Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Erish

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

I poured this 750 ml bottle into a Chimay chalice. No freshness dating.

A: murky honey gold color, pours a thick head that falls into a thick, persitant cap with good lacing.

S: sulfur, citrus, moderate level of Belgian funk, clove, spice, cracker-like malt.

T: tart apples, citrus, and spicy phenols up front, the middle is more earthy, with grain husk and sour funkiness, the finish is dry, peppery, and grassy/herbal hops.

M: light-bodied, silky to watery texture, abundant carbonation.

O: this is pretty much what I think of when I think of a saison. Delicious.

05-22-2011 22:05:03 | More by Erish
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Saison Dupont
750ml bottle served in a Tripel Karmeliet tulip

A: Orange cloudy color. Huge white and foamy persistent finger white head. Really impressive. Reminds Duvel. Long retention and many lacings. Many remains in the bottom of the bottle

S: Impressive smell. Perfect. Very yeasty and citrus hops too. Spicy. Cereal and bready as well. Again reminded me Duvel

T: Excellent. Spicy. Belgian yeasts are a must here. The citrus grassy hop sting is just amazing... One of the best beers I've ever had

M: Medium body. High carbonation. High drinkability

O: Just perfect Farmhouse. Perfect beer

05-22-2011 10:26:07 | More by eduardolinhalis
gkunkle

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 750 into a tulip glass. Body of the beer is a slightly hazy orange color with a few solids suspended in the beer, some carbonation is visible. After the pour the fluffy head reached to an impressive 1.75 inches. The smell is slightly difficult to describe, I will attribute that to the funk, I do detect notes of lemon and grass. This also smells kind of boozy, but it is something i do not detedt in yhe taste. This is just wonderful to drink on a warm day in the sub, the flavors match the warm weather so well. The beer touches my tongue with a bit of light malty sweetness. As the beer crests my tongue the carbonation lifts it up, letting it crash once more against my palate with a strong taste of lemon that lingers for a bit as well as a bit of spice. The mouthfeel is just as it should be a nice medium body with aggressive carbonation. Overall this is absolutely spectacular, as I have been trying saisons this has been The benchmark against which everything else is compared, and it has fared quite well.

05-20-2011 23:48:58 | More by gkunkle
ehammond1

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Nearly clear golden with a thin white head though it has good and persistent retention, perhaps a touch of haze. Spotted lacing down the glass.

Not quite as aromatic as other incredible saisons, but what's here is very good. There's the sweet lemon, spicy yeast, a touch of funk, some hay and it all comes together very well. I just wish the aroma was a bit stronger. I'm worried I drank this beer too quickly to fully appreciate the aroma and didn't let it quite warm enough...

...because this beer was delicious! What a perfect and memorable combination of enjoyable flavors. This beer is like your favorite childhood blanket, but for your tongue! A bit spicy, a bit funky, a bit sweet, even some bitterness, all incredibly drinkable, finishes perfectly clean; I could literally drink this all day! Saisons needs more love!

The most special part of this beer is its mouthfeel. It needs to be experienced to be explained. It's sweet yet disappearing, it's airy yet satisfying, it's bubbly, yet creamy; incredible!

An absolutely, near perfect, Belgian saison. Seek this one out!

05-19-2011 01:10:42 | More by ehammond1
muletrane

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color. Slightly hazy with 2 fingers of fluffy white head that dissapates quickly but never fully leaves.

S: Very grassy, yeasty and floral. Slightly funky as well. The floral grassy notes dominate.

T: Lots of grassiness up front and slightly spicy, coriander perhaps? Nice belgian yeast notes as well.

M: Crisp, clean and refreshing. Moderate to light body with high carbonation dances on the tongue. Fluffy mouthfeel. Finishes clean.

One of my favorite brews to drink when it gets warmer out. This one is a real treat! A true classic!

05-17-2011 17:59:27 | More by muletrane
hmf05

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

A: A dark straw, cloudy color with a huge pillow white head

S: A nice funky smell with a ton of grass and lemon. Pretty earthy smelling as well with a balanced clove spiciness

T: Nice and crisp. I get some grassiness up front with a pronounced lemon rind flavor. The hops are there throughout, but nothing over the top. A pretty dry finish, but not long or unpleasant

M: Good carbonation with medium viscosity.

D: Extremely drinkable

O: The prototypical Saison. There's nothing unique about it, but it's flavorful, refreshing, and perfect for a hot day in South Florida.

