Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ahh, memories of visiting the Dupont pub...I won't waste review space with the story, let's just say the locals as colorful as they are friendly.

This is one hot-mama of a beer. She's got a big billowy hairdo, like meringue and built of a variety of bubble sizes. Carbonation is healthy, feeding that amazing cap. Her skin is an entrancing rusty gold that has an almost hypnotic glow, also exhibiting beautiful clarity. She is draped in finest lace. Ahem...back to earth.

Aroma is definitely musty farmhouse: earth, hay, grass, apple, pear, mustard seed, pilsner malts (not sure that's the malt used, but it has a similar smell). Alcohol and white pepper get through, but these are mild, allowing the more subtle components a chance to shine.

Begins fruity (pear, peach, green apple, grapefruit), with a slightly sour yeasty kick. A peppery heat runs through the flavor, having seemingly nothing to do with the alcohol content, which is modest at 6.5%. Hops have a sharp but controlled bitterness like a great Czech pils. Malts are grainy and bready, superbly balanced against the hops and various spicy elements. Finishes a bit tart, but it didn't seem as prominent as it warmed.

Mouthfeel is buoyant and airy, with plenty of energetic action thanks to the unending carbonation. Impressive dryness, which leaves you yearning for another sip immediately after the previous one goes down.

Great stuff. It's not overly extreme or complicated, but it does have depth and excellent drinkability. This would be most heavenly after doing some hard physical labor in the summertime, but I'll take it on a chilly autumn day like today, or just about anytime.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Short bottle, 2.006 on cork, served in a glass goblet. I kept any sediment in the bottle with a gentle pour, as I don't like anything floating in my beer.

A - clear, golden color with a fluffy white head that left a bunch of lacing on the glass. Tiny bubbles kept rising from the bottom which kept the head steady.

S - some fruity sourness in the nose, apple, white grape and a hint of yeast.

T - light refreshing taste similar to a Spumante but finish is dry with a slight bitter bite.

M - light bodied, crisp carbonation.

D - not a brew to be 'chugged' but a glass or two is an enjoyable drinking experience.

Final Note: I can see how drinking too many beers like this might turn one into a 'beer snob', but I highly recommend trying this at least once.

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

A 750ml bottle with 2 2007 stamped on the cork. An orange color with a beautiful thick white head. Fruity aroma, mostly apple. a little yeast also. A nice fruity taste, again the yeast, and a dry, somewhat bitter finish. A good session beer, fun to drink.

No chalice so have to use a trusty pint glass.

Beer pours a pale, grainy color with a decent amount of head that leaves thick lacing. I decided to let the beer warm up before trying it. Aroma is rich and spicy with faint hints of raisin. Taste is very light at first with only the spice and raisin showing through. Goes down smooth. A second sip confirms the smoothness and maltiness. I feel that the beer isn't as strong as I hoped and it just seems unimpressive to me. Not bad but I'll definitely revisit down the road.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

I undid the wiring holding the cork and it shot out and this beer poured a crazy ass head. It has a murky yellowish brown color.

Smell is of pear and some light green apple.

Smell is of sweet citrus. Some pear and apple come out. Some yeasty musty funk comes out and the beer finishes dry.

Nice carbonation on the beer. Crisp mouthfeel.

This makes for a decent session. I expected a little more. I actually found a bottle of this after I had traded for it, so I'll try the traded version after this and see if it is any different.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

I bought a case of these (24x250mL) bottles, because I thought I remembered really liking it back when I first had it (previously from the large corked bottle). I've been somewhat disappointed. The three I've had so far haven't been bad, per se, but they haven't blown me away.

Anyway, this beer pours a slighly cloudy medium-golden into a small Sinha glass. Huge fluffy head that I have to fight to prevent it from overflowing. Pretty decent looking, in fact. Aroma is restrained, mildly sour, and fruity. Very little of that barnyard flavour I'd been expecting, and more spicy. Mouthfeel is much more light and spritzy than I remembered, and that may be the biggest disappointment. Flavour is peppery, spicy, mildly sour, with a little bit of lemon but none of the funk I want to see in a farmhouse ale. Still, it's fairly refreshing if that's what you're looking for. The aftertaste is a little on the tart side, but fairly clean. I'll definitely get through the case, but might not make it a regular purchase.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

I tried this beer at Max's Taphouse in Fells point on draft. The appearance was excellent, sparkling golden color with a rocky off white head.
Dupont had a fruity snappy hop aroma.
It's taste was more than delicious, it was magnificent. Light and dry but full bodied at the same time, it could be the most drinkable and delicious ale on the planet.

I would highly recommend trying this beer. It is also great in bottles where it provided an even stronger aroma. On draft seasonally at Max's. I found it at Astor liquor in Laurel in 11.2 oz bottles.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

A = Pours a cloudy dull yellow with lots of billowy head. about 3/4" of head remained throughout.

S = Smells somewhat musty with very spicy notes.

T = Very complex. Reminds me of a more intense belgian wheat beer with a slight hop character. Also has a nice tartness to it.

M = Medium bodied and a high level of carbonation and surprisingly more "thick" than I had imagined.

D = I couldn't sit and pound these, but it's a special treat and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Hazy, ruddy orange color with a head that goes on and on. High carbonation level. Musty and earthy aroma. Wet straw like. You can smell the farmhouse in there! Somewhat sweet, dried fruit flavor. Again earthy and musty. Dry, sharp finish to it. Good mouthfeel-the high level of carbonation makes it quite lively on the palate. An all around great beer. I think this might be the first saison I ever had years ago. Still a great, great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

375 ml corked bottle from Bevmo. Pours a rich unfiltered golden color with a huge white head that fades very slowly. Aroma is strong with notes of yeast, sour grapes, breads, and grass. Flavor is understated compared to the aroma. There is a complex mellowness to this concoction that is mostly sweet with notes of wheat, almonds, biscuit, and pears. Hops were well embedded and showed only toward the finish. Mouthfeel was very full, smooth, and silky. Finish was long, hoppy, dry and semi-sweet. Overall: this is a beer that I would drink at any occasion. I think it might go particularly well with seafood. Highly Recommended

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Slightly cloudy straw gold body with a healthy cream white head.. trickles down the glass

S: Balanced lemon and soft hops with a hint of a wheaty scent

T: Dry and refreshing lemon-wheat-hops flavor... well balanced on the palate and not overpowering in any direction...slightly tart, with a good farmhouse funk

M: Medium-light bodied with a healthy amount of carbonation

D: Refreshing and versitile .. can drink with or without food for one or more drinks ...

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Notes:

Had this with pad thai last week, which worked very well.

Golden straw, creamy white head, great clarity with carbonation bubbles throughout.

Strong buttery-hay scent with mild fruit.

Creamy, butter taste, slightly nutty. Soft lemons, some malt, golden delicious apples, light toffee, pears, medium body with good carbonation. Crisp, clean, refreshing, and flavourful.

I love this beer! Could drink on any given day, preferably a sunny afternoon. Would like to go for a robust chicken salad. Good reputation and understandably so.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

A slightly cloudy golden color with a thick white head. I was sure not to get any of the yeast on the initial pour. The aroma was slightly citrusy but with a sour note that almost smelled like the beer was bad. The flavor was not what I expected. Only a bit of citrus poked through the musty dry flavor. There was an abundance of bitterness. I actually had a hard time finishing the entire 750. Mouthfeel was pretty light but not a beer I'll drink again unless I go to back to belgium.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

11.2 oz., 330 mL bottle,

A: Pours a sparkling, cloudy yellow, with a big, thick, white head, that just keeps coming, very frothy and billowy, cloud-like.

S: Very lemony, citrus, a bit of hops, also had a bit of a sour tint to it, with some white pepper, as well.

T: Very lemony upfront, strong citrus flavour, the hops a very noticable, very dry and earthy, grassy, especially for a Belgian beer, grassy, pretty straightforward in the flavours, not the most complex of beers, but all the flavours are very good and enjoyable.

M: Dry, very dry, medium-bodied, very refreshing, definitely a great summer quencher beer.

D: A great all-around beer, could do lots of things with it, from relaxing poolside or pairing it with a 5-course meal, very versatile beer, a tad pricey, but worth it every time.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Poured a light golden color into my chilled glass with a generous 3 finger head. A large continuous stream of lively bubbles streamed from the center and fed the frothy foam which stuck nicely to the sides.

Citrus was the main attraction here, with a very refreshing aroma.

The taste was also mostly citrus with a good amount of hops. Not a beer which seemed to have much in the way of underlying tastes going on, it was all right up front.

Incredible mouth feel, the carbonation just kept coming.

A very drinkable beer, very clean and refreshing. My first time trying this but it won't be the last. Would even make a great session beer if not for the price, but it's also a perfect beer to break out a bottle or two for those special occasions.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I poured a 375 ml bottle into a chilled Dupont Saison glass.

A: The body is a opaque, creamy and lemony yellow that is reminiscent of a lemon cream soda. The head was amazingly abundant…a full four fingers that continued to be generated for several minutes after I poured the beer into my glass. The head is bone white, sticky and it lasted forever. I prefer a little less head but the white head on the lemony body reminded me of my grandmothers lemon mirage pie…yummy.

S: The aroma is a perfumy floral complemented by a lemony citrus odor.

T: It is a bit tart and sour with a white pepper aftertaste. There is a mellow herbal sweetness with a bite of a lemon rind. There is a green grass bitter flavor that comes forward and dominates but the aggressive carbonation and lemony freshness clean the palate and leave a refreshing taste inviting the next sip.

M: It has a creamy smoothness despite the heavy bite of carbonation and dryness from the alcohol. This Saison is medium-bodied and very silky it reminds me of a Belgium Witbier.

D: This is nice smooth beer that went down quite well. It is a very drinkable Saison that is best suited for a mid-summer afternoon pool party

Comment: I enjoy Saisons as a change of pace from other Belgiums. This is a very refreshing beer that belongs in the lineup for summer parties and picnics.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into my Duvel tulip. The cage comes off and the cork almost flies out. The beer (poured slowly) fills about 1/4 of the glass and a huge billowing head takes up the rest. The carbonation is raging from the bottom laser etching supporting this beast of a rocky, soapy head. This is one magnificent looking beer. The smell really indicated how dry this beer is going to be. Smooth and spicy, there is yeast, citrus, and sweet bubblegum aromas. I have to wait a few minutes- even though it is in a tulip glass- to drink the beer because the head it so retentive and thick.
The flavor is very complex: The initial sip is incredibly dry and bitter, but after it sits on your tongue for a while the sticky-sweet, buttery flavors bleed out. There are flavors of grapes, melon, wheat, and bitter orange mixed within every sip. The aftertaste is like taffy with an overall earthy taste throughout then entire sip. Definite Belgian candi sugar, and lots of it to dry this out so much. Prickly and tingly give an effervescent mouthfeel that makes you want to keep sipping. As the sips continue there is more of a grapey-hoppy flavor. I can taste pure and fresh Goldings hops as it warms up which adds a certain metallic effect that is amplified by the dryness. As the beer goes from bitter, to sweet, back to a metallic bitterness it shows many dimensions. I am still staring at a big chunk of head that remains on the side of the glass for the entire session- crazy...
Overall, this is one unique and amazing beer. I wish it didn't cost so much because I feel that I should have a few before I can really grasp what is going on with the drink at different temps. It changes almost dynamically as temperature increases and the drink progresses.

Awesome beer.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours golden, brownish-orange, hazy appearance, with a full, rocky, tightly beaded head and lacing.

S: unfortunately had a skunky aroma, after awhile the skunkiness flashed off and left it with a refreshing, citrus-fruit and slightly floral aroma.

T: Begins with a dried fruit, cherry-like flavor, combines with earthiness, then a clovy taste works its way in. Ends with an earthy, slightly mouth-watering bitterness. A very refreshing flavor. After awhile an orange citrus flavor is present in the beginning. Reminds me of a light tripel.

M: Very fluffy and light, adds to the refreshingness of the beer.

D: More drinkable than a tripel, nice flavor complexity balanced with a light mouthfeel makes for a refreshing beer. I could enjoy a number of these.

Edit: I was going to change my review because 3.85 seems awfully low for a beer this enjoyable. However, I noticed that other reviewers noticed the skunkiness. It is unfortunate that the shippers and distributors aren't helping but neither is the green bottle. I let my scoring stand but if you can let the skunkiness flash off then this is a great beer well worth drinking.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Sunny, hazy translucent body. Huge white, fluffy and clinging head with great retention and beautiful lace, medium size bubbles.
Scent is yeast, earth, hay and grainy. Light honey and spiced hops. Abit of warmth really turns up the intensity of the malts.
Tastes like musty earth at first, then more hops come through and finally a sweet light honey flavor. The aftertaste is long and hoppy with some spice.
Medium-full body with some coating and a dry slightly puckering finish.
Pretty good drinkability but too high abv to be a thirstquencher.

-Oelergud

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

My favorite beer of all time. The standard benchmark for the Saison style. Highly recommended.

Pours lemony-yellow with a huge rocky, three finger massive head, leaving lacing all over the glass. Very inviting. Aroma is grassy/hoppy. Flavor is dry/herbal-hoppy/spicy with a very dry finish. Spicy notes in the aftertaste and a slight alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing, easy to drink. Agian, my favorite beer, all around.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: After I uncaged the bottle, I thought the cork was going to come out itself. Poured into my tulip glass with a very inviting cloudy bright orange color. A 3 and a half finger white head built quickly on this one.

Smell: I wasn't impressed here at first but it kind of grew on me. At first it was comparable to a low grade pils, but then some nice citrus aromas started coming through. Eventually it just lost aroma altogether, turning into a clean inoffensive breath inwards. Confusing.

Taste: Nice and light with hints of citrus at first, some hoppiness comes through, but then it turns sour... literally. I'm not sure what to think about that change, but it wasn't bad. There is a grassy note in there somewhere and a bittering finish that adds just the right amount of bite. Refreshing after cooling off an hour or so after running.

Notes: What a strange brew this is. It's my first of the saison style, and probably won't be my last. My only complaint, and the thing that will probably keep me from buying this for wuite sometime is the hefty price that comes on a glass of this. It was about 6 dollars... Ouch.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A beautiful, honey-blonde ale pours into the glass with a monstrous, fluffy white head. Superb retention is fueled by a fervent carbonation, which bubbles up around small chunks of yeast. Lacing is clumpy, but visually appealing. The aroma packs notes of vanilla, honey, wheat bread, orange cream, an a bit of a warming "Band-aid" note. Very enticing on the whole.

Wow: this is delicious. Notes of wheat, fruit, and honey complement organic grasses, vanilla, coriander spice, and (not too) sweet malts. Some alcohol peeks through as well. Mouthfeel is crisp, a bit on the dry side, but bubbly and refreshing. A bitter bite on the end lets you know some spicy hops are at work. I'd probably have this beer every day if my liver and budget would allow it. Definitely a worthwhile Saison.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours with a towering white head which takes quite some time to settle over the super yeast sedimented pale orangey-golden liquid. Nose is loaded with "horse blanket" aromas and fruitiness mingling with a light maltiness and yeastiness. The taste is wonderfully light bodied and hoppy, with lots of fruity overtones coupled with an effervescent carbonation makes this a very refreshing and tasty (and winning)combination. Thge finish is damm near perfect, with the fruity/sweet flavors morphing into a gorgeously hoppy, dry long finish...this is one outstanding Saison, if you see it, try it!

3.51/5  rDev -16%

750 ml bottle. Pours a murky brownish gold, with a big fizzy meringue -like white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is musty yeast, cloves and banana. There are some metallic skunky notes. As it warms, some peppery, floral notes and a little citrus come out.

The flavor is bready malts, yeast and a little fruit with a slightly bitter peppery finish. There are some skunky metallic notes. The mouthfeel is medium and extremely bubbly with a ton of carbonation (too much for me). As it warms, the mouthfeel smooths out a lot.

This is a tale of two beers. I sampled it after letting it sit out for a little while. I started pretty cold and it seemed pretty pedestrian (about a 6/10). As it warms, it smooths out and becomes more complex.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml bottle. cork says 2.006, I assume bottling year but I don't know. It's the high 90's here in Boston. Saison seemed a good choice.

A:cloudy and golden in color. abundance of carbonation and four finger white head that lingers well into drink. without exaggeration, one of the finest heads I've ever seen. foam clings to sides. 5.0 is a temptation but can't quite pull the trigger.

S: a rush of farmhouse aromas with pop of cork. earthy, musty, hops, lemons as well as a sourness

T: tart, a bit sour. grainy. slight peppery aftertaste

M: smooth and medium bodied, fizzy carbonation and dry finsh

D: very, very drinkable. great all around

Wow! Will fight with Hennepin for space in my shopping carriage.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl