Rocky Mountain IPA - The Fort Collins Brewery

Rocky Mountain IPARocky Mountain IPA

good

The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: rowew on 06-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rocky Mountain IPA Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Medium amber with a red tint. Good tan head on top.

S: A little bit of pine and citrus. Some husky grain smells in there as well.

T: A good bit of bitterness, mostly in the form of pine. There is a bit of caramel in it.

M: Medium Light in body, carbonation seems a bit high for me in this one.

O: A good beer, but not a great one. There is nothing wrong with it, but then again there isn't anything amazing about it.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Copper/amber in color, with a rather moderate head of foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt, faint citrus note.
Taste-Full-on piney, resinous hops. Coarse hop flavor throughout and long, lingering hop bitterness. Cries out for a food match of spicy Shechuan or tangy hot wings.

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

A- Pours an amber color, with decent head. Way to dark for an IPA, looks ok.

S- Pine, Grass, a bit of citrus. Decent nose.

T- really bitter off the bat that dissipates quickly with little lingering. Pine, earth, grass, unbalanced towards the hops, with none of the big citrus that I love from my IPAs.

M- clean, a bit thick for an IPA but good carbonation.

O- Eeeh, overall not a great IPA for my tastes, not a single distinguishing factor and tastes like a mediocre IPA. would pass, better than ranger, but no where near Odell IPA or any other top notch IPA.

I really like this IPA. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive in TN where I'm from. It was about $11 for a six pack. Many other micro IPAs I can get at or below $10. If the beer were cheaper I'd drink a lot more of it, because it is delicious. I'll get a six pack when I have some extra cash!

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Pint pour at Canal Street Pub, Reading, PA

A – Misty amber, red wood bark
S – Floral meadow, sweet and crisp wild flowers
T – Starts smooth but early malt /hop balance is nudged then shoved aside for strong bittering hops
M – Mimics taste profile, nice and easy up front, sharp and bitter in the back
D – strong initial attraction in the nose followed by lingering bitterness leads to a follow-on selection

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Looks like an amber ale. Smells like an amber ale.

Taste, a little more hops are noticeable, definitely would describe this as balanced. Some slight pine and wood flavor to it. Toasty malt. Bitterness is a little more than I like when contrasted with the hop mouthfeel. Warming effect of the alcohol here, not over the top, but not hiding either.

At times I wondered if this had a 20% or less rye composition. A decent offering.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz bottle served in pint glass. Modicum of sediment in bottle added mid-taste.

Pours with ample 1-finger head that has good duration. Hazy amber/orange color.

A - Fine aroma that is markedly fruity and floral, with a lightly toasted malt background. Some but not all, of the fruitiness seems to be from citrus-toned hops. Slightly earthy.

T- Substantial malt sweetness is initially evident but quickly gives way to a good hit of bitter hops, although malt flavor remains. Slightly woodsy (neither good nor bad IMO). A piney aspect is less obvious in the aroma than in the flavor. Excellent citrus/pine tinted hoppy finish where the remaining malt sweetness wears off quickly leaving a more bitter, but not unpleasant, lingering aftertaste dominated by hops. Rating near 4.5.

The mouthfeel is good, being typical for style. Moderate (i.e., well chosen) carbonation. Rather crisp with a semi-dry finish.

O - a very pleasant and easy to recommend IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tinted orange in body with white bubbly head that's stays. Sweet aroma of malt, fig, hop spice and maple. Tastes of hop spice, grass, slight lemon skin, earth and herbs, rye, slightly bitter and dry. Light in body and in carbonation. Sessionable but the unsweetened toffee and hop spice are a bit overwhelming.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

I have tasted quite a few brews today. Big tastes. Many have been disappointing. But this one is a nice pleasure.

It's an APA as they should be, a bit stronger and more over the top than most. It is harsh, as is SHOULD be. Hoppy and tangy.

The aroma is there, where it should be. The beer tastes warmer than it should. Must be the booze.

I recommend more of this for myself (and for you, reader).

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

A - Pours as a deeper orange than expected; great clarity and expected ipa head.

S - This is where it gets me - incredible malty sweetness. If you brew yourself, you immediately recognize this aroma as a brew house. I love it - malty with slight sweetness, smells like my wort if boiling as I sip.

T - Matches the aroma perfectly. I like my tastes to match my aromas, and this does it for me - malty, dry, sweetness. Very unique for an IPA, and that's why I like it.

M - Maltiness stays with the after tastes, and remains in your mouth like most richer tasting beers. However, I wouldn't call this a rich ale.

