Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Can't believe that I have never reviewed this beer...

From a 750ml bottle.

Deep hazy orange with a voluminous snow white head. Big chunky lace on the glass and lots of sediment settles at the bottom of the glass. Lots of citrus in the nose. Lemon and orange rind, some understated coriander.

Body is thinner than I expected. Bitterness present throughout, a sweet spiciness but muted from when fresh. Some lemony and orange rind citrus. Lightly earthy and yeasty. Crisp mouthfeel. Sweet spice in the finish.

A favorite.

ViveLaChouffe, Nov 26, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

I'm not very experienced in the Farmhouse Ale category, but this one came recommended so I gave it a shot.
Mine poured a cloudy yellowish haze, with a very thick head that took a decent period of time to disapate and left a fairly thick residue.
This beer has a crisp fruity taste with a decent bite to it. Also a rich fruity musty bouquet is present.
Like I've said I havent experienced many saison brews although this one doesn't make me jump for joy to go grab another. It was worth a try atleast once.

BEERANDNOW, Nov 26, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a pale golden with a great big fluffy head. Probably an over-vigorous pour. Very good retention. Lots of herbs on the nose and palate. Also a dry graininess presents itself. Good bitter crispness is evident and lots or carbonation. For some undescibable reason I prefer the organic version. I just find it more drinkable. Der!

Macca, Nov 25, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Very active pour, hazy straw colored, topped by a huge white meringue head. Some suspended yeast floating in there. I don't mind.

Aroma is of strong yeast, with a tart lemon undercurrent.

Taste seems subdued at first. A bit sour. As I let it warm a little, I start to pick up some pepper spiciness. I'm not sure if Saisons are brewed with wheat, but I believe I'm picking up some here. The sourness is a bit stronger as my glass becomes empty. Other fruit flavors are beginning to introduce themselves. Some apple and green grapes. Almost a lactic tang in there as well.

Mouthfeel is good, slightly thin, highly carbonated, and extremely thirst quenching.

Drinkability is high for me, and I can see myself enjoying this immensely once it gets warm out again. This is what I think of when BA's ask what would be a good lawnmower beer. I would like to try and pair this up with some food at some point, as I've heard it can really shine.

dancinwillie, Nov 25, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

The "Chob"(Michelob) the champagne of beers??? I think not. Pouring this beer into into a small snifter it can barely be contained. Immediately there is a large effervescent head that monopolizes at least half my glass until I find the right pour-to-head ratio so i don't get beer all over my rug. The original aroma has that same metallic smell that all beers in a green bottle have to me; but when the aggressive, tightly laced head finally calms you get the flavors that are under it. That fruity/yeasty/funky Belgium scent that you would expect. But drinking it is a different story. Honestly, i can say this beer is balanced. The hop flavor is low but the bite you might be looking for is supported by it's effervescence. It gives way to a malty finish that makes itself known to your taste buds but fades to a dry finish, and this beer is incredibly dry. And drinkability??? Well let me just tell you that I, sir, am drunk. This single bottle is so deceptively drinkable that during the course of this review it has hijacked my brain because i have drinking it like soda. WOW. Those damn Belgians just pulled out a bottle, no pun intended, of whoop-ass on me. Damn my wife is going to be pissed when she comes home. Oh well. This brings me in an ass-backwards kind of way to my next point; which too me scores the highest of honors for beer... Every dang sip tastes the same, and as FRESH as the first. I find this rare in a beer and worth mentioning. Man thank God I have spell check or anyone reading this review would be in a world of hurt right now. Anyway... DO GET THIS BEER. Your most crazy, hoppy, flavorful beer? No. In a class of it's own for being both simple and amazing? Yes. My God, Yes.

StoutSlayer, Nov 20, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Poured out a cloudy, straw-yellow color with a small, foamy, bubbly, off-white head that left soapy residue on the sides of the glass.

S - It smelled of yeast, clove, dried fruits. and a horse blanket mustiness.

T - Taste was sour and yeasty. There was an odd ham taste or some other cured meat (I guess it is a farmhouse ale).

M - It was crisp, sharp and fizzy with a good bite. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was a little disappointing. It didn't live up to the hype, in terms of flavor. It was just a little odd.

zeff80, Nov 19, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Color is yellow-gold. Very nice looking with a LOT of effervescence... almost like champagne.

The head is very thick and dense. I like it.

Smell mostly of pine above anything else. I could say that I only smell that! Not a bad smell, actually pretty good.

The taste is mostly fruity with yeast. Not much hoppiness in the taste. Belgian!

Mouthfeel is almost like champagne due to the high effervescence! The finish is dry.

Drinkability is good. Very refreshing... would drink that mainly during hot day!

ZorPrime, Nov 17, 2008

375 ml bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a cloudy yellow/gold color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The aroma smells like tropical fruit, cloves, earth and some Belgian funk. The taste is similar to the aroma, with the addition of some spicy hops, citrus, and bready malt. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium. It's crisp, has good carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is good too, it's enjoyable to drink and I could have a few of these in a session with no problem. Overall I think this is a good overall saison, I'd definitely buy this again in the future. Recommended.

bluejacket74, Nov 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml bottle, year 2007. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a slightly cloudy blonde with thick foamy, bubbly head that lingers for quite a while. The first thing I smell is the spice, then the fruit comes through. I also get a hint of cloves in there. It's a complex aroma. Feels a bit bubbly in the mouth, medium bodied and goes down easy. It's got a tart taste, as well as spicy (peppers?) with some bitterness. Seems pretty dry, too. It's a well balanced flavor. Drinks real easy and is quite enjoyable.

mtbbaboon, Nov 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Saison Dupont was decanted into an Ommegang goblet, and came out a slightly hazy gold color, with a lovely pillow like white head. Smell has citrus fruit such as lemons and oranges, hints of earth and soil, and a mild bit of funk. Taste has more earthy funk, some cheese ash bitterness, grapefruit, more spicy pepper, overall very complex flavors. Mouthfeel starts off with a heavy carbonation that starts off rather sweet, and changes course to leave the palate on a dry and bitter note. Good drinking with this beer; I could go through a bottle very easily. This is a great conversation piece of a beer, and amongst the best for the style. Went well with some lamb tips. Cheers

jamie2dope, Nov 08, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

33o mL bottle

Pours a very clear slightly orange golden color with a little bit of sediment from an inattentive pour (my own fault) with almost 2 fingers of rocky white head that never seems to fade. Aroma is complex, lots of citrus fruits, a bit of floral hoppiness, and a bit of spice. Taste is like the aroma, ctirus fruits, spicy hops, lightly tart, dry. The fruits are dominate and more more complex and layered than my simple description of citrus can encompass. Mouthfeel is good, light body, high+ carbonation and a dry finish only subtle hints of alcohol. Drinkability is quite good, very complex and intriguing. After each sip I cannot wait for the next. The bottle is gone far too quickly. Next time I'll buy a bigger bottle.

mnj21655, Oct 31, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color with tons of carbonation. Carbonation feeds a tall, soapy, sticky, white head. After a minute or so, head has consolidated to something a little more creamy, but retains a steady 1-finger height throughout entire sesh. THICK, web-like lacing.

Smell: Sour yeast, bready malts, some orange peel and apple, and some alcoholic dryness (reminds me of gin) in the finish.

Taste: Bready malts and some mild sourness. Yeast gives it an apple cider-like flavor. Citrus and spices in there as well. Overall, taste is very subtle. A very pleasant, and very dry, draws me back for more.

Mouthfeel: Talk about creamy - Damn! That is one fine head! Carbonation not nearly as high as anticipated. Light-medium body and very clean/crisp.

Drinkability: So, I don't drink saisons much, but this is a style I could see myself getting into. I really like the dry finish and subtle flavors. Mouthfeel is fantastic. This would make a great session beer.

Note: So I tried to avoid getting the yeast from the bottom of the bottle into my cup, but I got greedy and spilled just a bit in there. I'm not really sure how I'm 'supposed' to enjoy this beer (yeast or not), so if somebody knows please BM me.

ThreeWiseMen, Oct 27, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear golden color, with a hint of amber. Copious carbonation visible throughout. Head is a dense, small-celled foam that swarms out of the pour vigorously, and stays for ages, fading to a mottled cap. Lacing is thick and impressive.

Smell is of sour apples, lemongrass, toffee and a hint of sourdough.

Taste is pepper, toffee, plums, and a dry (and very slightly sour) finish. Carbonated but unobtrusively so.

A bottle is more than enough for me, don't know that I'd session this, but it's definitely an interesting and pleasing beer.

waldowin, Oct 22, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A = Slightly hazy golden yellow with very light orange tint, big foamy, sculptured bone white head, great lacing. Appetizing looking brew.

S = Bananas, ripe tropical fruits, freshly grated white peppercorns, wet and slightly rotting hay, lots of complex odors.

T = Hay with bitter earthy tones, slight peppery or spicey notes but mostly an earthy, pungent bitter quality.

M = Unfortunately I felt the mouthfeel was just a little thin,very good mouthcoating though for all that.

D = This is one worth coming back to again.

Traquairlover, Oct 21, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours out a hazy bright orange with a foamy white head.

Smell. Lightly spiced, but also has a distinct tartness to it that is present but not by an means overwhelming. In bigger whiffs i get a little sweetness that kinda reminds me of a marshmallow.

Taste. The spice and tartness comes through in the flavor, but nothing is overpowering. I would saw that tartness flavor is on the dominant side though. Does not have much of a sweetness to it. The flavor seems delicate and malts remind me a little of a lager flavor. Aftertaste remains with the tart flavor.

Mouthfeel. Body is crisp, but the alc seems to give it a good and medium mouthfeel. Good amount of carbonation and nice balance.

Overall, a nice saison. I have been wanting to try it for so long, and i think my expectation for it was too high as it didnt meet it. I certainly do like it, and think its a good saison, but i think there are some out there that i tend to favor more.

acrawf6, Oct 19, 2008

Cloudy golden hue with an off white head. Very active carbonation, almost sparkling.

Lot's of earthy notes, almost like smelling sand and grain. Lot's of spicy qualities.

Lot's of fruity dryness through the whole beer. The spice is subtle, but definently there. Not as in-depth as some other Saison's, but definently very well balanced.

Light, with lots of sparkly carbonation. This is another great Saison for hotter nights in Australia.

Lukie, Oct 16, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

BB 11/2010

a)Strongly effervescent, supporting a white, persistent, fluffy head. Hazy, yellow/pale orange, with a slight blush. Close to perfect.

s) On opening, caught a typical, Euro hop&malt whiff...fleeting, as if these volatile notes wanted to have no part of the rest of it. Candy, spices (clove, cinnamon, musk), stale(?) hop. Warms to green apple, candle wax perfume.

f) Tastes like a light triple, initially. Low acidity, if any, herbal/tobacco note. Juniper berry, pine. Long, lingering bitterness.

m) Slight astringency; light. Hint of alcohol warmth. Swells large in the mouth.

d) Complex & angular. Not for quaffing, but for savouring modestly.

vancurly, Oct 15, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle

A: Heavy Foam, golden color with lots of carbination. Lots of foamy lacing.

S: Earthy tones with a hint of clove.

T: Bitter, fruity with a lingering detergent taste

M: Crisp

D: Can't get past the detergent taste. Doesn't seem right for the style. maybe a bad batch? Will have to try it again someday.

beerfairy, Oct 15, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured a cloudy straw-gold with a soft pillowy white head that was pesistant leaving a nice light film lacing.

S: very fruity, with spicy citrus, sour oranges, lemons and a nice tart musky scent. The initial flavor was much the same with some spiciness, sour oranges, lemons. There was some sour fruitiness and a tangy spicing as well. The beer finished with dry and tart with some lemon grinds and a light floral hopping.

M: fizzy, champagne like, and dry. Fairly crisp, tart, lemony and refreshing.

D: a great drink for the summer time. Easy to consume and like.

beerthulhu, Oct 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

750 ml bottle dated 2007 poured in to a goblet.

hazy, clear golden with a thick white head.

Smell is sweet funk. Some pepper and citrus.

Taste is slightly sour and spicy while still a little funky.

Great tasting, drinking beer that is a complete classic.

aubuc1, Oct 11, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

popped the cork and out came a cloudy, light golden, hazy brew. lots of little particles. nice head, but not overly foamy. good retention and leaves a little lace.

smells similar to hoegarden and paulaner hefe. is there coriander in this stuff? maybe some other things going on in the background, a bit of hay and husk.

not much flavor up front, some mellow hay and faint dried apricot. somewhat spicy midpalate ends in a very powdery aspirin bitterness with a hint of lemon. pretty dry.

major carbonation and a pretty light body.

saison dupont is supposed to be sturdy enough to take some aging but refreshing enough to drink as a summer quencher. in my opinion 6.5% is too high an abv for this task, and the aspirin quality is a bit over the top for any season. not bad, but not something that i'd want to drink very often. at 7.49 a bottle, i guess that's fortunate.

brewmudgeon, Oct 08, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +1%

I've had this a few times now. On tap at Victoria Gastro Pub (Columbia, Md.)

In a 20oz nonic, oddly, but it worked well for various reasons.

Refreshing, full-bodied and aromatic. I've had a love/hate thing going with Saison DuPont, and its biteyness and just something odd and off-putting in it always struggle with me. It was still there this time, but subdued and the natural aromatics and varied flavors that I love about saisons came through here.

Grassy and just a touch hoppy with sweetness and that great nose, good stuff. When it's cared for properly this is a thrill to drink and I was nearly thrilled this time. Nearly. I certainly didn't recoil as I sometimes do with Saison DuPont.

USCTrojanBrian, Sep 29, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from 750ml bottle into an Allagash 40cl stem glass.
Hazy golden color toped by a nice head that stays around a while and leaves some good lacing.
Smells of spices mixed with freash cut hay. slight barnyard aroma but not to pronounced.
Taste is spicy, then malty, yeasty and bready.
This one leaves a little bit of zing behind in your mouth just enought to be pleasant.
I have had this several times on draft and none of them were as memorable or as good as this bottle. The drinkability on both is nice, but I would defintly rather have the bottle.

Kempleton, Sep 28, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A-Pours a cloudy yellow/brown. Has an excellent head when poured correctly and it will linger for awhile.

S-It has a sweet/sour kind of aroma.

T/M-This is a smooth ale that will be a definite add to my collection. It has no bitterness or aftertaste just perfect.

D-If I could buy a keg I would. Try one you won't be dissapointed.

choyhosoi, Sep 28, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Tapered 375ml green bottle, caged and cork. Cork comes out with a satisfying "thunk", leaving a little wisp of released carbon dioxide.

Cloudy pale straw body, with a deliciously foaming head of rocky white bubbles. Small amounts of tiny bead swelling up the sides of the glass. Looks very tasty.

Wonderful organic skunkiness on the nose - earthy mulch, straw, and a floral note of fresh crushed lemon myrtle. Underlying this is the classic Belgian yeast character, giving a sweet sweaty, tomato kind of smell. Just a wonderful nose, and so different to many other styles of beer. Very pleasant indeed.

Nice entry, slightly sour, with a gritty yeast backbone. Mellows later to a bittersweet floral note, with even a hint of pepper or spice. Finishes very dry, and what with the sour character lingering around the back of your mouth leaves it amazingly refreshing. Mouthfeel is great, a wonderful sparkling effervescence which just plays perfectly with the sour characters on the palate.

What a wonderful drop of beer, surely one of the most drinkable and refreshing brews I've ever tasted. A truly delectable and extremely tasty beer. Wonderful.

lacqueredmouse, Sep 27, 2008