05-15-2011 21:40:39 | More by hmf05
CCalvert

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I will admit that this was my first taste of a saison, and going in I had absolutely zero expectations. With that being said...WOW was/is this stuff GREAT!! I think this will be my go to beer while relaxing in my pool this summer.
A... was wonderful, nice and hazy, with a large creamy head, and excellent lacing.
S...Again wonderful, I cant really describe it, but it smells great.
T...The taste is extremely easy, yet hoppy, with hints of pine, citrus. Very good and drinkable .
M...Felt as good on the palate the first sip as it did on the last.
Overall...
I will be enjoying these quite often during the summer months. I'm a big fan of Strong ales, and this is a great break for me, especially when its warm outside.

05-15-2011 18:43:25 | More by CCalvert
hiku7

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Caveat: This is my first saison.

My wife and I split a 750ml bottle, poured into tulip glasses.
Pours a cloudy yellow to gold with a towering white foamy head that leaves foamy lacing. Pours highly carbonated, almost like champagne.

The dominant aroma is lemon, followed by a slightly phenolic very attractive yeastiness. Taste follows suit, with a lemon and just the right amount of phenolic yeastiness. The highlight of this beer is a spicy, peppery finish. Mild tartness adds a lot to the finish.

Mouthfeel is fizzy, crisp and dry, with a bit of chewy graininess during each mouthful. Overall, very good, very refreshing.

05-14-2011 15:20:45 | More by hiku7
cavemanlawyer

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on tap at the Cascade Saison Fest. Fun event, wish I was able to stay longer to enjoy the variety.

Pours murky, cloudy, and wheaty-looking. Not great, reminds me of a german hefeweizen.

Nose is citrus and dry straw. Smells refreshing and crisp.

Very clean and refreshing on the palate. Light and bubbly, could easily drink several.

Excellent for the style, there is a reason this is considered an archetype.

05-14-2011 13:16:10 | More by cavemanlawyer
inthebeeraisle

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked up a 375ml bottle from Cork in NE PDX @ a reasonable cost. Heard a lot about this beer.

A: The description on the bottle is right. A "rocky" head that is substantial, disipates slowly, & leaves serious lacing. A dark straw color. Not transparent with lots of little bubbles & some yeast sediment left in the bottom of my Birra Moretti wine style glass.

S: An agressive smell that has some funk upfront followed by some floral/grassy smells intermingling with a yeasty nose.

T: A nice dry balanced flavor with citrus notes.

M: Nice carbonation feel on the palate. Not too dense or too full. Easy to put back.

O: I can understand why this beer is looked highly upon. Quite affordable & quite approachable too!

05-13-2011 22:00:37 | More by inthebeeraisle
perrymarcus

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

375 corked and caged bottle served in a snifter.

pours a slightly cloudy golden-yellow tone yielding a massive (3" at least) creamy white head. excellent retention and lacing in abundance. great looking saison.

relatively fragrant nose opens with a waft of skunk, but as others have noted, this seems to dissipate quickly, paving the way for notes of citrus, apple, belgian yeast and some floral/grassy characters in the background.

more of the same in the taste. green apples, citrus, the yeast and floral presence. a touch of spice/pepper. nothing transcendent, but a very nice flavor profile nonetheless.

crisp, medium-light mouthfeel with lively carbonation.

overall, a flavorful, crisp, and refreshing beer. a great summer brew.

05-10-2011 01:24:09 | More by perrymarcus
jgagne

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +11%

A- beautiful looking beer. A Golden slightly murky body with an exceptional robust white head.

S-The strong almost overwhelming smell garners a citrus smell with slight spice undertones.

T- The taste begins with strong spice that grabs your palates attention. Then effortlessly transitions to a sweet citrus flavor.

M-Medium carbonation with light feel to the body.

O-One of my favorite beers. I have had it several times now and it still makes me excited when it is first poured into the glass. A wonderful beer that should be tried by any beer enthusiast

05-09-2011 23:44:17 | More by jgagne
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Another one I picked up in Belgium. Didn't know that I liked Saisons untill recently. I really liked this one. The kids were in bed and I enjoyed this with the Mrs in the hotel room.

Out of a 750ml into a Stella glass (all that we had in the hotel room)

It came out hazy golden yellow. Great two finger head.

Smells of loads of spices, bready yeasty notes, fruits, honey and floral notes.

