Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Saison Dupont - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Saison DupontSaison Dupont

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Dupont Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,517 | Hads: 3,810
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

The benchmark for the style. A marvelous summer beer - perfect for an evening with some friends in the backyard, eating sausage and cheese.

First pour shows a cloudy and hazed pale gold-yellow. The head is huge and frothing. Dense and sticky and seemingly out of control in the glass.

The aromas are lovely with strong floral and herbal notes riding on the undercurrent of funky horseblanket yeast and warm french bread. Perhaps a bit unbalanced, which stops it from deserving a higher score.

Initial tastes are herbaceous and citric. I taste fresh cut grass, lemon, some graperfruit notes and a strong hop bite. Very sharp and slightly acid in flavour. Very refreshing and clean, leading to a tart and dry finish with little aftertaste.

This is a beer you could seriously session drink - which might be dangerous (grin). A lovely and refreshing beer and one I will try to have with more regularity.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours cloudy and golden yellow with frothy head, the head remains about 1/8 inch thoughout. Carbonation is champagne like, very effervescent. The aroma is very complex spicy and citrus, a little floral. Flavor is equally as complex with mild bitterness, nice sweetness, and various spice flavors. Medium bodied with fairly high alcohol content. Very drinkable, but definately one to savor. A classic beer!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

awesome classic Saison...of course.

a: slightly hazy yellow

s: yeast, hay, hop flower

t: delicious! this beer is so complex, I get different tastes each sip. runs the range of beer...malty, hoppy, hay, bubblegum, slightly tart.

m: bone dry finish...but somehow sweet upfront.

d: awesome.

what a great beer! seems to be some inconsistency between bottles. I think it can be attributed to poor handling in shipping. always a great beer, but some bottles seem to be better than others.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours clear and very golden, a really nice color. The head is frothy and lingers for quite a while. The lacing also does well.

Right as I opened the bottle I was overcome with skunkyness. I don't know if that's how it normally is, or if my bottle has been exposed too much, but it isn't too off-putting. I kind of like it! After being open for a few minutes and in the glass, it loses some of the intense skunkyness, and lets other aromas come through. I get a faint smell of apples, and possibly oranges.

The taste is a lot better than I expected. I thought the skunkyness would have affected it too much, but it's a beautiful mix of funky flavors with a slight hopped taste on the finish. The mix of funky and bitter goes quite well together.

Overall I'd love to have this beer again, great for a light meal.

3.92/5  rDev -6%

Gold, hazy. Yeast was disturbed some in transit.
Smells of citrus, light peppery and a little straw.
Had this while eating some shrimp pad thai, which is paired with excellently. The slight spiciness in the beer matched well with the food, then the citrus and carbonation came in to cool things down.
This went down quite easily, and I can see this going well with many other types of food, especially anything with a little spice, or on a nice warm day.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked 375ml bottle poured into chalices.

A- beautiful golden/slight orange color and slightly cloudy with white head.

S- I'm immediately hit with floral and fruity (apricots and peaches) notes followed by the pilsner malts.

T- First I taste the crispness of the pilsner malts followed by some yeast and spices. The taste rounds out with the fruits (apricots and peaches again and a little citrus).

M- light bodied with a good bit of carbonation to keep things interesting.

D- With its dry and complex flavor, I want to think this has a higher ABV than it really does. Knowing that, I could easily down several on a nice hot day.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Good carbonation. Cloudy and straw yellow. Lots of foam. Great lacing effect. Head stays with beer thru the glass.

Smell: Yeast is the first thing I notice followed by a earthy barnyard aroma. Lots of girth and complexity in here. The spiciness and earth smell take over after a few whiffs.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wonderful! Pretty thick despite the light color. Lots of pepper and honey with some lemon hops in the background. Great spicy/sweet ratio. The yeast comes through and makes this decently malty as well. Excellent.

Drinkability: A true sipper that fills your mouth and finishes wonderfully. Easy to drink a bomber by yourself. A fantastic farmhouse that I will definitely drink again.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a pint, and this is my first Saison

A - pours a hazy golden with a massive white head that dissipates relatively quickly.

S - Belgian yeast, and not much else. I can't get a big smell off of this one.

T - Bit of clove, and the twang of yeast. I am really struggling to get a specific flavor off of this beer, which is frustrating!

M - Good carbonation, and light in the mouth. Crisp and refreshing

D - I wish I could taste more in this beer, it goes down easily and is good for refreshment, but not much else. Disappointed.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

From 750 mL bottle into a Saison Dupont tumbler courtesy of Vanberg & Dewulf

Appearance: golden straw color, with HUGE white head. Naturally cloudy. Can't get over how awesome this head is.

Smell: earthy smell. Touch of hops with a slight funkiness.

Taste: Yes please! Nice funkiness from the yeast really compliments the touch of hops flavor. Bitter aftertaste. Much better than the skunked bottle I had a few weeks ago.

Mouthfeel: light with high carbonation

Drinkability: could easily drink this 750 mL by myself. I am sharing with a friend however... I should have been greedy!

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A- dark yellow with great head and yeast cloudiness
S- sweet and grassy notes with crisp tartness
M- light effervescent and slightly dry.
T- Grassy, floral and light. Some yeast mellows out tartness. Slightly funky
O- Tasty and mellow saison. Balanced and complex, great introductory saison. Not too sour or funky. Slight farmhouse flavors and earthy taste.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I love this beer. Date on the cork 2006. Pours a golden yellow with a fluffy head that lets off that great funky smell. The taste is bready with sweet citrus aftertaste that hits the spot. I could drink this all day and every day. Exellent beer that I never get tired off.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

picked up this little jewel at stateline MD
(my first ever saison)

A-- pretty average golden color that fits with most of the belgian styles i have been enjoying recently. nice fluffy head that receded quickly but never did go all the way away.

S-- the smell is high on the fruity yeast side with malts peeking in. could be banana..pretty complex smell for me to pick out everything present..

T-- belgian yeast shines through beautifully...fruity and extery with just very small hints of hops to balance this one out very nicely...as with the smell the amount of tastes here i just cannot begin to describe yet...i will have to re-review again when i train my palate more

M-- very smooth and bubbly...fills your mouth and coats your tounge with taste...but it is not a sticky coating...just a full bodied taste..

D-- i could drink a few of these but would eventually have to switch styles to something very bitter since the belgian styles arent my favorite...but i enjoy having a few due to the complexity of the flavors and they arent usually as strong so i can have a few in a row...very tasty i will grab a 4 pack next time im out..

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Pours a cloudy golden color with a huge white head. Beautiful belgin lacing all the way to the bottom.
S- Yeasty bread and spicy aromas.
T- Acidic fruit up front followed by the spicy yeast flavors. Finishes very dry. Outstanding!
M- Robust and dry.
D- Fantastic saison! I would never turn one of these away. Highly recommended if you enjoy the style.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours into a pretty good head with a decent foam and decent retention. There is a cloudy amber color.

Immediately there is a yeasty, fruity, nutty aroma. The flavor is biscuity with citrus in the background, and a touch of spice.

Moderate body, moderate creamy feeling on the tongue with moderate carbonation.

This yeasty brew goes great with strong cheeses, and stands up to spicy charcuterie. I can only imagine what this beer would be like if it were available fresh, either from a keg or (for god's sake) even in a dark bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked this up in Idaho to try another Saison style, as I love Hennepin by Ommegang.
Pour is a golden color and a decent white head.
Smell is slight citrus with almost no hint of any alcohol.
Noticable carbonation. Crisp, mild and goes down easy with no aftertaste.l
Great drinkability, would be great in the summertime!

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Had a peachy - amber opaque color to it. Was very fizzy when poured and developed a thick white head.

S- A little difficult to find the words for the aromas here. Definitely something that reminds me or green apples and maybe a little grapefruitiness. There is also a slight malt smell with some spices in the background.

T- Starts off a bit biscuity and sour. Some citrus flavors and yeast funkiness kick in mid way through.

M- Medium bodied and thick, almost chewy feeling. Medium to low carbonation.

D- Refreshing, yet I can only drink one 750ml at a time because it is a bit heavy feeling.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

dimpled goblet

A failry clean, smell of skunk hints before i finished the pour. Very yellow, almost neon red bull. Very white head, nice lace that lingers on the suface after it receeds

S wow. green bottle did its thing. nice spice/floral aromas with hoppiness

T bitter hop up front, very pleasant. skunk at the end, but adds not distracts to the beer. lots of freshness, long finish

M coating, hits the sides of the tounge for flavor

D stylistically very nice. a cleaner saison with skunky flare, but very very enjoyable and continued to grow on me

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: clear golden body with a solid white head.

Smell: initially you get that funky barnyard smell wich turns into a nice sweet apple with a little banana

Taste: so if you're new to saisons I would try this out. It sets the bar on what a standard saison tastes like IMO. Very classic for it's style. Nothing crazy but it's done just right. Apple sourness with that typical banana clove combination.