O - I love this IPA. I am a big fan of "different", and this beer does it for me. It is a malty, hoppy, IPA that provides deep, robust flavors. It is the first IPA that I would call more malty than hoppy. Love it.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour begins as a rather hazy orange but it turns out to be chill haze as it levels out to a clear burnt copper with a small half finger white head with spotty lacing.

Smells of molasses, raisins with a light pine resin and mild citrus aroma, the caramel malts and the yeast are on display here just more than the hops but this is an IPA right so that's quite backwards. Still rather pleasant.

Incredible malt backbone rather strong on the front, sweet bread and toasted grain, rather sweet on the initial drink and some dark fruit yeast character.A bit of grassy and citrus hops that provides some balance before a long bitter note on the finish that dries nicely. This might not have big hop taste or aroma but you feel it IPA style in the bitter department. I find this rather good, like an amber with enough hops for equal balance.

A little heavier with a sticky mouth coating but carbonation is good as well as the drink on the plate. Balanced.

Haven't been impressed with FCB lately but this IPA is actually very balanced with an appreciable bitterness. Reminiscent of Victory Hop Devil without the hop overload.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy orange yellow with a thick sticky head.

S: Citrus, piney hops, some biscuity malt in there too.

T: Bitter hops right up front, somewhat astringent and acidic. The malt balance is there but there's some sort of odd yeasty taste that I think is just a by-product of west coast IPA's. Lingering grass and grapefruit.

M: medium bodied with a nice frothy feel, coats well

D: It gets better as I drink it but overall just average in my opinion. Pretty drinkable but can't get past this yeasty backbone.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

12 ounce bottle in a wine glass

A: large off white head, clear, deep amber

S: pine, malts,

T: mild hops up fornt finishing bitter and sweet, not the crispness i was looking for

M: standard carbonation, better body than most,

D: This beer is decent, it is an average ipa.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I haven't had many Fort Collins beers, despite seeing them quite often. I've been waiting for them to come up in rotation at local bars to give them a shot and sticking with picking up bottles of stuff that's harder to find.

A: Pours a nice amber/ruby with a small, tight head. Almost got it confused with my girlfriend's Abita Amber just from the look of it.

S: Wow, tons of hops in the nose. A slight sweetness is detectable underneath it, but almost all hops, and in a big way.

T: Again, up front I'm getting lots and lots of hop bitterness, with just a tiny bit of sweetness on the end of it. I'm surprised at how assertive the hop flavor is. As it warms, I can get more malt and some caramel, too.

M: Good carbonation and a super-light body for a beer of this type.

D: Although the mouthfeel is nice, I feel that this left me with a really dry feeling and a lasting bitterness. It was okay to have one, but I can't see myself ordering these back to back ever.

Overall, this is a good beer, especially for those more interested in hoppy IPAs. I feel like it could have used a tiny bit more sweetness to balance out the flavor, but it's still an above average IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -8%

Clear, dark amber with a 1/4" of off-white head. Good lacing on the glass, and decent head retention.
Smells mainly of floral, piney hops, with some toasted malt in the back. Pretty clean.
The flavor opens with a lighter than expected toasted malt profile. The hops almost immediately jump upon the tastebuds with a dry, piney kick. A hint of pear fruitiness, though the flavor is dominated by citric and floral flavors, mainly hop bitterness. Lighter bodied than what I expect from an IPA, with moderate dryness in the finish. I like the slight, darker kilned malt flavors, which set it apart from the majority of the locally brewed IPAs. Good, but nothing way out there. I'd like a little more body, but the bitterness is strong and assertive, which is nice after a long day.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Pours a copper color with a thin tan like head. Decent lacing.

S: Hops are very present with the grapefruit like smell. Biscuits also present.

T: Not what I expected. Quite a bit of bitterness but was bit sweet and malty for an IPA.

Great beer but it reminds me more of an aggressive pale ale than an IPA. Relatively bitter but sweet and malty on the finish. As I drank the more I liked it. The combo of bitter and malt go perfect. I wish the smell was more hoppy. Great beer Fort Collins Brewing!

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a shaped pint glass. This IPA pours with a nice medium amber hue with a very slight brown undertone. The brew is entirely clear but there are an ample amount of carbonation bubbles that can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass. As it is poured, Rocky Mountain provides an inch of nice foamy, off-white head that dissipates quickly. The remaining residual head, leaves a nice amount of lacing on the side of the glass. The overall scent of the beer provides the nice earthy type of hop scent as mentioned above. There is absolutely none of the grapefruit scent other IPA's offer. The scent gives a great introduction into the taste of the brew and the type of hop flavor that will be seen. The overall taste is of strong earthy hop notes and a very slight underlying malty depth that does give the IPA a bit more body. Rocky Mountain drinks just as I would expect an IPA to with a strong carbonation tingle and a nice hop character. Overall, I found Rocky Mountain IPA to be a nice representation of the style. As has been my experience with most brews from Fort Collins, I was pleasantly happy with Rocky Mountain IPA due to its nice taste and great interpretation of the style.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Amber orange. Decent amount of head. Tons of lace on the glass! Wow, impressive.

S - Wow, strong hop aromas. Caramel. This smells fantastic.

T - Very bitter. Overwhelming almost. Piney hops. Not really tasting the malts. It gets better as you get used to it and very enjoyable by the end.

M - high carbonation. Starts, goes down, and finishes bitter.

D - Definitel enjoyable for hop heads. It's decent, but it's not smooth enough to want another.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured this bottle into a pint glass. No bottled on or bb date.

This beer pours a nice deep amber color. Again this is really the color that i would like most IPA's to have. Almost fully transparent with very little to almost no carbonation noticeable. I did not get any head out of this brew, however on most reviews i did see most people got some, so maybe just a bad pour.

The smell is amazing. I get a lot of fruit. A bit of citrus followed by massive amount of hops that are well balanced with malt. A little sweet on the pallet, but amazingly easy to drink.

The M&D are great. A nice hoppy brew that hits the mouth and then evens out a bit as you drink it more. I think this is one of the best brews that i have had that have this amazing drinkability. I really look forward to seeing more for FCB.

4.97/5  rDev +36.5%

My local beer bar recently started carrying Fort Collins - the first time I've seen these beers in New Jersey.

Let me get straight to the point: Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA is hands down the best IPA I've ever had. Put this in a blind taste test with a better known, great IPA like Bear Republic Racer 5 and the better known is going down in smoke.

Rocky Mountain is the perfect balance of hops and sweetness, carbonation, aroma and aftertaste. It simply is the perfect IPA - or as close to it as I've ever had.

Okay, I know I should do the appearance, aroma, taste thing everyone else does. But I don't have time. I'm off to have another Rocky Mountain IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with a big, fluffy white head that leaves a good amount of sticky lace. This is a good looking beer that could be improved with some carbonation streams.

The smell is piney (as it should be) hops followed by a balancing, sweet malt.

The taste is a mild version of the aroma and finishes with a dose of bitterness that lingers in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is thin towards medium with low carbonation and not quite dry.

Drinkability is fair but this beer doesn't stand out in the IPA world and just looks at the back of many IPA heads trying to see what's going on. You won't be disappointed if you're not expecting too much and then you should enjoy this one.

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a slightly hazy amber colour with a huge size creamy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation, and there is some really good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for several minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation on the tongue and the beer feels very creamy. Most of the taste is made up of caramel mixed with hops and citrus zest. There is also some pine and floral notes. The beer finishes with a bitter sweet hop aftertaste.

Drink - I've been drinking mostly IPA's lately and this beer really caught me by surprise. I picked it up without knowing anything about it and I was pleasantly surprised. It has the perfect balance of hop bitterness and caramel sweetness that I really enjoy. If you are a fan of IPA's, seek this one out. It's up there with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Celebration Ale in my books.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Superb American IPA from the the beer town of Fort Collins. Served to me in a pint glass from a bottle.

Nice and gold with average head. Big, well balanced hops, nice bitter with a dry finish. fun label. small brewery. Big beer. Good alternative to the 60min.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Good looking beer, copper color with a large frothy head.

Smells hoppy with a little pine flavors. Not too strong.

The taste is a lot more bold and with more varied flavor. Pine, grapefruit, a little malt. Hoppy from start to finish.

Good mouthfeel, easy to drink. Definitely an above average offering.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked this up at the local beverage store in Baton Rouge. First time trying Ft. Collins beer and I'm impressed. This is a very solid IPA. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, it pours a nice copper, orange color with a solid head that leaves nice lacing down the side of the glass. It has a slight spicy aroma along with nice citrus and sweet notes. Delicious hop bitterness follows a slightly sweet maltiness. Overall, it is a good IPA and when given the choice again I will pick up some more Ft. Collins Brewing.

Rocky Mountain IPA from The Fort Collins Brewery