Splash... a bit of barnyard funk and hop on top of everything the nose promised.

A great medium to full body. Nice amount of carbonation.

If you like Saisons get this one. It refreshing and wonderfully complex. Highly recomended.

05-09-2011 19:44:22 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
ludachris

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Its glowing apricot body with straw yellow highlights spells spring. Just over a finger's worth of fluffy white head is perched on top. Bits of sediment drop to the bottom of the glass and stay there, making themselves visible only when held up to the light.

Right when I popped the cork I got a nose full of skunk but thankfully that doesn't last for long. Now, the more whiffs I take the more fruit I pick up such as sweet Anjou pears and soft tangerines. The Belgian yeast only compliments these sweet notes. Fresh cut grass and hay add density to the nose.

Soft and gentle Anjou and tangerine nestle themselves on the middle of the tongue. Their presence is pleasant but not extended. Fresh grass and hints of hay push the sweetness out of the way and move to the sides of the mouth. The grassy notes continue into the finish and become more pungent and earthy. After exhaling, a cracker-like character is apparent and does well at not letting the grassy character become too assertive. The yeast doesn't play a major part in the taste but provides a nice base from start to finish.

I'm content with calling this light bodied even though it does have a bit more depth. The balance between the grassy/hay side and the fruity/yeasty side is fantastic and I really appreciate this. There's a great level of carbonation; cleaning out the palate and leaving me with an enjoyably dry finish.

From start to finish, this is a wonderful Saison. I'm glad I was able to try such a traditional take on the style. Like nearly every other Saison I've had, it took me some time to appreciate its nuances and complexities and that's pleasurable in itself.

05-08-2011 22:31:25 | More by ludachris
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours hazy pale golden with a massive white head that very slowly dissipates into great lacings.

S: Floral hops with lots of fruity notes; green apple and lemons and other citric fruits. Rich in spices. Smell just like a Saison should.

T: Spices, leather, bread. Lots of pepper and vey rich in floral hops; which gives it a fruityness. Green apples and citric notes.

M: A sour bitterness lingers for quite some time in the aftertaste. Body is mild and carbonation moderate. Smooth!

O: I'm a sucker for Saisons, and this one is quite nice. Very refreshing!

05-07-2011 18:37:23 | More by Evil_Pidde
techtatu

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Nice gold cloudy haze with about a finger and half worth of head. Very aromatic smell, with hints of spice and flowers, a spring kind of aroma. Very fruity in taste with a hint of spice and a zing in the end. The zing in the end makes you want more of this beer.

Something I would personally drink during the spring and maybe early summer. Also something I would suggest for most people who want try different beers.

05-06-2011 17:50:01 | More by techtatu
kevanb

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Really nice appearance from this beer. Poured into a stemless oversized wine glass. HUGE head on this beer, really frothy and bubbly. Nice blonde color, not too much sediment, really nice shine.

S: Smells amazing, really lovely aroma. Fruity, very yeasty with hints of spice and maybe some citrus. I could stick my nose in the glass all day.

T: Good flavor, very good representative of a belgian farmhouse. Lots of yeast flavor, spice and some mild fruit. The back end flavors are also quite nice, doesn't get sour or tangy as I've noticed from other beers of the same style.

M: Feels okay, pretty sharp going down at the end, but overall very smooth, not overly bubbly, but its almost a little too devoid of textures or feelings.

O: I really enjoyed this beer, everything about it was good from the flavor to the price. I would certainly recommend this to someone who is a bit tired of drinking Duvel all the time.

05-06-2011 04:32:11 | More by kevanb
Tripphop

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Light golden color with fine carbonation. Nice lacing, fine bubble trails break after a good swirl. Very attractive and aromatic beer. Smells of grain and lemon zest. Very herbal and earthy, but fresh and citrusy at the same time. Flavor is very nice, upfront and good body and mouthfeel. Carbonation is a bit prickly, but subtle. Citrus fruits and bready malt linger on the finish. Overall a very reliable saison, but for the price range, ill stick with my DIPA's.

05-06-2011 03:13:41 | More by Tripphop
jera1350

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

I have to ding the appearance a few points here due to way too much foam. The body is a cloudy pale yellow and the head is just massive even though I poured this slow as hell. I want to drink it now, but have to wait for the everlasting head to recede a bit. Awesome head and retention halfway through the beer, with lots of sticky lace.

