Posca Rustica - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Posca RusticaPosca Rustica

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 01-26-2003)
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tap poured

Golden yellow thin amount of bubbles

Almost cidery or winey aroma

Citrus spices and herbs taste

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

I picked up a bottle of Dupont's Posca Rustica a couple weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I like Saison Dupont and heard this was like a herbed and spiced version of that and I thought I should give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. The cork said 2012 so i suppose it's a 2012 Vintage.. Poured from a green 750 ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it's got a classy look to it and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice slightly golden yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a nice fruity aroma being the first to show up with some orange, pineapple, pear and citrus rind aromas coming through with a little bit a phenolic aroma and other aromas from the Belgian yeast. Up next comes just a slight skunky aroma that's followed by a spicy aroma with no single spice showing up the most and it's followed by somewhat lighter herbal aroma that rounds it off. This beer had a good aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with just a slight amount of sweetness with a fruity aspect still being the first to show up and it imparts the same fruity aspect that it did in the aroma with the pear sticking out the most just by a little this time. Up next comes just a slight skunky flavor that's hardly noticeable with the spices and herbs being the next to show up and they combine together to make one flavor where neither of them stick out the most and it makes for a unique finish with with just a little bit of bitterness with a dry pear, lemon zest, herbal and spicy aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, the herbs and spices weren't too overpowering and they worked nicely with the base.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, bone dry on finish, not too filling, medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel that worked really well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of Gruit, almost all the gruits I've had haven't been well balanced, but this one was with the spices and herbs being part of the beer and not completely taking it over, it reminded me of a spiced and herbed version of Saison Dupont. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, very dry on finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think a full bottle would be my limit, anymore than that and it might start to wear on me a little. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, there wasn't any aspect that was too overpowering and they all seemed to work well with each other. What I liked the least about this beer was that it came in a green bottle, it imparted just a very slight skunky aspect that didn't need to be there. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a beer like this which would be around the summer time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes beers with some balanced herbs and spices to it, if you like Saison Dupont then you need to give this beer a try. All in all I way happy with this beer, it seemed to be right in between a gruit and Sasion Dupont, i liked that. This isn't my favorite from this brewery, I like Saison Dupont a little more, but it is the best Gruit that I've had so far. Good job guys this beer was tasty and a little unique, I can appreciate it, keep up the good work.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance: Pours a tawny gold with a, wait, whoa! STOP! GUSHER ALERT! Okay, see, at first I poured myself a little 2.5oz sample and that had some foam, but nothing unmanageable. I liked it, so I decided to pour myself a full beer into a tall pilsner glass, thinking, well, this is a corked Belgian, it's probably going to need a little room to rise. I guess the tight quarters only exasperated the situation. I got maybe 5oz of beer out of the massive column of foam that filled the glass. Crazy!

Smell: Very "typical" BSPA aroma. Some sour wheat, hay, cracked pepper, and just a little sweetness. All of it subdued, as should be expected.

Taste: This tastes every bit as good as Duvel, which has earned a world-class rating, so I'm rating this high, because if Duvel deserves a 95+ rating, than so does this. Personally, I don't think Duvel deserves that rating, I'd give it more of a 4 out of 5 or something. And, to me, this gets extra points as it, allegedly, doesn't use any hops to achieve the flavor and balance, yet it tastes just like another ale that would. Unfortunately I don't pick up ANY of the herbal, spiced qualities that the label mentions. I just pick up typical belgian blonde notes - a little bit of tang and/or funk, some straw perhaps, pepper, and a fair bit of sweet, pale European malt.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew differs, for me, from a traditionally hopped ale. This gruit is smooth and coats the mouth very differently than a hopped one. There's no resin to this ale. Most people would use the term resin to denote a flavor, but until you've tried a gruit you wouldn't notice that, a typically low-hopped ale, like a belgian blonde, still leaves your mouth coated with hop resins in a way that the gruit just doesn't. My mouth is left feeling like I've just taken a mouthful of tea, even though the brew was quite attenuated and carbonated.

Overall: Unusual and yet incredibly familiar, I'd say this is the golden standard of how a gruit *should* be done. If you're trying to make a modern gruit and the herbs and spices take over the flavor of the malt or reinvent the style you were aiming for, then I feel like you've failed. Yes, I know, gruit *is* listed as its own style, but the definition varies. I tend to call it anything brewed without hops and with other herbs/spices instead. This was well done.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pale with a straw-like hue and a pearly white head that dissipates after sitting a minute.
S - Herby with a background of baking spice and savory herbs.
T - More savory herbs like rosemary, sage, juniper and a hint of lavender.
M - Medium crispness, medium alcohol.
O - Delicious gruit beer that has become my go to shift drink after a long night tending bar.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(on tap at Hopleaf, CHI - served in a snifter-like glass, probably ~10oz pour)

I've had this a few times since Sep 2012. Never really struck me as something I'd go out of my way to get. Being a herb and spice nerd, the taste of this beer, while good, offers nothing of interest to me. These were my notes, from this most recent tasting. About sums it up.

"Basically, this tastes like a maltier Duvel... oatmeal cookie melanoidins and [a small hint of its] spicing, with a mildly potent banana note... nothing really stands out spice-wise, as most of the spice and phenolics seems to be yeast/ferm[entation] derived"

The liquid is a cloudy amber, with a gummy white froth atop that falls away, leaving a spitty collar. The smell is a mix of spicy phenolics (a la nutmeg), ripe banana peel, and toasty amber malt - fragrant, aromatic, but doesn't explode out of this glass. The taste is about the same, mellow bitterness mostly from esters - does not taste quite like other Dupont beers. Soft texture, with a bit of foamy/dextrin roundness up front, light and clean finish, tiny bite, soft alcohol warmth.

Maybe if the spicing where more apparent, it would be more interesting. They should list the herbs/spices used on their Cervesia entry on the website. Otherwise, what does it matter what's in it?

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%