Kidd Lager - The Fort Collins Brewery

good

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.50% ABV

"A hint of smoked malt compliments the chocolate malt in this surprisingly light bodied Schwarzbier. Experience Kidd's intriguing aroma and complex flavor as you enjoy this remarkable style of beer."

(Beer added by: RoBotGod on 03-27-2005)

A: Very dark, black that gives off a wine red color in light. Clumpy mocha-colored head, decent retention that leaves some sticky lacing down the glass.

S: Small hint of milk chocolate, get a good sense of smoke, ash. Get a really slighty spicy smell as well.

T: Not much hits you right away. There is some slight roasted malt sweetness at the front but doesn't last long. Get some sense of grapefruit in the aftertaste. Dry and sour finish, a tad astringent.

M: Thin, a little watery.

D: It is technically easy to drink, and it wasn't unbearable, but there wasn't much to it. No noticeable flavors hit me right away or lingered very long. The aftertaste is a tad sour which would keep me from drinking a couple in one sitting.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Dark chocolate brown with a garnet undertone. Tan head pours big then dies back quickly. Largely still.

S: The smoke aroma of roast grain and caramel notes fuse to create a toasted nut and toffee scent. Could be more robust.

T: Really very mild malt character on the palate. Neutral and not overtly sweet. The roasted malt is not impressive. The bitterness rolls in at the end but is not very significant either. Dry lasting finish. The flavor is just not robust or prominent.

M: Average head retention. Still. Thin even for a lager.

D: Average beer. A change of pace from a basic lager and enjoyable enough to have a second but still just average.

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Had this one at the brewery yesterday. Appearance is of a dark chocolate with creamy coffee foam that quickly disappears. Aroma has burnt coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and vanilla. This is a lager? Initial taste has stale coffee, toast, a hint of dark fruit, burnt sugar and bitter hops. Body is medium, well carbonated. Finish is slightly bitter, not sweet.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Not overly impressed by this beer (however I'm not much of a fan of the style in general)..found this in the back of the fridge, no idea where it came from. looks nice poured out of the bottle, but with a quickly disappearing head.

1. Looks, 2. smells, 3. tastes: Chocolate. All the way. Burnt malts too, and maybe some coffee; I feel like I should be drinking this in the morning to wake up. Didn't want to finish it. Eh..

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

I purchased this at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, MA as I enjoy many of the craft lagers. When I opened the bottle, I was overwhelmed by the roasted malt (or something similar) smell. It sure didn't smell like a lager. Then I poured and was surprised by the dark coloring. Guess I should have read the small print on the label which indicated this was a Black Lager. No wonder the smell surprised me.

I'm usually not a big fan of this type of beer as I much prefer hoppier beers. However, I would imagine this might be a very sessionable beer for others as it had a light body and mouthfeel. Had I been blindfolded, I would probably have guessed I was drinking a Guinness.

Not a bad product but I wouldn't purchase it again. Next time I'll read the small print rather than make an assumption.

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured into my FCB pint glass, dark brown/almost black. Very little head, just constant lacing the whole time. The aroma is of slightly toasted malts, a hint of dark chocolate, somewhat sweet. The taste is somewhat interesting. I guess it is the chocolate malts but every sip I get a toasted marshmallow that picks up about 1/2 way thru then finishes and just lingers. The sweet chocolate sticks to the tongue a bit but there is very little bitterness. Very drinkable, enjoyed it but not the best from FCB by far.

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

Another one from the Lunchbox...

A - My 1st Black Lager so everything is shocking me... Pours jet black with a small tan head and little lace.

S - Chocolaty breads and sweetness. Very clean.

T - Interesting mix of smokey chocolate flavors and sweetness. Tastes like a Blonde?

M - Medium body and carbo. my mind sees Stout and expects more.

D - Nice finisher but not more than 1 or 2.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours an opaque black with glistening ruby highlights when held up to the light. The Kidd put up a finger of off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a decent amount of lacing around the glass. Looks good.

In the nose, I can smell some smoky malt, a little chocolate, and some earthiness. Not exciting, but not bad either.

The taste and mouthfeel let me down a little bit. Still good flavor, the smokiness is there up front with a tiny amount of caramel malt and chocolate, followed up by the earthy hop finish. Still, it was a little bland and somewhat acidic, and the mouthfeel was pretty thin. I know this is part of the style, but it was pretty watery for me.

Overall, this is a beer I probably won't search out again, but if I have one handed to me I certainly wouldn't turn it away. It's good, but the Sam Adams Black Lager I had in this style was better.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

The bottle says drinks like a blonde , not true.
This bottle came from the sampler pack.
A- A beautiful medium chocolate brown with a small tan head that disappears quickly and completely.

S- The smell is faintly smokey with a small amount of sweet.

T- The taste is overpowering smokey. Not enjoyable for me. Revisted 5/17/13 not to smokey at just a little roasty.

D- I will not buy again, but I have to finish the couple included in the sampler.

Kidd Lager from The Fort Collins Brewery