2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,881 | Reviews: 1,425 | Show All Ratings:
travelfrog

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

I had this on tap at my favorite pizza pub, served in a traditional Belgian ale glass.

Appearance was excellent -- pale gold in color, with a full, creamy head.

Aroma was unremarkable... but I've been suffering from hayfever of late, so I gave the brew the benefit of the doubt.

Flavor was excellent, with a full spectrum of sweet-bitter flavor coming through. Pleasant mandarin orange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was fine -- substantial and creamy with no acidic qualities whatsoever.

The brew was very drinkable. I also noticed some of my colleagues (even those who aren't fond of strong-tasting beer) were ordering a second (and some even a third!) glass.

06-06-2007 00:20:25 | More by travelfrog
jnelson54

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

It came corked in dark green glass. Watch your eyes as the cork pushed its way out as soon as I removed the wire cap. A huge creamy white head. The smell is thich with malt, yeast and spice. Classic belgium beer. The taste is nice with notes of yeast and spice with a slight hint of alchol. Very nice beer for a hot day by the grill.

08-19-2007 00:43:40 | More by jnelson54
mhaws000

Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

A-poured a very thick frothy head. Slowly receeded into a nice thin lace that lasted througout the beer. Nice hazy yellow-orange with some sediment floating around in the glass.

S-A definite citrus nose with alot of grassy hop odors as well.

T-Citrus with alot of banana and spice much like a hefeweizen or a wit. Not as overpowering as some of those can be though. A really nice balance of fruitiness and herbal bitterness.

M-Slightly syrupy with a nice level of carbonation to cut through. substantial enough body to be noticed but still crisp enough to be refreshing.

D-Good drinkability. This is the type of beer I would drink on a hot summer day. It is clean, crisp and has good quality flavors. There isnt really anything I would criticize about this beer at all.

01-02-2008 05:40:43 | More by mhaws000
iNHaze

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

12.7 oz. bottle into a wine glass

Pours a murky wheat color with lots of effervescent carbonation and suspended yeast. Had a good inch of thick, foamy white head, which shrank to about 1/4" and stuck with the glass.

Initial pour had a definite skunky/wild yeasty/bacteria smell that was kind of unpleasant, but that mellowed to a gentler fruity/yeasty aroma.

Taste was slightly soapy(?) at first and malty/wheaty. This was followed up by the quickest hint of bitter hoppy, dandeliony floralness. Don't know what I mean? Go eat a dandelion. I freaked a guy out at work the other day by doing that. Anyway, tinge of floral hoppyness, then a slightly bitter lingering finish. I have to wonder if the green bottles are the best choice?

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp, with a definite carbo zing. The beer is pretty dry, but isn't overly alcoholy by any means.

Drinkability is ok, looking past the imperfections I stated I could see myself maybe killing a 750 of this with a long meal, but for the other similar choices in the belgian realm, I'll probably overlook this one next time I'm at the beer store.

05-05-2009 04:00:25 | More by iNHaze
Twincrasher

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Nice fine head. Very high levels of carbonation

S: Varied banana, lemon, grapefruit, honey, barnyard. Floral and complex notes.

T: Grasses and pear. Very cutting taste with grapefruit notes.

M: Carbonation and light taste. Will pair very well with salad course with citric fruits.

O: Complex and balanced. Not a flavor that is for everyone. If one likes plain beer taste, this will be too different.

11-12-2012 16:14:26 | More by Twincrasher
Eeroomnhoj

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Opened it and could hear the carbonation, very bubbly. Very smooth to drink from start to finish. This is definitely a beer to drink again and again.

The smell was sweet and the first sip was as good as last. I could see drinking this on a hot summer day while hanging out with friends.

06-17-2013 00:09:37 | More by Eeroomnhoj
Prime16

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Off white head - body had the color of a thinned out glass of Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

S: earthy, Belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Bready, yeast, warm spice-pepper.

M: Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Great beer for a warm summer day.

04-22-2011 20:56:35 | More by Prime16
alamere

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a green bottle into my Chimay chalice...

A - Beer pours a huge frothy white head and looks outstanding, is more clear than I recall from previous tastings. Lacing sticks around for awhile and clings to the glass. The last pour did pour a TON of sediment into the glass... but first two were rather perfect.

S - In a word, skunky. I've come to think that they must know when they put this beer in a clear light green bottle that it's going to have a bit of a skunky nose. There really isn't much in the nose of this beer beyond a skunkiness and maybe a touch of honey sweetness. I'm not as put off by a slight skunk to the smell as some... better not be any in the actual taste though!

T - as I suspected/hoped, the taste is herbal and earthy with a honey or apple like sweetness and none of the skunk of the nose in the actual taste of the beer. There is a sweetness but also a lingering tartness to the taste and they balance pretty perfectly. A great session beer in my opinion.. a spiciness and some phenolics from the yeast that are absolutely delightful.

