Kidd Lager - The Fort Collins Brewery

good

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

"A hint of smoked malt compliments the chocolate malt in this surprisingly light bodied Schwarzbier. Experience Kidd's intriguing aroma and complex flavor as you enjoy this remarkable style of beer."

(Beer added by: RoBotGod on 03-27-2005)

2.15/5  rDev -42%

Aroma is Rauchbier-like smoky and slightly sulphury with some subdued nutty elements. Deep black with a lasting, bubbly, white head. Fore is smokey malts, peat and chocolate malt notes and more hickory-twinged smoke and peat int he finish.. I know the brewer calls this a Schwarzbier, but the smoke element is far and away the most noticeable and dominating component. Personally I think it should be classified a Smoke beer to keep people like me, who love Schwarzbiers and hate Smoke beers, away fromt his doppleganger.

2.3/5  rDev -38%

Pours a deep brown with good clarity and a big tannish head. Lots of black coffee and charcoal on the nose with a touch of leather. As the beer airs out some chocolate and smokey roastiness become present on the nose as well.

Head retains very well, big and clumpy. Very thin in body. Touches of smokiness with a good deal of roasted malt flavors. Some charcoal and chocolate on the pallete as well. Flavors come across at random times and wouldn't be terrible if it weren't for the water like consistency of the beer.

Good flavors despite them being all over the place. The thinness really ruins this beer though. Thin bodies have their place but the flavors of a schwarzbier hold up better in something a little thicker.

pours dark dark brown almost black 1 finger head no lacing

smells of sour apples? and some chocolate

taste just does not mesh well - sour fruiit chocolate roasted malts and smoke - just a mess

mouthfeel was nice and light with ok carbonation

drinkability is low - dont care for the taste dont care to drink again

2.3/5  rDev -38%

A: 12 oz bottle. 1 finger frothy head fades fast, heavy lacing, looks like coke in color....

S: strang chocalate, burnt/smokey smell

T/M: strong carbonation like coke heavy and then fades like flat cola.

D: taste like it smells with a heavy burnt coffee aftertaste...not very good

2.33/5  rDev -37.2%

Odd looking beer. I keep asking myself if this is a lager or not. The taste follows. Very dry and stale. If I had to guess this was a messed up stout. I drank a whole 6 pack and found that some were a little different then the others. I don’t quite know what the Fort Collins brewery was trying to do on this one. If you like dark stale beer, this is for you!

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

This was a very mediocre beer for me. I was neither in love nor hated it. It tasted a bit chalky and strangely like some piece of metal I couldn't place.
The appearance was more decent than my rating but its misleading me makes me rate it lower.
Not something I would recommend by any means. Fort Collins Brewery has a lot more to offer.

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

Was Billy the Kid from Germany? Nice name for a schwarzbier. The pour is a darker brown hue with great clarity. A nice foamy head that reamined for a while but did dies eventually. Good lacing while it lasted as well.

The nose was malty. A noticeable grainy character with chocolate and caramel notes being the most detectable. Some hints of roasted and maybe a touch of bready characteristics as well. The yeast smell is also present that is specific to FCB. Not much of a german feel, but more of a English porter.

The taste is a little different. A smoother taste that is more malty the grainy. The chocolate presence is still noticeable but subtle with a lactic feel. A sweeter flavor of caramel really throws off a light smokey taste that reminds me more of liquid smoke than anything else. This is skewed by a somewhat lemony citrus finish. Overall the balance between sweet and sour if off.

The body is has a more mid then light feel to it. Carbonation is a little light. Overall I just don't feel this is a schwarz and there is a sweet and sour thing going on that just doesn't feel right. Maybe its me.

2.45/5  rDev -34%

A dark ruby-brown, not quite opaque, with a 1 finger tan head. What else can you do with this brew, other than improve the head a little.

I'm mostly getting...smoked bacon? I don't get any hops coming through, though that isn't necessarily bad. I want to say there is some sweetness, but I'm not sure I just want there to be. Smokiness is soft yet still overpowering.

Tastes like smoked bacon. I guess that I can get behind some smoked malt, and it isn't too strong in this one and I am sure nicely balanced, but I love schwarzbiers and this one takes what I like away from them. A nice toasty maltiness with some balanced hop bitterness, like a savory version of stout. The smoked malt covers up a lot in this brew and I would care to try a non-smoked version.

Mouthfeel is fine. High in dextrins yet dry enough for a lager. Not syrupy.

I'm not a fan. Not that I am a purest or anything, but all I can taste is the smoked malt. This beer lacks the complexity of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%

While our 11 tasters appreciated the "chocolate tones" of the beer, no one loved it. It was received as too bitter, and the lack of body kept our stout lovers from really getting into it. One commented, in colorful language, that Jesse James was more virile. One of our hop-heads thought it "tastes like the living room smells."

It is worth pointing out that most of our tasters were unfamiliar with schwarzbier, and so they were thrown when a "lager" came out black and "smelling like a porter." That cognitive dissonance probably contributed somewhat to the low rating.

Overall: 2.8

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a true imperial pint glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average on account of the brewery.

A: Pours a four finger head of tan colour, great cream lacing, good thickness, and impressive retention - though in fairness the ABV is rather low.

Sm: Heavy roast is the first thing I get, followed by chocolate, heavy caramel, and smoked malt. Very appealing. A strong aroma.

T: Smokey flavour evocative of rauchbiers more than black lagers. The chocolate and caramel from the nose are nowhere to be found, eclipsed by the smoke. This ruins the balance. It's built decently, but without subtlety or inspiration. A bit simple, actually.

Mf: Slightly coarse and wet. More wet towards the third act. It doesn't really suit the flavour.

Dr: Overall, it's largely unremarkable. Rauchbier fanatics may be attracted on account of the smokey notes, but the bad balance and lack of complexity turn me off to it.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours a dark brown/light black clear color. Smells of German hops and roast barley. Tastes like nice and strong roasted malts, much more roasty than a Koestritzer, which I think is great. Also much hoppier than the German version of this beer, which again is fine because the beer's authors stick to clean spicy and earthy hops. But this beer misses the whole point of the Schwartzbier; the roast flavor is not balanced with maltiness or brisk sulphury yeast flavor! Kidd needs much more Munich malt and a more flavorful German lager yeast. As it is, this beer comes across as a subdued stout, and I like my stouts to be more roasty and more estery, thank you very much. Kidd's designers seem to have simply applied the American beer transformation to a Schwartzbier: clean up the yeast, simplify the lightly-kilned malts, and accentuate the highly-kilned malts and hops. I understand that this will sell, but it's just a formulaic interpretation.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nooo! I was really looking forward to this one--especially since they only put two in each sample case. Schwarzbier is one of my favorite styles and I actively seek them out where I can. This one poured beautifully, rich black/mahogany in the glass with a gorgeous tan to brown head. Subtle hint of (smoky?) malts in the nose and then that initial taste. Rich roasted malt and then (ugh!) smoked malts! Like drinking a great black lager mixed with the ashes of a campfire. Definitely not as bad as a Rauchbier, but the same smoked malts render the Schwarzbier only moderately drinkable (unless you're a smoked malt fan... and I'm not). Sorry, but just couldn't give this a better rating.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

I was about to trade for some of this when it started popping up on my local shelves.

Note: Empty BB/BO date box on the bottom left corner of the label.

Poured into my Ommegang Anniversary glass. Frothy coffee creamer-colored head that completely whitewashes the sides of the glass. A dash darker then the color of what Guinness passes for these days.

The smell of malted milk balls, a touch of hazelnut syrup, & a ticklishly sharp edge of caramel & nutmeg.

Smoke is at least somewhat evident in the taste, somewhat. I was looking forward to that part. Coffee backs that up in a bigger way then I'd like. Roasted sweetness is all up front, with minuscule flavors of cream, salt, & tin in between. An earthy bitterness accompanies a "newspaper between your fingers"(smoked?)finish.

Minute amount of carbonation, & a thin feel, which is helpful, but it only evens out the dryness developing on my tongue.

It tastes like a flat stout. Do with that what you will. Sam Adams Black Lager is a better choice at two bucks cheaper a six.

Kidd Lager from The Fort Collins Brewery