Mouthfeel: extremely dry and carbonated. Very refreshing in The summer

Overall a must try for anybody especially those new to the style. Solid beer all around but again not spectacular out of this world level.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

(Amateur Reviewer)
I find this beer to be nearly perfect, as saison is my favorite style right now. The only detractor to me, is how impossible it is to pour off the bottle without 40% to 70% head. This beer is so obviously made using champagne yeast, I believe Nitro-glycerin might be less reactive. Other than that, everything about this beer is dead on.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Dark gold, orange, cloudy, beautiful whipped cream head that's easy to recreate with a swirl of the glass. Makes you want a "got milk" mustache as soon as it's poured.

S - Yeast, alcohol, biscuits, grass.

T - Vanilla, apricot, hint of nutmeg, sweet cream, pineapple. Really nice, mellow blend of flavors. Good balance of spiciness and sweetness.

M - Light, but creamy feel on the middle and sides of tongue. Perfect light carbonation. Slides down like ice cream.

D - I could definitley have a couple of these, though maybe a bit too filling for more than that. I will probably finish this 750ml bottle!

I'm a new and eager student of Belgian beers and I am loving using this as my study. I don't see how this beer could dissapoint anyone!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a .375 ml champagne split bottle, cloudy, hazy yellow color in my glass with a thick foamy head, smells of citrus, slight astringance, a sour odor,mmm i cant wait to taste. Wow, this is some good stuff, a lightly sweet and wonderfully sour flavor, this beer is not afraid to be what it is. I love the farmhouse ale style and Saison Dupont is at the top of my list. A wonderfully refreshing beer, the .375 ml is not quite enough of this stuff for me, but i wouldnt drink it all night. A crusty baguette, and some ripe cheeses, sitting under an awning at a nice cafe sipping on some Saison Dupont, now thats a heavanly scenario!!

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

A really tasty beer. Appearance is a hazy straw color that pours a real nice head. Head sticks around as well. Smell is really different. Yeasty and sort of musty. Taste is the same. Very unique, refreshing and really difficult to put a finger on. Mouthfeel is rich and carbonated. Drinkability is very good. The alcohol is low and the flavors are so unique that you keep going back for more. I would highly recommend this. They also make an organic version that is good.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

a - a crisp caramel with a very thick head. There is a nice haze to it with bubbles dancing through it.

s - This is one of those beers where the nose can actually be said to be bursting. There are a myriad of notes coming through including apples, apricots, and anise.

t- There is a lot going on with this beer. It is very fruity, but not in a bad way at all. The taste sits very well on the palate, and there is a very subtle hop flavor to it.

M- When we opened the bottle and it popped like champagne, I knew what we were tearing in to. There is a lot of carbonation, which brings-out some of the fruit notes to it.

O- My wife is a huge fan of saisons, so this beer was a little bit of a surprise. Most of the saisons we've had are from American brewers, so what we came to realize as we drank it was that this beer is what a saison is supposed to taste like (not that there are not many very good American versions). We had it with Mexican food, and it was great. I cannot wait to have this beer in the summer with some of the fresh summer flavors.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml poured into 2 Chimay glasses. (Split with my wife.)

This is my second go at this beer; my first was skunked and uncharacteristic.

Cloudy toasted yellow pour with a quick rising cloudy head - dense bubbles stay put for a long time. Lotsa lacing. Beautiful.

I can't get too much out of the smell, but I found: muted citrus, lemon, dirt/earth, and peppery-ness.

The taste was awesome; there is first an earthiness followed by a muted tart apple sweetness. It finishes with a blend of pepper, hops, and a bit of earth. The flavors would work well with grilled chicken & pasta.

Pleasant mouthfeel. Feels good and smooth over the tongue, but finishes dry. Great carbonation.

This would be a great beer to have on a hot day. It has a lightness to it that is very refreshing. Goes down easy.

I really enjoyed this one. My first try was extremely dull; I'm relieved that I received a good bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750ml bottle into Horny Devil tulip.

Pours an amazingly beautiful hazy golden yellow. Smell is a very nice mixture of bread and yeasty goodness that made my mouth water. Holy shit, I'm excited. The taste is incredible. A mixture of pepper and spices that gives way to dryness that makes me want more. This is one amazing beer. One of the best saisons I've ever had. I'll be trying this one again.

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont sprl