1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros

Dunes, Feb 12, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

ChiCityLo, Apr 04, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance - Hazy and pale golden color. Huge white head that sticks around as you drink.

Smell - Fruit, citrus and otherwise, spice, and earthy tones that give it a particularly refreshing smell.

Taste/Mouthfeel - The spices certainly come through, along with belgian yeast and a really nice balance between the hops and malt. Mouthfeel is really crisp, dry, and clean. Definitely lighter bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - On a hot day or otherwise drinking a 750ml of this is not hard. Definitely like it as a beer to transition from summer to fall.

While not as funky as other saisons this will always be up there for me as it was the first saison I ever tried (I can't believe I haven't reviewed it until now) and continue to go back to.

RyWill, Sep 03, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a wine glass.

Appearance: A lovely golden orange with a plentiful head.

Smell: Nice fruity esters in keeping with the style. A beautiful smelling beer, much like that of a white wine,perhaps a Liebfraumilch

Taste: Starts very fruity and ends quite dry. It is easy to see why the Saison style is equated with summer. During summer evening out on the deck, this beer would be quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, clean, light.

Drinkability: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer. I, for one, am glad that the Saison is experiencing a revival.

tjinohio, Mar 20, 2010

jameyclay, May 18, 2012

movingglass, Mar 15, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

A straw colored hazy yellow, a bit cloudy. Thick white head that never dissipates past a quarter finger head that clings to the glass in sheets that slide slowly back into the beer

The smell is a grassy funk, not the farm but definitely out in the country, a pastural lemon scent. The smell pours out of the bottle after the cork is pulled and fills the room, literally.

A good astringent citrus. I get a hint of spicyness. The alcohol is not there, it could pass for a juice.

The mouth is a sticky wet bit oh happiness, the carbonation is high and it takes a bit away for me.

Overall the taste left me wanting more. The smell set the stage for something spectacular and it just wasn't all there, it was very good but I smelled something great. my beagle came trotting out of the other room looking for where the smell was coming from. I could open this and just smell it . I'll be buying some more and let it set for a while.

levon15, Apr 21, 2012

Zachberg, Jul 25, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

KVH, Aug 19, 2014
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

I’d love this farmhouse ale on appearances alone! On popping the champagne cork you get a blast of earthy, hoppy, spicy aromas. It pours our with a beautiful head that looks like meringue. This thick white cloud lasts through the entire drink. The aromas and tastes remind me of black pepper and a fresh plowed field. The color is a deep yellow/orange and has bits of yeast suspended throughout. The flavor starts sweet from the malt and then finishes dry from the hops. It is both refreshing and complex. I call this my “picnic beer.” It compliments almost any dish of food. I did have one once with a tomato soup that didn’t really do anything for me but have it with a ham and strong swiss cheese sandwich! I consider myself a Scottish Ale man but if pressed, I might say that this is the beer I’d pick if I could only have one for the rest of my beer drinking days.

Silenus, Oct 20, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet from a bomber.

Fine head, starts off large and reduces to a constant centimeter or so which stays consistent throughout the beer. The beer itself is a lovely cloudy golden color which I expect from the style and is a fine color.

The smell is fantastic. It simply envokes the feeling a farmhouse ale. A dank musty scent with earthy undertones, this is one of the beers that I feel transcends the style.

The taste is equally impressive. I can't place a malt or hop taste specifically, it blends together so nicely. Again an earthy, dank taste. Not any detectable spices, this is a pure Saison. A bit of pepper on the after taste, but nothing like that of Fantome's Printemps which I feel is the ultimate peppery saison.

The mouthfeel is great, a light carbonated fell which just asks to be swished around a bit before consuming. A bit on the watery side, but the carbonation makes up for it, and a little watery is expected for the style.

I could drink this beer all night. It's low ABV, wonderful flavor and scents, and great mouthfeel make this a worthwhile indulgence.

A superb example of the style. This is one of those beers that goes beyond being a tasty beverage and can transport you to the farmhouses of belgium. A great treat to drink in the backyard on a starry summer night, I would recommend as a must try to anyone who is a fan of the style.

masterkush, Jun 06, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -11%

Saison, one of my least favorite styles from Belgium. Still, Saison duPont on the shelf and I'd never had it before so I'll give it a shot.

Pours a honey gold with a marshmallowy, meringue-like head of cream. Nice lacing as it trails down the glass.

spicey with subtle citrus, the yeast charcter is present but not overly prominent. The beer is a little too cold to be sure at this point.

Very crisp, very clean taste. Again, sbutle yeast character. I little tart, almost sour? Not sure if its acid I taste or if its the play off the high degree of carbonation...speaking of which...

this beer is highly carbonated and spunky in the glass. It is very light bodied but not watery. As the hallmark saison, this is the body against which all others should be measured.

Very nice overall. Again, not my fav. style, but given the givens....

calsbeek, Mar 09, 2008

mattb777, Apr 01, 2014
4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

MikeAsRx, Sep 06, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

The "Chob"(Michelob) the champagne of beers??? I think not. Pouring this beer into into a small snifter it can barely be contained. Immediately there is a large effervescent head that monopolizes at least half my glass until I find the right pour-to-head ratio so i don't get beer all over my rug. The original aroma has that same metallic smell that all beers in a green bottle have to me; but when the aggressive, tightly laced head finally calms you get the flavors that are under it. That fruity/yeasty/funky Belgium scent that you would expect. But drinking it is a different story. Honestly, i can say this beer is balanced. The hop flavor is low but the bite you might be looking for is supported by it's effervescence. It gives way to a malty finish that makes itself known to your taste buds but fades to a dry finish, and this beer is incredibly dry. And drinkability??? Well let me just tell you that I, sir, am drunk. This single bottle is so deceptively drinkable that during the course of this review it has hijacked my brain because i have drinking it like soda. WOW. Those damn Belgians just pulled out a bottle, no pun intended, of whoop-ass on me. Damn my wife is going to be pissed when she comes home. Oh well. This brings me in an ass-backwards kind of way to my next point; which too me scores the highest of honors for beer... Every dang sip tastes the same, and as FRESH as the first. I find this rare in a beer and worth mentioning. Man thank God I have spell check or anyone reading this review would be in a world of hurt right now. Anyway... DO GET THIS BEER. Your most crazy, hoppy, flavorful beer? No. In a class of it's own for being both simple and amazing? Yes. My God, Yes.

StoutSlayer, Nov 20, 2008