Chocolate Stout - The Fort Collins Brewery

American Stout |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: gbontrag on 11-18-2004

Reviews: 476 | Hads: 1,039
4.77/5  rDev +37.1%

Appearance: Very dark almost mistaken as black but very appealing.

Smell: Has chocolate and coffee aroma's.

Taste: Very chocolatey taste more so than most chocolate stouts I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: A little grainy but still went down well.

Drinkability: It was hard for me to put it down.

4.58/5  rDev +31.6%

Got this during my recent Denver trip and had it shipped back. Also tried at the brewery in the tasting room. Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating system into a pint glass. It poured a deep black even when held to the light. It had about a finger of tannish foam that settled to a nice thick constant foam with good lacing. The smell was chocolaty with a nice sweetness. It really reminded of a milk stout instead of an American Stout in smell. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy with a smooth finish. The taste was exceptional! From start to finish and front to back it had a great stout taste that for me nailed it. Some may want a more aggressive stout but this hit the spot for me. If this were available in Texas, I'd have a constant 6ixer around. Oh well, guess my buddy in Denver will be doing a little shipping for me. Highly recommend especially if you like milk/sweet stouts like me. (4.5, HR, T, Y)

4.54/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours thin but opaque with little to no head. Has a very nice roasty aroma. Flavor is clean and dry, with lots of pleasant roasty toasty goodness in the finish. Big beer snobs take note, this is much more of a dry stout than a big thick impy. I find it to be extremely pleasant and drinkable in the way a good, mellow dry stout should be.

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

This one happens to be available year round in my area and has become a staple in my beer cabinet. Maybe I'm a little biased on it but I certainly think it deserves a higher rating then I see here. I think it is close to excellent for a chocolate stout. Maybe it is downrated a bit since it has a relatively low ABV for a stout and that's OK, just means I can drink more of them before I fall down...

4.45/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a 2 fingers+ tan head that settles to a 1/2"head. Good lacing and head retention

Smell: Bakers chocolate and graininess

Taste: Chocolate, roasted grains, coffee notes and bitterness. Dry/sweet finish

MF: Nice and rich with slight overcarbonation

Very drinkable despite all the flavors dancing in your mouth. Tasty beer could pass itself off as non chocolate without much trouble IMO

4.39/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours a dark, opaque chocolate brown with a fairly thick and somewhat persistent cinnamon tan head. Aroma is rich, smoky, oily and chocolaty with hints of molasses and coffee. Flavor is smoky and chocolaty, slightly sweet, touched with fine roast coffee and molasses. Thick texture is smooth and fizzy, quite lively.

4.37/5  rDev +25.6%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, one finger thick tan head that lowered to a lacy cover

S- Chocolate malt, coffee beans, little hint of vanilla

T- Dark chocolate, creamy, black coffee, woody, slight smokey flavor

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, silky, dry finish

D- Worth buying again

This beer is not very complex and also not too overpowering as some stouts are. Definitely a good American Stout in my opinion.

4.35/5  rDev +25%

pours nice and dark as you would expect from a stout, leaving but a finely bubbled carmel colored ring which laces the glass.

Smell is pure chocolate, with a bit of malt and hop.

Taste is chocolate, coffee, roasted malts with a slight hop dryness to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy that lasts and lasts.

Finish is creamy, and completes with a nice dry hop sting which cleans the pallette, leaving no aftertaste.

It is nice and rich and full, not watery at all.

This is one great brew worth trying. An excellent sweeter stout. If you see it, you've got to try it!

Note on stouts: I've got a lot to learn. I used to think that Guiness was it. Nope - there is a lot more to it than that. I hate Guiness, but am learning that there are many SWEET stouts out there that are just glorius. This is one. If you don't like guiness, but want a rich beer, try this - don't be afraid of the word "stout"!

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Too me, this seems a cut above most of the stouts I've tried. Yes, its nearly black. Yes, it devlopes a thick, persistant head. The nose is inviting, the mouthfeel pleasing. Best of all, it tastes as good and maybe better than any of dozens of stouts I've tried. Roasty, sweet, and with a bit of a bite.

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Appearance: Deep brown to Black with a 1/2 inch creamy looking tan head.

Smell: Chocolate and mocha, raosted malt and toast.

Taste: Bitter sweet chocolate and toasted malt give way to a sweet coffee and hefty toffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very fine carbonation and an almost creamy texture. Very mild hop finish.

Drinkability: Very good for a stout. The best flavors and aromas linger nicely but the bitter qualities fade away.

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Whoa, solid pffft when opened. Pours a 1.5 finger dark brown head. Slightly fizzy that settles to a hanging layer. To light, beer is clear super-dark mahogheny with brown edgings. Smells like a super-heavy brown ale with williamette hops. Sweet malt over drying chocolate blended elegantly with gentle roast. Touch of vanilla or cream.

Tastes mild sweet with some chocolate and a more dominant roast dry. Bit of molasses or dark fruity character under the stoutish characters adds an interesting complexity. Actually, I think it may be a wood-smoked malt. The drying roast is definitely the main player, but there's quite a bit going on here. Burnt character like the skin from a torched marshmellow.

Md-thick body when sloshed in the mouth, likely due to dextrines. Dries in the finish due to the roast contributions and an alcohol that just reaches into my perception (I'm not particularly sensitive to alcohol). I could easily go for another.

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Dark brown/black in color, with a thick head of tan foam.
Aroma-Roasted coffee and chocolate notes
Taste-Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, nice underlying hop bite stays on to the finish. Smooth, roasty, tasty. A great match for any grilled beef. A must for lovers of flavorfull stouts or robust porters.

4.32/5  rDev +24.1%

A-Very black with some ruby hues. Minimal tan head, that dissipates very quickly.

S-Good nose on this one. It smells like dark chocolate, roasted barley, and some espresso.

T-A touch of hops in the beginning, and then the chocolate malt flovor rushes in. A slight lingering aftertaste, but it is very pleasant.

M-Slick, not thick like other stouts I have had.

D-This beer is very drinkable. I only purchased a single, but I plan on drinking this again.

This beer really surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed it. This beer made it official, I am a lover of stouts.

4.32/5  rDev +24.1%

A black, brown ale that is opaque. No head after a short period, but what started with fluffy and light tan until it fell away completely. Singular roasty nose that is clean and light, which continues well through the mouth plus a smooth grainy taste in the center (oatmeal??). Sweet initially with a dry finish. Good, solid stout that is smooth becuase it's just a little light in the mouth. Good choice. I'd get it again.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

The chocolate reaches your nose as you raise the glass to your lips. It's authentic, like a chocolate bar, and at just the right level of aroma - it doesn't scream CHOCOLATE!, but it's definitely noticeable. And that's true for the flavor as well. All too often the chocolate is overdone in these kinds of beers, making a big splash at the outset, but then hurting drinkability in the end. That's not the case here. This is more of a stout infused with chocolate, as the stout character remains completely intact, hops and all. The chocolate just gives it a little bit of extra character across the middle, and a bump of sweet chocolate at the swallow. It lingers pleasantly in the finish, and then fades fairly quickly, leaving behind a mild, roasty bitterness. It's very nicely done! Very well balanced. It may or may not be the best chocolate beer I've ever had, but it is without question the most drinkable! Worth seeking out.

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%

A: Dark brown color with a light brown head. Very little lacing.

S: Roasted malts and coffee/chocolate. Very pleasing.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate with roasted malts. Very expected flavor. As it warms, more sweetness comes out in the flavor, in addition to some fruity citrus tones.

M: Medium body, much lighter than I'd like for the style. Light carbonation. Very creamy texture, especially once warmed.

O: An enjoyable stout. It's not the best, and it's not the most memorable, but I still really enjoyed it. So I can't complain.

4.28/5  rDev +23%

This is a bit of a one trick pony,but it's a really cool trick. I have to agree, the base is as close to a Porter or Brown Ale as a Stout. However,the TRICK is how the chocolate somehow merges first with the up front smooth Malt set, then with the follow up hops surge,in such a way that that chocolate CHANGES.

Look....Opaque, very dark brown. Thick one finger head and ample lacing. The head isn't big but is durable.

Aroma...might come up more if warmer. Rather muted scent of roasted malt,a trace of milk chocolate and a little vanilla. A deep sniff catches some hops + alcohol.

Later and warmer the malts are a little more defined.

Taste....Leads with the malts and a nice milk chocolate that's there yet not overdone so it's more cold cocoa than beer...but....and here's the whole concept of this brew,a pretty snappy hops mx steps up,replaces the malts and the chocolate stays, but merges just so,and the effect is the Milk Choc has transformed into a bittersweet dark chocolate.

This does not hit you with a Big Imperial whop. As others note, it's almost too mellowed + hopped to fit the idea of a stout.

Whatever, it's cleverly done and it really does taste good with a fine balance and good finnesse.

Mouth Also shifts as there's some full creamy leadoff that thins out as the hops step up and you get some carbonation.
That goes well with the transition the malt-chocolate-hops do on the flavors. Very lasting aftertaste.

Drinkable? Yeah...real drinkable. It's got something for the BA hardcore,or the casual drinker. It has plenty iof flavor yet isn't just a "sipper". It works well cold. The price is mainstream. I could see a Hop Happy beer geek having his big tingly IIPA and a few of these as a nice bit of variety in the fridge. It ain't KBS but it ain't $6 a bottle either.

At below 6%,you get flavor that works COLD (or warm) and so 3 during a baseball game? Yeah, I can do that.

4.27/5  rDev +22.7%

Fort Collins Chocolate Stout

Appearance: dark brown, medium-small head, and some lacing.

Smell: sweet chocolate and rich malts.

Taste: hops, chocolate, and a faint malt grain.

Mouthfeel: medium.

This has a nice aroma and even nicer taste. The hops and chocolate mesh well and also balance it out.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Nice addition to a variety case!

A - Man do I love a viscous black pour. Actually see through if you pour it just right. Slight head but great lacing.
S - Faint semi-sweet chocolate and coffee tickle the nose with slight hops.
T - Again like the Double the roasted barley really is strong but not too strong so bitter chocolate was the main play along with a bitter hoppy finish. Mostly like a coffee.
M - Very light and refreshing. Very drinkable in succession.
D - Well I have 3 more and it really is as close as I expected for a Fort C beer to get to chocolate taste. This milder version I enjoyed better because it balanced the coffee and chocolate malts rather than double them to make them unbearable. Very nice brew.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Wow. My first chocolate stout, and I must say, I LOVE IT!!! Let me tell ya first WHY I bought it! (I do like stouts, but never had the choc. variety) This is usually like $35 a case, or so, right? Well, my distributor had it on a "sale rack" probably 'cause the sell by date was getting close. SO, I got the damn case for $18.99!!! Miller Lite ain't that cheap friends!! I figured "what the hell" and I gave it a shot. SOOO glad I did. This stout is SOOO smooth, and wonderful. Smells of chocolate malt, and tastes much like that, although it has a roasted malt taste at the end.(Almost coffee-like) Very nice. This is SOO much better than Guinness, it's sad. I highly recommend, even if you just have a chance to get just one after dinner somewhere. It's a treat, and a velvety-smooth dance on the tongue! Nice job, Fort Collins. OH, it's not TOO heavy, a bit "thin", but full of flavor...SO, one could polish off a few of these in a sitting without having to unbuckle your belt! Enjoy...cheers...AND SAAALUTE my BA friends!

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

A - Pours a black color with a tan head roughly 1 finger in width that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a decent lacing.

S - Has the aroma of roasted malts with hints of chocolate.

T - The hops are present in this stout, but are balanced out nicely with flavors of chocolate and roasted malts.

M - A crisp, full-bodied beer with medium carbonation; very easy to drink.

O - Not my favorite stout, but nonetheless a good stout. It has an easy drink-ability with great taste.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

A - nice very dark ruby color with a strong creamy/brown head

S - sweet roasty and some chocolate aromas

T - nice sweet and roasty with some chocolate feeling and flavor some raisin flavor as well

M - nice medium body goes well with the taste

D - very pleasant and drinikable

Preface: This is my first Chocolate Stout

Appearance - As dark as the blackest night with zero light penetration and adequate lacing and head retention

Smell - Aromatic blissfulness of chocolate and perhaps drizzled caramel, jutting from a roasted smokey bean all tied together in a beautiful onslaught of malty goodness

Taste - Brilliant pockets of malty roasted coffee and chocolate dance across an earthy wood flavor to end with an uniform snap of alcohol

Mouthfeel - Density is not what I expected from a stout; however, it just lays across my tongue in an effortless manner that continues enticing me to take another sip; I can't put my finger on the exact feel I am getting, it has ample moisture release with phenomenal smoothness

Overall - Synergistic qualities of the coffee/chocolate and alcohol mesh into a elegant beer (if that is possible from a stout)

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

Dark brown out of the bottle, with a hint of red. Cocoa foam fades after a few minutes, leaving some lace. Nose is roasted grain, chocolate overtones, yeast and coffee. Initial taste is sweet, but finishes with a semi-sweet chocolate that is interesting. Just enough hops to keep this stout from being cloyingly chocolaty. Finish is nicely dry, leaving a whole wheat bread aftertaste. Carbonation is gentle, just right. Body is slightly thick, but goes down easy. A good comparison would be with the standard: Young’s Double Chocolate Stout – with which Ft. Collin’s offering compares favorably.

4.17/5  rDev +19.8%

tone77 has managed to send me down an unexpected dark road on Thanksgiving. He dropped off a mess of bottles on our last trade and I am just getting caught up before his next anticipated trade.

It all got me to thinking about what is referred to as "getting some strange", but if you have not embraced the dark and split the black oak, then you may be unaware of what you are missing. Take a hint from the bottle: "A velvety smooth mouthfeel and impeccable flavor make this stout positively seductive. Subtle hop bitterness evens out the character of roasted barley and chocolate malt in our proven classic." Plus, the Incan (?) doll proffering said beer on the current label? Read you lima charlie, o&o. Black is beautiful and Tan is grand! Gimme!

My bartender buddy, Moe, used to say that I took my coffee like my women - hot & black and the sooner the better. Ah, yes. This beer poured fast and back and gave some serious mocha head before moving on to more important things, like the nose. It smelled like Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate and I was thinking of several special treats that I might like from a chocolate stout. Color was a dense deep-brown, not black, but what actually is solid black other than carbon? Mouthfeel was, indeed, velvety smooth, like Marvin Gaye on the turntable. Let's get it on! The lacing was thick and sticky and I was licking my moustache like the flavor saver it had become. The taste was of liquid dark chocolate, no sweet nonsense here. Man, this was cacao being ladled out by one of Montazuma's girls and I was lapping it up like it was going out of style! Finish left me spent and sleepy. Hey, who's going to clean up that mess?!? The sticky lacing left behind in the glass, I mean. I think that I may be compelled to buy a certain young lady a drink come Sunday. Yo, ya feel me?

Chocolate Stout from The Fort Collins Brewery