Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

I picked up a bottle of Brasserie Dupont's Saison Dupont last week for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I have been meaning to try this beer ever since I got into Saisons, but since it's a little expensive I always ended up getting something else, but since I passed up so many time I had to give in and give it a try, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from 11.2oz brown bottle into my Belgian Tulip.

A- The label loos pretty simple and clean, it has a kind of classic look to it. It poured a hazy yellow straw color that took on a darker golden hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking Saison, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by that signature Saison straw and wet hay aroma along with some medium spicy yeast with a little bit of cloves coming through. After that comes the fruits which are some nice tart green apples and little bit of bananas and lemons. towards the end I get some grassy and earthy aromas along with a nice honey aroma. This Saison had a great aroma, it had all the aromas I look for in the style with some extra fruit aromas that I liked.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and some grainy and slightly wheaty aromas followed by an earthy and grassy flavor that had some wet hay aspects to it. Next comes some spicy Belgian yeast with clove sticking out the most followed by some fruits with some pear and lemons coming through. On the finish there was a little more grassy flavors followed by a light amount of bitterness with a little tartness to back it up and a sweet and grassy aftertaste, This is a good tasting Saison, it had all the flavors that I look for in the style and was complex while being fairly balanced.

M- Very smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was very good and right where it should be for the style.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and it was a very good example of the style, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style, everything from the mouthfeel to the taste were just as they should be. This beer had very good drinkability, it was very smooth, with some nice flavors that held my attention, I can see myself drinking a couple of these during the summertime. What I liked the most about this beer was how clean and complex it was, nothing was muddled and there was a good amount going in the aroma and taste. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, I know it's not cheap to import awesome beer from Belgium, but it's a little too pricey for me to buy often, if it was cheaper I could see myself drinking this often in the summertime. I would buy this beer again, but only once in a while, I recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all I enjoyed this beer and it gave me a good idea as to what a traditional Belgium Saison tastes like, it was pretty good but I have had a couple American Saisons that are just about on the same level. I'll have to be on the look out for more beers from this brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

330 ml bottle into the dupont glass, getting the authentic experience on this one!

Appearance- Pours with just a tiny touch of haze, dull gold color, nice chunky head with great lacing.

Smell- lemon, earthy, some spice, and a lot of funk

Taste- grassy, earth, some light citrus notes, some spice, a touch tart, and FUNKY!

Mouthfeel- high carbonation, crisp and light, smooth

Overall- I use this one as my classic saison to compare everything else too. Though everything else seems to fall short of this! Very well balanced, not to sweet up front, not to dry on the finish, yet subtly complex. Great brew.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl