Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,513 | Hads: 3,789
3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

A: a yellowish, hay colored beer with a crazy head. There was more head than beer, even after a careful pour.

S: Citrus and hay. Very barnyard like.

T: Yeast, some citrus, and grass. Very musty.

M: The carbonation is perfect. Smooth and light.

O: This is my first experience with farmhouse ales and I really enjoyed it. Hope there are many more to come. (361 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A - Pale. Slightly hazy. Great foamy head.

S - Wet hay. Sweet banana. Spice. Grass. Floral hops. Yeast. Funk.

T - Spicy bitterness. Orange/lemon citrus. Funky. Sweet tang. Peppery spice.

M - Medium body. Slightly dry. But very smooth. Small bubbles. Creamy foam.

O - A fantastic Saison. Love the funky spice and citrus. Medium body backs this up well. Will definitely be drinking again. (390 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional beer! Very well rounded and subtle. Beautiful floral notes with complex yeast undertones. Perfect hop bitterness and a slight sour touch. Smooth mouth feel with complex lingering flavors, including a slight maltiness.

If you haven't tried it, it's certainly worth a try. (283 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

This saison pours, like many, with a big, thick head that clings to the side of your glass. That is a good thing. The color was golden and rather cloudy.

The nose was full of spiciness and fruit. There was a slight hoppiness to it, and a little bit of malty biscuit in there as well.

The first thing I noticed was that this has a very dry finish, almost no aftertaste present. Lots of fruit and hops present in the front. Slight medicinal, though not unpleasant, coating leads to a medium mouthfeel. Lots of pepper and spiciness throughout, which is welcomed. This paired very nicely with an artichoke/prosciutto risotto. I'd recommend this to any saison fan. (666 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle, into a Gouden Carolus goblet:
Appearance: Slightly hazy, golden yellow/orange color. Fluffy white head. Lacing down the side as I drink.
Smell: Black pepper, citrus, fruity yeast; complex and enticing.
Taste: Dry, peppery, crisp and refreshing. Hops evident in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Active carbonation added to the crisp taste.
Drinkability: Went down way too easy for 6.5%. Not the first time I've had it, but every time I do I know why they say this is a classic of the style. Excellent beer. (531 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1%

A: Golden, cloudy with a large head that recedes slowly. Nice looking.

S: The first hit I get right out of the bottle nose is that Heineken smell of semi-skunk...the result of alpha acid exposure to light (from the green glass 750ml). Fortunately that just seemed like the initial burst from the uncorking, and it mellows into something nicer. Mild spice, some sweetness, but still a little skunk in the background. Get amber bottles (like pictured here on Beer Advocate) if you can.

T: Better than it smells. Starts off kind of grassy, fading into mild alcohols, then some pleasant fruit on the upper palate. Kind of earthy and boozy. I like it. Gets better as it warms.

M: Bites just enough up front from carbonation, then gets slick. Tis good.

O: This is a pretty rad beer. Unique, but at this price there're other brews I'd probably rather buy. I could see myself ordering it if I'm in the right mood...and it's pretty classy when it comes down to it. Get it to impress a lady.

Also had this on tap (I think it was on tap) at Father's Office in Culver City. Was better than the bottle I got at Whole Foods. (1,115 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A great classic saison right out of Belgium. The bottle popped off like champagne revealing a nice opaque golden ale with plenty of carbonation. The nose had some earthy phenols with mild sweetness. I did not think of it smelling pear-like, but now that I see other people describe it that way I certainly agree.

Taste was very good, the earthy phenols from the Belgium yeast come out right away, along with a gentle dosage of hops, with leads to a somewhat wheaty, cleanly malted taste and finishes with the hint of fruity sweetness and earthy flavors again. This saison has a smooth satisfying mouthfeel and a real crisp, bubbly finish that makes you go "Ahhh!" and want some more.

This is not the must unique of flavor-laden saison out there, but has a fine balance and was a fine drink on a summer evening on the porch, I found. (836 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle with cork, purchased for 8.99 at Cedar Grove Wine and Liquors in Somerset, New Jersey

poured light goldens with a full inch of active head, good cling and foamy

smell was tart and yeasty, citrus

taste is just amazing, citrus again, sour apples or pear, yeast and funk

refreshing then dry, crispy bubbly bubbly bubbly snaps

very drinkable is wish there was more, i would drink it while baling hay or digging up beets

i had this with a salmon and warm vinaigrette salad and it went perfect, i imagine it would be good with many light foods (556 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

this one surprised me, didn't expect such a tasty drink...
Citrus, bitter, dry grain, just a very cleansing beer, and my girl liked it! What does one need more?

reminded me a bit of my first Orval experience, don't get me wrong, they are not the same, but this one could become one of my favorites... easy to drink, low ABV, refreshing taste, complex...
Well done! (368 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Even a deliberately delicate pour on this fresh bottle of hazy gold brew leads to a vigorous bright white head, taking several moments to settle into a manageable frothy cap that endured the entire session and produced intensive lacing waning to some lingering patches as the glass wares down. An herbal spicy aroma leads to a pleasantly moderate mix of malt and hops, sweet at first with a touch of sour citrus and mild bitterness finishing the flavor. Not terribly strong nor tremendously interesting, yet absolutely delicious all the same! Quite well suited for its intended purpose, a hot summer's day. (606 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.7%

Wow, my first review in a long time. This is only my third saison, so I'm not sure If I really understand the style yet, but here it goes.
Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Hapkin glass. Needed all that extra room because it produced a vigorous head. My first thought when I smelled it was, "Wow this is skunked". But maybe that is how it supposed to smell. Another Saison I had smelled the same. Ended up tasting pretty great. Fruity sweetness mixed with corriander and a lingering bitterness. The most enjoyable of the few saisons I've had. Would go great with any dinner that calls for white wine. Definately worth picking up. (630 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml bottle. Easy to polish off one of these by yourself.

A. The head is straight redonkulous! Nice and white, very rocky, with great lacing and retention. The color is like a misty golden morning. Nice!

S. Funky, straight up. I get earth, grass, wet barn, and some sour funk that I can't put my finger on. A little bit of a turn of with that.

T. Glorious. I use this Saison as a bench mark for all others with this style. Great balance and spiciness. Very crisp flavors of sour fruits. A good hop bitterness finishes this out.

M. A nice strong carbonation. Very crisp. This one has a great lingering finish. A somewhat light beer.

D. I could probably put back to 750mm bottles without breaking a sweat. This is one of the more perfect beers for all occasions. (767 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Gold yellow with medium carbonation. The foam is white, fine and very persistent.

S - In first citrus (lemon in particular). But there's also a scent of white fruit like apple. A little of honey a some herbaceous by hop.

T - All the sensations that come from the nose return also in the mouth. There's a good aftertaste of bitter.

M - Very dry beer, but it's not completely what I expected. It's not one of the best belgian beers i've drinked..

D - Alcohol it's wisely balanced by bitter and fruity, so this beer results very drinkable!! (545 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nice, golden hazy color with an strong head. This was a 2004 and the age was apparent right away in the aroma. Very nice, spicy nose with a combination of lemon and pepper. The taste is very refreshing and this is one of the best saisons I've had. Nice mild, spicy flavor that's very refreshing. (303 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +7%

Pours a nice shade of gold, but filmy. Really nice head. The smell is a fresh smell this is by no means watered down. Taste is awesome. Really clean, fresh, and un-watered down taste. Goes down smooth with no bite or aftertaste even trying really hard to tell. I paid $7.50 in a specialty store in Alabama for this bottle (most I have paid for a bottle in a store as of this date) and I am not disappointed at all. The bottle with the corked top is no marketing scheme. Has the year on it for some reference to its freshness which taste fresh. I am really going to enjoy drinking this beer!

**Edit**

Turns out the bottle I bought for so much was a larger version of the same beer in my frig. I will give the small, cheaper priced, bottle to my girlfriend to try. (764 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Long lasting head. Hazy. Pilsner malty, bitter, peppery, touch of clove, phenolic aroma and some flavor. Tasty, but slight brett flavors lean toward pepper/sandpaper rather than refreshing slightly sourness. Full bodied, yet pretty dry for this alcohol level. Dangerously drinkable, but I'm a bit disappointed after seeing scores well above 90. (344 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

The benchmark for the style. A marvelous summer beer - perfect for an evening with some friends in the backyard, eating sausage and cheese.

First pour shows a cloudy and hazed pale gold-yellow. The head is huge and frothing. Dense and sticky and seemingly out of control in the glass.

The aromas are lovely with strong floral and herbal notes riding on the undercurrent of funky horseblanket yeast and warm french bread. Perhaps a bit unbalanced, which stops it from deserving a higher score.

Initial tastes are herbaceous and citric. I taste fresh cut grass, lemon, some graperfruit notes and a strong hop bite. Very sharp and slightly acid in flavour. Very refreshing and clean, leading to a tart and dry finish with little aftertaste.

