Foret - Brasserie Dupont sprl

ForetForet

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foret Alström Bros
2.12/5  rDev -47.4%

I had this as part of the July "beer school" at Comet Cafe in Milwaukee. I was told this beer is organic, and it continues a train of disappointing organic beer experiences in my life. This beer was fairly skunky but not without its redeeming qualities.

It had a hazy gold color with lots of head composed of tiny bubles that appeared to be the product of secondary fermentation. Aroma was skunky (in a not terrible way) with some citrusness. Flavor was further skunky in a not-pleasant way and this beer had a lemonade quality at the finish and a tart mouthfeel that was palate cleansing, but also unpleasant, like an antiseptic.

I can't say I'd strongly recommend this. (677 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -42.2%

750ml corked and caged bottle (green, sadly) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazy orange-gold body beneath a lofty head of white foam; mediocre retention and wet, spotty lace.

S: Huge wave of skunk follows directly upon the removal of the cork (digression: I got this bottle as a replacement for two consecutive skunked bottles of Saison Dupont; I know for a fact that the store stores them properly, so I have to chalk repeated defects up to the brewery's ridiculous choice of green bottles; hence, I'm going to review this third bottle from them as is). Skunk fills the room and lingers far from the glass; direct inhalation from the glass only augments the torture (although it does suggest that were the brew not skunked, it might smell damn good).

T: Light spice, fruity Belgian yeast, and a richly complex aftertaste that dies away into a bitter, skunky finish. This has potential to be a truly amazing saison, but delivers only a disappointingly mixed result.

M: Smooth, medium body, and a huge amount of lively, refreshing carbonation. Very nice.

D: This is a chore to make it though, both because of the skunk and the disappointment that accompanies it. It really flirts with being a drainpour - but it does taste acceptable.

Notes: I feel kind of bad reviewing a beer I know to be off (which is why I declined to review both of the Saison Duponts that led up to this); however, upon further consideration, I've decided that importing a beer in a green bottle is just asking for skunk. Therefore, I've decided that this bottle deserves to be reviewed - and if I ever come across another skunked bottle of SD, I'll review it, too. Please, please give the green bottles a rest. This skunkage is not a coincidence.

Cheers! (1,727 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -37.5%

It seems that Dupont sees fit to brew every conceivable saison recipe under the sun, and good for them. Saison Dupont is an absolute classic, and revivals like Biere de Miel are a wonderful thing.

I was presented with a Maudite goblet for this bottle, and the beer poured fairly normally...none of the crazy effervescence of the Saison Dupont. Color is a bit more orangey than a lot of saisons, but definitely still straw-colored, I'd say.

As for the smell...and the taste...and I can't get over this, and I will soon pick up a bottle as soon as I can find one I'm reasonably sure is from a different batch...well, I don't pick up malt or spice notes so much as I do the distinct smell and taste of navy bean soup. This is really the only way I know to describe it.

The beer is not overly carbonated, not sweet, but really not so dry either. Again, the bean thing really kept me from being able to concentrate on more minute aspects of the nose and flavor.

I feel that, for a saison, this could use a bit more spice to offset the greater earthiness of the organic malt. (1,073 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32%

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance- pours a hazy golden orange color, with a large fluffy white head. Good retention and lace.

Smell- Caramel and honey dominate. Slight citrus and bit earthy, light pepper.

Taste- Doughy bready caramel and honey again, are completely dominating the palate. WTF? This is supposed to be a saison. Very slight citrus, pepper, and a little barnyard I guess. But next to no funk to this.

Mouthfeel- Lighter body, yet a bit sticky. High carbonation.

Overall- Saison Dupont is awesome, and this one was well, not so much. I wouldn't really call this dry, crisp, or refreshing. Saison is my favorite style, this one was not for me, at all. (671 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Orval chalice. Appearance was a hazy golden yellow color, and quite fizzy as well. The nose was not terribly complex: mostly yeast, with a little citrus....flavor was disappointing, consisting of grass and a little yeast. (257 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

Overall a simple beer. It seems more like a basic Belgian rather than a saison. This beer lacks the complexities that most people expect when drinking a saison, and is a bit over carbonated. If you like saisons or you have never had one and want a good example of one, this beer is not for you. If you've never had a saison and want something accessible, then this beer is a good choice.

Would I consider buying again: No (423 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -27.8%

Tasted an Austrailian Longneck out of a large wine glass.

Very carbonated. Poured gently, still leaves an almost two inch fizzy white head. Rather cloudy gold straw color. Strong head retention. Good lacing.

Wheat, breads and yeast in both nose and taste

Fizzy, carbonated. Medium body. (290 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a nice gold color with a "rocky" head as the bottle describes it. Aroma is subdued lemon rind and a barnyard grassy aroma.

Here is where it stops being a conscientious review and I get ugly. The beer has a flavor towards the end that I can only describe as "off". It has a respectable flavor to a point, but the finish is not enjoyable in my opinion. Maybe it is my knee jerk reaction to the "organic" ingredients, although I've had other organic brews that were quite tasty. I can't really get past this flavor so the review ends here. Its not going down the drain but I won't be seeking this out in the future. Please excuse the review as it will basically be a reminder for me to not buy again. Cheers. (714 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

Straw color, slight cloudiness

Strong skunky aroma. Oh no, another green bottle. I'll try to evaluate this without that in mind. Unfortunately, I really cannot detect any other aromas. I imagine that the smell is deserving of a much better score than I can give here.

Again, the skunkiness shows up. Beyond that, this is a crisp ale with good malt flavor. Good body with very high carbonation. The aftertaste is very dry.

I'd love to try this in a fresher condition, it has hints of delicacy that cannot be perceived in this condition. (544 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Bottle, thanks to mat. Yeah, not bad, spicy, sour, yeasty and lemony.. No real problem with it, i guess it suffred from the competition it was up against that night, but not a bad beer by any stretch, some spicy, peppery, yeasty flavours throughout, not bad at all. (265 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy golden with huge off white head that dissipates and leave some lacing down the glass. Lots of yeast smell in this one, maybe a little funk. Taste is light with decent hops flavor. Mouthfeel is light due the the abundant carbonation. Overall I've had better, but this isn't the worst. (294 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

C&C bottle opened with a nice pop. The pour is lively with more than half a glass of head which disappears quickly and leaves heavy lacing. The nose is funky! Plenty of sulfuric/skunky notes along with heavy cereal grains and a light lemony hops. The taste fruity up front with lemon, sugar, and grain. This is followed by a mellow tartness that provides a bit of a bite. Behind the bite is more evidence of the sulfur notes which leaves an off putting flavor on the palate. Mouthfeel is high with carbonation and moderate in the body department. Overall, this Saison has funk, but the funk is not in the form that I can enjoy. This is one that I will avoid in the future. (672 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours cloudy pale orange with heavy lacing and a short creamy head. Nose is a little grassy and alcoholy. The beer is rather strong in flavor with a lot of heavy herbal and fruitiness along with some noticeable alcohols (a bit too noticeable). Mouthfeel is on par with the style. Overall, I feel it could be a bit more balanced and flavorful, but is definitely a decent beer. (375 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

My first Saison, so far as I know. How appropriate I sample it on the Summer Solstice, having just read the description of the style.

Soft pour results in a highly carbonated brew hazy gold in color, with a head of thin, wispy bubbles that still manage to linger a satisfyingly long time.

Aroma is reminiscent of my beloved Belgian Tripels...light, spicy, with notes of candi sugar, malt, and citrus. Alcohol in the nose as well.

Taste is...bland. Initial notes of alcoholic heat, spicy citrus give way to the sharp bite of carbonation and then nothing. Reminds of Perrier a bit. After warming the palate detects some hop, but the alcohol begins to dominate too much.

Aftertaste is clean, leaving tongue scoured and ready for another taste.

Drinkable, to be sure, but cost prohibitive. Maybe I just don't like the style? If I'm gonna pay that much I'll stick with Chimay. (887 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a small white head. In the aroma, a dry yeastiness and somewhat skunky. In the taste, very dry, yeasty and a small hint of skunkiness. A small bite in the mouthfeel and a dry yeasty aftertaste. Very dry and yeasty, however the small skunkiness throws me off. (297 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

Ultimately, a sweeter version of Saison Dupont, Like they took a whole ton of cane sugar and mixed it into the recipe. Not really a fan.

My rating: 3.5 (152 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

750 ml green bottle caged and corked, with 2.004 (don’t know what the . means) on the cork. Opened with a solid POP.
Aroma: Fruity, mostly apples, with a peppery spike, Belgian yeast, and a hint of horse blanket.
Appearance: Wow, that’s some head. Billowy, fluffy, starting to condense on itself forming a rocky landscape, clinging to the sides like it’s drowning. Body is a deep gold with a solid column of carbonation at the center of my Fischer tulip glass. Left clumps of foam on the side of my glass that look like I’ll need a wire brush to remove them.
Flavor: A mild malt taste, gentle fruit and pepper tastes, with a slightly funky finish, almost a cardboard but not unpleasant. Some alcohol tastes come through as well. Overall, a very subtle flavor, and somewhat like a wit minus coriander. I was expecting a more tart or sour flavor, but I’m not getting that.
Mouthfeel: Very bubbly, light-medium body, dry finish.
Overall Impression: Nice drinkability and I can see the refreshing qualities and can admire the mostly hidden alcohol. I was hoping for a more complex flavor, something really unique to help me identify “saison” in the future. All I got now is “wit – coriander”. Went well with my summer salad, a good thirst quencher. (1,260 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

11 ozer from C'est le Vin.

Light.

In one word, this beer is just light.

It’s aromas are right on: honey, straw, herbs, citrus, wheat…but they are light. One has to strain their nose to catch them.

The taste is correct: Grassy with a well hoped bitterness and bite…but this too is too light and overly subtle.

The Mouthfeel too has the alcohol, grainy texture, and spiciness like it ought too only not enough.

This beer is just too light.

Appearance wise, I can’t complain. There is a rich light golden hew with a beautiful lasting white head.

Drinkability is quite high. This beer goes down rather smoothly and quickly.

This is a fine beer and there is nothing wrong with it. I rather enjoyed it. But really…there is no reason or me to buy this one at twice the price of the Hennepin when that Saison is so much better. (853 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

I did not like Saison Dedont, but after reading some posts I wonder if it was skunked, so organic brown bottle…guess I like it or I don’t, no need to worry here.

Pours a huge head of white foam with lacing all over. This is some thick creamy full bodied foam, fills the whole damn glass. Yellow with a hint of orange body, dense with a lot of yeast body that looks pretty darn good. I have to say this looks tasty. Final pour fills the glass with a lot of floating yeast.

There’s a bit of funk here, but the hops and sweet banana malt finish is wonderful. This has me excited to taste.

I can’t quantify this one. Soft sweet malt like a hef, funky hops the dry the finish, and a strange stale something at the very front of the tongue.

Perfectly carbonated, creamy yet lively in body. Alcohol warms the mouth but doesn’t push beyond that point.

The flavor of this isn’t like any saison I’ve had. I don’t dislike it or like it. It really is unique and worth trying if for nothing else to try a unique flavor. I won’t be going back to this one the flavors don’t work for me. It seems like there’s an amount of stale dead flavor. (1,154 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance – Light, cloudy yellow body with a giant head that went down slowly and laced the glass.

Smell – Thick, powdery mix of spices in this one. The light hops are present along with some malt, but mostly this is dominated by white pepper and other light spices.

Taste – The malt flavor is there, but again is is overrun by a powdery mix of light spices that seem to drown out the crispness of the hop flavors. There’s also a lime/lemon flavor that doesn’t go well with the ale.

Mouthfeel – Nice carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This went down slow. It’s light, of course, but dull and overly spiced. (649 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Whoa. This is one crazy beer, and I knew it from the moment the bottle was opened: very strong aromas, I have never encountered a beer that smells so much like marijuana. It was so strong and pungent, I felt as though I were in a coffee house in Amsterdam.

It pours a thick butterscotch hue with an enormous head. But you don't even have to put your nose in the glass to get the pot aromas. There are also hints of hops and lemongrass in the nose, but I had to concentrate to smell anything beyond the pot. The mouth still has a strong marijuana/skunkweed presence, though I also taste wheat and hops.

I congratulate Brasserie Dupont for such a unique brew, but I struggled getting through the one glass (I was happy to be sharing the bottle), and don't really ever want to drink this again. (836 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

I popped the cork off a bottle that had date of 2009. Poured it into an oversized Weizen glass.
Appearance: Orange center that yellows around the edges. Two finger head with very nice webbed lacing.

Smell: Sweet breads and a bit of dry green apple. Nice and earthy.

Taste: A little heavy on the bread side, this does get a bit better as it sits (and the yeast settles.) Nice hops. Simple, but good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but still a little heavier then other Saisons I've tried.

Drink: I'd go for their standard, the Saison Dupont before I'd pick this up again. Not bad, just not good enough. (593 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

Cork year says 2010 so this one it at least 5 months old.

Dark golden yellow color with a big and fluffy white head. Fades down to a more manageable size pretty quickly and stays there for a while.

Upon opening bottle the initial aroma was full of of skunky ammonia note that made me suspect a bottle gone bad. However the skunkiness quickly subsided and left behind a more familiar barnyard funk that you get in the flagship Saidon Dupont. Light honey-like sweetness and some malt backbone can be detected.

Taste was surprisingly lacking in complexity. Malts provide a slightly sweet bready character and the yeast provides some funk and phenols with a peppery note.

Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly with a medium body feel and a semi-dry finish. Overall, Foret is not a bad Saison. The funk however does seem to overpower the malts and the beer lacks the amazing diversity of flavors you get from Saison Dupont. (917 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

750 ml green champagne magnum with no freshness date to be found other than the year 2002 on the cork which I assume it was the bottling year.

Appearance: Has a hazed golden cider hue, crackling carbonation leads to a fallen head though the lace sticks around.

Smell: Raw honey maltiness, brash grassy malt and hops, and herbal / earthy phenolic, cellar mustiness and yeast aromas all over the place. Suggestions of plums and mint come to mind as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Fluffy crisp on the palate, grassy from the grain and withered hop flavour. Hop bitterness is there but seems bigger only because it joins up with some medicinal phenols and a yeasty bite. Vague spicing and more grain in the mouth. Warming alcoholic esters are in tow but not without some fruitiness in hand. Touch vinous and lemony middle to end.

Notes: A simple beer, I expected a bit more. Rough around the edges showing some withdrawn complexities. There are other Saisons out there that are better. (987 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

I had this on-tap at Max's during their Belgian Independence celebration. Served in a tasting glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy light golden color that reminds me of pear juice. There is a layer of fluffy white head that fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: Very herbal and super yeasty. There is a mild sweetness in the background.

Taste: The herbal notes from the smell are there, but the yeast really dominates. Slightly tart and just a bit watery. Not overly interesting, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: The body is a bit thin with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was a bit too watery and not very interesting. The smell was better than the taste. (700 characters)

Foret from Brasserie Dupont sprl