Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat - The Fort Collins Brewery

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Beaver13 on 03-16-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -50.3%

Pours a reddish blond color, with no head or lacing at all. Very clear, ( are you sure this is a wheat beer?)
Starts out lightly sweet, and finishes dry and chalky. Has a rancid aroma, with hints of lemon and citrus fruit. Has a very faint Hefe taste. I could not find no hints of pomegranate whatsoever.

Overall this was a disappointment, Not sure how a fruity "wheat" beer can be sweet and bitter? This could be better, pomegranate is a wonderful fruit to brew with. I use it once in a while in my homebrew witbier, and its great. With a little work they can greatly improve this beer. (590 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -45.7%

Pours light amber with no head. Not quite what I expect from a wheat beer. Smells of artificial fruit, sugar, and some sour- like a cheap candy. Similar in the mouth. Starts bitter and artificial and progresses to thin, watery, sour, and insipid with a metallic tang on the finish. Sharp and prickly in the mouth, this one is a drain pour for me. (346 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -45.4%

A friend let me try this, I dont know what I did to him

Im not one for bashing beers, but I didnt like this beer at all

A: Pale orange, light hazy, had red flakes floating in it? didnt look too much like a wheat beer to me, head dissipated right away

S:The biggest turn off was the smell, hard to even discribe

T:didn taste great, very unbalanced, didnt taste like Pom or wheat

overall if you'd like to try a pom wheat, i recommend Saranacs, ive heard FCB has good beers, but this missed the cut (500 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Served in a shaker at The Saucer on 4/7/13. Pours an almost flat golden-yellow favoring the flesh of a mango. There was a little haze to it, but it seemed more like something dirty floating in it than really a wit or hefe type unfiltered haze. There was no head to this beer. I watched the pour and it was done by one of the bartenders that knows how to pour a beer. He didn't not pour off the head. He poured it at about 75 degrees and it just formed nothing. The smell was just flat as well. There was tons of bubbles in the glass, so I didn't think it was a carbonation thing. There was maybe a whisper of fruit syrup and some maybe banana on top of some cheap white bread. The taste was just a bunch of nothing overall. I feared a flat beer given the head and the nose situation, but it was really quite fizzy; too fizzy really. There was something that maybe wanted to be pomegranate, but only came off as flavoring syrup. There was no wheat flavor at all and there was this harsh hops flavor to it as well; no flavoring hops, just a flat bitterness. Overall, this beer was just off. Sytlistically it just doesn't work right for either a wit or a true wheat beer. It really was like drinking a budweiser with some fruit flavor to it. I may give it another shot just to be sure, but I just didn't like it. (1,309 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

This pours a clear golden colour with plenty of floaties suspended in the glass. The head was a nice inch and left some decent lacing ... what's with the floaties though? The aroma is fairly tart, no pomegranate to speak of, just general tartness over general "beeriness". The taste is just entirely non-descript. There's barely anything here beyond the generic beeriness and a touch of tartness. Very boring, there's really nothing here to enjoy.

The mouthfeel is fairly nice, it's crisp and well-carbonated. The drinkability? Eh, it's decent, but there's no reason. Overall? This is a bad beer. There's really nothing here to enjoy. I might have a bad bottle, because the floaties don't seem to be mentioned by any other review. I'd try it again, but wouldn't be fooled twice. Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat is much better. (873 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -39.6%

It's a super clear light gold color with a miniscule amount of foam, even with a heavy pour. Basically nothing on the surface after 5 seconds. Not a good start to this one.

Pomegranate? Where? All I smell is some knappy malted milk maltiness and some sweet caramel. No wheat aroma to speak of either.

I dont know what it is, but this is my second FCBC beer and both have been horrible (Summer Fling is the other). This one does not taste at all like pomegranates, nor does it have much of a noticeable wheat crispness or zing. There is a very good chance this will be my last Fort Collins beer, just atrocious. (612 characters)

Now this beer is not offensive but I just fail to see any upside to it. The color a golden clear beer. No wheat beer haze or large fluffy head. The scent is sour atop a whiff of malt sweetness. Not smooth or tart but oddly sour in an unpleasant way. The taste is similar with little complexity or depth of character. Mouthfeel is thin. I would not drink another. (362 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -34.5%

To those fellow BA's that are going to purchase this beer I offer the following advice: pour half of the bottle into your pint glass. If you pour any amount greater than that it will overflow with the biggest head I have ever seen on a beer. Although the beer had been sitting undisturbed for a week it pured as if someone tossed it around. I assure you I did not do this. Beer was rather tart like a sour cherry, but it did taste like pomegrantes. Could not drink too many of these since half the bottles overflowed in my sink and though the beer was overly carbonated.

Nothing stands out about this beer and I would not go out of my way to try it again. There are better fruit beers out there. (698 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle

pours a transparent yellow orange color with an enormous white head. Aromas of soap and artificial fruit in the nose, pomegranate sure doesnt jump out at you, more like over ripe and sour plums, green apple and tart berry. Tart in the mouth as well, fake fruit concentrate again dominates the flavor here, tingly with a metallic taste on the tongue. No true pleasurable wheat character to speak of and an ear wax like aftertaste. Avoid this beer, if you must drink a fruit beer there are better options than this. (526 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

No foam and a cloudy yellow color. The smell is sickly sweet, and the taste is slightly better. The aftertaste is a bit cloying. It's not bad for about 1/2 the bottle, but then it's just too much for me. Just not my kind of beer, as I don't care for the sweetness that lingers.. (285 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -30.8%

Live review. Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Slightly cloudy pale yellow with a tannish hue. Nice white foamy head. Laces well on the sides of the glass.

S: Super malty and hoppy and that's about it. Strange for a witbier. I detect light fruit but nothing else. Smells like an APA all the way, or a bad IPA.

T: How is this a witbier? Tastes like almost like an IPA with a light berry presence. Did I get an old bottle or something?

D: I can't really say I'd have more than one of these. If I was gonna drink a pomegranate ale I'd go with the Peak Organic.

Value: Pricey as heck for what it is. (618 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -30.2%

Served in a glass from a 12oz bottle. The beer poured a clear medium straw, forming a 1 inch white head, creating light lace as it faded. The aroma is very grainy and only has a hint of any wheat qualities. Taste follows closely, having a very pronounced almost BMC graininess to it, along with a light wheat flavor, and absolutely no hint of pomegranate anywhere. The mouthfeel is very light and smooth, more like a lager. This beer just seemed to be lacking in flavor, and in no way resembled any wheat beers that I know of. Very dissapointed. (545 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear golden color with small amount of white head with no retention.

Slight scent of pomegranite and notes of wheat.

Very light pomegranite flavor, some wheat notes.

Light bodied, kind of watery, moderate carbonation.

I thought this was much too watery and lacking of flavor. (281 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a pure clean reddish gold, too clean for a Witbier, off white big head that quickly dissipated. Minimal lacing and retention.

Smell: Artificially sweet and grainy, I couldn't have guessed this was pomegranate if it wasn't on the bottle. It reminds me of a paler #9.

Mouthfeel: Light and almost fruit juicy, high carbonation.

Taste: Pale, weak and grainy, tart and a little sour on the finish, not pleasant. Funny... I just happened to have some pomegranate juice and threw in a splash; not bad... a tart sour champagne like concoction.

Drinkability: As there's no dating anywhere, I have no idea how idea my bottle is, the flavor could just be gone. I wouldn't drink this again, and probably wouldn't have finished this had I not had the real pomegranate juice. A disappointment compared to the others in the Brewer's Lunchbox. (875 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Looks and smells like a witbier, but the taste isn't really close. Slightly sweet, but not enough of the wheatiness I look for in a wit. Lacking in just about every category. I like wit's, I like pomegranate, but I tend to not like fruity beers as they usually overdo it (see: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat). This one had a modest fruitiness, which was good, but not enough of the wheat. (444 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

