Foret - Brasserie Dupont sprl

ForetForet

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAngel on 05-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Foret Alström Bros
4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Foret (aka Moinette Biologique)
750 ml bottle
Bottled 2005, delected 08/06
Medium pour and soft pour in a tulip glass

First pour was 2/3 head, second pour was a bit more reasonable with a 2 inch white frothy fully lasting head with a murky straw colored body.

Smelt of light grassy hoppiness, heavy sweet doughy yeasts, with hints of allspice, fruity esters, banana and dust.

Taste was sweet spice upfront, with light bitter hoppiness, strong sweet fruit and bread spice, that slowly mute down in an average length finish. Mouthfeel was medium-light, dry, lively and chalky.

Overall, an easily drinkable, flavorful Saison ale that nears perfection.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

On draft at The Brick Store Pub in Decatur.

I ordered a Saison DuPont but they were out. Saison Foret was available instead so I took it. It was an fantastic replacement.

Bright hazy orange gold with a dense and frothy white head. Significant fine lacing. Smells very peppery, spicy, dry and banana-ish. Odd for a saison (the banana, I mean).

Ever had Saison Dupont? This tastes very similiar (now I see that it is from the same brewery so that makes sense.) Some sweet malt, lots of pepper and spice. Banana flavors still evident in the taste. Quite dry, lots of pepper in the finish and aftertaste. Really tasty. If I wasn't there for a beer tasting, I could have stuck with this all night. This goes to the top of my saison list.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Strangely pristine summer squash gold. Shouldn't a saison have at least some visible yeast? And shouldn't a Belgian ale contain more than the occasional, fine bubble? Doesn't matter apparently because Foret has a wonderful looking lid that does the style proud. It's closer to ivory than to ecru, is impressively rocky and is so sticky that it deposits thick chunks of pocked lace on roughly half of the available glass.

The nose is bold and beautiful with loads of sweet and sour fruit and a whiz-bang yeast strain that is some kind of spicy. It's odd, but this is the second non-hefe weizen that I've had in the past week that had banana esters in the nose. A bananarific, clovey, white peppery, complex aroma. What's not to love?

Foret is one of the more in-your-face saisons in recent memory. Not one member of the flavor profile is relegated to the background. It's as if they all got together and said 'everybody's equal here, now let's go and kick a little taste bud ass'. Tart apples and pears combine with sweet banana, intensely floral hops, the aforementioned spicy yeast and alcohol. That last one is a bit too prominent, but when there's this much flavor exuberance, I don't mind a bit.

I love the fact that banana is so noticeable; it's almost like a secret ingredient that puts this beer over the top in terms of originality and multi-fruit complexity. It'd be pretty cool if Brasserie Dupont used a hefe weizen yeast, but I seriously doubt it. Whatever yeast strain they used is impressively peppery; my mouth continues to buzz long after each mouthful has gone to its reward. I'm sure the hops, the carbonation and the alcohol have something do with that effect as well.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but the mouthfeel isn't quite up to the lofty standard set by the aroma and the flavor. There's nothing really wrong with it (light-medium, generously carbonated), it just isn't special. It hardly matters though because I'm enjoying the beer thoroughly with a 'merely good' mouthfeel.

Foret is French for forest, which should be easy to figure out due to the bucolic scene depicted on the label. It's too bad that this lively little Belgian ale doesn't come in 750 ml bottles like just about every other saison in existence (or if it does, it's too bad that I ended up with this puny 11.2 ouncer) because it's a corker of a beer that disappeared waaay too quickly.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Enjoyed on a surprisingly cool summer night.

Mammoth head, four inches or so. Quick to dissipate, irregular fashion. Irregular lacing as well.

Lots of aroma here, grassy and phenolic.

Bit of clove happening in the taste here. Served perhaps a mite too warm, foretaste is almost a witbier, aftertaste estery. Maybe overcarbonated, that might be due to the temperature, estimated 55+ degrees (stored in cool basement, but room temperature).

Delightful mouthfeel, not too heavy, hides alcohol well. Drinkability is high, carbonation is to be dealt with as it grows warmer. Less so than a regular Dupont, or better yet a Fantome.

To the extent that my heart is warmed by the organic nature of the beers: Cheers to a solid saison.

3.42/5  rDev -14.9%

I have been trying a lot of Belgian ales and beers lately and this jumped out at me at the Whole Foods yesterday with its off beat label that was different from the others.

The first taste was not what I expected as the foam rose 4" and the first bitter taste made me think of Beck's on draft. The other flavors gradually appeared of malt, grains, and of course...hops.

I let it sit for a while and came back to it to see what a little oxidation would do.

Nothing happened. My surprise.

Still, it tasted pretty good and I think it would match well with pork chops or a bbq'd ham and a healthy side of greens and corn bread.

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%

I bought this on a recommendation from an employee at Hi-Time Liquor in Costa Mesa, CA. This is a beer I probably never would have tried on my own, so I commend him for convincing me to branch out a little.

This is my second Saison from Dupont. The first one was horrendous, although it could very well have been a bad batch.

Poured into a gold-rimmed Chimay goblet, this was a cloudy gold, heavily carbonated liquid with a fluffy white head that settled to a finger in thickness and clung to the sides of the glass throughout its consumption.

The smell was heavily malty with a phenol quality somewhere between a band-aid and burnt rubber. Curious, to say the least.

Flavor was as intense as my first Dupont saison, but not nearly as offensive to my palate. When it first hit my tongue, it tasted almost like a cheap malt liquor, but this sensation was quickly transformed into something much more complex: a peppery, clovey, bitter, citrusy, mentholy, somewhat metallic and phenolic concoction. After holding the brew in my mouth for another moment, I felt a layer of creaminess that was reminiscent of banana creme.

The taste of alcohol wasn't exactly disguised, but it complemented the other flavors well.

The mouthfeel was somewhat heavy on carbonation, but mellow on alcohol. The aftertaste felt strangely like I had just taken a drag from a clove cigarette with a bit of menthol...but with a much gentler and more cooling effect.

I'm not that familiar with saisons so I can't say how this compares to the norm, but as compared with other styles I've tried, this is a highly unusual beer. I'm not even sure if I like it, yet somehow I polished off my first goblet of it in less than ten minutes, and I've been writing notes as I consume it.

With my second goblet, I decided to mix in some food. I threw in some pepperjack cheese on some mild wheat crackers, and found the combination enjoyable. The pepperjack perhaps compromised some of the spiciness of the beer, but it also brought out some of the subtler elements.

I'm going to have to try some more saisons and come back to this one to truly understand what my senses are going through right now and whether it's more characteristic of the style or this particular brew. In fact, after this experience, the Saison Dupont I despised so much on my first tasting now clearly deserves a second chance.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy bronze (settles out nicely)with a 3 fingers+ fluffy white head. Great lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Apple skins, leather yeast & pepper, plus lemon as it warms

T: Sour apples, lemon, & peppery hops up front. Some fruityness & alcohol as it warms. Finshses dry, tart & lemony

MF: Spritzy & light. A little overcarbonated

Drinks pretty good, about average as far a saisons go, Goes down too easy during this colorado hail storm! A good effort, but a tad over priced $9.50 for 750ML bottle IMO

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review updated on 11/5/07

Pours a brilliant brass color with a fluffy white head, tiny bubbles rushing through the body, and ornate lacing. Smell is of light spices and yeast with a grainy malt body. Grassy hops really stand out as well as some candied fruit. Flavor is really light with an emphasis on some faint sweetness and some grainy character. Some light spicy and fruity yeastiness is there, as well as some really earthy hops and a solid finishing bitterness. Mouthfeel is moderate with a certain fluffiness to it. Bubbles are really active. Leaves the mouth just a little sticky. This is a good beer, but I'm just not that compelled to drink more and more.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Served to my on my first fathers day..it is 98 outside. Perfect.

Presentation: Corked 750ml green champagne bottle. Wasn't aware that well water could be artisanal. Freshness date not evident, cork seems to say 7-2005.

Appearance: Pours dark amber with fluffy, 3 finger, white head that doesn't quit. Yeast well in suspension, classic carbonation.

Smell: Citruis fruity, peppery spiciness. Some grassy mustiness. Belgian yeast aroma is very evident.

Taste: Light and bubbly mouth feel. Strong bitter spiciness upfront, hop bitterness quickly comes up and finished with a spicy sweet aftertaste, maybe a bit too sweet. The hop bitterness hangs out for a while.

Overall: I feel that this is too sweet and not as refreshing as other saisons that I have had. Not bad by any means.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap at the Stuffed Sandwich

A: Lightly cloudy with a dark golden color. A small wispy off white head

S: Barnyard, wheat, lemon citrus and lots of yeast.

T: More yeast. Notes of jasmine, honey, fresh grass, lemon peel and orange. Finishes with a nice bitter wash.

M: Lush carbonation with a medium body. Dry yet refreshing.

D: Definately a warm weather beer. Not bad. Jasmine flavors reminds me of summer.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

750 ml bottle served in a nice Rodenbach tulip glass, enjoyed on my back deck on a nice Friday evening...priceless. The beer poured a hazy, amber to brown color with a thick crisp, creamy white head with active bubbles, calling my name to drink them. The aroma is Beglian yeast, very earthy. The taste is a bit bitter but also has a nice sweet character with a good body of carbonation. I imagine this would go very well with Japanese food but I had it this night with grilled chicken and shrimp and it was a very good match.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Presentation: 12 ounce bottle picked up as a part of a mixed Biologique Six-Pack during a recent trip to the Dupont Brewery in Tourpes at Easter. Standard 25cl Belgo-style brown bottle sealed with a black crown cap which has a dark red ‘Dupont Tourpes’ shield on it. Main label, which is exactly per the BA Avatar, is green in every way possible, described as ‘Moinette Biologique’ with more Organic stamps of approval than known to man. Unfiltered with a listed strength of 7.5% and a Best Before Date of 06/2008.

Appearance: Hazed peach-melba body with a stiff uniform 2” off white head. Finely dissolved carbonation runs throughout and has a fresh feel to it.

Nose: Soft yet with a heavy aroma that is high in spices and hops, very Saison like in nature. Oranges and citrus rinds litter the upper atmosphere on the glass and hang around to mingle nicely with the zesty hops.

Taste: Lots of spices, peppers, yeasts and a delicate hint of farmyward funk fill the back end. Simple components in the make-up but the arrangement is complex and it kicks with a zesty finish which has a lemon/lime bite in the middle that lingers. Acidic bitterness is balanced by a smooth texture which adds to the belied complexity and fools you. But dig deep and each mouthful reveals something new. Lovely stuff.

Mouthfeel: Decent feel, high carbonation pin pricks the tongue and cheeks. The 7.5% is there, nicely supporting the flavors and aromas.

Drinkability: A nice easy to follow but beguiling complexity runs through this one, served chilled it really sharpens the hops and forces the spices against the citrus fruits with some intensity. Very refreshing with an appealing “return to” factor that is high on the scale. My little bottle did not last long at all, mores the pity!

Overall: Tasty stuff, at least fresh from the Brewery. Listed at a lower strength than the Moinette Blond and Brune and a different brewed beer in its own right. Distinctly Dupont, sort of a Spicy Hop laden Triple-Saison. It seems like it is hard to find, but well worth trying if you get the chance to drop on a bottle or two. Wish I had more.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750 ml bottle, no date evident, poured into a tulip, pours a hazy glowing apricot with a mammoth three finger off-white head which lingers for a long time, at least 5 minutes until it's subsided enough for a sip. Which isn't all bad, since the aroma is enough to enjoy on it's own, a pleasant earthy, yeasty, slightly spicey background, infused with all sorts of fruits, from mango to coconut to lemon to strawberry--it's wonderful and complex and slightly different with every whiff. Taste is absolutely brimming with that same fruitiness, a great light banquet of orange, melon, banana, berry, coconut--a slight bit of honey sweetness all giving way to a big clove and pepper spiceyness. Finishes with a lingering fruity yeast, making you want to come back for more. Medium bodied with a smooth and absolutely creamy feel, this is so easy to drink. I love the original Saison Du Pont, but this organic beer is absolutely superb, and I will definitely have to do a side by side tasting in the future.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

A - this saison pours a hazy brown, cloudy, like fresh apple cider, a 1/2 finger of eggshell white head, its a little to murky to truly see carbonation and sediment, a look at the bottom shows a great amount of carbonation

S - this has a spicy sweet aroma, like ginger and honey combination

T - a bitterness at first, with a great hoppy sweet finish

M - smooth and well balanced, a great saison

D - high, great to pound, well bodied

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours out a cloudy orange-amber color with a substantial, compact & lasting head. Nose is a dusty, sawdust-like grassy hop aroma with light fruitiness. Lots of wheat at first taste, with substantial hoppiness and a yeasty clove flavor lurking around in the background. Finishes delightfully tart and dry. Medium body with a neutral but well-carbonated texture.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Pours a light golden color with a 3 finger chynky and fluffy head. Clarity is moderate with a nuce fine carbonation bubbling up. Nose is interesting. I'm getting a lot of earthy mustyness, with lemony citrus, light orange rind, and a spicey yeast character. Initially, there was a solid hallertau hop character, but this fades and is more subtle after the beer breaths a bit. Flavor is pretty nice. Good sharp lemony sour is dominant initially, moving towards a mustyness with good orange rind, finishing with a solid blast of hallertau hop that is very herbal and lingers just long enough. I think this is a tasty brew. Mouthfeel is a light-moderate with a moderate carbonation. A good balance all together. This one works well for me. I like the hop profile on this one. The mustyness and sour tang are just enough to balance out the nice fruity and spicey notes. I'd have this one around all summer if I could afford it.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

11.2 oz bottle purchased the previous night at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA. for $2.00.

Pours a somewhat cloudy golden honey color. Aroma is organic, light spiciness, and dry. Flavor follows through, a nice grass and hay-like quality that surround gentle spices and moderately rich malts. Light honey notes. Alcohol bite towards the end isn't overpowering, but a little stronger than I like.

Overall quite tasty.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

Light peach. The aroma is fairly subtle but perfect for a saison in my opinion. It’s very fruity, spicy and highlights fragrances of cantaloupe, bubble gum, peach, caramel and clove. A bready, caramel like maltiness is evident as well. I’ll be the first one to admit that I am a huge saison freak, but this one is especially characterful. I love Dupont’s yeast which is why I am currently having a love affair with Blaugies as well. The bittering hops play a profound role in the flavor along with the slightly tart and ripe fruitiness and notes of cinnamon, orange, nutmeg, clove, toffee and caramel. A lovely saison.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Big off-white head sits atop a hazy yellow body. The aroma is slightly skunky and slightly funky, followed by insense and herbs. Herbs and spices combine with evergreen elements and some more of that skunk. It would be out of place in another beer perhaps, but hey this is Saison. And like the others, this offers its own nuances and pleasures.

So we poured this beer from the 750ml bottle.
It poured a bright golden color, with a thick white head that stuck around for a very long time. It also had a white bubbly lace around the glass. This beer was extremely carbonated. The beer had a wonderful fruitful taste that hit the tongue first. It fallowed with light hops, and a slightly bitter peppery(?) finish. It was very wonderful beer. The cork popped like a champagne, and was very enjoyable. Highly recommended....organic too!

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a hazy pale straw color with a pillowy two finger head that slowly fades to a thick cap. There's tons of lacing on the sides of my glass.

Smell; lots of farmhouse funkiness. Slight horse blanket and hay, and there's some nice citrus and honey in the aroma as well as some hints of flowers and pepper.

Taste; starts off a bit grassy with a little sweet honey, and then the lemony citrus flavors come out some. As this beer gets warmer it becomes slightly sweeter. That barnyard funk comes out more in the finish, along with a good peppery spiciness that I really like. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice crisp carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

750 ml bottle with '2004' stamped on the cork. Label states that this is, "100% Organically Grown Hops & Barley * No Pesticides * No Chemicals * Filtered Artesian Well Water * Bottle-Conditioned Saison Ale

Pours a hazy golden / yellow with a steady stream of lively bubbles resupplying the full finger collar of foam with an egg-white consistency.

Aroma is strikingly funky with notes of Brett and a full 'horsey' aroma.

Entry is extremely pleasant with nice support around the tongue from the almost perfect carbonation level. Sweetness on the front of the tongue highlights the midtaste with a nice backdrop of pickled peaches. The finish is highlighted with Brett and yeast combining to fade into total dryness.

Having many less than satisfactory experiences with 'Organic' beers, I'm very happy to report that this is a Saison that will not disappoint provided it has had the proper time toage.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. Cork says 2005. "Only organic beer in Belgium"

Pours a very hazy gold with light orange tints. A nice 2 finger head of just off-white foam forms on top, settles to a nice coating and a ring, with very nice lacing.

Aroma is lemony citrus, very bright. Great bready pils malt, coriander, black pepper, yeast, (maybe Brett), maybe fruity like mangoes or papaya. Smells last and last.

Flavor is smooth bready pils malt, citrusy lemons, coriander, black pepper, yeast, and smooth as silk. Fruits like mangoes and tangerines. Hop bitterness is definitely detectable. I love saison. Aftertaste is long citrus and yeast, spicy.

Mouthfeel is spritzy, medium bodied, with medium carbonation. There is some kind of silkiness across the tongue that lasts. Finish is smooth and silky.

I just love saison. I could drink this stuff forever. This one is right there with the best of them. It's citrusy, spicy, and delicious.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours honey gold with a small white head. Glowing neon yellow honey. Pretty.

Rich, deep smell of white pepper, clove, and banana yeast. That is a fine, firm saison.

Tastes a little waxy. Strong white pepper dominates the start, moving into a votive candle spice smell with more cloves, more pepper, hints of floral hop in the back.

It's a very creamy middle and a firm ending. This is a complete beer, very drinkable in spite of its high alcohol.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Color: Cloudy, pale yellow, like a grapefruit peel. One inch head of thick foam, nice retention.
Smell: Citrus, banana, slightly hoppy, spicy phenolic
Taste: Initially floral and peppery, very tart, not sweet, slight hints of lemon and banana, finishes bitter and spicy.
Mouthfeel: Not too thin, adequate carbonation, rich and quite smooth.
Drinkability: Lack of sweet balance makes it slightly less drinkable but hard to take points away as this is right on the money for a Saison Ale. Give it some time and the flavor starts to round itself out nicely.

Foret from Brasserie Dupont sprl