Posca Rustica - Brasserie Dupont sprl

Posca RusticaPosca Rustica

Brasserie Dupont sprl visit their website

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 01-26-2003)

Daveychu, Nov 30, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance: Pours a tawny gold with a, wait, whoa! STOP! GUSHER ALERT! Okay, see, at first I poured myself a little 2.5oz sample and that had some foam, but nothing unmanageable. I liked it, so I decided to pour myself a full beer into a tall pilsner glass, thinking, well, this is a corked Belgian, it's probably going to need a little room to rise. I guess the tight quarters only exasperated the situation. I got maybe 5oz of beer out of the massive column of foam that filled the glass. Crazy!

Smell: Very "typical" BSPA aroma. Some sour wheat, hay, cracked pepper, and just a little sweetness. All of it subdued, as should be expected.

Taste: This tastes every bit as good as Duvel, which has earned a world-class rating, so I'm rating this high, because if Duvel deserves a 95+ rating, than so does this. Personally, I don't think Duvel deserves that rating, I'd give it more of a 4 out of 5 or something. And, to me, this gets extra points as it, allegedly, doesn't use any hops to achieve the flavor and balance, yet it tastes just like another ale that would. Unfortunately I don't pick up ANY of the herbal, spiced qualities that the label mentions. I just pick up typical belgian blonde notes - a little bit of tang and/or funk, some straw perhaps, pepper, and a fair bit of sweet, pale European malt.

Mouthfeel: This is where the brew differs, for me, from a traditionally hopped ale. This gruit is smooth and coats the mouth very differently than a hopped one. There's no resin to this ale. Most people would use the term resin to denote a flavor, but until you've tried a gruit you wouldn't notice that, a typically low-hopped ale, like a belgian blonde, still leaves your mouth coated with hop resins in a way that the gruit just doesn't. My mouth is left feeling like I've just taken a mouthful of tea, even though the brew was quite attenuated and carbonated.

Overall: Unusual and yet incredibly familiar, I'd say this is the golden standard of how a gruit *should* be done. If you're trying to make a modern gruit and the herbs and spices take over the flavor of the malt or reinvent the style you were aiming for, then I feel like you've failed. Yes, I know, gruit *is* listed as its own style, but the definition varies. I tend to call it anything brewed without hops and with other herbs/spices instead. This was well done.

BradenMK, Today at 04:05 PM

RBorsato, Mar 04, 2014

nzerbe, Mar 09, 2013

BurnInLA, Nov 04, 2012

Mervjahn, Aug 18, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

A - hazy shimmering gold full of tiny streaming bubble topped with a four finger head of fine foam.
S - grassy, tart, and yeasty like a Saison but with some undefined(to me) spice character.
T - heavy sweet grass notes up front with a distinct citrus tart and bitter middle. Leaves a long lasting residual mild peppery light sweet tart bitter combination that is quite enjoyable.
M - ticklish crispy carbonation with a medium body and slightly dry finish.
D - fantastically drinkable if you like Saisons or derivatives of Saisons.
It goes pretty quick and if your not careful you'll certainly miss something. Very interesting, thirst quenching, and just all around plain good.

Beer4Baltimore, Oct 22, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

750ml bottle
Appearance: Golden opaque body, massive white cloudy head.
Aroma: Spicy belgian yeast and banana
Taste: Agressive bitterness, very prominent wheat flavors
Creamy lovlyness The long lasting spicyness overcomes and outlasts the bitterness. This is something made special by the aggressive bitterness (of course not by stone standards) and lack of sickening sweetness common in Belgian brews.
Drinkability: Simply amazing.

Naerhu, Apr 05, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +13%

BB 6/2009

Pouring a cloudy orange, thick white head.

Immediate notes of metallic hop, but giving way to citrus, malt & fleshy yeast notes.

The flavour profile is wonderful; malt complexity, spice & perfume, yeast, sherbet, honeydew, ginger, late macadamia nuttiness... I baulked at giving this a five, but I did wax lyrical (to my wife's annoyance)... that's good enough for me.

Feels tingly, creamy, with a long palate.

All up a superbly balanced ale; suitable for most occasions, and a joy to drink on its own. Highly recommended.

vancurly, Oct 23, 2008

afsdan, May 22, 2014

Ryan1423, Mar 17, 2012

mcphish22, Feb 18, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: (5.0)
- Wonderful cloudy yellow brew with a hint of zesty orange. Big fluffy fingers of white head which slowly settled to a light thin layer over the brew with a thick half-inch ring of lace which is hanging on to the glass.

Smell: (4.5)
- Oh damn this smells good. Herbal grassy floral and zesty hops.. lovely herbal quality, a light skunky hop which is a good skunky, lemon zest, light citrus fruits, sugars, bready grain, biscuit. Right when I cracked the bottle I was in bliss.

Taste: (4.5)
- Bready sweet malt backing, light brown sugars, Belgian candy sugars melded with a great zingy citrus flare while noticeably playing well with great herbs, grassy and zesty peppery hops... light clove and banana from the yeast, and just an overall zesty fruity touch. Solid and fantastic.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Little syrupy, drying, and cloying... also chewy to a point. This is a well carbonated if not over-carbonated brew which is medium bodied. Overall a nice zingy tingle which makes the mouth water.

Overall: (4.5)
- This is one hell of a solid beer. Fantastic really. Everything seems to be balanced so well, and the 8% ABV is dangerously well hidden. One could crack this on a summer day and want it as a session brew, one with full flavor. One of my new found favorites from this brewery.

Docer, Feb 13, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +11%

I received this beer in my monthly Rare Beer of the Month Club. The bottle looks great with a natural cork and wire cage. The label has a nice historical anecdote.

This is a hot beer! I thought I was uncorking a bottle of champagne for a second. The pour is large head of wispy foam that hangs out for a few minutes and dissipates nicely. The nose is very floral with a slight twang that is not apparent in the taste. Lots of clove, honey and spices. The beer is very nearly sweet, leaning closely towards mead territory but with a more mature taste. It is not like anything I have had before. I greatly enjoyed it, but not sure how often I would drink it due to the sweetness.

powellchristoph, Sep 27, 2011