Foret - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foret Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Straight pour from cork-and-caged 375ml GREEN bottle to an oversized wineglass (HF stemware, yet again—hard to beat). There’s some bottling info, but I’m not sure what exactly it means (“L101010 15:21”) because to me that’d say October 10, 2010, but that doesn’t seem right. Bought this just about three or four weeks ago. Guess we’ll find out!

Appearance (4.5): The body is a cloudy orange-honey color, and very attractive, while the head pretty quickly gets up to about three or four fingers of very fluffy, bone-white foam that eventually dies out to a chubby disk of foam (looks like a very pale cookie) floating in the middle of the surfact, with an equally chubby ring around the edge of the glass. Some fat globs of foam constitute lacing in the form of rings around the glass. Very nice-looking beer, all things considered.

Smell (4.0): Classic saison. Like, the definition of. A good dose of white pepper, some coriander, apple- and pear-sweetness (but pretty subtle, really), and some yellow straw underneath for good measure. Pepper becomes more noticeable as it sits.

Taste (4.0): Nice spice and somewhat fruit funk lead the way on this beer. Not brett funk, but traditional-saison-yeast-straw-like-and-slightly-earthy kind of funk. Big difference. Spices are more white pepper, a little black pepper, maybe grains of paradise (which I could only say after having done the Ommegang tour about four times), and very light coriander. There’s a nice, surprisingly sweet, pear-like fruitiness that sustains the body of this beer, and it’s a very nice touch! Saisons shouldn’t be all spice and funk, so I dig it. The finish is medium-length, slightly spicy, slightly sweet, and JUST barely grassy in the back—well done. Just a little skunk, not bad. Nothing blows me away here, but everything is spot-on for the style.

Mouthfeel (4.5): Nice, active but smooth carbonation keeps the beer foaming and tingling as it goes down. The body is exactly medium- in heft, and it has a dry, slightly spicy finish. Very nicely done.

Overall (4.0): As with the taste rating, nothing about this beer REALLY blows me away but everything is done well, and very well at that. Classic saison, true to style (of the non-bretty varieties), and just very even-handed and well-done. Great job, can’t wait to try other Duponts in the future!

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Incredible aroma and flavor, complex and hard to believe no spices. Just can't place the aroma, maybe some kind of bread cooking?. A bit heavy for a traditional saison. Mouthful a bit heavy and creamy and I'd guess wheat but ingredients don't list it. Not a favorite saison of mine, but well made and worth trying.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pale gold haze with some sediment (perhaps I wasn't supposed to empty the whole bottle?); fat head of the foamiest foam

S: mild citrus and hops, fresh yeat and grains

T: lemony, grassy, yeasty, fresh

M: crisp, fresh, bright, clean finish

O: this was great - very enjoyable - when I hear "farmhouse ale" I imagine a warm summer day, blues skies and a red barn withd stacks of hay. This is exactly what you want to be drinking.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this on tap at the front door. A nice 1: frothy white head on a straw colored clear beer with plenty of carbination. A nice floral boquet with a hint of citrus. I like Belgian beer and Saisons, so this beer appealed to me. It was easy to drink and I would recommend this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Cork said 2008, drank 2012.

Pours a murky golden orange and thick fluffy head.

Very fruity with bright citrus, some tropical, and faint malt. Very summer like.

Taste was similar to the nose with a few added flavors. Mild spice through out. Very malty, with a yeast and wheat like grain flavor. Some citrus hop flavors. Lots of light fruit elements.

Mild to moderate carbonation. Soft feel.

Overall, very enjoyable. Would be a great summer saison. Wish the ABV was a bit lower. Will buy again.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375 mL bottle poured into a DuPont glass. This beer is in a green bottle and it was on a shelf near a big window. I tried to get the one that was the most shaded but to no avail. This has a pretty skunky aroma. It’s my fault for buying it though so I’ll evaluate after it breathes awhile. In the meantime, the color is a slightly orange-tinted gold -- totally opaque --with a towering French vanilla head. Five minutes later, revisiting the aroma, the skunk has left the building. Now it’s mainly grass, pepper, pale malts and honey. Pretty classic non-brett saison aroma. That malty honeyed aspect combined with a mild banana pith note to form the bedrock of the.flavor. It’s honestly a little sweet for me and lacks refreshing character of the garden-variety Saison DuPont. This shortcoming is reduced a bit when I pour the last of the bottle into the glass and get some yeast mixing in. Finish is dry with a touch of mineral character but there’s some residual sweetness that sticks around the back if the palate.

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours honeyed orange with a towering fluffy cake of a head. Unbelievable retention, fantastic gobs of foam as lace. Constant bubbles rising in the semi-haze of brew. Settles to a skim with an off-white foam. Nice yeast from the end of the bottle.

Yeast, some musty grain husk in the nose, a little stone fruit, a little grain and straw.

Initial sip is grain and yeast. It leads to some alcohol and a little fruit nectar, but not sweet. Fruit pit bitterness, some straw and bitter grass, some mineral. Long bitterness in a fired out pucker of the finish. Great!

Very fizzy. THe bubbles help clear the palate.

Great brew. Why some low ratings? This is a terrific Saison.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

A 750 ml bottle. Green which makes me nervous.

Pours out of control white head with a bright yellow body. Head easily goes above the glass. Lots of carbonation and chunks of bottom settlings.

Nose is funky and skunky.

Taste is back to what I expected. Lots and lots of lemon rind. I would guess an overdose of Belgian yeast. This is a rather dry beer with good carbonation. I mean lots of carbonated bite. Many other saison beers I have had lately are thicker body and sweeter. This one is a nice change. The overwhelming taste here is the citrus rind but funk is also evident. I find this beer pretty refreshing.

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - 3/5 - Using a chalice, pours nicely with a slowly fading head. Remains cloudy (Yeast?). No lacing.

Smell - 4/5 - yeasty, bready, rich and fruity.

Taste - 4/5 - light fruity sweetness like slightly acidic apples.

Mouthfeel - 4/5 - medium light body that finishes with acidic aftertaste, somewhat similar to cider, but far less intense.

Overall - 4/5 - easy to drink Belgian saison. A little scary because it is 7.5%, so it could definitely sneak up on you! I would drink this beer again, but might seek out other saisons as I can imagine a better version.

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%

Overall a simple beer. It seems more like a basic Belgian rather than a saison. This beer lacks the complexities that most people expect when drinking a saison, and is a bit over carbonated. If you like saisons or you have never had one and want a good example of one, this beer is not for you. If you've never had a saison and want something accessible, then this beer is a good choice.

Would I consider buying again: No

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

A: This beer is very inviting...Thick dense three finger white head leading to a clean, but slightly cloudy, golden straw nectar. Really looks beautiful...

S: mmmm, lemon grass...slight spice but very subdued, very mild hop presence, mostly yeast coming through with hint of summer.

T: Pretty much like it smells...except a lot more yeast character, lemon and grass. Herbs...earthy...slight tang and some mild hop flavor coming through.

M: light to medium finish, quite refreshing, lots of carbonation but has been settling out since my initial pour. I imagine sitting out on the deck on a summer day as I'm drinking this...really.

Certainly not the best Saison that I've had, but very tasty and VERY refreshing. If it were on tap at my local joint I would def drink a lot of this. I personally prefer the sour end of the Belgium spectrum, but this was still a nice buy.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Bronze color. Good effervescence. Nose of gingerbread and caramel but also hops.

Mouth hopped between cool green and pleasant light acidity of green grapes. Finish dry but full-bodied, with this little green hops persistent. Not exactly the same taste as the Blonde Moinette but always with a nice hop also as invigorating.

A product of Dupont house, that is to say a great product.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

I picked this up at Wine source -enjoyed chilled from my Ommegang tulip, shared with tenderbranson69. The cork shot off like it was fired from a weapon and left a loud *Pop*! louder than any champagne uncorking I have heard and left a mark on the ceiling too.

The color is straw golden with deep hazed translucent clarity with thick unending creamy cap, it just piles up in the glass if not poured slowly. A musty smell up front with light mown hay and herbal dank earthy green hops with some malt which gives the impression of a toasted baguette. There is a slight fruit tinge from the yeast which brings along some melon and tropical fruit. A gentle malt tinge and spice up front leads to strong hoppy notes which are mildly bitter with heavy yeast presence and light tang w/ almost vinous grapeskin type tannin with a moderately spicey middle and moderately creamy notes with light tinge of dry malt. The light alcohol and super-high carbonation add to the mouthfeel and give it some levity with pretty dry finish and so gassy it almost gave me indigestion.

This saison is tangy/spicy with mildly hoppy noble flavor with slight melon and white grape from the yeast and mild tea-like flavor with the wheat taste coming forward mid-taste which gives a slight citrus tang and hint of grassy character comes in toward the finish with slight dustiness from the yeast and an almost cracker-like malt toastiness. Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot, a very good saison with plenty of that trademark DuPont character which is very fresh and has a nice hoppy flavor with plenty of drinkability to spare, it refreshes and the dry body is something I am fond of , pretty great for the style.

3.61/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 750 ml into Duvel tulip.

Although I poured gently, the head was still huge. Took a good 5 minutes to tame down to a drinkable level. A nice cloudy golden color. Nice sticky clumps of lacing.

Huge belgian influence as expected. Some pepper and coriander along with a little bit of lemon and banana. Some slightly sweet malt in there too. Not much hop aroma. Slightly skunked.

Get the spiciness of the pepper and coriander mixed in with the sweet maltiness. A real brief tartness, but I would like it better if there was more. Like mentioned in the aroma, a little skunked. Dry, but not too dry.

Higher carbonation and medium body, pretty similar to other saisons I've had. Very drinkable and refreshing. Slight creaminess.

Besides the skunkiness, it was an enjoyable, but overall forgettable saison. Would love to try a fresh one and see how it compares. Love a little bit more spice and lemon in my saisons.

Initially, I'm a bit confused by this beer. Apparently this is just organic Saison Dupont? Seems like a whole different beer to me. No matter; here I go!

Pours a hazy medium sunny color. Bright white head, great lace and retention. Big fruity yeasty esters up front. Medium funk to it, and a slight hoppiness. Sweet barnyard. Sweet fruity yeast taste, slight funkiness. Sweet fruitiness is a theme here. Citrus filled barnyard. Medium creamy body. More carbonation can't hurt.

While I don't see the big connection here between this and normal Dupont, this is a nice, funky-fruity Saison. I'd recommend.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into schooner. Didn't see a best before date. This was at big group tasting at the beer club; everyone quite dug this one.

A - cloudy yellow beer with a HUGE white fluffy head that completely caked up the glass.

S - mild skunkiness on nose with a bit of lemon

T - nice and crisp flavor; lemon and pepper, solid but not concentrated. Some nice yeastiness in the middle and a nice enduring spiciness through the finish.

M - very light with surprisingly little carbonation; somewhat of a miracle of nature in this regard with the huge head. Strange, but impressive.

D - easy drinking and refreshing

From the Dupont family: lighter than both the Saison Dupont and Bon Voeux; an awesome starter Saison for anyone wanting to get started on Farmhouse style ales.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a cloudy, glowing gold with a thick, creamy white head that leaves a thin trail of lace all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S: Aromas of grass, straw, cream, lemon zest, and grapefruit are joined by floral, herbal hops and lactic, pungent yeast on the nose.

T: Opens tart and fruity with notes of cream, lemon zest, grapefruit, grass, straw, herbs, oak, and lactic, pungent yeast. The finish is smooth, but shorter than expected, with notes of grass, citrus, oak, and pungent yeast.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp, and lively with effervescent carbonation. Supremely refreshing and drinkable, though I felt that in this instance, the beer needed to feel thicker and more luscious.

O: This is an excellent saison and would be a masterpiece from any brewery that did not produce Saison Dupont. Compared to the classic, it is a little thinner and a little less intense, but remains an extremely solid, enjoyable brew.

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

I did not like Saison Dedont, but after reading some posts I wonder if it was skunked, so organic brown bottle…guess I like it or I don’t, no need to worry here.

Pours a huge head of white foam with lacing all over. This is some thick creamy full bodied foam, fills the whole damn glass. Yellow with a hint of orange body, dense with a lot of yeast body that looks pretty darn good. I have to say this looks tasty. Final pour fills the glass with a lot of floating yeast.

There’s a bit of funk here, but the hops and sweet banana malt finish is wonderful. This has me excited to taste.

I can’t quantify this one. Soft sweet malt like a hef, funky hops the dry the finish, and a strange stale something at the very front of the tongue.

Perfectly carbonated, creamy yet lively in body. Alcohol warms the mouth but doesn’t push beyond that point.

The flavor of this isn’t like any saison I’ve had. I don’t dislike it or like it. It really is unique and worth trying if for nothing else to try a unique flavor. I won’t be going back to this one the flavors don’t work for me. It seems like there’s an amount of stale dead flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is nice! Maybe the best blond I know.

L: a cloudy; golden look; great top with a solid top;
S: lots of smells to smell! Malt, Hemp/cannabis; touch of sweetness; spinach; flowery;
T: nice hops and malt; different taste elements I cannot describe: interesting! Wet stone (?), smoky. This a beer to explore...
M; great, round feeling, the just alcohol, all places of the mouth are being touched;
O: this is how a blond beer should be. That's why I give a 5 for overall/style.

I will drink this many times in the future. I'm sure!

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked this up mid-September but I’m wondering how long the bottle was on the shelf at the store, as the cork has “2.011” stamped on it. Curious.

Meant to share but I wanted something to pair with dinner. I’ll pass the tasting notes on later.

The bottle gave a resounding POP! once I removed the cork. Took almost no effort at all, and I was half-expecting it to shoot out on its own.

Poured into a Ranger Creek nonic glass. Yes, I’m drinking this from the comfort of my home.

Lots—and I mean lots—of carbonation on top of a golden straw-colored beverage. Took me a good 10 minutes to pour enough to drink and I still had a good three fingers of billowy foam sitting on top, like a crème brule without the crust. Some cork bits also came out. (No noticeable “corked” aromas, so I’m going to chalk those crumbs up to margin-of-error and not a bad—albeit possibly old—bottle.)

Lots of estery aromas on this one. Funk with citrus.

This has a bold effervescence that just dances on the palate. Have I used that phrase before? It’s just as appropriate here. More suited for spring than the cooling days of fall, as the palate reminds me of …well, let’s see. Some zest, more lemon than orange. Flowers, ever so slightly. A bit of damp hay. Like the first warming rains of the season, perhaps? As this is the organic version of the style’s classic I certainly expected just as much. Every bit an enjoyable saison.

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A- Hazy yellow. Thick off white head. Sea foam lacing. Some yeast haze, mild carbonation visible.

S- Candied sweetness. Belgian yeast.

T- Harsh. Belgian yeast. Clove, lemon peel, citrus, hop bitterness.

M- Medium bodied.

O- Not the best of the style by any means, but worth a try.

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%

A: pours hazy golden yellow. sediment was slightly stirred and there are a few chunkies flating. nice two fingers of foamy white head that is slow to subside.

S: fresh lemons and sweetness. belgian yeasts, almost cloying sweet, candi sugar? wheat, caramel, and dust as well

T: similar to the smell, lemony sweet, then wheat, a bit of hay and yeasty cloyingness. nothing exceptional. perhaps a bit of honey

M: thin body. slightly astringent carbonation that fades to gritty dry, little lingering mouthfeel.

O: an ok saison, easily poundable. too malty for my tastes.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Sampled on tap at Barley's in Asheville, NC.

Yellow and hazy with a dusting of white head. Lots of lacing. Aroma is spicy with a slight funk. Tastes of fruit and wheat with a slight sweetness and some funk. Very refreshing. A creamy consistency with a moderate carbonation of fine bubbles.

This is a smooth, fun, thirst quenching beer that's perfect for sunny afternoon.

Photo of
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance - Hazy and pale straw with an incredible head. The foam is puffy, white, durable, and leaves amazing lacing.

Smell - Very complex yeasty aroma that includes musty banana, grass, earth, stone, honey, vanilla, nutmeg, and stonefruit.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and mouthfilling with a nice spike of carbonation.

Taste - Just as complex as the aroma. Malty, but not sweet. Apple and other fruity, Belgian yeast esters through the middle, a bit of spice, and a dry finish that has just enough bitterness to balance everything out.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a very hazy, golden straw color with a huge, frothy white head that lingers for quite some time. Scent is extremely grassy and reeks of tart green apples, melon, and citrus. There are some lovely Belgian yeast notes as well. Not much funk to this one. Taste is initially melon flavors...then shifts to green apples, lemon, and mango. Then I get some grassy flavors with Belgian yeast and clove. Finishes dry and hoppy. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and dry. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is a very tasty and refreshing saison. It's definitely not my favorite saison, but a saison worth trying.

Foret from Brasserie Dupont sprl