M - Beer starts out fruity and smooth, is REALLY well carbonated, but finishes dry and quickly. The aftertaste that does linger on the palate is fantastic..

O - Well, there's not much to not like here.. minus the skunk in the nose, this is one great saison. Sessionable and probably would go with a ton of food that I like...

07-06-2011 03:44:34 | More by alamere
Troy518

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a belgian style glass from Ommegang. Yeasty, earthy, sour aroma. Creamy mouthfeel with tons of carbonation. I could hardly get this poured before the bubbles started pouring out of the bottle. Taste is smooth with earthy and spicy flavors with a dry malt backbone. Aftertaste is a bit more bitter than Hennepin in my opinion. Will definitely purchase again.

($4.99, 375ml, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY)

06-21-2008 02:46:24 | More by Troy518
BullCityB

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a light amber into my tulip, the head is a big billowing cloud of white. Retention is quite good and it leaves a nice lace.

The aroma is intoxicating. It's odd, my first Saison to be honest. Simultaneously earthy, spicy, and fruity. Almost smells champagne like. Quite delicious once I adjusted.

The flavor opens with a fruitiness not unlike what you find in many pale, yeast-dominated Belgians. Pears and apples, not overly sweet, with a definite earthy spice at the end. The finish is quite dry and slightly bitter, with the only malt flavor being the touch of light grain. It's slightly less intense than I expected, but in the end, this is a 6.5% beer, and it's still quite good.

The mouthfeel is wonderful - nice and fluffy, not heavy in the least. With the refreshing flavor, beautiful mouthfeel, and moderate alcohol, I could get in trouble with this one!

My first Saison, and I'm not disappointed in the least. A delicious beer.

06-22-2008 02:04:30 | More by BullCityB
LevitatedEep

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Has a massive white billowing head, 3/4 glass full. Very thick looking and rusty, lots of small sediment...makes we want to drink it.

Has a bready, yeasty smell. Some citrus..lemon smell. Some would call a funky smell.

A smorgasboard of flavors: bitter and sour upfront. Lots of bready yeast. Unique and intriguing.

Medium mouthfeel and a little oily and bitter.

Overall this is a very interesting brew and the 1st true Saison I have had. I will definately try it again.

07-19-2009 04:22:56 | More by LevitatedEep
BreworFerment

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy golden yellow out of the bottle with a big foamy white head that has has great retention. The aroma is complex with some fruity herbal smells up front and a little funky backend. There is a slight citrus flavor to the VERY effervescent beer. A little lemon and some herbs. Very refreshing and drinkable. I could make this a session beer.

01-17-2010 17:56:54 | More by BreworFerment
89Vision

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

As a disclaimer, I haven't had many saisons yet, so I'm not all too familiar with the style. However, with all the type surrounding this beer, I was a little disappointed.

When poured into a glass, the beer is a heavy yellowish orange color, with a pretty damn big head. I wasn't all that impressed with the look of the beer itself, but the head was nice.. thick, and stayed around for a while.

The aroma was fairly mild, though after uncorking the bottle, I caught a whiff, and was intrigued. Vinous, woody, yeast, and a hint of fruit, though I couldn't put my finger on specifics. At first taste, I was a little disappointed though. Reminds me of a hefe than a saison (although as I said earlier, my experience with saisons is limited). A little spiciness, the usual funkiness, a little fruitiness, though I was expect more of a hop profile. Don't get me wrong, I can't really find any real faults with the beer, but I'm having trouble seeing the greatness in it.

08-21-2010 00:55:58 | More by 89Vision
kristenrae8

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

A perfect Friday night treat.
Paired well with Fried Rice and Tofu.

The appearance is golden, heady, sediment present.

Smell: The smell was yeasty - I had some issues popping the cap on this one as it was a tight fitted bottlecap. Poured, this one had a bread smell.

The taste was good, well balanced, a little sour at first but then refreshing.

The mouthfeel was good, not overly carbonated, not too thin or thick for this style.

Overall this was a good beer, I bought it on a whim, - the price point is a little higher than my normal window at $19 for a 4 pack - but overall this was a favorable beer.

12-10-2011 19:28:16 | More by kristenrae8
GoNowhere

Arkansas

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A hazy orange glass with a nice head. Grass and citrus smells with a hint of funk. Taste is awesomely refreshing with a big hit of lemony, grassy hops and a clean dry finish. Mouthfeel is spot on with a light almost airy feel.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the greatest summer beer ever. Period.

01-14-2012 19:00:22 | More by GoNowhere
nkurz129

Washington

This was my second saison, first foreign, and I must say that I am a fan of the style. Pours very similar to a wheat beer with a lot of head, had to be careful of the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The smell was that of fruit and yeast, although whereas a wheat has a very distinct banana or citrus aroma, this was notably grape-like. The taste had little to no malt characteristics to it, and there was an unusual strong (but not overwhelming) level of carbonation. The taste was tart, not bitter, almost champagne-like.

