Barrel Licked Bock - The Fort Collins Brewery

rAvg: 4
The Fort Collins Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 04-07-2009)
Reviews by PirateUlf73:
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz bomber, poured into a large mug.

A: Pours a clear dark garnet-brown color with a light-tan head.

S: Lots of sweet caramel backed by a smoky wood character. The oak doesn't overpower, but complements the aromas. Very lovely.

T: Very sweet taste with hints of caramel, vanilla, and of course, oak. Interestingly, the woodiness is not the central flavor, which I appreciated. It lets the other flavors shine and serves to tie everything together. Perhaps just a whiff of whiskey as well, but not much. I also detected an interesting orange-like note, which only added to the complexity. Bravo!

M: Almost ungodly smooth and silky. Lower carbonation and a slight alcoholic warming on the way down. Medium bodied and not too heavy. Superb!

D: An easy-drinking sipping beer, that gets even more complex as it warms and opens up.

A very interesting use of barrel aging. The wood character serves as more of a canvas than as the main attraction, which makes this brew extremely smooth and creamy. Some may be bothered by the alcohol effect on the throat, but I liked it as it reminded me that I was indeed drinking a beer, lest I forget. Perhaps it's my soft spot for bocks and their ilk, but I absolutely adore this beer. I must try to get my hands on more before they run out!

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a small off white head (even after a vigorous pour) that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is vanilla, alcohol, sweet caramel, and some smoke.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts and vanilla with a smoky lightly bitter finish. As it warms more burnt smoke comes out. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and is kind of watery.

Overall, I think I like the regular doppelbock better. This is a little too much on the sweet vanilla side and the smoke is more reserved and charred.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

I had this one on draft a couple of months ago and remember liking it quite a bit. I ended up buying a bottle recently. For some reason I was a bit skeptical, but it turns out I still think it's a very good brew. I originally had some Fort Collins smoked doppelbock two or so years ago and loved it. Then, FC didn't make any for a while, then they finally did again, but the price had gone insanely high so I didn't buy any. Now, FC released this version of the smoked doppelbock. I'm not usually a fan of barrel-aged brews so I figured I wouldn't care much for this one, but it turned out I was wrong. Curiously, this barrel-aged version of the smoked doppelbock is noticeably less expensive than the recent release of the regular smoked doppelbock.

This brew pours a clear, dark, reddish color. I'm not getting much of a head from this bottle, but I think the draft version had a nice head. The aroma is very inviting with rich toffee, moderate smoke, and a wisp of bourbon. The taste has a lovely, rich, malt character infused with a mellow smokiness. (If I remember correctly, the regular smoked doppelbock had a stronger smoke character.) Originally, I expected to be smacked over the head with a barrel-aged character from this beer, but thankfully that characteristic is fairly mild in this brew. I can smell and taste some bourbon, but it's much lighter than you usually find in a bourbon barrel beer. For my tastes, this is one of the best examples of barrel-aging out there. I'm really tired of the over-the-top oaked/bourboned/etc. beers out there in the market. The bourbon in this barrel-licked beer isn't heavy-handed and actually melds quite nicely with the malty bock and smoke flavors. This is a rich-tasting brew and would make a fine alternative to a dessert after a meal. It's not sickly sweet or too alcoholic like some brews which require sipping. Instead this brew has just the right balance and makes you want to sip it so that you can make it last as long as possible. With that being said, I think I'd prefer a 12oz bottle over the current 22oz bomber size. Additionally, I could go for a little more smoke in this brew, but honestly it's hard to find fault with the current balance of flavors. Fort Collins really nailed it with this one.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep ruby bodied tone with an off white ruby beige tinted head, the body is delicious looking. I would love to try this bock straight to compare, but the head is tightly bubbled well formed in my chalice. Lacing is fine and even with each sip, it really sticks evenly. Aromatics offer up oak barre aging characteristics, but I feel that this beer is complemented by the vanilla, charred oak, and warming alcohol blend nicely with this big doppelbock, an air of fruitiness goes in and out intertwining with the oak barreling. Not overdone like much of the barreled beers around. Flavor is full of plum and raisin sweetness with caramel and vanilla combined and a touch of boozey alcohol notes. Really well put together a touch of whiskey flavor, and all of those standard notes a doppelbock should have it is great. Mouthfeel has a fuller body with hints of cloying qualities like some sticky sugars, alcohol burn, and barrel aging scrape your teeth talk. Let this one warm up it just get's better exponentially going from to cold to warming as you drink some. Another knockout beer from Fort Collins I can't wait to try more of their special releases.

4/5  rDev 0%

Had on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a clear brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with hints of caramelized malt and lighter hints of chocolate.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smoked malt flavors up front, followed by sweet caramelized malt flavors that carry on until the end where chocolate joins in for just a second. The caramelized malt flavors stick around for a bit.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing one glass and could go for another.

Overall this is a very well done smoked bock - the smoked malts certainly have a presence but they still allow bock flavors to assert themselves. Worth a shot.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours brown body with little head, the brown becomes darker in the last glass of the bomber. Rich, boozy aroma. Initial taste is rich malty, an old ale, with some citrus, fig, grape, charred oak, a little whiskey. The finish is Little disappointing, as we are back to the base bock that doesn't not quite deliver the perfect punch, rather a little astringent and wimpy. I respect the whiskey, I had and enjoyed it straight.Bomber from Florida mail order shipper.Still smooth.

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark reddish brown color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is sweet malt and caramel with hints of vanilla and a good amount of smoke and alcohol. The aroma is a little on the faint side.

T- The taste starts out pretty smooth with a lot of malt. The smoke comes in next with a mildly bitter but smoky finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a pretty tasty beer and one that I would defintely recommend. It really starts to grown on me more and more as the glass gets emptier. I'm really digging the smokiness in the taste.

4/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. Amber pour with some off white head. Moastly oaky sweet malt aroma with hints of yellow raisin. Taste is pretty sweet, malt, caramel, toffee, vanilla. A little warm, but this is probably more because quite sweet. Moderate stickyness, but light/medium bodied. Very interesting and seems quite drinkable. Quite a lot of flavor, maybe just a bit sweet, but for those that like heavier brews, this could do it for you without knocking you over. Worth trying if you see it.
Not sure how a barrel aged bock qualifies as a smoked, but good if you judge this outside that classification.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Pours a fairly dark, clear brownish-amber color. Thin, white head that disappears quickly.

S - Sweet roasted malts with hints of vanilla, caramel and oak. Slight smokiness in the aroma as well.

T - Sweet, smoky, bready, roasted malt flavors. Pretty complex malty flavors with hints of vanilla, caramel, oak, and even a slight hint of chocolate. The oaky smokiness really comes through in the aftertaste.

M - A bit lighter than I expected with a medium body, but it is very smooth and has a nice, mellow carbonation.

D - Quite sweet, but very drinkable for 10.2% abv. This is the first doppelbock I've tried, and I'm usually into more hoppy styles, but this is quite complex and has a nice flavor to it. I'm interested to try more of this style and see how they compare.

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Pours a clear, deep chestnut/mahogany with an ivory head.

S: The aroma is sweet and smoky, like an autumn evening.

T: The rich flavor of sweet, bready Munich malts greets the tongue. As full as the flavor is, the finish is somewhat dried out by the oakiness from the barrel-aging. You also get some beechwood smokiness, though it's complementary rather than being overpowering. The bottle suggests that the smoke comes from the barrel, but I'd swear that there's some Rauchmalz in there. Despite being 10% ABV, I'm not picking up any heat from the alcohol. Really a lot of depth there.

M: This beer is rich all right, but the mouthfeel is creamy rather than heavy.

D: I generally complain about high-ABV American Doppelbocks because I believe all German beers should be consumed a half-liter at a time. Remarkably, I would argue this beer fits the bill despite exceeding the 10% threshold. I don't know how they do it, but I could easily drink the 22 oz. bottle in one sitting.

Overall: This is by far the best American Doppelbock I've ever had. I've been to Bamberg and this would fit in with the best they that incredible city has to offer. This beer is rich and complex while at the same time drinkable as all hell. Just awesome.

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours dark amber brown with a 1+ finger head that leaves notches down the glass

smell is smokey roasted malts and a little chocolate

taste - this is the style more smoke beer should use as the base - first the sip smokey roast malts then turns to sweet malt dark fruit with a little bitter nutty chocolate and smokey bbq on the finish and aftertaste

mouthfeel is a medium body beer with plenty of carbonation that has a nice rich creamy finish

drinkability is good - i dont know what the abv is (7-9%?) a very good beer for colder weather and is drinking nice on this 45 degree night
this beer is as good as some meals i have had of recent love that bbq smokey flavor

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

I have to say I reallly liked this one. I had recieved it as part of the Birthday BIF and I was very excited to give it a try. Served cold and poured the whole bottle into a ounce pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 07/10/2009.

The pour was very nice. Deep dark brown in color with a light transperency on the sides and the bottom, giving off just a touch of a reddish hue. Nice big head of tan on top fades and leaves behind lots of side glass lacing. Aroma starts out with lots of caramel, a nice roasted nuttiness and a smooth, light oak like aroma coming up. Letting it warm and open up releases a touch of a boozy bourbon like smell and hints of vanilla. Rich flavor here, malty as all hell with light touches of vanilla and bourbon kicking around the outside of it. Lots of roasted notes, earthy and herbal like with lots of rich caramel flavor. Nice clean finish with a light touch of oak and vanilla being the long lasting touches on a very solid presentation.

Overall this was very, very good and every bit worth the trip. I would do this one again any day, the barrel was very complimentary to it and nothing overdone at all.

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Hazed dark brown color. Not quite one finger of creamy tan head formed. Retention wasn't very good, even for the ABV, but a very short ring of lacing was left.

4.5 S: I was wondering whether "oak barrels" meant bourbon barrels, but it certainly doesn't seem like it. I'm actually a bit glad it's just oak cause this has a very nice aroma on it. As advertised, there is plenty of porky roastiness. Moderate oak aroma with a mild vanilla component. This is particularly clean for a dopplebock. There isn't a huge breadiness or caramel component like some. Rather, this contains a highly complementary mix of plum and date fruitiness, caramel and toffee, and molasses.

4.0 T: Deceptively light in body, but I'll address that in the next segment. Just thought I'd mention it first here since it has implications for the taste. This is quite dry for a dopplebock, which is to say that it isn't super sweet. For that, I'm quite happy. Lots of dark fruits in this - plum and dates reign supreme with raisin, currants, and prunes a couple steps behind. It's not nearly as smoky as the nose suggested, but it's still present and it adds nicely to the profile. Caramel, molasses, and toffee in descending order. Moderate oak and the vanilla is a bit easier to detect.

3.5 M: Medium body. I think the lighter than usual body benefitted the taste, but I do like the thick, rich, and creamy mouthfeels of a more typical D-bock. Carbonation is a hair lesser than I prefer, but it's fine. Some creaminess, but I want some more.

4.0 D: Easy to drink and tasty with a great nose. I'm more than certain that this is the best beer I've had from FC. I'd pick up another bottle if there weren't hundreds of thousands of other beers I need to try.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz bottle purchased recently somewhere in the MA/NY area.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" tan head over the clear dark copper brew. Head is promptly down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with leggy but average to good lace. Aroma is sweet and smoky. Taste mirrors the nose, with rich maltiness to start, smoke in the middle with a touch of fruitiness, and the close finds warmth with an ever deeper smoke presence. Mouthfeel is smooth, soft over the tongue, and drinkability is almost scary good for the abv. Nice.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz (2/22/10)

A- Pours a almost crimson color, the off white head about 1/4" that resides quickly probably because of the abv's this beast is hiding.

S- A sweet caramel aroma jumps off this beer then is balanced out by a subtle toasted oak smell.

T- Right off the bat im amazed at the sweetness contained in this beer. If the monks called this liquid bread then this stuff is the cinnamon french toast! There is some oak or roasted malt that drys our the finish. The alcohol is so well intergrated that i had to look twice at the label.

M- Good carbonation, works well with the body of this beer. Goes down so smooth for how big this beer is.

D- Great brew, smooth and tasty, however I would split if if I had it again the malt sweetness got to me 3/4 of the way through if you think your up for it go for it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Poured from bomber to pint glass

A: Very clear brownish red mahogany color with creamy 1 finger head that has good retention

N: Nose like a porter with some smoked malt, sweet malt, dark chocolate little oak and vanilla

T: Taste starts kinda sweet and has lots of smoked malt, it has a bacon like taste, a little caramelized brown sugar, rich sweet maltiness, some nice alcohol in the middle that lingers, some thick bread like biscuit

M: Mouth has a thick frothy and syrupy mouth coating

F: Finish is pretty sweet and smoky, a little sticky and slight taste of molasses, a little sweet sour yeastyness, not much for bitterness and its tough to drink with the high alcohol, sweetness and smoke, very rich and heavy dark beer

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

I am sampling a 22 oz bomber poured at cellar temp into a snifter. The beer pours a clear, deep mahogany with ruby tints and a fizzy beige head foams up 1.5 cm and fades to an edge layer quickly. The aroma is complex and robust with dark raisin scent mixing with some oak and brown sugar. Hints of vanilla poke through and some red grape and maybe apple too. The label hints of charred notes but I dont get those here. The nose definitely lets you know this is a beer not to be trifled with, large and in charge!
The first sip is average body with slightly sticky texture. Very fine gentle roling carbonation carresses my palate on each swallow. The beer is malt through and through with caramel and brown sugar and dark fruit (plums & raisins) all mixing together. SOme dry toothpicky oak on the finish but that is overshadowed by the sweet malt that coats after each sip. Not any hops that I pick out and not really all that hot for the 10% and the nose that came out of the glass.
The beer is tasty but is also large and may become too large by the end of the bottle, I kinda wish I was splitting this bomber. I really like the beer, but it is fairly seriously big and its only a Tuesday nite! I would drink again for sure, butwould split with a friend or two.

3.68/5  rDev -8%

a - Deep Amber Body poured with little head though a fair sized film sticks around for the whole trip.

s - Typical rich bock malt aroma mixed with wet wood, Alcohol is present even at cooler temperatures. Mildly vanilla and spice. I've not had many (maybe one) Oaked beers, so it's new to me. Interesting but seems less subtle than I've heard it described.

t - Oak is right up front and along the whole way adding spice and vanilla at the end. Underneath is the semi-sweet bock body featuring caramel and dark malts. Hop flavor is mild, not sure if it is contributing to the spice at the end. The finish is mild though, I don't mean to say this beer has a spicy bite to it. Alcohol is hot

m/d - Full body but not thick, sticky sweet. A sipper for sure, Something I'd put in the cellar and not look to open on a nightly basis. Complex and interesting.

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle shared by Ben at our micro-epic 2010 NFL Draft tasting.

A - Pours a deep copper-auburn hue with some good off-white head.

S - The smell is a lot like smoked salmon. Seriously. I wasn't expecting a Rauchbier, but here it is. This has a pronounced smoke and freshly charred wood aroma, like a freshly extinguished campfire.

T - Following on the nose, but adding a lot more complexity, this beer is heavily imparted with smoke character from start to finish. The malt is recognizably pale and the hop is as assertive as can be expected given the omnipresent smoke factor. That said, it tastes pretty damn good.

M - Fairly refreshing and light-bodied for the flavors and style. Works well.

D - A bit of a palette shredder, and definitely something that would pair well with some things but would be disastrous with others.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - pours a deep reddish caramel with a thin light-cream cover. Arches of lace loop around the glass edge.

Aroma - notes of vanilla and oak, on the sweet side.

Taste - nice roasty malt, a touch astringent at mid-palate. Boozy notes of whiskey, with the wood and peaty malt flavors chiming in. Warming abv gaves a vapory essence. Very well-balanced beer, the maltiness of the bock complementing the barrel effects. Ends with a warm, dry nuttiness/coffee bean, and supporting abv warmth.

Mouthfeel - a bit weighty, about right for the style. Muted carbonation and some decent smoothness.

Drinkability - very tasty and enjoyable, I'll try to find one or two more of these.

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses to be shared & enjoyed... Barrel Licked Bock pours a deep brown in color; not very cloudy but not very clear either! Very light, thin head which dissipated quickly.

Smells very smokey & thick; almost like a rauchbier. There are light hints of fruit -- maybe banana? -- behind this. A bready, thick smell overwhelms too; almost like maple syrup or something. This is going to be a heavy beer!

Tastes very sweet as well, burns a bit going down though. It's a really smooth drinking beer, but when I have more than a little sip at a time it sets my head spinning! The taste is also very distinctively dopplebock -- smooth, dark and alcoholic. I want a big steak to go with it!

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

thanks to LusciousJackson for this one.

poured cold and fairly aggressively from the bottle a deep mahogany brown to a dogfish head signature glass with a thin, short lasting tan head

big aroma of earthy hops, dark toffee and oak.

wow - what a nice bold brew. earthy hops forward, but in a good way... sticky sweet caramel, dark fruits and vanilla notes.

medium to light bodied, creamy, light carbonation, sweet - almost cloying, but not quite.

drinkable - hmmm... maybe just a bomber.

Barrel Licked Bock from The Fort Collins Brewery