Maibock - The Fort Collins Brewery

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 05-05-2004)
Reviews by PorterLambic:
4.23/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a barely clouded, light chestnut color with a middling head of. ight tan foam. Head. rops rather quickly to a thick film. Scattered lacing remains.
Smell is nicely malted with notes of wheat, wood and light hops, a mix of light and dark fruits, and some smooth whiskey. Extremely well balanced.
Taste is exactly what the nose promises, a great balance of malt, wood, wheat, hops, fruit, and whiskey.
Body is more than medium but less than full. Effervescence is lighter, somewhat smooth and, while warming to an extent, refreshing as well. This is a really good beer.

PorterLambic, Feb 08, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

The Maibock style is my favorite lager beer and I always look forward to trying new ones each spring.Poured a deeb garnet color with a frothy half finger slight off white head,rich caramel with some green apple notes in the nose,very appetizing.Lush,full,almost creamy mouthfeel,its very lush indeed.Warming toasty flavors meld into big caramel and vanilla flavors with a light alcohol sweetness zip hitting in the finish.Wow a killer helles bock here,its warming and rich but still drinkable,one of the better ones I have had.Hell yeah.

oberon, Apr 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours from the 12oz bottle into my pint glass a deep red/amber color with nice clarity. A half inch of head continually bubbles. Lookin good. Aromas of toasty, sweet bread malts along with caramel and a dark fruity aspect. I get a hint of molasses and some cocoa. Herbal hops top it off.

First sip brings a dense sweet caramel covered bready maltiness. Dark fruity tones run throughout each sip with a touch of molasses. Flows down with a mellow herbal hoppiness. Finishes sweet and malty..tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a nice big malty body. Fills the mouth nicely. This is a tasty bock that will satisfy the malt craving. I could see myself putting a few of these back without a problem. Yet another tasty brew from the folks at Fort Collins. Thanks to Crosling for the opportunity.

orbitalr0x, Jul 29, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Maibock poured a hazy copper-orange with a creamy, off-white head that went down to a thin layer.

It's aroma was sweet caramel malt and some spicy smoke.

The taste was grassy, caramel malt initially with a smoke finish. I thought it was a little too sweet. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied.

Overall, I thought it was similar to their Marzen, but not quite as good.

Beaver13, May 05, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Jason, Apr 19, 2013

Beer21, Aug 17, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

Since I expected a Maibock, the dark, toasted golden-ruby was a bit of a suprise. The buttery patchwork lacing retreats to skimming then sticks around.
Aromatic of jellied figs, candied yams, and green, nutrient-pumping stems.
Begins with a stanch candied sweetness that suggests brown-sugar glazed plums, bing cherries, grape bubblegum, and a preserve (or Fruit Punch) made from figs, pineapples, and dates. The sweetness, while heavy, is never overencumbering, juxtaposted against a studly (and drier) grain beard of toasted rye. A small befuddled moment right in the middle, as a lightly lactic yeast gradient struggles out and seems misplaced, as the caramel-glazed dark breads, and following stalky grassy hops work to conceal it. They do a good job at it.
Medium in all mouth-related aspects. Modest in texture, modest in carbonation. The style is well modelled here.
It on a short list of Bockbiers that truly impress. And sitting with Sprecher's Winter Brew, Elysian's Pandora's Bock, and Tabernash's Ryebock...um, it's in pretty remarkable company. For a style that gets no love, this is pretty special.
And to think....I was pissed when I realized that this was no Maibock.

cokes, Jun 20, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

Bomber split between my friend & I and poured agressively into two pint glasses.

This maibock pours a semi transluscent toffee amber color with a two finger off white fluff head that takes a minute to receed. Not a bad looking brew, nothing seductive here though.

Smell is beautiful! Roasty caramel malts & toffee cream. Very candy like sweetness in the nose. Delicious.

The taste was a let down though after such a nice aroma. All those flavors I picked up in the nose were muted. I wondered if I had served it too cold (I served at roughly 45 degrees), so I let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Flavor profile did not improve any - anticlimatic.

The feel was descent, just a bit too thin for my preference. It was carbonated well, clean & crisp - but I was expecting a bit more thickness to compliment the toffee caramel flavors.

Got this bomber at Total Wine & More for $6.99.

hoptualBrew, Jul 05, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +4%

It is a huge pleasure to review a bock from a brewery that has thrilled more than a time or 2; cheers Bitterbill for sending this to me!

Pours an effervescent copper (too dark for the style IMO) with 3 fingers of tan colored head. Traces of lacing & zero head retention

S: Bready, brown sugar, pears & apricots

T: Brown bread, toffee, pears & a bit of apricot up front. Apple peels, brown bread, dryness & a touch of booze as this warms. Finishes dry, fruitty with leafy hops & a touch of persimmons

MF: Medium bodied, slightly over carbonated, becomes thicker once warm, nice warming sensation

Drinks pretty easy, but you can feel the abv creeping up on you. A weak sister compared to prior Bock offerings from FCB, shame, SHAME on on you! I think I see why thse guys aren't making inroads in Kansas, OK or MO they have released great beers & then got chincy/wimpy about following up on success...

russpowell, Jun 09, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +23%

Thanks ColoradoBob for a chance to try this brew.

A good Bock is a rare thing. Don't get me wrong, plenty of breweries make a bock, but very few do it *well*.

This is definately a well done Bock. Mmmmm.

Lots of rich malty flavours here. It has a definate maple character with light, debittered chocolate malts rounding out the back. Spicy noble hops then swoop in to clean out the back, keeping the beer from being cloyingly sweet.

An excellent brew. Most delicious.

shbobdb, Apr 17, 2006

A - Pours a deep brownish-amber with one finger of light tan head that dies down to a minimal cap fairly quickly.

S - Sweet, toasty, slightly smoky malt aromas up front with tones of caramel and toffee coming through. Very subtle dark fruit aromas and a touch of yeast in the background.

T - Toasted malts with a hint of smokiness come through first, lending some sweet caramel and toffee flavors. Mild, spicy and slightly floral hop bite lends a bit of bitterness and helps to balance out the sweetness. Finish brings more rich sweetness and leaves toasty, bready malt flavors lingering into the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied with a lighter carbonation that lends a very smooth, easy drinking feel.

D - This is not a style that I'm very familiar with, but I enjoyed this offering quite a bit. A tasty, malt-centric brew that maintains a nice balance while showcasing some nice flavors An easy drinking beer that I wouldn't mind trying again.

GarrisWH, Mar 17, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

This has been sitting in my fridge for a while after making the flight from Fort Collins, but I think I've taken good care of it.

A: A deep copper color with a nice off-white head.
S: A strong, malty aroma. Hints of brown sugar, grass and hops, along with a slight sweet corn smell that may or may not be diacetyl.
T: Very malty upfront. Again some of that slightly buttery corn seems to come through, but while diacetyl is inappropriate for the style, the flavor actually compliments the assertive maltiness of the brew. The bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying. Just a hint of roast malt catches the palate before the beer finishes with a smooth bitterness.
M: Full without being chewy. Nice carbonation keeps the beer from getting too heavy.
D: Very drinkable. At 6%, it's big enough to give you full flavor but not so big that you have to stop at just one.

Overall, an excellent Maibock. I don't remember tasting any diacetyl-like flavor when I drank the first bottle straight from the brewery, so I didn't deduct it from my score for this bottle. Nonetheless, even with the slight buttered corn flavor, I enjoyed finishing the bottle.

Windigstadt, Oct 17, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A: A dense macro-bubbly effervesce rises in uniform at a fairly rapid rate inside a tarnished burgundy coloring. The head is slight, whispy in character, and ivory in color, and overall mostly lasting. A thin spongey and spotty coverage is evident of lacing.

S: Light dried apple skins and a lightly toasted character of caramel grains. Overall fairly consistent per style.

T: The flavor opens with a fresh fruity nature of apple-caramel grains. Nice deal of maltiness and alcohol provides a slight warmth. Just the right amount of fresh herbaceous hops balances out the sweetness. The finish finds a nice dry touch of apple skins and toasted grains. Good deal of hops per style but is balanced rather nicely.

M: active of carbonation, malty with a light honey consistency. Finishes off the tongue with a dry fruitiness and good deal of herbaceous hops.

D: Good level of drinkability and just right for the start of spring. Solid by example, fans of style would want to check this out.

beerthulhu, Apr 08, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

pours dark ruby red brown with a big 2 finger off white head left spotted lacing

smells of carmel malts light grassy hops

taste is good - carmel malts with a good amount of hop bite

mouthfeel light ok carbonation very smooth and creamy

drinkability is good - dont let the dark color fool you - drinks like a bock and a tasty one at that

edit from my 1st review i served this beer too cold and that killed most of the nose/taste - good thing i bought 3 bottles

jsh420, Mar 14, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into tall pilsner
A – A clear reddish deep copper color with a large off white head, scattered decent lacing on pour recedes to a lumpy pillow, good lacing while finishing the bottle 4
S – Malty, milder herbals, with dark bread sweetness 3.5
T – Lots of toasted malts, caramel, a nice grassy bitterness, mild notes of chocolate & vanilla. Long finish/aftertaste is bready & sweet 3.5
M – Moderate body with a large rich mouth feel that is very smooth and carbonation is spot on 4.5
O – Nicely drinkable and good tasting but not a personal favorite, glad I tried it and I need to drink more of the style before coming back to this 3.5

rsdaugherty, Jan 24, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info but this was just re-released after 2 year hiatus so it's fresh. Was a rich garnet color with very slight carb streams. It had a small head that quickly settled into a good collar with a few wisps of film. Decent sheeting with none sticking.

The aroma was sweet and toasted malts, toffee and some fruit. Good but on the weak side. The taste follows the aroma closely. Sweet malts start off with toasted elements coming quickly after. The finish had a bitter almost burnt quality to it that knocked the score down a bit and also hurt the mouthfeel. Besides the bad after-taste, the rest of the mouthfeel was good with medium body and light carbonation.

Overall, a good maibock that is middle of the pack in the style for me. Mild recommend if you can easily get. Rotation - not avail here in TX so shipped back from my CO trip. [N;N]

TexIndy, Mar 29, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

jaydoc, Nov 16, 2013

tfidler, Mar 03, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a nice dark amber with a 1/2 finger head that mostly dies.

Smell is of dates, prunes and smoky flavors. So far as I know, this is not smoked, but it does smell of such flavors.

Taste is similar here. Prunes, smokiness against a caramel background. Smoky. I like it. I could see this being disliked by many, but there is a ton of flavor here for a 6.3% beer.

Mouthfeel is actually quite nice and the drinkability is good.

Recommended. A different beer for sure - it may not fit the style, but I enjoyed it.

rallison, Mar 01, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked a bottle of Fort Collins Brewery's Maibock a couple weeks ago for $5.70 at Cork N Ale. I enjoy Maibocks, especially this time of the year and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I like the design and since it's a bock it's got a goat on the label, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice darker amber color that took on more a darker ruby color when held to the light with a fingers wroth of bubbly light tan head that quickly faded to a thin bubbly ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This beer wasn't that great looking, the color was more Bock like than Maibock like and the head, lacing and retention were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered one being highly sweet and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, caramel malt, caramel, light toffee and some light toasted malt like aromas with some doughy yeast and light brown bread aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes the dark fruits which impart some red grape and raisin like aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but just like the appearance it was more bock like than Maibock like.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's on the border of being highly sweet and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the sweet malts, caramel malts and caramel flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some of that doughy yeast and brown bread like flavors followed by some dark fruits which impart the same red grape and raisin like aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with some more sweetness and it had a malty and raisin like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but again I felt like it was more like a bock than a Maibock.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, a little sticky, rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it was still more similar to a Bock than a Maibock.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a good example of a Maibock simply because it lacked the key aspects that make a Maibock different from a regular Bock and the way it stands I found this beer to pretty similar to a Dopplebock, it's not bad, just not what I expected or wanted at the moment. This beer had a nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, a little sticky, rich, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, I think I could drink the whole bottle, but I would rather split it with someone. What I like the most about this beer was the drinkability, I thought it was smooth and the sweetness wasn't too out of control. What I liked the least about this beer was that I found it to be much more Dopplebock like than Maibock like, there's no way I would be able to guess this was a Maibock if I tried it blind. I don't think I would buy this beer again especially if I was in the mood for a Maibock and I wouldn't recommend it as a good Maibock simple because it isn't one. All in all I was let sown with this one, I was expecting a Maibock and instead I got a beer that was very close to being a Dopplebock and it just wasn't fulfilling as a Maibock. It isn't my favorite Maibock and it's one of my least favorite beers from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, I think you need to go back to drawing board with this one.

StoutHunter, Apr 25, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

1 pint 6 fl oz bottle served in a whiskey sampler, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent amber/red color with a soapy off-white head of two fingers. The retention is decent and it leaves a nice lacing as it recedes.

S - Heavy caramel malt and cherry nose, with subtle floral and citric hops notes. Better than expected.

T - Caramel, sweet candy, cherry meddle as they finish a bit bitter. Fruity yeast esters play throughout. A bit sweet and a bit watery, but built really well overall.

M - really smooth and really wet. Medium bodied. Could stand a bit more carbonation.

D - I'd have this one again. It could stand to be a bit more balanced (read bitterness), but it's a good example overall.

blakelive784, Dec 24, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Wow color me impressed, let's start there... a gorgeous dark amber color with a creamy silky foam head which quickly dissipates probably due to the heat in the room right now, wait is that how carbonation works, anyway...
The aroma is malty with prune and fig notes, sweet but not cloying sweet, maibock sweet, and of course caramel. The taste is very nice, caramel up front with a nice touch of dark fruit, and some good German yeast notes in the background, not over-powering by any means (I hate too much yeast taste in my beers). Medium body, a well rounded, complex brew for the style and ABV. So much going on, really enjoy this beer more and more, wish it wasn't almost gone. Thicker tasting than it looks and thicker tasting compared to most Maibocks if that makes sense. I can't say anything bad about this beer, worth the low $ tag and worth seeking out. Prost!

claspada, Jul 30, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

BigRedDog, Aug 06, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +4%

Reddish amber. Large bubble froth holds, and lounges around in lacey rememberances. Rich fruit aromas, prunes and plums. Toast.
It's oddly woody... Big bubble bite. Smokey sweet. Big spicy bread. There's nothing to hang my hat on here, but it drinks fine.

Addendum: (May 20) I'm still drinking this, and liking better and better. Dried mission figs covered in apple butter and topped with carmelized brown sugar... I think this is quite tasty.

2006:
Froth isn't outstanding. It rises above very fine beads of carbonation, and takes a rocky road quickly. Soon it's gone like a dusty cloud following a primed old car.
Smells of caramel and molasses, fresh earth, and date pudding with oatmeal struesel.
The flavors are so reminscent of the aroma... Also, sorghum, burnt black plums. For being so sweet this finishes with a nice dry bite of hop bitterness and carbonation sizzle.

pecan pie and butterpecan ice cream!
maple creme in dark chocolate!

gbontrag, Apr 10, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a copper honey color with a rich, thick creamy head, nice retention but it fades fast. Leaves sticky lace walls.

The aroma is of toasted malts, bready, toffee and caramel and honey tones with vanilla notes and hazelnut hints.

Candy-like sweet and malty, full of honey and rich caramel, toffee, cream, and toast. Hints of hazelnut, vanilla, and a touch of alcohol burn.

Slight pleasant burn with a rich, thick, syrupy, slickness on a medium body. Creamy and smooth.

Overall an excellent beer.

JayS2629, Aug 29, 2011