Kidd Lager - The Fort Collins Brewery

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Beaver13 on 02-01-2004

"A hint of smoked malt compliments the chocolate malt in this surprisingly light bodied Schwarzbier. Experience Kidd's intriguing aroma and complex flavor as you enjoy this remarkable style of beer."
2.15/5  rDev -43.1%

Aroma is Rauchbier-like smoky and slightly sulphury with some subdued nutty elements. Deep black with a lasting, bubbly, white head. Fore is smokey malts, peat and chocolate malt notes and more hickory-twinged smoke and peat int he finish.. I know the brewer calls this a Schwarzbier, but the smoke element is far and away the most noticeable and dominating component. Personally I think it should be classified a Smoke beer to keep people like me, who love Schwarzbiers and hate Smoke beers, away fromt his doppleganger. (521 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -39.4%

A: 12 oz bottle. 1 finger frothy head fades fast, heavy lacing, looks like coke in color....

S: strang chocalate, burnt/smokey smell

T/M: strong carbonation like coke heavy and then fades like flat cola.

D: taste like it smells with a heavy burnt coffee aftertaste...not very good (284 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a deep brown with good clarity and a big tannish head. Lots of black coffee and charcoal on the nose with a touch of leather. As the beer airs out some chocolate and smokey roastiness become present on the nose as well.

Head retains very well, big and clumpy. Very thin in body. Touches of smokiness with a good deal of roasted malt flavors. Some charcoal and chocolate on the pallete as well. Flavors come across at random times and wouldn't be terrible if it weren't for the water like consistency of the beer.

Good flavors despite them being all over the place. The thinness really ruins this beer though. Thin bodies have their place but the flavors of a schwarzbier hold up better in something a little thicker. (725 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Odd looking beer. I keep asking myself if this is a lager or not. The taste follows. Very dry and stale. If I had to guess this was a messed up stout. I drank a whole 6 pack and found that some were a little different then the others. I don’t quite know what the Fort Collins brewery was trying to do on this one. If you like dark stale beer, this is for you! (360 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

pours dark dark brown almost black 1 finger head no lacing

smells of sour apples? and some chocolate

taste just does not mesh well - sour fruiit chocolate roasted malts and smoke - just a mess

mouthfeel was nice and light with ok carbonation

drinkability is low - dont care for the taste dont care to drink again (316 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -37%

This was a very mediocre beer for me. I was neither in love nor hated it. It tasted a bit chalky and strangely like some piece of metal I couldn't place.
The appearance was more decent than my rating but its misleading me makes me rate it lower.
Not something I would recommend by any means. Fort Collins Brewery has a lot more to offer. (337 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -37%

Was Billy the Kid from Germany? Nice name for a schwarzbier. The pour is a darker brown hue with great clarity. A nice foamy head that reamined for a while but did dies eventually. Good lacing while it lasted as well.

The nose was malty. A noticeable grainy character with chocolate and caramel notes being the most detectable. Some hints of roasted and maybe a touch of bready characteristics as well. The yeast smell is also present that is specific to FCB. Not much of a german feel, but more of a English porter.

The taste is a little different. A smoother taste that is more malty the grainy. The chocolate presence is still noticeable but subtle with a lactic feel. A sweeter flavor of caramel really throws off a light smokey taste that reminds me more of liquid smoke than anything else. This is skewed by a somewhat lemony citrus finish. Overall the balance between sweet and sour if off.

The body is has a more mid then light feel to it. Carbonation is a little light. Overall I just don't feel this is a schwarz and there is a sweet and sour thing going on that just doesn't feel right. Maybe its me. (1,122 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

A dark ruby-brown, not quite opaque, with a 1 finger tan head. What else can you do with this brew, other than improve the head a little.

I'm mostly getting...smoked bacon? I don't get any hops coming through, though that isn't necessarily bad. I want to say there is some sweetness, but I'm not sure I just want there to be. Smokiness is soft yet still overpowering.

Tastes like smoked bacon. I guess that I can get behind some smoked malt, and it isn't too strong in this one and I am sure nicely balanced, but I love schwarzbiers and this one takes what I like away from them. A nice toasty maltiness with some balanced hop bitterness, like a savory version of stout. The smoked malt covers up a lot in this brew and I would care to try a non-smoked version.

Mouthfeel is fine. High in dextrins yet dry enough for a lager. Not syrupy.

I'm not a fan. Not that I am a purest or anything, but all I can taste is the smoked malt. This beer lacks the complexity of the style. (979 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a true imperial pint glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average on account of the brewery.

A: Pours a four finger head of tan colour, great cream lacing, good thickness, and impressive retention - though in fairness the ABV is rather low.

Sm: Heavy roast is the first thing I get, followed by chocolate, heavy caramel, and smoked malt. Very appealing. A strong aroma.

T: Smokey flavour evocative of rauchbiers more than black lagers. The chocolate and caramel from the nose are nowhere to be found, eclipsed by the smoke. This ruins the balance. It's built decently, but without subtlety or inspiration. A bit simple, actually.

Mf: Slightly coarse and wet. More wet towards the third act. It doesn't really suit the flavour.

Dr: Overall, it's largely unremarkable. Rauchbier fanatics may be attracted on account of the smokey notes, but the bad balance and lack of complexity turn me off to it. (1,020 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -28%

While our 11 tasters appreciated the "chocolate tones" of the beer, no one loved it. It was received as too bitter, and the lack of body kept our stout lovers from really getting into it. One commented, in colorful language, that Jesse James was more virile. One of our hop-heads thought it "tastes like the living room smells."

It is worth pointing out that most of our tasters were unfamiliar with schwarzbier, and so they were thrown when a "lager" came out black and "smelling like a porter." That cognitive dissonance probably contributed somewhat to the low rating.

Overall: 2.8 (586 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nooo! I was really looking forward to this one--especially since they only put two in each sample case. Schwarzbier is one of my favorite styles and I actively seek them out where I can. This one poured beautifully, rich black/mahogany in the glass with a gorgeous tan to brown head. Subtle hint of (smoky?) malts in the nose and then that initial taste. Rich roasted malt and then (ugh!) smoked malts! Like drinking a great black lager mixed with the ashes of a campfire. Definitely not as bad as a Rauchbier, but the same smoked malts render the Schwarzbier only moderately drinkable (unless you're a smoked malt fan... and I'm not). Sorry, but just couldn't give this a better rating. (687 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown/light black clear color. Smells of German hops and roast barley. Tastes like nice and strong roasted malts, much more roasty than a Koestritzer, which I think is great. Also much hoppier than the German version of this beer, which again is fine because the beer's authors stick to clean spicy and earthy hops. But this beer misses the whole point of the Schwartzbier; the roast flavor is not balanced with maltiness or brisk sulphury yeast flavor! Kidd needs much more Munich malt and a more flavorful German lager yeast. As it is, this beer comes across as a subdued stout, and I like my stouts to be more roasty and more estery, thank you very much. Kidd's designers seem to have simply applied the American beer transformation to a Schwartzbier: clean up the yeast, simplify the lightly-kilned malts, and accentuate the highly-kilned malts and hops. I understand that this will sell, but it's just a formulaic interpretation. (947 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

I was about to trade for some of this when it started popping up on my local shelves.

Note: Empty BB/BO date box on the bottom left corner of the label.

Poured into my Ommegang Anniversary glass. Frothy coffee creamer-colored head that completely whitewashes the sides of the glass. A dash darker then the color of what Guinness passes for these days.

The smell of malted milk balls, a touch of hazelnut syrup, & a ticklishly sharp edge of caramel & nutmeg.

Smoke is at least somewhat evident in the taste, somewhat. I was looking forward to that part. Coffee backs that up in a bigger way then I'd like. Roasted sweetness is all up front, with minuscule flavors of cream, salt, & tin in between. An earthy bitterness accompanies a "newspaper between your fingers"(smoked?)finish.

Minute amount of carbonation, & a thin feel, which is helpful, but it only evens out the dryness developing on my tongue.

It tastes like a flat stout. Do with that what you will. Sam Adams Black Lager is a better choice at two bucks cheaper a six. (1,036 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Very dark, black that gives off a wine red color in light. Clumpy mocha-colored head, decent retention that leaves some sticky lacing down the glass.

S: Small hint of milk chocolate, get a good sense of smoke, ash. Get a really slighty spicy smell as well.

T: Not much hits you right away. There is some slight roasted malt sweetness at the front but doesn't last long. Get some sense of grapefruit in the aftertaste. Dry and sour finish, a tad astringent.

M: Thin, a little watery.

D: It is technically easy to drink, and it wasn't unbearable, but there wasn't much to it. No noticeable flavors hit me right away or lingered very long. The aftertaste is a tad sour which would keep me from drinking a couple in one sitting. (731 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Had this one at the brewery yesterday. Appearance is of a dark chocolate with creamy coffee foam that quickly disappears. Aroma has burnt coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and vanilla. This is a lager? Initial taste has stale coffee, toast, a hint of dark fruit, burnt sugar and bitter hops. Body is medium, well carbonated. Finish is slightly bitter, not sweet. (359 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%

I purchased this at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, MA as I enjoy many of the craft lagers. When I opened the bottle, I was overwhelmed by the roasted malt (or something similar) smell. It sure didn't smell like a lager. Then I poured and was surprised by the dark coloring. Guess I should have read the small print on the label which indicated this was a Black Lager. No wonder the smell surprised me.

I'm usually not a big fan of this type of beer as I much prefer hoppier beers. However, I would imagine this might be a very sessionable beer for others as it had a light body and mouthfeel. Had I been blindfolded, I would probably have guessed I was drinking a Guinness.

Not a bad product but I wouldn't purchase it again. Next time I'll read the small print rather than make an assumption. (793 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Not overly impressed by this beer (however I'm not much of a fan of the style in general)..found this in the back of the fridge, no idea where it came from. looks nice poured out of the bottle, but with a quickly disappearing head.

1. Looks, 2. smells, 3. tastes: Chocolate. All the way. Burnt malts too, and maybe some coffee; I feel like I should be drinking this in the morning to wake up. Didn't want to finish it. Eh.. (424 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -18%

A: Dark chocolate brown with a garnet undertone. Tan head pours big then dies back quickly. Largely still.

S: The smoke aroma of roast grain and caramel notes fuse to create a toasted nut and toffee scent. Could be more robust.

T: Really very mild malt character on the palate. Neutral and not overtly sweet. The roasted malt is not impressive. The bitterness rolls in at the end but is not very significant either. Dry lasting finish. The flavor is just not robust or prominent.

M: Average head retention. Still. Thin even for a lager.

D: Average beer. A change of pace from a basic lager and enjoyable enough to have a second but still just average. (655 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -18%

Poured into my FCB pint glass, dark brown/almost black. Very little head, just constant lacing the whole time. The aroma is of slightly toasted malts, a hint of dark chocolate, somewhat sweet. The taste is somewhat interesting. I guess it is the chocolate malts but every sip I get a toasted marshmallow that picks up about 1/2 way thru then finishes and just lingers. The sweet chocolate sticks to the tongue a bit but there is very little bitterness. Very drinkable, enjoyed it but not the best from FCB by far. (513 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

Another one from the Lunchbox...

A - My 1st Black Lager so everything is shocking me... Pours jet black with a small tan head and little lace.

S - Chocolaty breads and sweetness. Very clean.

T - Interesting mix of smokey chocolate flavors and sweetness. Tastes like a Blonde?

M - Medium body and carbo. my mind sees Stout and expects more.

D - Nice finisher but not more than 1 or 2. (388 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

A - We'll just call it black. No light coming through. Three-finger soapy, tan head quickly settles to thin collar. Leaves some patchy lacing.

S - Roasted dark malts. Slight hint of dark chocolate. Not getting much else.

T/M - Lots of smokiness. Bitter dark chocolate. Finishes very dry. Light body, almost watery. Light carbonation.

O - Easily drinkable and decent enough. I likely won't pick up more, but willing to check out some of their other offerings. (461 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%

I did not feel that there was too much to this beer. The carbonation was weak and it was a little less than average to look at. It a very thin line of head and there was no lace. It did have a deep dark brown body. The aroma is reminiscent of burnt coffee but in an alright way. Its flavor has bit of a smoky finish that gives it some redeeming qualities. The mouthfeel is medium and average. (392 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14%

Dark choclate brown, with some light breaking through uner a finger of cream... Smells of burnt roasty malts and some cocoa. Similar flavor with burnt marshmallow happening with the sweetness. Medium light body gives a good depth to the beer, minimal carbonation is nice as well. Really a nice solid basic American version of a german black beer (345 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours an opaque black with glistening ruby highlights when held up to the light. The Kidd put up a finger of off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a decent amount of lacing around the glass. Looks good.

In the nose, I can smell some smoky malt, a little chocolate, and some earthiness. Not exciting, but not bad either.

The taste and mouthfeel let me down a little bit. Still good flavor, the smokiness is there up front with a tiny amount of caramel malt and chocolate, followed up by the earthy hop finish. Still, it was a little bland and somewhat acidic, and the mouthfeel was pretty thin. I know this is part of the style, but it was pretty watery for me.

Overall, this is a beer I probably won't search out again, but if I have one handed to me I certainly wouldn't turn it away. It's good, but the Sam Adams Black Lager I had in this style was better. (880 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

The bottle says drinks like a blonde , not true.
This bottle came from the sampler pack.
A- A beautiful medium chocolate brown with a small tan head that disappears quickly and completely.

S- The smell is faintly smokey with a small amount of sweet.

T- The taste is overpowering smokey. Not enjoyable for me. Revisted 5/17/13 not to smokey at just a little roasty.

D- I will not buy again, but I have to finish the couple included in the sampler. (449 characters)

Kidd Lager from The Fort Collins Brewery