Wow. I was completely caught off guard with this one. When one sees a beer calling itself "Pomegranate Wheat", and marketing itself as a witbier or hefe, there are certain things one doesn't expect to find. Citrusy, piney hops is one of those things. I must say, however, the head on this beer is remarkable. It's thick and densely foamy, almost like shaving cream. It remained this way throughout the drink, too.
Colour was a yellowy - orange with afore-mentioned lovely, foamy head.
Smell was immediately hops, with pomegranate (and perhaps a few more less assertive fruits) hiding in the back, but in there nevertheless.
Taste was sweet and hoppy at the same time. The pomegranate, while discernable, was quite muted and overpowered by the hops, in my opinion. This whole thing was just really bizarre. I suppose it isn't a *terrible* beer, just a bit, perhaps, mis-labeled? This, to me, is the brewing equivalent of biting into a slice of pizza and having it taste exactly like cherry pie. I like both of those things, but they're nothing alike, and when I want one, *that* is what I want.
Why don't we brew up an oatmeal stout with some spent espresso grounds and some Dutch chocolate flakes and put "English style ESB" on the label while we're at it....
Again, not a terrible beer (not a great one, either), just terribly mis-labeled. (1,341 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from 12 oz brown bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a translucent gold color with a small 1/2 finger white head with some retention and lacing. The appearance might be the beer's best quality.

S - Extremely mild wheat/bread aroma with a equally mild fruit (pomegranate) aroma.

T/M - The beer starts off with a grain character that really never dissipates and dominates the flavor throughout. Very siimilar to bread. The middle brings a medium bitterness that I found also a little overbearing. Never really got any hint of pomegranate. Light to medium body with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

D - Not impressed.

Overall, I found this beer to be a disappointment. I found the aroma weak, the flavor lacking, and not very drinkable - which is tough for the style! Wits with fruit are supposed to be easily to put down, that's the point! Won't be back.

Reviewed on: 02-14-2011 14:42:58 (1,067 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected a touch more pomegranate taste added by a little sweetness. What I got was a drab beer with a hint of pomegranate, and a very low alcohol content. I like a little alcohol in my beer, and I don't think I would of bought it if it had the 4.8 % on the bottle or 6 pack. (277 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at the brewery yesterday. Appearance is amber with not much foam or lace. Aroma has lemon, eucalyptus, yeast and faint malt and hops. Initial taste is a like a cherry Sweet Tart. On the tongue there are hints of fruit that I could not definitely say was pomegranate, though I take their word for it. It seemed to need some adjusting to make it a drinkable beer. No reference to the David Bowie song is found on the label. (430 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -20.1%

On my search for summertime wheat beers, I came across this oddity at $1.34 for a 12-ounce bottle in a mixed sixer at Wilbur's in Fort Collins, CO, just a couple of miles from the brewery where this unique offering was conceived and produced. It ought to be fresh.

Gentle pour yielded a minimal head over a clear amber body, with none of the pomegranate redness I expected. Looks like a simple plain lager.

Smell is mostly mildly malty-hoppy with a slight sweet-tart fruit note of strawberry and cherry. So THAT'S what pomegranate smells like? However, the smells are very mild, not overt.

Taste is like a not-so-great witbier with a cover of fruity tart-sourness. There is not a hint of sweet fruitiness. Indeed, the aftertaste is rather acrid: not bitter, but almost alum-like in acridity. The main taste is okay, but the finish is not so good.

Mouthfeel is okay. Kind of thin, but there's a stickiness to the after-swallow.

Drinkability ought to be okay, seeing it's just 4.8%. But this doesn't taste good enough to make me want to have much more.

I find it ironic that Fort Collins Brewing brings out such a terrific Maibock in April, and then follows it up with this very unimpressive fruit beer in May. They need to take this one back to the drawing board and redesign it. (1,296 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Fort Collins Brewery's most popular beer pours a transparent yellow straw with great head, good carbonation, and lengthy lacing. The bouquet is sweet but not distinct in any particular way.

The taste of pomegranite is clear from the beginning--a nice mix of sweet and tart, and the edge is taken off by a crisp dryness at the end of each swig. At first, I was pleased with how light (bodied) and refreshing this was and was especially impressed by the balance between the fruit sweetness and a more typical, dry side to the flavor profile.

What disappointed me ultimately here was drinakbility...as I moved through a pint, and particularly as the beer warmed, it's tartness became overwhelming. Too much tartness without enough other flavor to balance it out. The mouthfeel was light but, eventually, biting. Overall, this is rather drinkable brew with a flavor scheme that didn't mesh well with my taste in fruit beer (I like fruit. I like beer, but I want my fruit beer to taste like beer). An interesting experiment...it wouldn't be too hard to tempt me to try another one of these, but I doubt that I'd ever buy a six pack
myself. (1,141 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

A - Light straw color. fair head with a very thin lace left behind.

S - Very light aroma, definately floral though.

T - Very Sweet, can't really pick out the pomegranate though.

M - Florally, Nice aftertaste though.

D - Pretty Nice Beer again for the Summer outdoor activities. (281 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%

pomegranate beer sounded interesting and i hadn't seen it before, so i had to try it. the bottle art is about average ... (the bottle was my glass)

smells a bit tart and one-dimensional. tastes like a bland wheat beer to which a concentrated fruit has been added, but if i hadn't been told it was pomegranate i'm not sure i'd have guessed. the bitterness from the fruit is not very pleasant, but then if you take the bitterness from pomegranates and experience it apart from the other flavors it's not too pleasant. and here the other flavors get lost.

body seemed to be close to medium. had a hard time getting through this one. (631 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle to NB globe pours honey gold with a bit of orange glow into the glass netting a film of forth with no lacing. Color is nice but nothing else really amazing.

Smell is all over the place, a lot of variety but not exactly pleasant. Dry grain, bready malts, fruit tartness and sweetness, though not pomegranate, more like berries followed by sulfur, yeah it's definitely sulfur, not rotten eggs strong or anything but a bit off putting.

Taste is of dried grain with a wheaty twang, not earthy at all but rather bright and bland. Not much sweetness to the fruit and a vinegar tart finish on the end of the drink. Tastes a little like a failed berliner wiesse. In addition the finish starts of drying with a little bit of grain husks then sulfur on the palate than lingers on through the dryness. What bitterness there is, is accompanied by drying sulfur.

Okay if you ignore the bad after taste the carbonation is lively and the drink is light bodied and easy. It even begins to dry pleasantly until the flavor kicks in. This would be fun if I didn't have tastebuds.

Not sure if I'm being harsh on this one but first of all this is not a witbeer, no orange, no coriander and no yeast character whatsoever. In addition that sulfite addition is not adding to the illusion of pomegranate in this. It's an average wheat beer exposed to a chemistry fair volcano. On the brightside, FCB finally proves to me they can produce a beer that is actually carbonated. * golf claps* (1,473 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out to a clear dark golden, forming a rocky bone-white head with beautiful retention and lacing. Looks like whipped cream and bubbly pancakes. The aroma is quite nice...it has a typical American Wheat Ale nose of cracked wheat, crackers, pale malt grain husk, but overlaid by a dusty sour fruitiness akin to raspberries. Since I had a pomegranate today with lunch, I can pick up on it, but I probably wouldn't be able to place it otherwise. Carbonation is brisk. The carbonation stings the tongue and explodes upon the mouth. Medium-light body. The taste is very interesting...fruity, but sour and dusty. There is a bitterness which is akin to the bitter pulp of the pomegranate and is intermingled with a floral hop bitterness which is quite strong for the style. The aftertaste is pungently bitter and really hampers it's drinkability. The sourness is pervasive and more chemical in nature than anything I would expect.

An interesting, odd, and utterly undrinkable beer. The bitterness is crazy for the style and the sour, metallic nature of this brew real kills it's appeal. I would pass on this one again.
L=4.5, A=4, T=2, MF=3. O=1

Review 1/24/13-Well, for some reason, I got another and thought I would try it. Pours out to a lightly hazy peach. forming a small white head with poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate ~2.5 carbs. The aroma is of grain husk and kiwi fruit. Mouthfeel is moderately tart with a light body. The taste is just grain husk, kiwi fruit, a weird moderate metallic bitterness and more sourness. Not a lactobacillus infected sourness, but a citric sourness. The bitterness certainly seems toned down compared to my prior review, but it's still pretty brisk considering the style and body. (1,743 characters)

Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat from The Fort Collins Brewery