Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Green 750 with nice label. Corks pops off with a little less luster than I like. Only flew about 4 ft before falling. I like to bounce em off the ceiling and around the room.

Appearance – Straw like, cloudy, thick, sticky, lasting, near perfect white head.

Nose – Grain, damp hay, lemon, big Beligian yeasties, earth, and rotten pears. Also rather herby, including thyme.

Taste – Complicated enough to please me. Blends nice amounts of earth, citrus fruits, herbs, grains, damp grasses, chalk, and lots of yeast.

Mouthfeel – Wow. It seems to balance tart, sour, and bitter evenly and doesn’t go overboard on any of them. Crisp front with a smooth finish. Nice.

Drinkability – Supreme. Where did that bottle go?

DaPeculierDane, Dec 12, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Now that I've tried a variety of Saisons and can truly interpret what I'm experiencing, it's time for a re-review.

Pours about three quarters of a huge, fluffy marshmallow head. Beer is cloudier as you get to the bottom of the glass, but rich golden hued either way. Leaves incredible checkered lacing.

Rich, spicy yeast dominates the smell.Coriander is the dominate spice.

Lightly spicy flavor. Yeast characters and a bit of alcohol. Leaves a tingling bitterness way in the back of the throat.

This is a very fine beer, and is everything a saison should be. Hugely flavorful, but so indescribably drinkable at the same time.

nortmand, Dec 09, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

This was a green 750ml bomber of 2005 Saison Dupont.

It's appearance was really nice. Translucent amber with a nice rocky head that laced the glass. The smell was for lack of a better way to put it 'Belgian'. Very earthy smelling to me.

The taste was interesting. Lemon, some phenols, and a bitter taste of hops in the aftertaste. Very complex, and it tastes different as it warms to room temp, revealing different flavors.

The mouthfeel was crisp and sharp. Although this beer was sampled on a snowy day, I can see the drinkability being exceptional on a hot, summer day.

Probably a the classic saison. I would have it again, and reccomend it to others. For my money though, I'll probably stick to Hennepin more often.

gotbeer, Dec 04, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

The Saison Dupont was a small splurge on my part when I picked it up after work last night, It came in a 750 ml bottle that was corked. The cork was removed with great ease (bouncing off the ceiling..) and upon pouring the bee into a glass, I discovered a beautiful unfiltered yellow amber ale with a very light head of foam. The aroma was a menagery of botanicals and hops with hints of citrus. Overall the taste was a little on the dry side but I found this beer to be an absolute treat. I think would love to drink one of these chilled on a hot summer day.

jekemp, Nov 10, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -1%

This classic Saison poured a brilliant golden color with a daunting foamy, airy white head. The head is huge in stature and holds up for quite some time. Tons of lacing. Looks like a tornado is rising from the top of the liquid. The beer is also somewhat hazy.

Aroma of yeast and bready flavors hit my nose first. Lemon peel and maybe some orange are in there as well. There's a woody earthiness lying underneath along with hints of vanilla.

The flavors in this beer are light yet the whole structure is quite thick. A honey sweetness seems noticeable. Floral and earthy hops are there but quite light. The yeast really stands out with bready flavors and fruity esters. Starts out sweet and finishes with a peppery dryness.

Thick in the mouth yet foamy as well. Light flavors make this easily quaffable yet the mouthfeel and body make this more of a sipper. Very well done. New flavors were coming with each sip. Definitely one of the benchmarks for Saisons.

granger10, Nov 10, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle dated 2004.

This is the second time I have had this beer, but it is my only Saison so I can not compare it to others in this style.

Poured a huge, fluffy head. Very long lasting. Color is an opaque golden straw. Beautiful beer to look at.

The aroma is fruity/spicy. Light yeast. The taste is interesting and hard to pin down. Seem to evolve as I was drinking it. Very gentle with no overpowering hops. Some fruitiness and wheat, and a light sweetness in the background.

Quite pleasant in the mouth. Rather creamy and slightly dry. This reminded me of other Belgian ales I've drunk, but "friendlier." The lower alcohol content and softer taste makes it very versatile with food and quite drinkable. I would defnitely have this again [if I hadn't just drunk my two bottles from my last trip to the mainland!].

atigerlife, Nov 06, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

750 ml green bottle, and on tap the previous week. I'm reviewing the on-tap version because it was considerably better.

Formed a nice egg color head and massive carbonation that supported the head endlessly. slight haze and straw to golden in color.

Some light fruits in the aroma. Grounded by a hop presence that combined gives it a gritty smell. Little skunk presence but as it warmed its non-existent.

Rather spicy and grassy in the initial taste, dry, some grain balanced with some hop bitter middle. Not much malt to speak of but its in the background trying to get out. Finishes dry.

Notes: It's a decent offering. Not one I'll seek out. Price per quality ratio is lacking.

DogFood11, Nov 04, 2005

Straight 4s. Definitely a very good beer, but it just didn't tip the scales to outstanding.

I think this is what Ommegang was shooting for with Hennepin, as i'd had Hennepin on multiple occasions before ever getting a sip of this, and that's what this reminded me of.

Only this is a bit deeper and more complex than Hennepin. Something sort of woodsy here. Doug nailed it, there's hint of tree bark in here. Lightly spicy.

I prefer saisons with at least a hint of sourness, and this had none. But of course it was still a pleasure to drink last brew day.

Bonhoeffer, Nov 03, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer is never around the area in bottle format so it was pure delight to find it on-tap.

In the proper glassware, this beer actualizes a golden canary with a fluffy dollop of head that lasts, lingers, and leaves great lace rings.

The aroma of this beer is enticingly tart; lemony, filled with crisp hop zest, with a slightly spicy yeast profile.

This beer is a delicious saison: it is amazingly light and zingy on the mouth but also delightfully substantial. The lemon flavors abound in harmony with a peppery spice content...and the lingeringly powerful hop-bite just makes it more drinkable by the end of the glass.

The mouthfeel is almost bitingly carbonated but underneath is a dry, addictively smooth pucker of lemon and lime. Damned drinkable...hope I can find this again sometime.

GreenWBush, Oct 29, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

This poured a nice cloudy light gold with a nice head that settled into a fine layer with good lacing

The smell is all fruit for me...banana and apricot is what I sense.

The taste is very fruity with tones of banana, apricot and a bit of yeasty malty flavour. It's my first Saison and right off the bat, I really LIKE the style! ;^)

Highly recommended.

Bitterbill, Oct 28, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

This Saison arrived a brilliant pale and murky The crown was over two fingers and carbonation was extremly active.
The head disapated to a full lace with minor glass cling as the sample continued.
The body is full.
The aroma is bready with a light hop back..(cascades?)
The taste is to the grains,bready, and constant, but not overpowering.

Shiloh, Oct 27, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

I’d love this farmhouse ale on appearances alone! On popping the champagne cork you get a blast of earthy, hoppy, spicy aromas. It pours our with a beautiful head that looks like meringue. This thick white cloud lasts through the entire drink. The aromas and tastes remind me of black pepper and a fresh plowed field. The color is a deep yellow/orange and has bits of yeast suspended throughout. The flavor starts sweet from the malt and then finishes dry from the hops. It is both refreshing and complex. I call this my “picnic beer.” It compliments almost any dish of food. I did have one once with a tomato soup that didn’t really do anything for me but have it with a ham and strong swiss cheese sandwich! I consider myself a Scottish Ale man but if pressed, I might say that this is the beer I’d pick if I could only have one for the rest of my beer drinking days.

Silenus, Oct 20, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Cork dated 2005: This one popped with vigor. Nice inch and a half of head on the clear ( besides a few yeasties), light golden beer. The nose is quite spicy. Some orange peel and fruity, musty yeast are lurking as well. I detect an ever so slight odor of banana.

This is one spicy beer. Maybe I am tasting the hops. As the beer warms, the musty, yeasty, barnyardy funkiness heightens. A brief sour note must be noted.

Mouthfeel is medium, but more coating than I am used to for the style. I would drink this all day in the blistering sun. I just wish this were cheaper.

Sephiroth, Oct 17, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick white head that laces until the finish.

S- Slight hints of sourness in the beginning gave way to some slightly sweet floral notes with a faint spiciness in the finish.

T- This beer has a nice gentle sour note in the that was followed by soft malt and wheat flavors. There was a punch of grapefruit and a faint salty and spicy flavor to the finish.

M- medium light mouthfeel with some fizziness and a faint astringent quality.

D- This beer is a smooth light beer with good complexity. It feels like the same malt bill as American light lagers but with a yeast that adds so much complexity that has a wonderful taste.

rhoadsrage, Oct 13, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

2003 vintage, and my first ever saison. Very carbonated, pours light gold and cloudy. Subtle aromas of yeast, herbs, vanilla, licorice, and toasted marshmallow. An interesting combination of bitter and sour flavors. Clean finishing and dangerously drinkable. The light mouthfeel was quite appropriate to the style. I was impressed.

fisherman34, Oct 12, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Wow, my first review in a long time. This is only my third saison, so I'm not sure If I really understand the style yet, but here it goes.
Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Hapkin glass. Needed all that extra room because it produced a vigorous head. My first thought when I smelled it was, "Wow this is skunked". But maybe that is how it supposed to smell. Another Saison I had smelled the same. Ended up tasting pretty great. Fruity sweetness mixed with corriander and a lingering bitterness. The most enjoyable of the few saisons I've had. Would go great with any dinner that calls for white wine. Definately worth picking up.

poundboy, Oct 11, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance – Pours densely cloudy yellow, yet full of light, with a three finger off-white head supported by the serious carbonation.

Smell – Strong yeast with many medium, deeper fruit aromas and some leafy odors. Complex

Taste – Multifaceted spiciness from the yeast with a dry and mildly bitter finish. Some hops are detectable, but [to my palate] either masked by the significant yeast contribution or seamlessly blended with it.

Mouthfeel – Crisp and full and heavily carbonated as appropriate for the style. Slight puckering effect in my mouth.

Drinkability – Exceptional with a appetizers or even heavier foods. I would submit this is a fine picnic wine.

xoqx, Oct 06, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Openned Oct. 4, 2005. Best before 01/2008.

A: Copper-gold, nice white head, but very little retention. Still makes some nice lace though!

S: Grassy, herbal.

T: Spicy yeast flavour, very dry, sharp bitterness. Tartness is only barely detectable. Very rustic & unrefined. I realize this is part of the style, but it just wasn't harmonious... it's like all the instruments were there, but they were playing off-key.

M: Light body, moderately high carbonation.

D: While it hides the alcohol well, there's a bit of a bite, and I don't find it all that pleasant.

Derek, Oct 04, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

I can see how/why this has been considered the standard for the style.
Purchased at the Beverage Depot in Flushing, NY.
I was a little concerned about the condition this beer would be in because of the green bottle and the relative lack of turnover of imports.. couldnt find a freshness date either.
My concerns melted away with a satisfying *pop*, (2005 boldly written on the cork) a thick creamy white head (which never quite goes away) and that familiar, comforting, farmhouse ale smell... slightly skunky and funky but in that good kind of way.
A good, soft blend of spices... pumpkin bread and carrot cake comes to mind.
The foam on this one is a great deal of fun to play with. It has no problem maintaining a smiley face.
Tart and smooth mouthfeel and deliciously drinkable.
$8.99 for 750mL is a tichy steep for my regular rotation... and Hennepin at $5 or less is similar and tasty in its own way...
yet a revist is schedualed.

ommegangpbr, Oct 01, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer pours a cloudy golden yellow, with a very thick, fluffly white head. The head fades very slowly leaving very thick laces. This beer has a slightly clove like aroma. I detect bananas, and a citrus aroma also. I also smell some lemon. It has a slightly hoppy aroma also. The alcohol is not apparent in the aroma. This beer has a stromg lemon taste to it. It has hints of pepper to it also. I can taste bananas also. The clove flavor is hidden, but if you look for it, you will notice it. This beer finishes dry. I think this beer tastes great. It is crisp and refreshing. It is light bodied and it goes down very smoothly. This beer is carbonated to perfection. It leaves a citrusy aftertaste. I think this beer is very drinkable. I could probably drink about a gallon of this beer by my self. If you ever see this beer, you need to get it. I will definately buy this beer again.

OStrungT, Sep 25, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

My very first Saison. Poured out to a highly carbonated slightly hazy golden color. Major white foamy head would not stay down. Aromas of dough and grain are noted. Taste is uniquely dry and mellow; reminded me of some dry champagnes i've had in the past. Flavors of yeast, grain, burned malts, and some weak malt. Tart finish with some fruity flavors. Definitly different. Unlike anything I would call a belgian pale ale, as many have described this brew. Good mouthfeel is enhanced by the high level of carbonation. This is not an everyday brew; more or less a now and then treat. Mediocre drinkability. I will try some other beers of this style, and see how they compare. Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, Sep 25, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

yellow and hazy with moderate sediment; huge thick rocky white head, kind of fluffy. attractive.
nose is overwhelmingly yeast and citrus, like lemon. refreshing smell.
crisp and refreshing. light to medium body with quick dry finish. lots of yeast. has a bite to it.
this is not my style. I give it credit for quality and craftsmanship and being an interesting beer.

texashammer, Sep 25, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

BB 06-2007. Great presentation with foreverlasting head and a deep golden beer that shows lots of haze.
Nose is very spicy, hoppy, litle aour and alcoholic and good yeastfruit remembering of pears. lots of wheatmalt are well detectable and overal just marvelous. As is taste that's dry, grassy, alcoholic and bitter. Pepper and other spices again well dosed and hard to say witch one's have been used, great dosation altogether. Perfect carbonisation that's high makes it to a perfect mouthfeel and yes this is one of the finest saisonbeers I've tasted so far. Very good drinkable and IMO a must have tried if your into belgium beers.

paterlodie, Sep 21, 2005

750ml bottle, cork sez 2005. Pours a cloudy yellow with tons of foam, which lasts a very long time. Scents of fruits, reminds me of a hefe. Very nice taste with a light body, finishes clean and dry. This would make a very nice session beer, but the price is pretty steep. Really like this one, did not disappoint.

Wasatch, Sep 18, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

After all the recent hype about this beer, I was anxious to give it a try. It isn't widely availabe in my area but I found a 375ml bottle in a store I don't visit too often.

Poured with a huge cloudy white head. Lots and lots of foam! Maybe my glass wasn't perfectly clean(?) but the head seemed extraordinary. Lots of sticky lace, too. Pale yellow color with quite a bit of cloudy haze.

Aroma of yeast, sour citrus, and very little malt or spice.

Simple taste profile; slight hop bitterness with a citrusy tang. Finish with a little residual sweetness.

Very pleasant, drinkable beer but hardly the best I've ever tasted.

joedon, Sep 13, 2005