Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,518 | Hads: 3,812
3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

I'm not very experienced in the Farmhouse Ale category, but this one came recommended so I gave it a shot.
Mine poured a cloudy yellowish haze, with a very thick head that took a decent period of time to disapate and left a fairly thick residue.
This beer has a crisp fruity taste with a decent bite to it. Also a rich fruity musty bouquet is present.
Like I've said I havent experienced many saison brews although this one doesn't make me jump for joy to go grab another. It was worth a try atleast once.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Golden body, dominated by haziness. Massive white head that is really and truly just too much.
Aromas are light clove, some banana, light pepperiness.
Tastes are similar and with big Belgian yeast on the tongue.
In general, I have definitely had better Belgian beers, and with this bottle, have come to realize that i like North American Saisons better.

3.17/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a Gouden Carolus chalice. From notes. Reviewed 30 May 2011.

A: Bright white creamy/craggy head. Brilliant yellow. Carbonation is visible. Light and pleasant; cloudy but translucent. Traces of lace.

S: Lots of grain, maybe corn(?). Not impressed.

T: Sweet, pleasant, grainy, and dry. Honestly, it's less funky than other saisons, but it's sort of boring. Accessible, goodish, and disappointing.

M: Lightly dry...kinda yeasty. Vaguely spicy. A bit of pepper?

O: Decent beer, but again, boring. Would not have again. Recommended to people who "don't like saisons."

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

I've heard it is completely different on tap, and perhaps I got an old bottle, but I didn't enjoy this.

It poured a cloudy yellow with a huge fluffy, white head that faded fast but left nice lacing.

The aroma was of funk, earth, cooked vegetables, grass and lemon.

The taste was maltier than expected and the lemon that lingered seemed flat, the grass and earth were dominant and lingering funky notes stuck.

It was hard to finish. Again, perhaps I got a bad or old bottle. I'll try it again when I see it and perhaps give a different review.

3.18/5  rDev -23.7%

Very disappointed in this saison. It's my new favorite style and I was expecting all sorts of the usual spices and sugars. Instead, I got lots of hops and bitters. Pours like a typical saison--yellow gold. Big foamy head. Spotty lace. Aroma is a bit hoppy. Blegian sugars come through as the initial flavor, but are quickly replaced with a surprising amount of hops. I can barely find any yeasty fruits, flavors or spices. While refreshingly crisp, it does not drink as smooth as I was expecting. It came across as much more like a bitter than a Belgian farm style ale. Mouth feel is crisp with a full body and malt heaviness that sits on the mouth.

3.19/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Golden, cloudy. Head is white, stays thick, decent lacing.

Smell: Belgian yeast. Reminds me of Stella almost exactly. No hop or malt flavor really.

Taste: follows the nose. Stella to a T.

Mouthfeel: dry, good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Way to expensive for essentially Stella.

3.21/5  rDev -23%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very light yellow. The pillowy cloud of head looks like you could rest your head on it and fall asleep and it glistens in the light. Spectacular.

S: Aroma is spicy and yeasty. Wafts of fresh cut straw emanate, not all that sweet but great for a farmhouse ale.

T/M: Lots of bubbles up front are tangy. It takes a second for the fizz to dissipate from the tongue, but once they do, the flavor is very light with a bit more spicy earthiness and just a little metallic like champagne.

It’s a very light, fizzy beer, not that bad but there are better choices. It looks incredible, though.

3.22/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chilled Duvel tulip glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Poured out a cloudy, straw yellow. Nice, inch-tall head that slowly shrank to a half-inch. Lots of carbonation bubbles present all over the beer.

-Smell 1.5: After I pulled out the cork, I was immediately hit with that baddest sign of all bad beer signs...skunky smell. I thought this might be the problem when I saw that Saison was in a green bottle, but I bought it anyway. Luckily, after the pour the skunkiness dissipated...for the most part. I could still slightly pick it out. Still, the yummy Belgian bouquets that were present were good, it was just hard to move beyond an unwelcome appearance by Pepe le Pew.

-Taste 4.0: Front is a nice visit from that famous, spicy, Belgian yeast. Middle is a very pleasant, smooth and subdued barley hit. Finish is all carbonation, a slight sweetness of the lightest caramel you can imagine, and a refreshing -almost undefinable-- citrus taste. Aftertaste is a subtle, slight sweetness.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Above average. This brew is highly carbonated, but it really adds to the experience rather than detracts from it. Refreshing and thirst-quenching.

-Overall 3.5: Good, but certainly not "world class." I have to admit that the skunkiness factors into this, and why not? Should I give the beer makers at Brasserie Dupont a break on their idiotic decision to internationally distribute a very expensive beer in a giant green bottle? I don't think so. Good beer, probably would be better without the green bottle and unless I can find one that is not in a green bottle, I will not be buying it again.

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
6.5% ABV, 2.010 on the cork.

A - It's not a gusher but damn is this one full of carbonation! The tulip was quickly filled with dense white foam. Great retention kept us from enjoying it for quite a while but, as the foam loosened it left some pretty nice lace above the slightly hazy yellow beer.

