Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,590 | Reviews: 1,486

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Clean straw-gold body, clear with loads of nucleation under mountainous white head. Leaves sticky patches of lacing. Great color & composition.

Dry champagne smell, lemon, hints of pineapple & pepper.

Taste is clean malts, biscuity at first, with some orange & lemon tang. Grassy & herbal notes, as well flinty/mineral. There's a tea-like "leafiness." Actually reminds me of a heavier pale ale with an added herbal quality. Pretty dry for a saison, in my experience.

Medium-bodied, but with a light, spritzy freshness. Smooth.

Tasty & well-made, but still feels pretty full to me. Definitely one I'd go for repeatedly, but two in a sitting would probably be my limit.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

I poured a 375 ml bottle into a chilled Dupont Saison glass.

A: The body is a opaque, creamy and lemony yellow that is reminiscent of a lemon cream soda. The head was amazingly abundant…a full four fingers that continued to be generated for several minutes after I poured the beer into my glass. The head is bone white, sticky and it lasted forever. I prefer a little less head but the white head on the lemony body reminded me of my grandmothers lemon mirage pie…yummy.

S: The aroma is a perfumy floral complemented by a lemony citrus odor.

T: It is a bit tart and sour with a white pepper aftertaste. There is a mellow herbal sweetness with a bite of a lemon rind. There is a green grass bitter flavor that comes forward and dominates but the aggressive carbonation and lemony freshness clean the palate and leave a refreshing taste inviting the next sip.

M: It has a creamy smoothness despite the heavy bite of carbonation and dryness from the alcohol. This Saison is medium-bodied and very silky it reminds me of a Belgium Witbier.

D: This is nice smooth beer that went down quite well. It is a very drinkable Saison that is best suited for a mid-summer afternoon pool party

Comment: I enjoy Saisons as a change of pace from other Belgiums. This is a very refreshing beer that belongs in the lineup for summer parties and picnics.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

750 ml. Bottled 2008 Tasted in Mid-March 2009

It has been years since I've had this beer and I am excited to finally try it again. Pours a beautiful hazy gold with hyperactive carbonation and crowned with a a thick white head. Smells very yeasty with light fruits and spices. The taste just blows me away. Saison Dupont is such an all-star that I hardly know where to begin. The first thing I notice is the way it makes me tongue tingle, followed by a sweet fruity and spicy blast not unlike that of a Belgian tripel just before a rush of orange zest hits the back palate and lingers on the finish. It's body is quite extraordinary -- tingly like I said but has a very substantial body that gradually breaks down and softens. An exceptional beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

i am blown away every time i have this one. benchmark awesome. slight haze to the burnt gold color. white head that holds forever and leaves beautiful lace. nose is shining, pure, clean, bready pilsner malt, earthy, floral, herbal hops, citrus, spice, grass, lemongrass, and a funky (but subdued) skunky/pot kind of thing. taste is a superbly balanced melange of all of the above with a dry and peppery finish. fluffy mouthfeel with just enough tingle/prickle to zip it up and add a bit of a refreshing quality. this would be one of my desert island beers. awesome. a timeless classic for real. i never get sick of this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a beer chalice. Frothy white head with a cloudy, pale golden hue. Big smells of earth, flowers, and fruit.

Very complex in its flavor profile, mostly due to the interplay of fruitiness and earth flavors. Dry and bright finish. A nice bubbly mouthfeel that helps even out the wildness of some of the yeasty flavors. Interesting and something to be savored and appreciated for its roots in traditional Belgian beer culture.

Pairs divinely with a nice blue cheese.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Got a bottle of this from Cloverleaf Tavern.

A: Pours a hazy, dark yellow/slightly golden body with a thick, white head with excellent retention and lacing along the glass.

S: A slightly lemon smell with some olive notes and a slight sourness.

T: A nice, banana taste with a slight bitterness and sourness to it. Some olive tastes were noted in the aftertaste with some earthy and slightly sour notes. A nice, dry finish with each sip.

M: A smooth, medium bodied, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that was nice on the palette.

D: A nice mouthfeel and taste combination that was nice for the style. A nice Saison overall that was crisp and a nice beer to have on a cooler, summer night.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a golden color w/ tornado carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. Massive off white head with great lacing on my tulip. The nose has a very mild lemon, earthy vibe to it. Yeast in there as well. Taste is the same profile w/ light fruit, yeast, and malt out front. Feel is very smooth, it seems a little undercarbonated to me- but it's not bad. Overall a good brew- Wish it didn't come in a green bottle. Cheers.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

1.86/5  rDev -55.5%

As best I can determine, I must have gotten a bad bottle because I was far from impressed. Hardly a fan of saisons, I found this to be an awful experience. The first hint of a problem occurred when the aroma smelled like burnt rubber. With the sense of smell and taste being closely associated, this was not a good start. The initial taste was very tart lemon. It was not just lemon juice, it was as though I was chewing on lemon rind. The aftertaste that followed was a gritty Flintstone vitamins lemon taste. Perhaps another way to explain the feeling would be a textured shandy.

Noting the high praise this saison received, I have trouble fathoming such a bad experience. I could not recommend this saison to another person unless of course I had a better experience with a future bottle. However, I would not buy that bottle with my money.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl