Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat - The Fort Collins Brewery

Major Tom's Pomegranate WheatMajor Tom's Pomegranate Wheat

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Beaver13 on 03-16-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear golden straw with a barely off-white, tall, and long lasting head which laced the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a light citrusy orange character. Wheat was present as well and the fruit aroma was a bit exotic (pomegrante?).

The flavor was a bit to the odd side with a lightly citrusy flavor, some wheat, and a slick slightly sweet yet lightly sour nature that just didn't go down well. Wheat ruled the beer, but the fruit (again pomegrante?), was a bit odd with a sort of saccharine character.

The finish was dry with lasting fruit and saccharine too long into the aftertaste. The body was medium, with a decent carbonation but no roundness to the mouthfee. The aftertaste was just not pleasant to me, gotta say skip this one.

12 ounce bottle with a yellow label of a bi-plane.

3.01/5  rDev -6.8%

Light yellow-orange in color. Seemingly filtered clarity. Subtle aroma, which is slightly tart, while yielding a base of aromatic honey and mild fruit. Equal balance between the sweet and sour flavors, while avoiding being overly cloying like I was expecting. Tastes fairly substancial for its size and its style. Their goal was to appeal to the Sunshine wheat and Easy Street Wheat fans and they achieved their goal, because this beer is better than both.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours golden with a 3 fingers white head& good effervescence. Great lacing and good head retention

Smell: Wheat malt, slight citric notes. As it warms more sweet & fruitty notes

Taste: Intense sweetness followed by what tartness/ Finishes sweet & dry

MF: Effervescent, yet syruppy & funky at the same time. Reminded me of french farm house cider

Too swet strange and tasty to do more than one. Fruit beer lovers may think different

2.73/5  rDev -15.5%

clear, yellowy drink with a big white head. looks like a hefe. smells like apples and sour wheat and i presume like pomegranates as well but i'm really just not around them enough to know for sure. tastes fruity and sweet. fruit (apple, pom) flavor is a bit cloying and distracting. very thin mouthfeel. not very good drinkability because it just didnt seem like i was drinking any kind of beer.

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice tart and fruity wheat scent along with a slightly earthy yeast aroma. The taste is excellent. It has a fruity wheat and yeast flavor that is a bit tart and grainy. It goes down easy with a wonderfully smooth finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine wheat beer. I love the taste of this beer. This is another quality offering from Fort Collins.

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass, this is an attractive but plain pale orange. Tiny bubbles constitute a soft, white head. No lacing and thin, patchy retention.

Smell: Green peas, some (baby) corn, and just a tiny poke of pomegranate. A bit of white grape juice.

Taste: Where's the pom? Oh, there it is. It comes through mid sip, well-hidden behind a grainy, corny sweetness. I am disappointed. I appreciate the brewer's attempt to keep the pomegranate flavor subtle, but this is beyond subtle. It really takes some effort to notice, and I wish it were just a little bit more outgoing. Finish introduces some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Slick, almost cloying. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Matches pretty well with the Vermont white cheddar I'm eating, but not something I would recommend by itself.

Edit: This is a witbier? I don't think so. Typical wit characteristics - like spicy coriander and a strong citric character - are missing.

2.66/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Fort Collins Brewery's most popular beer pours a transparent yellow straw with great head, good carbonation, and lengthy lacing. The bouquet is sweet but not distinct in any particular way.

The taste of pomegranite is clear from the beginning--a nice mix of sweet and tart, and the edge is taken off by a crisp dryness at the end of each swig. At first, I was pleased with how light (bodied) and refreshing this was and was especially impressed by the balance between the fruit sweetness and a more typical, dry side to the flavor profile.

What disappointed me ultimately here was drinakbility...as I moved through a pint, and particularly as the beer warmed, it's tartness became overwhelming. Too much tartness without enough other flavor to balance it out. The mouthfeel was light but, eventually, biting. Overall, this is rather drinkable brew with a flavor scheme that didn't mesh well with my taste in fruit beer (I like fruit. I like beer, but I want my fruit beer to taste like beer). An interesting experiment...it wouldn't be too hard to tempt me to try another one of these, but I doubt that I'd ever buy a six pack

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a fairly clear yellow color with tons of carbonation, but actually leaves a sticky lacing on the glass due to the obvious overcarbonation. The head mushroomed as soon as I poured it into the glass.
Smell is pretty funky..light, fruity wheat smell. Interesting taste from the pomegranate & wheat blend. Different, but pretty good.
For some reason this reminded me of Gumballhead. Obviously, the wheat character had a lot to do with that, but the fruit and mild hops as well..it tasted like it could be Gumballhead's little brother...if David & Golaith were brothers, I guess. Cheap and fairly unique, worth a try if you find it.

3.83/5  rDev +18.6%

This is one of the most interesting wheat beers I've ever had. I've never had pommegranate before, but I know distinctly what it tastes like just from a sip of this beer.

When I opened the bottle, all seemed well, but as I poured it I noticed that I had a whole glass of foam, which was pouring like sludge from the bottle. I don't know if this is common with this beer or not, but after the foam settled out I poured the rest of it very carefully producing a nice thick two inch head. The beer itself is golden and somewhat light, only the slightest bit hazy with a good carbonation. The foam sticks around forever and coats the edges of the glass all the way down.

Smells very fruity, like what I could only guess is pommegranate. A very exotic citrusy flavor, like a mix between lemon, lime, grapefruit, tangerine, kiwi, etc. Yet very distinct in its own way. Smells like a lot of hops, but judging from the taste and the style I think it's coming from the pommegranate.

The taste is quite citric. Very refreshing, yet nearly to the point of overbearing. I realize I may as well just seek out some fresh pommegranate at some hippy grocery store than drink a beer that tastes so overbearingly like the fruit; but this beer is more easily accessable at MY hippy grocery store than the fruit itself, so I kind of enjoy it. There is a slight hint of wheat in in the taste, and maybe even some banana, but mostly just tastes like they crammed it with pommegranate just because they wanted to see how it would taste in their beer.

The mouthfeel is very citric. Quite astringent on the mouth. The body is fairly light. As much as I like the taste, and as little as the alcohol content probably is (listed as unknown at time of review), I probably couldn't drink more than a few of these in a row in a single night before I got sick of the flavor. I'm sure this beer would be great in the summer, and in moderation... like an "I just finished some yard work" afternoon refresher.

4.13/5  rDev +27.9%

Mix and matched my own Fort Collins sampler pack down at the health food store and could hardly wait to try them. Start off with the weakest-looking:

Pours dark wheat white-yellow with an uncontrollable voluminous head. Very nice

Smells of tart pomegranate and just a hint of wheat malt. Nice, once again, but it may be a little too fruity for some.

Tastes like very, very tart fruit up front, making way to an almost smoky lager middle, and giving up on a sour after taste--grain and grass with hint of hops. Sweet, but not in a childish candy sort of way.

This is the definition of a good fruit beer. Unique, not too sweet, still managing to taste like beer. Very nice.

3.81/5  rDev +18%

Pours out a cloudy pale straw and sits cloudy light gold in the glass with a massive soapy white head, sputtering to a thick layer of head, nice lacings all around.

Smells crips and wheaty up front with some dominant citrus notes. Pommegranite hints from all sides. Clear grassy hops push out from underneath.

Tastes midly sweet up front, sweet citrus notes penetrate with oranges and just a speck of lemon. Tart bits of pommegranite balance out whatever sweetness existed then fade into a mildly bitter pronouciation of grassy hops. Lightly crackery, with only a bit of wheat influence.

Crisp, light and incredibly refreshing. Carbonation is adequate and boasts a light body.

A good summertime break, interesting fruit melodies that I would not have expected. I ejoyed the tartness and found this to be satifying overall, yet not completely extravagent.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Picked up a single at Steve's Liquor here in Madison. Bought one for my girlfriend a few months back and thought I'd give it a try myself.

Pours an ominous Mt. Dew neon yellow/green with a tall bright white head. Smells of sweet tarts and sour grapes, with a standard witbier spicy wheat backbone. Taste is tart grapes, green apples and cherries, with wheat and corriander. As my compadre battlekow told me, kind of tastes like a carbonated sports drink with some mouth-puckering tartness. Mouthfeel is crisp and drinkable, I can see myself downing a few but after a while I think my mouth would be tired with more than that. A decent balance of sweet, spicy and tart here. Really not as fruity as you would think. This is a unique brew worth trying if you can find it.

4.26/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"This IS the most unique beer ever produced. Unlike anything else you've ever tried."--strong claims made by the Fort Collins website.

Major Tom's pours a straw gold color with a huge, gorgeous white soapy head. Looks very inviting. Smells wheaty and sour. I don't detect any fruitiness in the nose; however, there is some in the flavor, which I assume is pomegranate (I've never tasted the fruit itself). It's sweet but tart, and balanced perfectly with the beer's chewy wheatiness. Major Tom's tastes really fucking good--I think I've found my new favorite lawnmower beer. Seems like an APWA, though, not a witbier. Turns out that the website wasn't bullshitting.

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

To those fellow BA's that are going to purchase this beer I offer the following advice: pour half of the bottle into your pint glass. If you pour any amount greater than that it will overflow with the biggest head I have ever seen on a beer. Although the beer had been sitting undisturbed for a week it pured as if someone tossed it around. I assure you I did not do this. Beer was rather tart like a sour cherry, but it did taste like pomegrantes. Could not drink too many of these since half the bottles overflowed in my sink and though the beer was overly carbonated.

Nothing stands out about this beer and I would not go out of my way to try it again. There are better fruit beers out there.

3.12/5  rDev -3.4%

I have no idea what pomegranate tastes like...nver had it....but my guess is it must be a tart fruit....this pours out a gigantic white head (too much)....smells a little like cactus...flavor is sweet-sour like....some lime-like flavor to this wheat beer....puckery mouthfeel....pretty charged up carbonation....spritzy...

Interesting enough but one of these is all I'd want...nice stab at something a little different though...glad I tasted it...

2.53/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at the brewery yesterday. Appearance is amber with not much foam or lace. Aroma has lemon, eucalyptus, yeast and faint malt and hops. Initial taste is a like a cherry Sweet Tart. On the tongue there are hints of fruit that I could not definitely say was pomegranate, though I take their word for it. It seemed to need some adjusting to make it a drinkable beer. No reference to the David Bowie song is found on the label.

3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

Different retro-styled label than pictured, which altogether loses the whole Major Tom vibe.
Pours a smudged daffodil with a thin enamel cap and a few stray bubbles.
Scented of lemon candies, menthol, and pomegranate pulp, and white bread.
Begins with a steely lime juice tartness that gradually unfold into a gory mess of pomegranate seeds and pulp, as the tartness switches sweet. It lingers in concentrated fruit juice fashion as a minor hay dryness stuggles for balance and fails laughably.
It's appropriately light, and the tartness is alluring upfront, but the left-over sugars begin to make this a chore midway through.
There is a glimmer of promise here. The concept is interesting, even if the result is not. This needs some form of dryness and probably some complimentary spice notes. But with some tweaking, who knows?

4.1/5  rDev +26.9%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. 6 pack is mixed with two different label designs. Indecipherable code on the bottle.

Appearance: Poured into a weizen glass with a large foamy head. Gold with a slightly red cloudiness to it. Great head retention, and a little bit of bubbliness to the beer.

Smell: Aroma is like a lemony wheat, with some spices present as well.

Taste: Typical wheat flavors - subtle but well done. Then comes the fruit - it tastes somewhat berry-ish to me. The fruit is a nice addition, and does not overpower the beer.

Overall impression: Nicely drinkable beer with a twist. Interesting offering that is a bit different, but not just a novelty.

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Growler. Poured a cloudy pale yellow with a big frothy white head that retained well and left some lacing.

The aroma was lemony wheat and light yeast and spices.

The flavor was more of the same - lemony yeasty spices. For a lighter beer, it was surprisingly medium bodied and was lightly carbonated.

Overall, a very fruity wit. It was very refreshing and would make a great summer drinker. It was one of the better wheats I've had (not a favorite style). I was surprised to like it as much as I did.

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last