Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Fev3r

Finchum

03-09-2012 02:36:08 | More by Finchum
pgfault

1.1/5  rDev -73.7%

750ml green bottle was skunked. While most will hang this on the retailer, Specs in this case, there's absolutely no excuse for brewers to use green glass!!

Naturally, the appearance wasn't affected by the light exposure, but everything else was. Upon first opening, I could tell the beer was bad. There are hints that there was something good in there at one point, but not any more. I finished a half pint and dumped the rest.

Never again!!

04-20-2014 02:14:31 | More by pgfault
Rifugium

1.23/5  rDev -70.6%

First had: bottle at Monk's, Philly, PA

Lots of people not only like this beer, but they REALLY like it. I don't see why. Maybe I've just had "bad bottles" (green bottles strike again?), I don't really know.

The beer itself looks innocent enough, pouring a nice hazy, bronze-yellow with a healthy puff of head. But it smells like a compost heap. Maybe some lemon notes coming through, but that just makes it smell like compost with lemon on it. It tastes like rotting hay and manure. Seriously like manure. And the aftertaste is of--you guessed it--manure. I've had other farmhouse ales, and they didn't taste like someone added rotted hay and the fecal output of a horse during the brewing process, which is all I really get from this, and there's just no two ways about it. Funk is good, hay is good; I don't mind those qualities in a beer. But not horse crap, seriously. I've tried: I've choked this down on the occasions I've ordered it, but really...not good...quite simply not a good beer. There's no complexity here, and if there is, well, I'm sorry but I just can't detect it within the overbearing manure. I would almost prefer a Bud to this. Sorry. Start bottling it correctly, and then we'll talk higher ratings.

06-10-2011 19:36:59 | More by Rifugium
brandonld23

1.5/5  rDev -64.2%

11-01-2013 00:39:48 | More by brandonld23
aj_tuna

1.55/5  rDev -63%

I bought this with very high expectations. I let it chill for a few days before opening it. When I did open it it was skunked and tasted like an old Heineken which is not what this should taste like. Very disappointed but it was probably stored improperly so I will give another chance but from a different store.

08-06-2014 17:39:46 | More by aj_tuna
instrumentality

1.68/5  rDev -59.9%

This was the first of two beers I tried as part of my sampling of bottled Belgian beers offered by BJ's in Burbank, and it was also my first saison. I commend them on their selection, but this one did not provide a pleasant experience.

Poured into a tulip glass, it revealed a light, golden, transparent hue, bubbly and with minimal head.

The odor was a sort of malty, biscuity, wet hay kind of smell. I got the impression that the term "farmhouse ale" alluded to the fact that the beer shared certain qualities with the inside of a barn.

The mouthfeel was heavy on the carbonation, mildly alcoholic, and left a nasty stale aftertaste.

It tasted malty, biscuity, and musty. I was immediately reminded of when I made the mistake of letting rain-soaked jeans sit folded for several days and then opened them up and took a good whiff.

I only finished this beer because I bought it at a restaurant and wanted to save face and get my money's worth to the best of my ability. I found this brew to be just a step above malt liquor, perhaps somewhere between a Colt 45 and a Rolling Rock. I'm hoping this is just a bad example of the style, but I'm apprehensive to continue my journey through the saison world.

I thought maybe the beer had gone bad, but I talked to the bartender and he said that while some people enjoy it, the overwhelming majority say something to the effect of it tasting like a wet sock. Maybe the whole case went bad...? I feel bad giving a beer that was actually trying to be good such a low rating, and I may try it again elsewhere just to be fair, but it won't be any time soon.

06-26-2006 18:06:25 | More by instrumentality
mccann51

1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

A: light, straw color with a large white head.

S: grassy, skunky aroma.

T: same grassy-skunkiness, but also a bit of astringency; some spice and herbal flavor along with some distinct maltiness.

M: fairly full bodied while having the potential for being refreshing.

O: if somebody didn't tell me what this was, I would figure it a typical, low-level European lager. There is nothing special about this beer to me, and I pick up nothing from the Brett I've heard about in this beer (except maybe the head). Really a huge disappointment, and definitely not worth the 12$ for the 750ml.

04-18-2012 03:28:36 | More by mccann51
diverite

Connecticut

1.73/5  rDev -58.7%

First let me start by saying this beer was a huge disappointment. Purchased in a 750ml style corked green bottle. I was a bit leery about the bottle color and from the pop of the cork, all I could smell was skunk. It was all downhill from there and after sharing a glass with my wife, I drained the remainder if the bottle. I will NEVER buy this again.

Appearance was a very nice, dark yellow with shades of green and chunks of sediment with strong carbonation and cloudy, puffy white head...I love this style.

smell was pure skunk, stronger skunk than Heinekin.

Taste was mostly skunk with malt trying to come through, but not making it.

mouthfeel was full with a dry finish.

Overall this beer was horribly skunked and I have a feeling it has seen too much light in its short life (bottled 2/2011). The skunk has overpowered many of the qualities that are hiding underneath. I can't see spending $10 plus for a bottle of defective beer.

08-29-2012 12:08:28 | More by diverite
Mora2000

1.78/5  rDev -57.5%

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a good amount of skunkyness in it, with some wheat and grain notes mixed in. The flavor is unfortunately the same. This is yet another skunked Saison Dupont. This is the third separate bottle I have purchased in an attempt to rate this beer fairly, but after wasting $25+ on skunked beers, I have come to the conclusion that if the brewer is dumb enough to put a beer in a green bottle, they deserve a horrible rating if the beer is skunked. Other than the skunked notes, there is a little citrus and spice. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, a gross, yet I can’t say unexpected, beer. Shame on me for buying bottles three times.

06-20-2012 04:34:20 | More by Mora2000
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

1.9/5  rDev -54.7%

As best I can determine, I must have gotten a bad bottle because I was far from impressed. Hardly a fan of saisons, I found this to be an awful experience. The first hint of a problem occurred when the aroma smelled like burnt rubber. With the sense of smell and taste being closely associated, this was not a good start. The initial taste was very tart lemon. It was not just lemon juice, it was as though I was chewing on lemon rind. The aftertaste that followed was a gritty Flintstone vitamins lemon taste. Perhaps another way to explain the feeling would be a textured shandy.

Noting the high praise this saison received, I have trouble fathoming such a bad experience. I could not recommend this saison to another person unless of course I had a better experience with a future bottle. However, I would not buy that bottle with my money.

08-21-2011 21:05:47 | More by JohnnyHopps
HimerMan

1.95/5  rDev -53.5%

25oz bottle - Again at the House of Brews, Split with Gaskill during a New York day.

Pour was a pale straw color with a generous head of a fluffy white cloud. The smell was sweet and actually pretty intriguing.

However, the taste left a lot to be desired - it was like a watered down amber ale with random flavors coming though.

Perhaps not my style of beer, but I will have to revisit this and update accordingly.

Not every beer is for everyone.

05-09-2006 02:43:44 | More by HimerMan
buschbeer

I poured into a pint glass. There is very little trouble getting a huge head on this one. I got a giant white fluffy head that hung around for the duration. I'm not sure what is going on with this beer. It smells and tastes like soap. It is a 750ml bottle so I poured in two different glasses and still got this taste and smell. Huge disappointment. I will have to revisit this one. It may have been on the shelf too long. Maybe I just don't like it.

Santé!

07-25-2013 17:24:47 | More by sharpski
trancefishy

Colorado

2.05/5  rDev -51.1%

appearance is a nice light yellow, tons of carbonation, and a giant fluffy head.

aroma is a good yeasty breadiness, some citric and spicy notes as well.

taste is "oh my god what is wrong with this?". at first it's sweet, tasty, belgian goodness. not but a second or two after, there is this sharp, metallic, chalky taste. i'm not talking subtle, i'm talking "did a mouse piss in my beer glass when it was in the cupboard" kind of taste (it's actually clean..). I didn't pour any yeast into the glass. this is really a shame. it almost seems like it would or did taste good at some point.

to continue with the review, the carbonation is too heavy.

well, if i see this again, i will have to get it, because this must just be a bad bottle.

03-01-2005 04:29:49 | More by trancefishy
BeerNutta

Australia

2.1/5  rDev -49.9%

Saison Dupont

A = Poured a hazy straw colour with a thick foam head. Holding it to the light you could see a whole bunch of floaties in the beer.

S = Smell was citric in nature. There was also an underlying grassy smell that eventually overpowered the citric orange smell the longer you keep drinking.

T = A mix and match of flavours. Inital taste of apples, which then gives way to a grassy flavour. There is a slight yeastiness that lingers on your palate and a dry tart finish. Just not my kind of beer.

M = Although there was a massive head. The carbonation was moderate at best.

D = Not impressed. Wouldn't be going back to it in a hurry.

05-14-2006 12:10:46 | More by BeerNutta
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

Drank this beer at Twain's in Decatur, GA. I poured this beer from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - This beer pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a 1/2 " white head atop it. The head lasted for about 1/3 the beer and left moderate lacing.

S - A bit of a sharp hoppy and fruity smell, ranging from lemon to grassy scent.

T - A sharp flavor that has a bit too much bite for my palette. This tastes more like a sharp German Pilsner than the saisons I've had. It wasn't bad, if its flavor wasn't so acidic it would be pleasant. I can barely detect some spices underneath the bite.

M - Moderately carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

D - Cannot say I would try this beer again.

03-17-2006 15:01:45 | More by TheEclecticGent
CharlieMurphy

2.15/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Took literally 15 minutes for the half pint pillow of head to fall below an inch. Poured very light, lighter than light amber, grain-like color

S: Honestly smells like an AAL, growing increasingly disappointed, as I thought this beer would be much heartier

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Like a light champagney Saison vs. Coors light. Still kind of reminds me of Amstel Light. Very subdued funk, champagne, and some lingering tin taste like a canned beer or beer that was cracked and sat out overnight. Maybe this has sat a little past its prime? I doubt it though.

M: Light carbonation, carbon pillow mouthfeel, especially at the beginning. Lacks body, lacks funk.

O: Overall, this was a terrible use of $8. If it was cheaper the overall score would be better. This beer is just nothing special imo, will not get again.

04-01-2011 02:45:18 | More by CharlieMurphy