Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat - The Fort Collins Brewery

Major Tom's Pomegranate WheatMajor Tom's Pomegranate Wheat

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 03-16-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Looks and smells like a witbier, but the taste isn't really close. Slightly sweet, but not enough of the wheatiness I look for in a wit. Lacking in just about every category. I like wit's, I like pomegranate, but I tend to not like fruity beers as they usually overdo it (see: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat). This one had a modest fruitiness, which was good, but not enough of the wheat.

ibashmuck, Jul 11, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Light straw color. fair head with a very thin lace left behind.

S - Very light aroma, definately floral though.

T - Very Sweet, can't really pick out the pomegranate though.

M - Florally, Nice aftertaste though.

D - Pretty Nice Beer again for the Summer outdoor activities.

andreasmwatt, Jul 01, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -28.3%

Served in a glass from a 12oz bottle. The beer poured a clear medium straw, forming a 1 inch white head, creating light lace as it faded. The aroma is very grainy and only has a hint of any wheat qualities. Taste follows closely, having a very pronounced almost BMC graininess to it, along with a light wheat flavor, and absolutely no hint of pomegranate anywhere. The mouthfeel is very light and smooth, more like a lager. This beer just seemed to be lacking in flavor, and in no way resembled any wheat beers that I know of. Very dissapointed.

beeragent, Jun 08, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +22%

A tad more filtered than I like my wheat beers but nice golden appearance. Slightly cloudy with some heavy carbonation bubbles rushing to the surface. White head coats the surface. Nose is wheaty with a bit of fruit. I can only assume the fruit aroma is the pomegranate because it is not the normal banana/citrus of a wheat beer.

Really digging this beer-especially considering it is a fruit beer. Never particularly fond of fruit beers. Heavy on the wheat flavor with just the slightest hint of pomegranate. Which is a good thing because I am not fond of pomegranate juice. Some oily flavors that really do stick well together. Medium mouthfeel that has some heft to it actually. Kind of pleasantly surprised by that. Will definitely have to buy this on again.

MuddyFeet, May 31, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

I'm not too sure what to think of this brew. As a witbier it doesn't really seem to hold up but works pretty well as a summery, American pale wheat ale. The pomegranate doesn't seem to show through very much except for a tartness that is consistent. Scents are pretty non-existent. Color is nice and golden, head is good, lace is good...
Mouthfeel is very dry and on the tart side which I find makes this pretty drinkable. There is a little bit of assertive bitterness in the finish which I find one can counteract by having another swig!
The signature witbier flavors of coriander and citrus aren't really in here; maybe some tartness or sourness but nothing that speaks of the fruit.
Definitely more palatable when poured into a glass as opposed to consumed straight from the bottle as the bitterness can be too much if not decanted. Some that might have a problem with the usual sweetness of the style may enjoy this brew over other witbiers.
All in all I'd have to say that I would get this again, especially when served cold on a hot day.

ommegangpbr, May 28, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance - pours into a Paulaner tasting glass with 5+ fingers of foam and a resulting (small) mess. The foam subsides very slowly, leaving behind pops and dashes of crusty lace. The beer is a slightly hazy peachy golden color.

Aroma - a vague fruitiness, common grain/wheat smell, soft and unassuming.

Taste - husky wheat, a touch of pomegranate tartness. The swallow is more of the pomegranate tart flavor. Nothing real special but not bad.

Mouthfeel - average weight, crisply carbonated.

Drinkability - not my kind of beer, pomegranate for all it's anti-oxidant porperties, does nothing for me as an additive.

brewdlyhooked13, May 23, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a pure clean reddish gold, too clean for a Witbier, off white big head that quickly dissipated. Minimal lacing and retention.

Smell: Artificially sweet and grainy, I couldn't have guessed this was pomegranate if it wasn't on the bottle. It reminds me of a paler #9.

Mouthfeel: Light and almost fruit juicy, high carbonation.

