Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

I had this on tap at my favorite pizza pub, served in a traditional Belgian ale glass.

Appearance was excellent -- pale gold in color, with a full, creamy head.

Aroma was unremarkable... but I've been suffering from hayfever of late, so I gave the brew the benefit of the doubt.

Flavor was excellent, with a full spectrum of sweet-bitter flavor coming through. Pleasant mandarin orange aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was fine -- substantial and creamy with no acidic qualities whatsoever.

The brew was very drinkable. I also noticed some of my colleagues (even those who aren't fond of strong-tasting beer) were ordering a second (and some even a third!) glass.

travelfrog, Jun 06, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

12.7 oz. bottle into a wine glass

Pours a murky wheat color with lots of effervescent carbonation and suspended yeast. Had a good inch of thick, foamy white head, which shrank to about 1/4" and stuck with the glass.

Initial pour had a definite skunky/wild yeasty/bacteria smell that was kind of unpleasant, but that mellowed to a gentler fruity/yeasty aroma.

Taste was slightly soapy(?) at first and malty/wheaty. This was followed up by the quickest hint of bitter hoppy, dandeliony floralness. Don't know what I mean? Go eat a dandelion. I freaked a guy out at work the other day by doing that. Anyway, tinge of floral hoppyness, then a slightly bitter lingering finish. I have to wonder if the green bottles are the best choice?

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp, with a definite carbo zing. The beer is pretty dry, but isn't overly alcoholy by any means.

Drinkability is ok, looking past the imperfections I stated I could see myself maybe killing a 750 of this with a long meal, but for the other similar choices in the belgian realm, I'll probably overlook this one next time I'm at the beer store.

iNHaze, May 05, 2009

Neog, Apr 27, 2012

konigstiger, Aug 20, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A hazy orange glass with a nice head. Grass and citrus smells with a hint of funk. Taste is awesomely refreshing with a big hit of lemony, grassy hops and a clean dry finish. Mouthfeel is spot on with a light almost airy feel.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the greatest summer beer ever. Period.

GoNowhere, Jan 14, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Off white head - body had the color of a thinned out glass of Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.

S: earthy, Belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Bready, yeast, warm spice-pepper.

M: Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

O: Great beer for a warm summer day.

Prime16, Apr 22, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a green bottle into my Chimay chalice...

A - Beer pours a huge frothy white head and looks outstanding, is more clear than I recall from previous tastings. Lacing sticks around for awhile and clings to the glass. The last pour did pour a TON of sediment into the glass... but first two were rather perfect.

S - In a word, skunky. I've come to think that they must know when they put this beer in a clear light green bottle that it's going to have a bit of a skunky nose. There really isn't much in the nose of this beer beyond a skunkiness and maybe a touch of honey sweetness. I'm not as put off by a slight skunk to the smell as some... better not be any in the actual taste though!

T - as I suspected/hoped, the taste is herbal and earthy with a honey or apple like sweetness and none of the skunk of the nose in the actual taste of the beer. There is a sweetness but also a lingering tartness to the taste and they balance pretty perfectly. A great session beer in my opinion.. a spiciness and some phenolics from the yeast that are absolutely delightful.

M - Beer starts out fruity and smooth, is REALLY well carbonated, but finishes dry and quickly. The aftertaste that does linger on the palate is fantastic..

O - Well, there's not much to not like here.. minus the skunk in the nose, this is one great saison. Sessionable and probably would go with a ton of food that I like...

alamere, Jul 06, 2011

Nonebiz, Nov 24, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Bcritell45, Jul 30, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a light amber into my tulip, the head is a big billowing cloud of white. Retention is quite good and it leaves a nice lace.

The aroma is intoxicating. It's odd, my first Saison to be honest. Simultaneously earthy, spicy, and fruity. Almost smells champagne like. Quite delicious once I adjusted.

The flavor opens with a fruitiness not unlike what you find in many pale, yeast-dominated Belgians. Pears and apples, not overly sweet, with a definite earthy spice at the end. The finish is quite dry and slightly bitter, with the only malt flavor being the touch of light grain. It's slightly less intense than I expected, but in the end, this is a 6.5% beer, and it's still quite good.

The mouthfeel is wonderful - nice and fluffy, not heavy in the least. With the refreshing flavor, beautiful mouthfeel, and moderate alcohol, I could get in trouble with this one!

My first Saison, and I'm not disappointed in the least. A delicious beer.

BullCityB, Jun 22, 2008

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

As a disclaimer, I haven't had many saisons yet, so I'm not all too familiar with the style. However, with all the type surrounding this beer, I was a little disappointed.

When poured into a glass, the beer is a heavy yellowish orange color, with a pretty damn big head. I wasn't all that impressed with the look of the beer itself, but the head was nice.. thick, and stayed around for a while.

The aroma was fairly mild, though after uncorking the bottle, I caught a whiff, and was intrigued. Vinous, woody, yeast, and a hint of fruit, though I couldn't put my finger on specifics. At first taste, I was a little disappointed though. Reminds me of a hefe than a saison (although as I said earlier, my experience with saisons is limited). A little spiciness, the usual funkiness, a little fruitiness, though I was expect more of a hop profile. Don't get me wrong, I can't really find any real faults with the beer, but I'm having trouble seeing the greatness in it.

89Vision, Aug 21, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Has a massive white billowing head, 3/4 glass full. Very thick looking and rusty, lots of small sediment...makes we want to drink it.

Has a bready, yeasty smell. Some citrus..lemon smell. Some would call a funky smell.

A smorgasboard of flavors: bitter and sour upfront. Lots of bready yeast. Unique and intriguing.

Medium mouthfeel and a little oily and bitter.

Overall this is a very interesting brew and the 1st true Saison I have had. I will definately try it again.

LevitatedEep, Jul 19, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy golden yellow out of the bottle with a big foamy white head that has has great retention. The aroma is complex with some fruity herbal smells up front and a little funky backend. There is a slight citrus flavor to the VERY effervescent beer. A little lemon and some herbs. Very refreshing and drinkable. I could make this a session beer.

BreworFerment, Jan 17, 2010