Rocky Mountain IPA - The Fort Collins Brewery

Rocky Mountain IPARocky Mountain IPA

good

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 06-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rocky Mountain IPA Alström Bros

BigGameBeerHunter, Apr 08, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +36.5%

My local beer bar recently started carrying Fort Collins - the first time I've seen these beers in New Jersey.

Let me get straight to the point: Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA is hands down the best IPA I've ever had. Put this in a blind taste test with a better known, great IPA like Bear Republic Racer 5 and the better known is going down in smoke.

Rocky Mountain is the perfect balance of hops and sweetness, carbonation, aroma and aftertaste. It simply is the perfect IPA - or as close to it as I've ever had.

Okay, I know I should do the appearance, aroma, taste thing everyone else does. But I don't have time. I'm off to have another Rocky Mountain IPA.

IronGiant, Jan 04, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: pours a nice caramel color, with a white two finger head that stays for a while leaving a nice thick lacing on the glass

S: Very sweet aroma and earthy hops

T: Sweet molasses, bready notes, very sticky on the lips combined with the perfect balance of hops and bitterness

M: full body

jcbogantes, Jul 27, 2013

BellsFan, Mar 10, 2012

MarshMan71, Mar 30, 2013

JakeZWord, Aug 31, 2013

ordybill, Sep 05, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. Slightly hazy amber color with two fingers of off white head. Decent retention and very good lacing. Looks like a malty ipa.

Smell is real good. Citrus hops dominate with maybe some malt sweetness. Grassy sweet hop smell that makes you want to take a quaff.

Taste is outstanding. Great hop start, hop middle, and hop finish. Really good balance. Full bodied and nearly perfect hop malt balance. Lingering hoppiness that reminds you what you're drinking.

Mouthfeel is very smooth with good carbonation. Maybe a little more carbonation would be nice but still good. Because of the great malt backbone it seems full bodied.

Overall a very good ipa. Balanced and definitely enough hop for a hop head to enjoy. I haven't had this in a few years because of distribution problems and I'm glad it's available. Highly recommended.

dbell23, Sep 22, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

A - Pours as a deeper orange than expected; great clarity and expected ipa head.

S - This is where it gets me - incredible malty sweetness. If you brew yourself, you immediately recognize this aroma as a brew house. I love it - malty with slight sweetness, smells like my wort if boiling as I sip.

T - Matches the aroma perfectly. I like my tastes to match my aromas, and this does it for me - malty, dry, sweetness. Very unique for an IPA, and that's why I like it.

M - Maltiness stays with the after tastes, and remains in your mouth like most richer tasting beers. However, I wouldn't call this a rich ale.

O - I love this IPA. I am a big fan of "different", and this beer does it for me. It is a malty, hoppy, IPA that provides deep, robust flavors. It is the first IPA that I would call more malty than hoppy. Love it.

jowilant, Apr 05, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Think, nice firm solid pour. The body is deep copper. The head is light tan and foamy standing at a quarter inch but quickly backing to an eighth.

S - Smokey hops aroma, very much wanting to be tasted!

T - It starts out minimal and then moves to a peak after a few seconds. Then is fades but somehow returns in an afterthought. Very nice flavor. One of the best IPA tastes I have enjoyed.

M - The touch of the brew is also nothing but prefect. The feel and flavors of this beer feed off one another creating NEAR perfection.

D - I have a beer here that I could certainly enjoy time and time again. The look, touch, aroma, and of course, the taste. This beer is an instant favorite.

cdkrenz, Oct 27, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours a nice big soft pillowy head with a very sticky lacing. I could smell this when I was pouring it, I love it. It's dark caramel color is almost brown and looks great. Hoppy and bitter grapefruity aroma is sweet and wonderful. Taste is big on hops and there's also earthy hops that come out in the taste. The hop character is very good and complex. Mouthfeel is nice, a little overcarbonated and harsh, but not too bad. Overall I think I have found my new session beer now that Alpha King is gone.

Erdinger2003, Sep 19, 2007

RollTide05, Sep 20, 2012

jjholt, Feb 17, 2012

grahamboudreaux, Mar 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured into a pint glass with nice off white 1 finger head with a nice clear pale-amber color.

Smell was fruity, butterscotch, sweet malts and very hoppy.

Taste was awesome explosion of bitter hops and lots of sweet malt followed by the huge hop bitterness with a nice bitter aftetaste. This is one of my favorite IPA's. I'll be BOCK!

This beer feeds the hop craving we all desire in an IPA! Awesome beer to wake up your taste buds for hop bitterness with some malt sweetness to keep the hops in check.

shohog, Apr 25, 2009

Mikeymcglynnigan, Apr 11, 2012

SteinTilter, Jan 13, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter. No freshness date.

A- From a semi-heavy pour comes a one and a half finger head that retains nicely and boasts some cool lacing. The brew has a solid medium copper color. The head eventually slumps down to an 1/8 inch with full surface coverage from the foam as the lacing continues.

S- Wafts of cereal grain sweetness at first over top of citrusy hop aromas. Also has some biscuity tones and a strange "off" smell that's kind of funky but not in a yeasty way. Hard to describe, but I like it.

T- More cereal grain sweetness that accompanies the hops which, in turn, create only a mild bitterness that lingers for the perfect amount of time. Enough power to prove that it's a good IPA with enough restraint to know when to say "when." Well done.

M- Medium-high carbonation provides plenty of soft foam that massages the tongue with a delicate touch. A creamy body with plenty of snap from the hops and alcohol.

O- My first FCB purchase is a great one! Very satisfied.

Immortale25, Dec 08, 2011
4.48/5  rDev +23.1%

Purchased as part of a mixed 12 pack sampler.
6.2% ABV, 81 IBU, 12 SRM. No ingredients listed per the website or bottle.

Pours out to a slightly hazy copper, forming a tall yellow head with excellent retention and really nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs. The nose is really nice. Pine, tropical fruit, strawberries, biscuit malt and toasty grain husks. The mouthfeel is bright, with a medium hoppy acidity, a drying astringency in the aftertaste, and a medium body. The taste opens with the piney hops (something I prefer in IPA,s over the grapefruit variety) with a touch of skunkweed hops, then is followed by the toasted grain husk, a hint of biscuit, and some strawberries in the finish. Bitterness is medium-firm, but not overbearing. Finishes pleasantly dry re:body as well as astringency. Aftertaste of black tea. No appreciable off-flavors or aromas.

A really nice IPA. I really enjoyed this, and it was definitely the best out of the sampler. With the piney hops, this reminds me of something Stone would brew. Well-balanced as far as IPA's go..definitely has a west coast vibe. Would buy it again when in the mood for something like this.

Mitchster, Oct 08, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

I am getting ready to show some love!
Poured a beautiful rich amber plus orange marmalade color. A chilled bottle to room temp glass. Head rose quickly but not far and then subsided to a thin perimeter of bubbles.
Aroma-some caramel notes meld with the floral bouquet that gives way to some coniferous hops. Very rich and you know this one is going to be juicy!
Mouthfeel-medium carbonation lets this one coat the tongue where a multitude of astringent and floral hops finally fade to reveal some pale malt flavors. A froth on the palate sweetens it up and lets the citrus come through. This is tasty, refreshing and captures a lot of hop profiles from smell to taste to finish. Killer IPA and at 6.2% keeps it quaffable to at least three pints. Much respect to FC brewery whose recipe on this one kicks ass!

ByTor2112, Jun 09, 2009