Taste: Pale, weak and grainy, tart and a little sour on the finish, not pleasant. Funny... I just happened to have some pomegranate juice and threw in a splash; not bad... a tart sour champagne like concoction.

Drinkability: As there's no dating anywhere, I have no idea how idea my bottle is, the flavor could just be gone. I wouldn't drink this again, and probably wouldn't have finished this had I not had the real pomegranate juice. A disappointment compared to the others in the Brewer's Lunchbox.

joezak5, May 21, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured clear and blonde, with carbonation rushing up the top of the beer, and a small white head that quickly left a lace around the edge. Looked good enough. The smell was wheaty, with a mixture of hops and sharp fruit tones that gave a little bit of a pleasant stinging sensation to the nose. The taste was wheat and hops (surprisingly, the latter came out stronger), and some complimentary tart fruit along for the ride, which obviously included pomegranate, but also might have had some citrus in there. The hops and the dry, carbonated mouthfeel gave the beer a bit of a crips bite. I enjoyed the taste at first sip, but as I drank more, I liked it less. The tart flavors just got more and more sour to me, the beer a bit too carbonated, and I had enough by the end.

micahgoldfus, May 16, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz single poured into pint glass.

A: Transparent yellow color with a thick head falling to nil.

S: Pomegranate? Really just bland wheat. Some fruitiness but mostly just tartiness.

T: Citrusy with a whole lot of sweetness. Really not bad, probably very good on a hot day. Some hops but otherwise no real pomegranate, more celery or peas oddly enough. Cant say I hate it though.

M: Close to medium body with a hoppy bite. Sour on sides of tongue and sweet on the tip. Medium carbonation.

D: Not impressed in terms of either a fruit beer or a wheat beer. Lacked flavor and from other reviews expected more by way of hop flavor.

This one didnt do it for me. Not horrible, not a repurchase.

marcpal, May 09, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottled poured into a white wine glass - 2008 Bottling? - Cellar temp

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with an off white head that's 1" tall. Very little carbonation activity. Great retention. Plenty of lace. Nice foamy head.

Smell: Dried wheat, lightly toasted malt. No fruit aromas. Slight woody/nut fragrance.

Taste: Heavy wheat presence. There are some indiscernible fruit flavors but they don't taste like pommegranate.

Mouthfeel: Slick and creamy with an earthy, tannic, aftertaste. Medium bodied beer that goes down smooth with no noticable alcohol.

Drinkability: Very good. A nice quencher that does disappoint with it's lack of pomegranate flavor. Overall a decent beer.

Risser09, May 05, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a very lightly hazey banana with small, sluggish bubbles rising to the surface of a well foamed beer. Very little lacing. The aroma is a very faint, yet sharp fruit. The first sip is a tart fruity, pomegranate with a bone dry hop finish. Very light bitterness overall, but its there at the end. Helps round out the whole brew. Very dry palate mixed with sharp pomegranate fruit flavors.

scruffwhor, May 05, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +28.3%

Frothy small head, cloudy golden yellow with a small amount of yeast present.

I can faintly smell the pomegranate and straw.

Good balance of hops and malt. Hops really shine through the middle. The pomegranate is more of an afterthought than a flavor, but that's a good thing, it works for this beer.

This is much better than I thought it would be. It is easy to drink with some complexity. I'll buy this again.

MOShepp, May 04, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours hazed golden yellow with a white head tht quickly thins and stays, leaving a clean glass.

The smell is of wheat dough/tang... not really catching the pomegranate, though thankful that it isn't artificial/overwhelming as with some other fruit beers.

The taste is of wheat, dough a slight hint of citric tang - pomegranate. Not too sweet overall, as there is some balancing tartness.

Light-bodied, as per style.

Can't really complain as it's not the artificial-like syrupiness that many fruit wheat beers have. Still in all, it's a pretty typical American wheat ale.

jwc215, May 03, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

A-Hazy golden yellow with a foamy white head that quickly reduced and left minimal lacing.