09-12-2006 22:24:52 | More by nkurz129
Kempleton

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from 750ml bottle into an Allagash 40cl stem glass.
Hazy golden color toped by a nice head that stays around a while and leaves some good lacing.
Smells of spices mixed with freash cut hay. slight barnyard aroma but not to pronounced.
Taste is spicy, then malty, yeasty and bready.
This one leaves a little bit of zing behind in your mouth just enought to be pleasant.
I have had this several times on draft and none of them were as memorable or as good as this bottle. The drinkability on both is nice, but I would defintly rather have the bottle.

09-28-2008 18:59:17 | More by Kempleton
BeerMarshall

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Possibly my new favorite lighter colored beer.

A: Golden, cloudy, exuberant carbonation and strong head retention.
S: Starts with a hint of skunkiness, but this aroma quickly gave way.
T: Spicy, slightly peppery.
M: Nice dry finish
O: Excellent beer. I was pleasantly surprised. I heard a lot of hype about this beer and read about it in Farmhouse Brews. I think it lives up to the hype. Expensive, but so is every belgian specialty ale. Definitely will drink again.

06-21-2011 02:43:17 | More by BeerMarshall
ac22rush

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Golden with massive head and typical belgian lacing. Effervescent

Smells of fruit, spiciness but more like peppercorn probably more from the yeast than the hops which give a slight floral noble hop aroma. Very subtle sour/acidity.

Tastes fruity and spicy strong flavor throughout. Hops are there once again with classic noble hop flavors floral, spicy, clean. The first sip is extremely refreshing and relaxing. The mouthfeel is light to medium with champagne like carbonation early and it mellows out and becomes quite smooth.

What else can be said? Saison Dupont is a benchmark saison brewed to perfection. I love this beer perfect if you've never tried a saison and perfect for a hot summer day. Cheers!

02-05-2014 04:44:59 | More by ac22rush
pgfault

1.1/5  rDev -73.7%

750ml green bottle was skunked. While most will hang this on the retailer, Specs in this case, there's absolutely no excuse for brewers to use green glass!!

Naturally, the appearance wasn't affected by the light exposure, but everything else was. Upon first opening, I could tell the beer was bad. There are hints that there was something good in there at one point, but not any more. I finished a half pint and dumped the rest.

Never again!!

04-20-2014 02:14:31 | More by pgfault
honkey

Alabama

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

From 750 mL bottle into a Saison Dupont tumbler courtesy of Vanberg & Dewulf

Appearance: golden straw color, with HUGE white head. Naturally cloudy. Can't get over how awesome this head is.

Smell: earthy smell. Touch of hops with a slight funkiness.

Taste: Yes please! Nice funkiness from the yeast really compliments the touch of hops flavor. Bitter aftertaste. Much better than the skunked bottle I had a few weeks ago.

Mouthfeel: light with high carbonation

Drinkability: could easily drink this 750 mL by myself. I am sharing with a friend however... I should have been greedy!

10-04-2010 21:09:23 | More by honkey
paulys55

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Cork popped and the bubbly rose as this treat entered my wine glass. Cloudy yellow body with a tall lively head. Crisp, dry citrus and spicy fruits with a little puckering effect on the mouth. If I was disappointed that the pub was out of the Fantome I had ordered, that disappointment quickly faded as I took my first sip of this very drinkable and quite affordable brew.

12-03-2010 15:56:26 | More by paulys55
drumline

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a hazy amber, with a quickly dissipating head.

S: Bready and earthy yeast, pear, orange peel.

T/M: Nice creamy mouthfeel, with a medium to active carbonation. Taste mirrors a lot of the smell. Bready and earthy yeast flavors, pears and various citrus flavors...pepper. Nice dry hoppy finish.

Drinkability: Fantastic. I can finish off a 750ml bottle very easily, and enjoy every bit of it. The relatively low alcohol makes this a good (although expensive) session brew.

Amazing.

02-06-2007 01:04:30 | More by drumline
femmebiere

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

It is a sturdy beer with a definite taste that you do not have to guess on. It smells and tastes quite bitter, but if you take the time to enjoy it you will. However, if bitterness is not your thing, then this may be too much bite. It had a great gold color with a thick and foamy head and a noticeable amount of sediment in the bottom of the glass. The taste is similar to a strong hefeweizen.

02-27-2011 05:21:23 | More by femmebiere
mptorpey

Delaware

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A:Light straw yellow wit a small white head that clings to the glass.

S: Some floral notes with a bit of grass and honey.

T: A very colplex beer with lots of spice and floral parts. Finish is long and a bit sweet.

M: Full bodied

O: A very complex beer that every sip can impart different tastes as it warms. Finish is long and has a bit of grasseness to it. Great spring time beer

04-20-2012 04:46:59 | More by mptorpey