The smell is amazing. Huge robust fruit presence, belgian yeast, a little wet hay and honey malt.

Light malt, touch of honey, fruity, some lightly spicy hops and just a wee bit of wet hay. Not very funky though, which I appreciate. A nice bit of complexity, but very drinkable at the same time.

Light-medium body, soft carbonation, very dry finishing. Smooth overall.

Have to say that I really enjoy this. Probably the best of the style for me. So drinkable and refreshing, but complex at the same time. Definitely will enjoy this again as the weather warms.

05-04-2011 01:33:52 | More by jera1350
DovaliHops

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy, golden straw color with a large white head that takes quite some time before it goes down. Scent is nice farmhouse funk with a bit of skunkiness. There is also a lot of fruit and bread aromas. Taste is just like it smells, except with some pleasant bitterness. The citrus really comes through in the taste with the barnyard funk. Some grainy flavors with a nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel is nice and medium-bodied with a smooth, crisp finish. Drinkability is quite high, especially on a warm summer day. Overall, I absolutely love saisons, however, this is not my absolute favorite. It is up there though in the top 10 or 20.

05-03-2011 07:48:55 | More by DovaliHops
t420o

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Poured carefully still produces a big, frothy head that lasts throughout. Golden, hazy color that has a slight amount of beautiful sediment floating in it.

S- Almost like a Brut Champagne. Fruity and dry. Tart green apple, strawberry, blackberry, grassy, peppery

T- Fruity with a slightly dry finish. Green apple, slight lemon, strawberry, other ripe berries. Malty-yeast balance is excellent

M- light, dry, and airy. Good carbonation level

Overall- I really enjoyed this beer. It isn't often that I like beers this much that taste this light, but the beautiful dry fruity taste was excellent

05-02-2011 17:16:13 | More by t420o
Nerudamann

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into an over-sized wine glass.

Look - pale golden color, murky, with a ton of foam that dissipates and good medium...somewhat fast/somewhat slow speed. Foam itself is very thick and frothy. Lots of sediment floating around.

Smell - spicy and musky-smelling. Reminds me a bit of a good Bavarian lager.

Taste and Mouthfeel - tart at the forefront, sweet in the middle, and a bit bitter in the finish. Every time I smell and taste it, it reminds me of Germany...Bavaria in particular. I'm not sure why. Muskiness and lots of quality to the taste. Texture is well-balanced.

Overall - very interesting and good-tasting brew! This is one of the first times I've actually felt like I was drinking a European brew in the US. Would love to taste this ale fresh!!

04-29-2011 03:12:26 | More by Nerudamann
tewaris

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

750 ml corked and caged bottle poured into three Saison Dupont glasses.

Golden amber and seemingly clear, Dupont pours with an "off-the-hook" Belgian head that took forever to settle and left killer lacing on the glasses. Perfect looks. Upon closer inspection, very fine yeast is seen suspended in the liquid.

The aroma is dominated by hops - herbal notes (Euro hops), spices, and a little funk. Lemony notes upon warmth.

Not nearly as complex as Fantôme in taste, the hops overwhelm this one. Malt-yeast complexity wavers; although some fruity esters, and citrus character that's not from the hops, are felt upon warmth.

Finishes real dry and is always crisp with high carbonation... nice! Very drinkable with moderate alcohol, I quite like this one although I would take Fantôme over it. Any day.

04-28-2011 08:10:46 | More by tewaris
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

A: Vibrant gold, with very slight haze, thick head that is a "dirty" white.

S: Very floral, sharp fruit notes, burst of lemon, some funky yeast.

T: Bready, but light, odd combination. Fresh lemon and herbs. Peppery and piney bitterness. Crisp, not overly fruity.

M: Decent carbonation, but maybe a touch too much. Rather thin.

O/D: It's tasty and "a classic," but better things have been done with the style. Maybe it's different out of a bottle.

04-27-2011 20:01:25 | More by mostpoetsdo
brewdenver

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap poured into a tulip.

A: Light golden yellow, strong fingers and lacing. Good head retention.

S: Fruity, earthy, pleasant aroma.

T: Various fruits and spices. Earthy middle with a semi dry finish. Every taste was better than the first.

M: Perfect carbonation off the tap. Medium bodied, pleasant on the tongue and cheeks.

O: A great, great Saison.

04-24-2011 17:34:08 | More by brewdenver