S - Wafts of skunk come from the beer which makes me wonder, once again, why breweries insist on using green (and clear) glass. [The first bottle we tried months prior smelled like a skunk dropped ass beside us when we opened it.] Subtle spicy notes of coriander and white pepper with earthy clay and yeast. Hints of lemon grass through the finish.

T - Bland across the board, pale malts back up a faint spicy profile of lemon grass and peppery yeast. Very bland, almost like faintly flavored water, honestly.

M - High carbonation is spritzy in the light-bodied mouthfeel. This saison finishes dry with a touch of saltiness and a slight metallic feel.

O - While this beer isn't offensive in any way, it's completely lacking in flavor which makes it hard to believe it's worthy of the high score it's received. That leads me to question whether there's something wrong (besides a little skunk) with this bottle. And for attempt number two at purchasing bottles, neither the DTrain or I will every be buying one again for a re-review.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Very citrusy orangy aroma. Cloudy yellowish color. Cloudiness is from the yeast. Very strong head and good hold on the glass. Crisp and clean finish very fizzy and highly carbonated. Very light and refreshing. Good beer for a hot summer day. Tastes somewhat bitter but do not consider it bitter because it just has no sweetness to it.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Slightly cloudy light golden color. Smell is of bananas and citrus. Taste has banana/hefeweizen notes with a clean finish. Enjoyable refreshing beer but nothing special.

3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

On tap at the Map Room. Pours cloudy gold with a large white head that quickly fades without much lacing.

The aroma is very light and slightly fruity, with some light malts and noble hops. I can't pick up more than a trace of acidity or Brett character.

The flavor opens up with lemon citric flavor. Light malts show up mid-palate, and restrained noble hop flavors appear on the finish. Some tartness is present, but it's very slight. There might be some phenols lurking in here too, but all the flavors are so light that it's hard to tell.

Mouthfeel is light and moderately heavily carbonated.

Very drinkable, but ultimately too boring for me. I like a more assertive beer than this, but I don't know that I can blame Dupont specifically for this-- I've had the same issues with other Saisons I've tried. People go on and on about the complexity here, but I'm willing to be crass and unsophisticated about this one; it's just not bold enough or surprising enough for me.

3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

Went out on a pre-valentines/Valentines meal with the wife. Went to Parc, in Philadelphia, so I had to venture out from my favorite types of beer to assimilate to the Parc culture. Saison Dupont, veille provision fit the bill.

It's a belgian style farmhouse ale... so you'd expect some cloudiness in the color - this had it. It was blonde in color with a head about 1.5/2 fingers deep. The film stuck around for the entire session.

You'd expect a belgian/wheat style taste... it had it...

And you'd expect a decent drinkability... this had it. It was dry and refreshing.. exactly how the waiter described it.

The bottle itself recommends that it goes well with ANY grilled food. I went with the trout, it went well.

decent for it's beer type, but I'd be okay not getting this again.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%

It's a cloudy, translucent orange-gold color with a white, single finger head that maintains well and seems rather bubbly.

I get coriander and onion from the smell. Strong tones of citrus, almost tart, and hints of honey.

Tastes much like it smells, minus that last bit about the honey. Not getting that sugary sweet bit, sharply and tightly carbonated but dissipates quickly from the tongue leaving just slight aftertaste. It's fruity, but again not sweet, almost a wheat consistency that's spiced like a fall seasonal.

Carbonation combines flavors, but there's not so much complexity for savoring. It's stronger toward the middle and very light.

The clean finish.

3.27/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pours a pale gold, has good typical thick white frothy head, typical for a belgian, the head retains well and laces nicely

S- Has a very tart, citric, spicey smell

T- Tart as well, some what bitter, more or less the same as the smell

M- Very dry, carbonation starts strong but subsides quickly, sticks to mouth

D- Dryness and bitterness affects drinkability. Had other saisons before, most not so bitter, had 2 bottles of dupont so far, still not really impressed

12oz bottle into a Tulip

A: Deep burnt orange. Lots of floaters throughout, like brown specks. 1 finger off white head.

S: Some spiceyness, orange citrus, lemon and a biscuit sweetness.

T: A light spice up front, before caving to a wealth of malt. This can't be right. Bad tastes of dirt and grass come in the finish.

M: Thicker than the style should be, not overly refreshing or carbonated.

D: Bad bottle maybe? The floaters cause issues? Overall a cruddy brew. Will make sure to try again later and re-review if needed.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a pint, and this is my first Saison

A - pours a hazy golden with a massive white head that dissipates relatively quickly.

S - Belgian yeast, and not much else. I can't get a big smell off of this one.

T - Bit of clove, and the twang of yeast. I am really struggling to get a specific flavor off of this beer, which is frustrating!

M - Good carbonation, and light in the mouth. Crisp and refreshing

D - I wish I could taste more in this beer, it goes down easily and is good for refreshment, but not much else. Disappointed.

3.29/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Cork and cage shoots off while I'm still untwisting the wire. Nearly got me in the eye. They should put a warning label on this damn thing. Anyway, after losing a bunch of the bottle to the countertops and floor I finally got it poured. Pours a really pale sort of burnt orange with lots of grainy sediment. Enormous frothy white head. Huge island of foam sticks around forever. Just little dustings of lacing stick around once the head finally dissipates.

