Z Lager - The Fort Collins Brewery

Colorado, United States

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 12-06-2003

12oz bottle

Smoke From the O...wait a minute, dont get me started on this breweries label designs...

Pours an orange brown color with a medium sized peachy head. A mild smokeyness in the nose which is very dominated by a sweet malt note. Some further smokeyness in its flavor as well, again very mild. Good active carbonation helps its drinkability. A style not explored by many US brewers for a reason, this offering was average at best.

3.01/5  rDev -14.7%

Presentation: poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle with no best by date.

A: Pours a clear dark copper color, almost brown with an off-white head and minimal lacing.

S: Sweet malt and caramel. I didn't really smell any smokiness at first. After a couple of sips there is definitely a mild smoke scent.

T&M: Definitely taste some mild smokey flavor and heavy sweetness. Medium bodied with little to no carbonation. More like a bland brown ale.

After reading several other reviews I am beginning to believe I may have an old bottle. The beer is almost flat. It tastes good but the mouthfeel is almost not there.

D- I'm a big fan of smoked beers and this is another tasty one. Not my favorite, but an easy drinking one that I wouldn't mind having again. Would make an excellent tailgating/cookout beer.

3.02/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pure, clear amber with a golden hue and a small, tan head.

S: Smokey malt, campfire smoke and caramel.

T: Smoked meaty flavor, ashy malt, tobacco resin, vanilla and molasses. Vague remnants of dark fruit: raisins, figs, prunes and black cherries. Surprisingly mellow and clean finish.

D: For me, just a taster. This ain't something I'd buy a sixer of.

Value: $8.99 a sixer at my joint. On sale. Good deal I guess if you like this style.

3.02/5  rDev -14.4%

From Notes

A: Rich brown color with an off white head about half an inch thick. Crystal clear, not much carbonation. Very interesting looking beer. 3.0

S: Reminds me of barbeque. Smoke is very present, a few malt characteristics pop out, but the smoke is what stands out the most. 3.5

T: Reminds me of barbeque again, not many "beer" flavors in this. The smoke dominates this entire beer it isn't too bad though. Very interesting, the tastes linger in my mouth for quite a while. This is a big beer, no doubt about it, but not something I would drink many of. 3.0

M: Pretty crisp and carbonated. Kinda sticky though. The tastes makes the mouth feel a little thicker than it is. 3.0

D: One is enough for me. Its just too smoky for my taste. It was interesting and would pair well with some ribs, but just not my style. 2.5

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Compared to a Schlenkerla, this beer is a pretty weak smoked beer and not all that worthy. On its own, not comparing it to a real smoked beer, this is okay and not at all unenjoyable. The beer pours a clear deep copper color with some off white head, not much retention and no lacing. The aroma is more sweet malts and bready grains than it is smoky peat or charred like whiffs. You wouldn't really know that you are about to taste a smoked beer by just the aroma alone, because it is just too subtle. There are some roasted notes though.

The taste is pretty subtle too, there are some slightly roasted notes, no real peatiness that I can discern, yes there is a bit of smokiness, but nothing that makes a statement. The beer is quite light bodied, a bit carbonated, and just a watered down smoked beer. It isn't unpleasant, just not great. There is a slightly drying mouth puckering finish, but overall the beer is just too sweet, too light, and too watery to be taken seriously.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Not good. But different. Word 5

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Had this at the brewery yesterday. Appearance is a dark amber with some ivory foam, little lacing. Aroma screams SMOKE! - wood and pipe tobacco blended. Like burning leaves mixed with burnt sugar. Initial taste is of smoky biscuits, malt, crackers and not too much hops. Middle has bitter chocolate, burnt hamburgers and malts. Body is medium to light, with enough carbonation. Might be good with a barbecue meal, but on its own, I would pass.

3.04/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Served from the bottle into a standard shaker at the Pantry on 3/22/13. Pours a dark burnished orange like a worn sun-bleached oak barrel. There is a little cream colored head that dissipates quickly without much lacing left behind. The nose is off. It smells like a standard amber ale with hints of melted sugar and baked brown bread, but there is the smoke smell as well. They just don't work well together on the nose, and it reminds me more of just pure liquid smoke which is just a touch off-putting. The taste is not very smoky though. There is definitely a biscuit taste and some sweet caramel with just a touch of that artificial smoke flavor. Mouthfeel is medium. Overall this is just not working for me. Maybe the smoked flavor is more of a porter thing for me and I need to keep trying things, but I just didn't like it.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

12oz brown bottle,served into a nonic glass

Hazy,meduim amber with a coppery/brownish hue. 2"off -white thick,creamy,head. Good retention,with a few staggered bubbles rising,leaving some webby lacing down the glass.

Malty aroma, burnt carmell,sort of a hickory smoked phenolic smells,tobacco,some fruittyness of overripe apples.

Heavy malt tastes,lots of carmel,sweet/sugary,earthy, with light smokey notes throughout. Has a fruity aftertaste.

Light to medium body,tangy,leaving a dry feel at the end. Could drink a couple,not a beer i would drink all night.

3.12/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Medium brown with ruby when held up to the light. Some tan head, but is fades to large bubbles.

S: Malty and bready. With a hint of sweet smoke. Perhaps a touch of a yeast scent.

T: A nice crisp flavor, with lots of bready notes. Semi sweet, with a touch of smoke in the back. To be honest, I was expecting a bit more smoke.

M: Medium in body, with fairly high carbonation.

D: Tasty, but forgetful. A good change up, but not interesting enough to be a regular purchase. Want more smoke.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A: It pours a mostly clear copper color with a finger of cream-colored head that slowly recedes but laces okay.

S: Lots of char, caramel, and a little toast.

T: It is essentially a blend of smoke and strong maltiness. If you want a complex Rauchbier, look elsewhere.

M: It has a medium-light body with relatively low carbonation.

O: This is a tasty smoke beer but it lacks complexity and does not stick out in any way.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a deep amber color with nice red tint when held to the light. The head is less than a finger and leaves nearly no cap and no lacing. The aroma is smoky and has some hints of caramel and thick malts. The taste is extremely overwhelmed by smokiness. The bottle states the malts are dried over an open fire. This seems to overpower the entire brew. The carbonation is nice and there is some balance with hops in the finish, but it is very hard to get over the initial taste that just lingers. I am glad I purchased this as a single as I am not going to have again.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

Colored like sweet tea an evening cream tops the champagne bubbled brew....

Sweets and smoked woods hit the nose as a malty aroma breaks even and sends the senses in anticipation

Cool, calm smoke on the tongue and acrid pork, but in a good way. The alcohol is apparent in the back as it comes forth with mild hops for balance

Light bodied and wet in the mouth leaves the without any residual trace wish there were more here

A decent beer and a good introduction to the smoked variety but as a rauchbier lover I really hoped for a more intense experience

Poured into pint glass
this is labeled a smoked beer, but it just seemed like an amber lager with a bit more malt than normal.
Poured rusty brown, with a medium head that didn't last.
Smell of malt, vinegar and touch of American hops.
Taste was roasted malt, maybe some chocolate. Nothing 'smoked'.
A little flat, maybe I got a bad batch.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

I didn't even realize the name of this beer was "Z" at first, because of the way the Z is kinda more like a logo than a title. I thought my friend had just brought me a lager from out west, but turns out it was a smoked lager. Nice little surprise.

Poured out into a pint glass. Slightly hazy amber/brown, reddish tint, one thumb off-white head fades over a minute or so. Nose is liquid smoke and corn chips. Taste is barnyard hops, generic cereal grains, and metal, with a mild lingering campfire smoke. The smoke definitely comes through on the nose a lot more than the taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both average.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

I got this as an extra in a trade with Exiled. Thanks bud!

A: Deep crystal clear amber with some reddish highlights. Minimal head with some lacing present.

S: Clean grainy malts with a slight smokiness.

T: Caramel malts with a slight hop twang for balance and subdued smoke.

M: Light bodied and thin, some what watery, but with nice carbonation.

O: Glad I got to try it. There are no off flavors and I did enjoy it, but it's not something I'd seek out. I may be in the minority here, but I wish a lot of the rauchbiers I've tried featured the smoke more as a main character, rather than an extra. Maybe all the smoked Texas barbecue I grew up with has desensitized me.

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a 12oz beer into my Chimay chalice. Pours a amber red with a thin head that has absolutely no head retention at all. The aroma reminds me of caramel malts, smoke, chocolate, toffee, and a slight smell of copper pennies. The taste is odd. The smoke really comes out in flavor but not in a great way. The smoke is really mild, but it kind of sits on the back of the throat and affects every other taste. Caramel comes out and their is a slight metallic taste that follows the smoke. It's really odd. The mouthfeel is much fuller than I expected. I have drank this at the brewery many times and always found it easy to drink (might be because I had always had a flight and a couple pints) but out of the bottle is just tastes off. I remember these flavors in the draft version but not as pronounced.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Poured cloudy caramel, tan head, nice lace.

S: Malty, spicy. Not much smoke detected.

T: Here is the smoke. Like burnt malt. A little hint of hoppiness at the end, along with the woodfire taste.

M: Decent carbanation, clean finish.

D: I have a tough time drinking Rauchbiers without eating a hearty meal. This one went well with a bbq pulled pork sammie!

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

Let me preface this review by saying I didn't think the beer was bad and I enjoyed it, but when I was told by the bartender it was a rauchbier and then tried it I felt let down. Poured a reddish copper with minimal head that stuck around and died slow and left lace ring. Had a bittery, watery smell for some reason and some sweet malts but not the smokey smell I expected. Taste follows the same as instead of a smokey, bullish malt beer I get a rather lightly sweetened bitter pale ale, it seems, as a light-to-medium body passes over my tongue w/ sharp hoppy bitterness and hints of roasted malts mixed w/ minor sweet caramel. It finishes dry and was alright to drink but they missed the ball on this one.

3.19/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours dark amber with garnet highlights a fizzing yellowish head accumulates a finger in height. The retention is moderate but no lacing is left on the glass.

The nose is actually pretty strong on this one, especially for a lager, caramel malts, wood fire smoke, cinnamon spice and sweet fruits with a little bit of nail polish remover solvent. The result is something like wood chips soaked in apple cider.

Caramel malts likely also crystal, comes off as sweet and gets rather tiring. Light smoky flavors help balance this out a bit, in addition there's some noticable fruity yeast quality, apple, with spicy earthy hops for some balance on the back end. Finishes surprisingly clean.

Rather light mouth feel bordering on watery with practically no carbonation. Decent with food but not your typical crisp, refreshing lager.

A unique brew but really not what I'm looking for in an enjoyable beer. Smokey qualities are adequately demonstrated but without much of a hop presence to balance the malty sweetness it begins to get flat and unpleasant. FCB could deliver this one a bit better.

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Another new style, not sure why this isn't a Rauchbier but whatever. Hey Josh, whatcha got bitch?

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a somewhat foggy sunset orange hue with a one finger off-white head that quickly dies down to a thin layer of bubbles. A fair amount of stick remains on the sides throughout tasting. Smell consists of lightly charred wood, smoked grains, and some caramel malt. That's pretty much it in the nose, pretty basic. Taste begins with a funky sweetness followed by a very weak smoked birch. Malts and grains come forward midway on the tongue. Aftertaste has a tiny bit of smoked meats, but is mostly bland and watered down. Light to medium body with a creamy feel. Carbonation is subtle, and pleasant. This definitely isn't a Rauchbier, so I guess the classification of it being a Smoked Beer is fitting. Either way, I don't like where it's going. Nothing I would suggest seeking out, not sure I understand this beer...? I'm hoping I run across the Rogue's Smoke Ale someday to see how that one matches up.

Z Lager from The Fort Collins Brewery