This is a beer you could seriously session drink - which might be dangerous (grin). A lovely and refreshing beer and one I will try to have with more regularity. (913 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours cloudy and golden yellow with frothy head, the head remains about 1/8 inch thoughout. Carbonation is champagne like, very effervescent. The aroma is very complex spicy and citrus, a little floral. Flavor is equally as complex with mild bitterness, nice sweetness, and various spice flavors. Medium bodied with fairly high alcohol content. Very drinkable, but definately one to savor. A classic beer! (405 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

awesome classic Saison...of course.

a: slightly hazy yellow

s: yeast, hay, hop flower

t: delicious! this beer is so complex, I get different tastes each sip. runs the range of beer...malty, hoppy, hay, bubblegum, slightly tart.

m: bone dry finish...but somehow sweet upfront.

d: awesome.

what a great beer! seems to be some inconsistency between bottles. I think it can be attributed to poor handling in shipping. always a great beer, but some bottles seem to be better than others. (489 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours clear and very golden, a really nice color. The head is frothy and lingers for quite a while. The lacing also does well.

Right as I opened the bottle I was overcome with skunkyness. I don't know if that's how it normally is, or if my bottle has been exposed too much, but it isn't too off-putting. I kind of like it! After being open for a few minutes and in the glass, it loses some of the intense skunkyness, and lets other aromas come through. I get a faint smell of apples, and possibly oranges.

The taste is a lot better than I expected. I thought the skunkyness would have affected it too much, but it's a beautiful mix of funky flavors with a slight hopped taste on the finish. The mix of funky and bitter goes quite well together.

Overall I'd love to have this beer again, great for a light meal. (813 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6%

Gold, hazy. Yeast was disturbed some in transit.
Smells of citrus, light peppery and a little straw.
Had this while eating some shrimp pad thai, which is paired with excellently. The slight spiciness in the beer matched well with the food, then the citrus and carbonation came in to cool things down.
This went down quite easily, and I can see this going well with many other types of food, especially anything with a little spice, or on a nice warm day. (454 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked 375ml bottle poured into chalices.

A- beautiful golden/slight orange color and slightly cloudy with white head.

S- I'm immediately hit with floral and fruity (apricots and peaches) notes followed by the pilsner malts.

T- First I taste the crispness of the pilsner malts followed by some yeast and spices. The taste rounds out with the fruits (apricots and peaches again and a little citrus).

M- light bodied with a good bit of carbonation to keep things interesting.

D- With its dry and complex flavor, I want to think this has a higher ABV than it really does. Knowing that, I could easily down several on a nice hot day. (636 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Good carbonation. Cloudy and straw yellow. Lots of foam. Great lacing effect. Head stays with beer thru the glass.

Smell: Yeast is the first thing I notice followed by a earthy barnyard aroma. Lots of girth and complexity in here. The spiciness and earth smell take over after a few whiffs.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wonderful! Pretty thick despite the light color. Lots of pepper and honey with some lemon hops in the background. Great spicy/sweet ratio. The yeast comes through and makes this decently malty as well. Excellent.

Drinkability: A true sipper that fills your mouth and finishes wonderfully. Easy to drink a bomber by yourself. A fantastic farmhouse that I will definitely drink again. (706 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a pint, and this is my first Saison

A - pours a hazy golden with a massive white head that dissipates relatively quickly.

S - Belgian yeast, and not much else. I can't get a big smell off of this one.

T - Bit of clove, and the twang of yeast. I am really struggling to get a specific flavor off of this beer, which is frustrating!

M - Good carbonation, and light in the mouth. Crisp and refreshing

D - I wish I could taste more in this beer, it goes down easily and is good for refreshment, but not much else. Disappointed. (540 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer is opaque and golden. It has a two-finger head. As you drink it, the head recedes to a thin layer that doesn't budge. As for its nose, it has a slight but bearable skunkiness. It doesn't smell like fresh grass complemented with acidic fruits unlike a Sauvignon blanc.

Once the beer is about to enter into our wind pipe, the skunky taste dissipates in favour of the bitterness which is akin to a spice that is a notch below black pepper.

Despite its watery texture, which is what one should expect, I didn't feel a refreshing effect in my mouth. In fact, I have tasted a Saison that is more refreshing and citrusy than Dupont's. However, if I was looking for a beer that is easy to drink, I would pick a Saison over a lager. Overall, it is the best Saison I have tasted because I like its look and the beer doesn't become flat after a few minutes. (857 characters)

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl