Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with huge fluffy white head. Retention is very decent, some sticky lacing left behind.

Very earthy aroma with a decent amount of spice to it. Cloves smell is slightly dominate up front along with a bit of pepper. A somewhat earthy or grassy aroma sits just behind that.

Taste starts with a good amount of maltiness up front which is soon followed by a very grassy hop flavor. Slight lemon zest flavor but the fruit stops there. Much less fruit flavor than anticipated. Very balanced with the malt and hops seemingly tied together with the spiciness.

Very crisp and dry. Light bodied with very lively carbonation.

Tremendously drinkable. Terrific beer for a warm summer day, flavors would also work very well during the crisp fall weather. Very enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours the color of hay with a masssive white crown on top. It just came off the truck today, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the Everest of foam or not. Some sulfur going on in the nose, which lightly detracts from the abundance of earth and barnyard packed within the walls of my glass. Crisp and clean, very lively on the palate. The egginess dies down shortly but never quite goes away, not that this is a bad thing in this particular beer. I'm lovin' it. Ba da ba ba ba m*the^fu@#$r. Rustic farmhouse flavors to the max; finishing with a note of zesty lemon and peppery hop spice.

Sheer elegance. Try to make sure and get a fresh one, or at least one from the back of the shelf as far away from light as possible, I think it can skunk a little.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

I can't say I was absolutely stunned by saison dupont- after the whole hype I was on when someone finally brought it from the states for me- but still found it to be a decent beer.

I had the bottle laying down and could see the yeast settle at the bottom. when I poured it it also came out, but I like that. a bit opaque but very bright, between a bronze and an orange tone. the head- massive and strongly retentive- was a creamy white topping. nice.

The smell was the first thing I thought for it as for the taste: duvel. bordeline sweet but dry, a bit of alcohol, fruity and complex. a bit wheaty.

The taste can be described basically the same way....except it had a very dry finish. kind of a big contrast for me, because all-in-all i was expecting what I'd think was a "classic" belgian sort of finish. I'm no hophead, and this finish was strong enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like a bit of a crossover between a belgian pale and an american pale. anders, the beer was rather good, just not one I'll be asking for [that often].

3.76/5  rDev -10%

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with huge foamy white head. Slight lacing down the glass
S: Smell is peppery, slight honey smell as well as alcohol. Also has a slight skunky scent to it but not in a bad way.
T: Fruity up front with a dry aftertaste. You can taste alchohol here as well
M: Medium bodied, pretty easy drinking.
D: I liked this one, good to share bottle with somebody cause I dont think I could do one alone. Thanks to gclarkage for this bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass, 2011 date.

This pours a hazy straw / pale yellow color with a large foamy head with good retention. The smell is slightly metallic or as another reviewer put it burnt rubber. Under that you get a nice sweet smelling smell, a little banana. The taste is pretty good, I do get a little banana, some peppery spices and a nice dry long finish. The feel is medium to light, lots of carbonation. Overall not bad something I'd probably try again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Clean straw-gold body, clear with loads of nucleation under mountainous white head. Leaves sticky patches of lacing. Great color & composition.

Dry champagne smell, lemon, hints of pineapple & pepper.

Taste is clean malts, biscuity at first, with some orange & lemon tang. Grassy & herbal notes, as well flinty/mineral. There's a tea-like "leafiness." Actually reminds me of a heavier pale ale with an added herbal quality. Pretty dry for a saison, in my experience.

Medium-bodied, but with a light, spritzy freshness. Smooth.

Tasty & well-made, but still feels pretty full to me. Definitely one I'd go for repeatedly, but two in a sitting would probably be my limit.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I poured a 375 ml bottle into a chilled Dupont Saison glass.

A: The body is a opaque, creamy and lemony yellow that is reminiscent of a lemon cream soda. The head was amazingly abundant…a full four fingers that continued to be generated for several minutes after I poured the beer into my glass. The head is bone white, sticky and it lasted forever. I prefer a little less head but the white head on the lemony body reminded me of my grandmothers lemon mirage pie…yummy.

S: The aroma is a perfumy floral complemented by a lemony citrus odor.

T: It is a bit tart and sour with a white pepper aftertaste. There is a mellow herbal sweetness with a bite of a lemon rind. There is a green grass bitter flavor that comes forward and dominates but the aggressive carbonation and lemony freshness clean the palate and leave a refreshing taste inviting the next sip.

M: It has a creamy smoothness despite the heavy bite of carbonation and dryness from the alcohol. This Saison is medium-bodied and very silky it reminds me of a Belgium Witbier.

D: This is nice smooth beer that went down quite well. It is a very drinkable Saison that is best suited for a mid-summer afternoon pool party

Comment: I enjoy Saisons as a change of pace from other Belgiums. This is a very refreshing beer that belongs in the lineup for summer parties and picnics.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

750 ml. Bottled 2008 Tasted in Mid-March 2009

It has been years since I've had this beer and I am excited to finally try it again. Pours a beautiful hazy gold with hyperactive carbonation and crowned with a a thick white head. Smells very yeasty with light fruits and spices. The taste just blows me away. Saison Dupont is such an all-star that I hardly know where to begin. The first thing I notice is the way it makes me tongue tingle, followed by a sweet fruity and spicy blast not unlike that of a Belgian tripel just before a rush of orange zest hits the back palate and lingers on the finish. It's body is quite extraordinary -- tingly like I said but has a very substantial body that gradually breaks down and softens. An exceptional beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

i am blown away every time i have this one. benchmark awesome. slight haze to the burnt gold color. white head that holds forever and leaves beautiful lace. nose is shining, pure, clean, bready pilsner malt, earthy, floral, herbal hops, citrus, spice, grass, lemongrass, and a funky (but subdued) skunky/pot kind of thing. taste is a superbly balanced melange of all of the above with a dry and peppery finish. fluffy mouthfeel with just enough tingle/prickle to zip it up and add a bit of a refreshing quality. this would be one of my desert island beers. awesome. a timeless classic for real. i never get sick of this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%