S: Lots of citrus, melon and burning plastic. Sweet grainy malt backing it up.

T: Citrusy up front with a decent bit of grass maybe? Lots of cloves melding with some sweet grainy malt towards the finish. Kinda bitter with decent spiciness in the finish and aftertaste. Lots of cloves lingering too. Get that burning plastic taste between sips.

M: Medium bodied and smooth. Kinda grainy from all the floaties. Bleh.

O: It's a burning tire saison. Most of the flavors and smells are pretty good but it's kinda hard to overcome the burning tires. Meh. It loses points for trying to kill me too.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle shared at a tasting. Poured into snifter.
A: A bright, haze is poured with mild sediment. The head is like an erupting volcano, a dull white in color.
S:The aroma is a typical farmhouse aroma, with a bit of skunk. More notes of gum and candy than skunk.
T/M: Having tried many Saison / Farmhouse ales, I feel this one is very skunky on the taste, I have read of skunked bottles of this, so I will not act as if this is the true sensation of the ale. The notes of taffy and gum are subtle, but very pleasant. A nice silky mouthfeel, but a touch grainy.
D: Not an over the top Saison, but a very good one none the less. I feel I may have gotten a bad bottle, so I am hoping to get another and hope that this skunky taste is a aftermath thought. I will try again and hopefully edit my reveiw. This is how it stands as of now.

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

The beer pours a hazy fizzy yellow body with a white head that stood up with Belgian style lacing. The beer had a lovely yeasty aroma that was paired up with spicey notes that followed closely. The taste was largely of yeast and spices, but it also had hints of malts and a low balancing hops oil was presence. The medium-thin body had lively carbonated feel on the tounge and a refreshing crisp dry finish. This beer went down way too easily and left me wanting more of this style.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

750ml campagne bottle. Green bottle, no freshness date. Uh-oh, this one seems like it's been skunked. Sure enough...this ones pretty far gone. Going to review anyway. My review will be objective...im not going to try to find another bottle and re-review, afterall this is how they decided to package it!

Orange gold with good carbonation.

Some mild fruit hidden behind a musty skunky wave. As my glass airs out, the skunk seems to go away and I can get at some of the nuances. Spicy metallic hops. Pear, lemon pith, cannabis, apples.

Apples, grassy hay, and there's that stale skunk again, bah. Belgian yeast comes to the foreground as it warms up, but it's still got that mouth-frowning skeeze that keeps haunting my palate. I've had saisons before, and this is definitly pretty good skunk-aside.

Good drinkability and mouthfeel in there, if only someone would slap them on the forehead and tell them to add:
1.freshness date
2.darker bottle to prevent uv light damage

3.37/5  rDev -19.2%

Sampled on 3-28-08

Pours a very cloudy and very fizzy pale gold. A massive white foam head sits on top, leaving no real lacing.

Smell is slightly skunky at first, and then a Belgian sweetness comes through. Subtle, but very enjoyable.

Taste is a bit of a surprise. I was expecting sweet Belgian, but this is very, very bitter. Almost too bitter. The subtle flavors that give the beer character are almost completely covered up.

Mouthfeel is good, maybe a bit too carbonated for the style.

Drinkability is decent, but the bitterness is just a shame.

Overall, I was hoping for alot more. Probably pretty good underneath, but just doesn't work.

3.37/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a nice hazy sediment ridden, creamy orange color. Moderate thick rich head and tons of soapy lacing.

Smells sweet and fruity. Nice light Belgian yeast aroma, tiny bit of funkiness and alcohol floating around in there as well. A soft apple aroma contributes to the fruitiness of the smell.

The taste is not nearly as sweet as the smell. Toasty and somewhat phenolic, sweetness reminds me of brown sugar. Good tiny amount of dry funk as well, not by any means overpowering.

Mouthfeel is very balanced, surprisingly dry with a dump truck full of carbonation.

Drinkability is fair, one 750 will polish me off. I really like this one, but I am far from loving it.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

A- Super light, the color of whipped honey. Pretty hazy/cloudy. Thin head around the top.

S- Funky, almost skunky. Bready.

T- It reminds me of a dry champagne, kinda sweet and very refreshing. Some sour notes.

M- Good carbonation, almost fizzes in your mouth. Makes my mouth water for more. Thin but full at the same time, maybe due to the bubbliness.

O/D- My first saison and I think a great one to start with. Delicious and easy to put down. Try it!

3.39/5  rDev -18.7%

75 cl green bottle with wire cage and cork. The cork shot itself out like a rocket after the cage was removed!

Poured a cloudy straw with huge white head. Very clingy froth.

I was burned by the green bottle, this bastard was skunked. Underneath the badness: tart green apple and a funky earthiness.

Creamy malt body quickly goes super dry with a barnyard spunk. Sparkling, crisp carbonation. Peppery alcohol.

Too bad this was light struck. I'll go through a more deliberate selection for my next bottle.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl