Foret - Brasserie Dupont sprl

ForetForet

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foret Alström Bros

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -47.8%

I had this as part of the July "beer school" at Comet Cafe in Milwaukee. I was told this beer is organic, and it continues a train of disappointing organic beer experiences in my life. This beer was fairly skunky but not without its redeeming qualities.

It had a hazy gold color with lots of head composed of tiny bubles that appeared to be the product of secondary fermentation. Aroma was skunky (in a not terrible way) with some citrusness. Flavor was further skunky in a not-pleasant way and this beer had a lemonade quality at the finish and a tart mouthfeel that was palate cleansing, but also unpleasant, like an antiseptic.

I can't say I'd strongly recommend this.

BeerBelcher, Jul 14, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -40.3%

750ml corked and caged bottle (green, sadly) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazy orange-gold body beneath a lofty head of white foam; mediocre retention and wet, spotty lace.

S: Huge wave of skunk follows directly upon the removal of the cork (digression: I got this bottle as a replacement for two consecutive skunked bottles of Saison Dupont; I know for a fact that the store stores them properly, so I have to chalk repeated defects up to the brewery's ridiculous choice of green bottles; hence, I'm going to review this third bottle from them as is). Skunk fills the room and lingers far from the glass; direct inhalation from the glass only augments the torture (although it does suggest that were the brew not skunked, it might smell damn good).

T: Light spice, fruity Belgian yeast, and a richly complex aftertaste that dies away into a bitter, skunky finish. This has potential to be a truly amazing saison, but delivers only a disappointingly mixed result.

M: Smooth, medium body, and a huge amount of lively, refreshing carbonation. Very nice.

D: This is a chore to make it though, both because of the skunk and the disappointment that accompanies it. It really flirts with being a drainpour - but it does taste acceptable.

Notes: I feel kind of bad reviewing a beer I know to be off (which is why I declined to review both of the Saison Duponts that led up to this); however, upon further consideration, I've decided that importing a beer in a green bottle is just asking for skunk. Therefore, I've decided that this bottle deserves to be reviewed - and if I ever come across another skunked bottle of SD, I'll review it, too. Please, please give the green bottles a rest. This skunkage is not a coincidence.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Dec 06, 2009

JoshFrierson86, Oct 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

It seems that Dupont sees fit to brew every conceivable saison recipe under the sun, and good for them. Saison Dupont is an absolute classic, and revivals like Biere de Miel are a wonderful thing.

I was presented with a Maudite goblet for this bottle, and the beer poured fairly normally...none of the crazy effervescence of the Saison Dupont. Color is a bit more orangey than a lot of saisons, but definitely still straw-colored, I'd say.

As for the smell...and the taste...and I can't get over this, and I will soon pick up a bottle as soon as I can find one I'm reasonably sure is from a different batch...well, I don't pick up malt or spice notes so much as I do the distinct smell and taste of navy bean soup. This is really the only way I know to describe it.

The beer is not overly carbonated, not sweet, but really not so dry either. Again, the bean thing really kept me from being able to concentrate on more minute aspects of the nose and flavor.

I feel that, for a saison, this could use a bit more spice to offset the greater earthiness of the organic malt.

lehkost, May 04, 2009

ajs4bd, Jul 13, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance- pours a hazy golden orange color, with a large fluffy white head. Good retention and lace.

Smell- Caramel and honey dominate. Slight citrus and bit earthy, light pepper.

Taste- Doughy bready caramel and honey again, are completely dominating the palate. WTF? This is supposed to be a saison. Very slight citrus, pepper, and a little barnyard I guess. But next to no funk to this.

Mouthfeel- Lighter body, yet a bit sticky. High carbonation.

Overall- Saison Dupont is awesome, and this one was well, not so much. I wouldn't really call this dry, crisp, or refreshing. Saison is my favorite style, this one was not for me, at all.

JLeege, Mar 14, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Orval chalice. Appearance was a hazy golden yellow color, and quite fizzy as well. The nose was not terribly complex: mostly yeast, with a little citrus....flavor was disappointing, consisting of grass and a little yeast.

Atricapilla, Jan 11, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

marmstrong1212, Apr 26, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

mhaugo, Aug 31, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -29.1%

Overall a simple beer. It seems more like a basic Belgian rather than a saison. This beer lacks the complexities that most people expect when drinking a saison, and is a bit over carbonated. If you like saisons or you have never had one and want a good example of one, this beer is not for you. If you've never had a saison and want something accessible, then this beer is a good choice.

Would I consider buying again: No

Kyrgyzbrewer, Dec 31, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -27.9%

Tasted an Austrailian Longneck out of a large wine glass.

Very carbonated. Poured gently, still leaves an almost two inch fizzy white head. Rather cloudy gold straw color. Strong head retention. Good lacing.

Wheat, breads and yeast in both nose and taste

Fizzy, carbonated. Medium body.

ibbjamin, Nov 09, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours a nice gold color with a "rocky" head as the bottle describes it. Aroma is subdued lemon rind and a barnyard grassy aroma.

Here is where it stops being a conscientious review and I get ugly. The beer has a flavor towards the end that I can only describe as "off". It has a respectable flavor to a point, but the finish is not enjoyable in my opinion. Maybe it is my knee jerk reaction to the "organic" ingredients, although I've had other organic brews that were quite tasty. I can't really get past this flavor so the review ends here. Its not going down the drain but I won't be seeking this out in the future. Please excuse the review as it will basically be a reminder for me to not buy again. Cheers.

sinistermadman, Mar 03, 2007

Caddant, Aug 27, 2014

SFACRKnight, Aug 02, 2013

beerbtl, Jun 23, 2013

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Straw color, slight cloudiness

Strong skunky aroma. Oh no, another green bottle. I'll try to evaluate this without that in mind. Unfortunately, I really cannot detect any other aromas. I imagine that the smell is deserving of a much better score than I can give here.

Again, the skunkiness shows up. Beyond that, this is a crisp ale with good malt flavor. Good body with very high carbonation. The aftertaste is very dry.

I'd love to try this in a fresher condition, it has hints of delicacy that cannot be perceived in this condition.

smcolw, Oct 08, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

My first Saison, so far as I know. How appropriate I sample it on the Summer Solstice, having just read the description of the style.

Soft pour results in a highly carbonated brew hazy gold in color, with a head of thin, wispy bubbles that still manage to linger a satisfyingly long time.

Aroma is reminiscent of my beloved Belgian Tripels...light, spicy, with notes of candi sugar, malt, and citrus. Alcohol in the nose as well.

Taste is...bland. Initial notes of alcoholic heat, spicy citrus give way to the sharp bite of carbonation and then nothing. Reminds of Perrier a bit. After warming the palate detects some hop, but the alcohol begins to dominate too much.

Aftertaste is clean, leaving tongue scoured and ready for another taste.

Drinkable, to be sure, but cost prohibitive. Maybe I just don't like the style? If I'm gonna pay that much I'll stick with Chimay.

Hunter, Jun 22, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

Bottle, thanks to mat. Yeah, not bad, spicy, sour, yeasty and lemony.. No real problem with it, i guess it suffred from the competition it was up against that night, but not a bad beer by any stretch, some spicy, peppery, yeasty flavours throughout, not bad at all.

rastaman, Sep 19, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy golden with huge off white head that dissipates and leave some lacing down the glass. Lots of yeast smell in this one, maybe a little funk. Taste is light with decent hops flavor. Mouthfeel is light due the the abundant carbonation. Overall I've had better, but this isn't the worst.

VanHopper69, Feb 04, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

I did not like Saison Dedont, but after reading some posts I wonder if it was skunked, so organic brown bottle…guess I like it or I don’t, no need to worry here.

Pours a huge head of white foam with lacing all over. This is some thick creamy full bodied foam, fills the whole damn glass. Yellow with a hint of orange body, dense with a lot of yeast body that looks pretty darn good. I have to say this looks tasty. Final pour fills the glass with a lot of floating yeast.

There’s a bit of funk here, but the hops and sweet banana malt finish is wonderful. This has me excited to taste.

I can’t quantify this one. Soft sweet malt like a hef, funky hops the dry the finish, and a strange stale something at the very front of the tongue.

Perfectly carbonated, creamy yet lively in body. Alcohol warms the mouth but doesn’t push beyond that point.

The flavor of this isn’t like any saison I’ve had. I don’t dislike it or like it. It really is unique and worth trying if for nothing else to try a unique flavor. I won’t be going back to this one the flavors don’t work for me. It seems like there’s an amount of stale dead flavor.

bobhits, Nov 01, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours cloudy pale orange with heavy lacing and a short creamy head. Nose is a little grassy and alcoholy. The beer is rather strong in flavor with a lot of heavy herbal and fruitiness along with some noticeable alcohols (a bit too noticeable). Mouthfeel is on par with the style. Overall, I feel it could be a bit more balanced and flavorful, but is definitely a decent beer.

aquatonex, Jan 25, 2008
3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

C&C bottle opened with a nice pop. The pour is lively with more than half a glass of head which disappears quickly and leaves heavy lacing. The nose is funky! Plenty of sulfuric/skunky notes along with heavy cereal grains and a light lemony hops. The taste fruity up front with lemon, sugar, and grain. This is followed by a mellow tartness that provides a bit of a bite. Behind the bite is more evidence of the sulfur notes which leaves an off putting flavor on the palate. Mouthfeel is high with carbonation and moderate in the body department. Overall, this Saison has funk, but the funk is not in the form that I can enjoy. This is one that I will avoid in the future.

homebrew311, Apr 05, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, a dry yeastiness and somewhat skunky. In the taste, very dry, yeasty and a small hint of skunkiness. A small bite in the mouthfeel and a dry yeasty aftertaste. Very dry and yeasty, however the small skunkiness throws me off.

OWSLEY069, Jan 18, 2008