rather full bodied for its color. Not overwhelming on the palate by any means but deceptively strong. Orange and citrus fruit were the innitial sensations and a champaign like white grape taste was also present. Ample carbonation offered a crispness to each sip that made the beer refreshing and all but made it slight tinge of alcohol not noticable.

Medium mody with a freshness and crispness on the palate.

Indeed very drinkable and enjoyable. I've only had two saisons from the bottle, this and Ommegang's offering. I much prefer this from bottle compared to Hennepin (although I thought that beer to be quite excellent on tap). Indeed this appears to me to be the perfect summer sipper. Not a beer to slam down after mowing the lawn in the summer, but rather one to sip and enjoy its complexities on a hot summer night.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl