Chocolate Stout - The Fort Collins Brewery

Chocolate StoutChocolate Stout

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: gbontrag on 11-18-2004)
4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

Nice addition to a variety case!

A - Man do I love a viscous black pour. Actually see through if you pour it just right. Slight head but great lacing.
S - Faint semi-sweet chocolate and coffee tickle the nose with slight hops.
T - Again like the Double the roasted barley really is strong but not too strong so bitter chocolate was the main play along with a bitter hoppy finish. Mostly like a coffee.
M - Very light and refreshing. Very drinkable in succession.
D - Well I have 3 more and it really is as close as I expected for a Fort C beer to get to chocolate taste. This milder version I enjoyed better because it balanced the coffee and chocolate malts rather than double them to make them unbearable. Very nice brew.

DrDemento456, May 25, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Dark brown color with a light brown head. Very little lacing.

S: Roasted malts and coffee/chocolate. Very pleasing.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate with roasted malts. Very expected flavor. As it warms, more sweetness comes out in the flavor, in addition to some fruity citrus tones.

M: Medium body, much lighter than I'd like for the style. Light carbonation. Very creamy texture, especially once warmed.

O: An enjoyable stout. It's not the best, and it's not the most memorable, but I still really enjoyed it. So I can't complain.

Valmor88, Oct 25, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +24.1%

Wow. My first chocolate stout, and I must say, I LOVE IT!!! Let me tell ya first WHY I bought it! (I do like stouts, but never had the choc. variety) This is usually like $35 a case, or so, right? Well, my distributor had it on a "sale rack" probably 'cause the sell by date was getting close. SO, I got the damn case for $18.99!!! Miller Lite ain't that cheap friends!! I figured "what the hell" and I gave it a shot. SOOO glad I did. This stout is SOOO smooth, and wonderful. Smells of chocolate malt, and tastes much like that, although it has a roasted malt taste at the end.(Almost coffee-like) Very nice. This is SOO much better than Guinness, it's sad. I highly recommend, even if you just have a chance to get just one after dinner somewhere. It's a treat, and a velvety-smooth dance on the tongue! Nice job, Fort Collins. OH, it's not TOO heavy, a bit "thin", but full of flavor...SO, one could polish off a few of these in a sitting without having to unbuckle your belt! Enjoy...cheers...AND SAAALUTE my BA friends!

musicjustintime, Sep 21, 2007

mverity, Nov 18, 2013

Hopstimatic, Apr 03, 2012

emerald27, Sep 01, 2014

jsapping, Jul 17, 2012

DeeMalloy, Sep 10, 2013

ESimmons, Oct 09, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured cold into my Caracole snifter.
A - Deep brown w/ a thin medium tan head with the appearance of a coffee or chocolate milkshake.

S - Malted milk balls is the dominant odor w/ sweat cream scents and light chocolate odors. Nice roasted mocha scents are noticed.

M - Roasty, malty, sweet, smooth and creamy with a lot of roastiness in the finish.

T - There is a great deal of creamy chocolate flavor in this ale. It is smooth w/ a bit of dry roasted brown malt flavors that come out in full strength as it warms. Subtle cocoa, chocolate as in malted barley is smooth as chocolate. Sweet with subtle roastiness. More creamy than roasty overall. Subtle woody hops keep it from cloying territory - a really well made stout.

D - Smooth and full of chocolate malt taste. The full stout flavor is augmented well by the amount of chocolate tastes. This would go well with chocolate creme brulee. This is one that is definitely worth checking out if you like the flavor of chocolate in beer. I could probably drink at least a case.

Slatetank, Aug 14, 2007

rramsey, Mar 30, 2012

DaveOB, Jul 06, 2012

Lukass, Dec 23, 2012

jnikkel, May 21, 2012

Kerrie, Nov 10, 2012

MarvinSnyder, Mar 22, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +22.6%

A - Pours a black color with a tan head roughly 1 finger in width that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a decent lacing.

S - Has the aroma of roasted malts with hints of chocolate.

T - The hops are present in this stout, but are balanced out nicely with flavors of chocolate and roasted malts.

M - A crisp, full-bodied beer with medium carbonation; very easy to drink.

O - Not my favorite stout, but nonetheless a good stout. It has an easy drink-ability with great taste.

The_1084, Aug 04, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +22.3%

Preface: This is my first Chocolate Stout

Appearance - As dark as the blackest night with zero light penetration and adequate lacing and head retention

Smell - Aromatic blissfulness of chocolate and perhaps drizzled caramel, jutting from a roasted smokey bean all tied together in a beautiful onslaught of malty goodness

Taste - Brilliant pockets of malty roasted coffee and chocolate dance across an earthy wood flavor to end with an uniform snap of alcohol

Mouthfeel - Density is not what I expected from a stout; however, it just lays across my tongue in an effortless manner that continues enticing me to take another sip; I can't put my finger on the exact feel I am getting, it has ample moisture release with phenomenal smoothness

Overall - Synergistic qualities of the coffee/chocolate and alcohol mesh into a elegant beer (if that is possible from a stout)

6thomas3, May 21, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +22.3%

Dark brown out of the bottle, with a hint of red. Cocoa foam fades after a few minutes, leaving some lace. Nose is roasted grain, chocolate overtones, yeast and coffee. Initial taste is sweet, but finishes with a semi-sweet chocolate that is interesting. Just enough hops to keep this stout from being cloyingly chocolaty. Finish is nicely dry, leaving a whole wheat bread aftertaste. Carbonation is gentle, just right. Body is slightly thick, but goes down easy. A good comparison would be with the standard: Young’s Double Chocolate Stout – with which Ft. Collin’s offering compares favorably.

palliko, Mar 24, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

A - nice very dark ruby color with a strong creamy/brown head

S - sweet roasty and some chocolate aromas

T - nice sweet and roasty with some chocolate feeling and flavor some raisin flavor as well

M - nice medium body goes well with the taste

D - very pleasant and drinikable

humanawho, Jan 24, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +20.3%

tone77 has managed to send me down an unexpected dark road on Thanksgiving. He dropped off a mess of bottles on our last trade and I am just getting caught up before his next anticipated trade.

It all got me to thinking about what is referred to as "getting some strange", but if you have not embraced the dark and split the black oak, then you may be unaware of what you are missing. Take a hint from the bottle: "A velvety smooth mouthfeel and impeccable flavor make this stout positively seductive. Subtle hop bitterness evens out the character of roasted barley and chocolate malt in our proven classic." Plus, the Incan (?) doll proffering said beer on the current label? Read you lima charlie, o&o. Black is beautiful and Tan is grand! Gimme!

My bartender buddy, Moe, used to say that I took my coffee like my women - hot & black and the sooner the better. Ah, yes. This beer poured fast and back and gave some serious mocha head before moving on to more important things, like the nose. It smelled like Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate and I was thinking of several special treats that I might like from a chocolate stout. Color was a dense deep-brown, not black, but what actually is solid black other than carbon? Mouthfeel was, indeed, velvety smooth, like Marvin Gaye on the turntable. Let's get it on! The lacing was thick and sticky and I was licking my moustache like the flavor saver it had become. The taste was of liquid dark chocolate, no sweet nonsense here. Man, this was cacao being ladled out by one of Montazuma's girls and I was lapping it up like it was going out of style! Finish left me spent and sleepy. Hey, who's going to clean up that mess?!? The sticky lacing left behind in the glass, I mean. I think that I may be compelled to buy a certain young lady a drink come Sunday. Yo, ya feel me?

woodychandler, Nov 25, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

When I was last in Colorado I drank a lot of CO brews. I think I missed this one. Today I talked myself into a stout mood and when I saw this, it seemed like a good match.

It is indeed a stout that does what it should - it goes pretty close to the edge without going over. Strong and flavorful. Not very chocolately, but that's ok, it doesn't seem like false advertising.

It's pretty drinkable for the style and not nasty. I would buy it again.

A year later, I reiterate. A good stout. Roasty and not too heavy.

schoolboy, May 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

Deep mahogany colored with a light brown foamy head that settles out quickly. Low aroma of cocoa and roasted malts.

Flavorf is initially sweet milk chocolate, but quickly gives way to smokiness, some coffee and raisin, hints of molasses, rich dark malt. Finishes with a sharp but clean burnt espresso flavor, and piney hop bitters emerge at the end of the finish and linger. Pretty complex, good mix and balance of flavors, not just over the top chocolate.

Moderate carbonation, fairly even mouthfeel, finishes a bit dry. Very drinkable beer.

far333, Feb 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Very dark in color, nearly opaque with a reddish hue. Dense head with a little dark color in it. Very stout like...

S - Small sweet chocolate smell. Nothing too heavy or obvious in the nose. Almost a milky chocolate smell. Perhaps more will come out as it warms, but this seems pretty simple.

T - Roasted chocolate malt lays on the tongue. Simple and straight forward. This is a chocolate stout. Nothing too complex about that.

M - Smooth and malty. Cocoa bitters seem to coat your tongue. No carbonation and silky feel. A bit of a heavier feel going down.

D - I'd enjoy another, but this is a beer that is better enjoyed in small quantities or you'd otherwise get that bloated and heavy feel in your gut. Sip and enjoy.

Tolann, Nov 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer poured a dark brown, almost black, forming a very thin mocha head that quickly faded. The aroma is very light for a stout, mainly consisting of roasted malt and dark chocolate. Light, but what is present, is very inviting. The taste is a simple, yet pronounced combination of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavor. Nothing too complex about the taste, and not as chocolately as expected judging from the name, but still a tasty stout. The mouthfeel was very impressive IMO. Extremely smooth mouthfeel for a stout. Light bitterness allowing for a clean easy swallow. This is a highly drinkable and very sessionable stout. Full flavor and low abv. make for an ideal session stout. Overall, not a bad stout. As far as a chocolate stout is concerned, I would prefer Rogues Chocolate stout, but in a sixer form, this one is hard to beat. Yet another beer that I will keep an eye out for on my out-of-state trips. Recommended!!

beeragent, Nov 06, 2007