S-Light citrus aroma with a bit of wheatiness in the background.

T-Almost like a macro-lager with a interesting mix of tart/sweet fruit notes. A bit of biscuity maltiness with some earthy notes followed by a mild hop bite and finally the tart finish. All in all nice....but all of these flavours are mild...if they would POP more this beer would be much better.

M-Medium-light body with a pleasant light zing.

D-A bit light and "odd" for my tastes....but overall nice. This is a great stepping stone beer or a nice one to have at a summer BBQ. Light and refreshing with a low ABV makes it easy to have multiples.

Deuane, Apr 09, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer is much better on tap than bottle. Pours a semi-clear lemony yellow color with a bubbly head. Very limited retention and lacing.

The nose, not a wit, is limited overall. Some grainy and basic malt. No hints of wheat. Some citrus with more of a fruity twist than hoppy. A very distinctive FTC yeasty character as well. A hint of lemon but no real pomegranate at all.

The taste is limited overall as well. The malt is grainy with a more wheat presence than the nose indicated. Some basic flavors though. There is a more fruit cocktail flavor with the pomegranate coming out but mixed with lemons, orange and cantaloupe. Yes cantaloupe. Some bitterness but not much finishing. Distinctive FTC yeast flavors.

The body is crisp but still has some presence. Some yeast bite but overall not had. Overall limited in flavor and would like more of a fruit nose/flavor for a fruit beer (not wit).

Oxymoron, Mar 27, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured crystal clear medium yellow, which surprised me. With the pomegranate, I kind of expected it to be red or pink! Nice fluffy head and great lacing. Hardly any detectable aroma. Taste was interesting. Had to take a few drinks to decide if I liked it or not. Not fruity tasting, which is good. I think the pomegranate adds a little tartness to the bitterness of the hops, and it has a kind of sharp crisp flavor, almost a little like a sweet tart with the sweet left out of it. Mouthfeel was average, with medium carbonation and medium light body. Actually a pretty drinkable beer. Might surprise somebody who's expecting a fruity beer - like me.

BeerCheese, Mar 25, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured dark yellow with a tall bright white head. Nose of sweet tarts and sour grapes, with a standard witbier spicy wheat backbone. Taste is tart grapes, green apples and cherries, with wheat and corriander. It is a little on the thin side to me. While it tasted ok it is not smoething I will seek out.

barleywinefiend, Mar 06, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Pours clear golden with a slight amber tint. A thick white foam head stands 1 finger tall, but dissipates quickly to a covering with no lace.
S - Light aroma of sweet fruit (pomegranate) with an equal scent of wheat. Overall, the smell is pretty light.
T - More hoppy than expected. Sweet and sour fruit backed by a wheat aftertaste. Great transition of flavor from sip to swallow and after. More powerful than smell.
M - Close to medium body with a hoppy bite. Sour on sides of tongue and sweet on the tip. Medium carbonation.
D - I really liked this one. I scored it a little low only because I think it's too hoppy for the style and what most would expect a wheat to have. I liked the hop level, though. Recommended.

TYE, Mar 05, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +11%

Grabbed this bottle in pick-your-sixer deal on base. Far from being one of my favorites, but it would work well ice cold on a hot summer day.
Appearance - typical pale looking wheat
Smell - a little citrus, fruit smell of pomegranate definitely noticeable
Taste - too weak for my taste, seemed to be lacking in the substance of wheatness
Mouthfeel - light and refreshing
Drinkabilitiy - not bad, maybe a little flat.
Not one I will be looking for on the next beer run...but might keep in mind for a barbecue.

SaltyLime, Feb 13, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

I continue to try new Wheats. This one is impressive when poured, at first. Then I noticed it is completely clear. That is unusual for a wheat.

The nose is rather disappointing as well. Some bread but really this smells more like a macro!!!

The taste lacks the carbonated bite, citrus and other fine characteristics that I like in this style. The malt is there, but this is mostly grainy. The only reason I gave this the grade I did was that it was not bad to drink, just didn't follow the genre.

daledeee, Feb 12, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a pale lemon/gold color with a fizzy white, head that "screams" its way to the surface, but quickly begins to dissipate, allowing some aroma to purge to my nostrals.

Aroma is of citrus fruit peel (lemon/lime) while a weak, grainy, wheat aroma hits my nose as well. NOt much substance here. Pomegranate? Nothing on the nose reminds me of Pomegranate seeds (fruit).

Sipping reveals a better than average body with a sharp carbonation hitting the tip of my tongue while the flavors of grain hits my palate. I guess I can get the sense of the pomegranate fruit coming through afterward, but honestly, it's very subtle, much like eating the actual fruit itself.

Feel and drinkability are both just "okay". I'm not a huge wheat fan, and this one doesn't help my feelings about them. A rather disappointing showing to be honest. However, I'm betting at the abv and style, this would make a very nice summer guzzler.

Fish113d, Feb 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at room temperature.

A - Pours a cloudy straw color with a foamy white head; left lots of lacing on the glass.

S - Citrus (mainly grapefruit and lemon) aroma with some wheat in the background; maybe some spices.

T - Unique blend of citrus, hops, and grassy-wheat flavors. Fruit notes are difficult to differentiate - semi-sweet/semi-tart lemon and orange, maybe. Earthy notes follow the juicy hop flavor, finally making way for a tart finish. Lots of flavors working here.

M - Medium body with a tart finish. Strong carbonation present.

D - I wasn't too sure after the first bottle, but the next day I had changed my mind and found it quite enjoyable, even in the blustery-winter weather. A unique addition to their sampler case.

JohnnyM2002, Jan 27, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

An unusual ale with a distinctive tartness (real pom juice concentrate
is an ingredient). I was prepared to laugh this one off as another
fruity sweet beer, and to an extent that's true, but in reality, it's
not at all bad. It's nice and light, with a bit of a zing (and wins
some points for originality), but ultimately Major Tom's isn't a
standout beer, as there's really no depth to it.

secondtooth, Jan 09, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

And here we go with yet another pomegranate wheat beer. I still haven't figured out why everyone keeps taking a stab at this precise combination. It just seems to bode a beer that misses the mark. Let's see how this goes.

Pours a fogged golden amber with a big head off a firm pour that falls thin pretty quickly. Nose is barely there. Seems to be a very elusive whiff of fruit, and that's all. Flavor is slicky sweet with what one would guess to be the pomegranate , but doesn't really seem like it too much. I am sure it is just another pouring of syrup into the beer kinda thing. At least this one has some decent wheat character to it. And it seems like the warmer it gets, the more even it becomes. I am actually sitting here thinking that I might give a 4 on flavor, so I will. That surprises me as most of these pomegranate wheats just end up being totally weak. This one at least has some positive attributes. Feel is a bit of a tingle on the tongue from carbonation and who knows what else. Liquid is kind of doughy. This ends up being pretty drinkable actually. Though it seems to be better warmer than cold.

RblWthACoz, Dec 31, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Got this in a mixed pack from a holiday beer club event. Out of the 24 different and sometimes exotic beers, this was the one that my girlfriend was looking forward to sampling most. Girls and pomegranate, huh?

It pours with a two-finger white head that dissipated quickly, but not without leaving some lacing. It’s a nice golden haze, with lots of bubbles floating through the glass during the duration of the session.

The nose isn’t very distinguished. It smells like any other summertime citrus wheat. I think more grapefruit then anything else.

It has a nice tart taste from the pomegranate. There is a lot of citrus notes. A little sour, and not extremely smooth, but there is a nice balance from the hops and fruit.

Something that I would definitely like to try more of, and would probably make a nice session beer for a ball game over summer.

sjohansen, Dec 29, 2007