Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 420 | Hads: 1,047

this is the closest bottled black and tan that i have had to the real black and tans done with a spoon. i give it a two thumbs up!!!

perfect color, creamy but also lager type taste. good head on it. best served at room temp!

i also like the bottle, its a pretty cool design and reminds me of the old moonshine bottles. this brew is pretty easily attainable. most package stores that have craft brews will have this. (417 characters)

Carbonations is lame, so when the muds in ya you know we aint drinking no soda pop. FACT. Lets be honest, if I'm at a party and I got a fist full of mud, shes getting laid. You wont catch me sippin the watered down taste of a peat bog type of brew such as busch lite or others. No pansy IPAs eitha, only that real, raw, smooth, the taste of a Mangrove lagune, canoe gliding ontop of a soup of brown and black clouds. It picked me up like a dust storm in eastern Washington and when that sappy nectar finally endured it's last drop, me and my bussdown were thoroughly pleased, and pleasured. By the mud, see when you give yourself to something bigger than you, you fall back into the mud and let the dirt slowly seep over your body and brown out your sight. It's as if you could go to the local WinCo and pick out an untainted 18 year old virgin, fresh out of high school with everything a pimp knew to, out of a line of well past their golden years milfs, pregnant teenage junkies, and overweight soccer moms looking for some love. That is Mississippi Mud my friends, it's as if mother earths loins were split on the rim of your lips and she let out a stream foggy as the winding meander dumping silts and sands carried from foreign lands down to Mississippi Delta. (1,265 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +54.1%

I'm kind of shocked to see such low reviews on this beer. I live in Rhode Island and for some reason we cannot get this beer up here anymore. It's very disappointing to me because this was one of my all time favorite beers! I loved everything about this brew. The taste was awesome, the smell was great, there was no nasty after taste and it had a pretty cool looking little growler! I hope some day we get this back up here. Truly a great beer in my opinion and I miss it. (473 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +53.7%

very smooth, good color, nice looking bottle. It is easy to find at carryout stores in our area. Price is very good @ 2.99 a quart. It is well with-in my price range and very tasty. A dark beer with no heavy after taste. you should give this beer a try if you are into dark or great tasting smooth brew. (303 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +45.6%

The appearance is a beautiful dark amber with a small head. The smell is very nice and solid. The taste is like a like a porter with a sharpness at the end. The mouthfeel is pleasant and the overall experience kind of reminds me of Rogue Dead Guy. I love this beer and may get it again. More likely I will experiment with making my own black & tans. (349 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +44%

A-It's got a nice dark tan texture to it. The description on the bottle says it all.

S-It's got a coffee like smell to it. It smells pretty good.

T- It tastes a tad like Bass with a hint of coffee to it. At least to me it had a coffee taste. It's got a nice even taste. It's not too strong and not too weak. It's a happy medium.

M-It feels good when swallowing. It leaves a mild aftertaste but it's a good aftertaste.

D-Well I drank the whole jug w/ no problem and enjoyed myself so that spoke for itself.

Overall, I recommend this beer. If you find it, it's worth having. It goes well when watching a movie too. (618 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan brewed by Mississippi Brewing Co., with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a nice light brown color with a nice off white head. It reminds me of sweet tea, in color. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on grains and malts. There is a nice mild sweetness in the smell of this brew. The smell is real inviting, you also pick up on some caramel malts. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. A mild sweetness at first. You pick up on malts, and mild roasted grains. There is a lot going on in this brew, but it is smooth. The mouthfeel is smooth, but rich with flavor. Mississippi Mud Black & Tan has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5. Mississippi Brewing Co., did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. (842 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +40.4%

Ok i saw the reviews, and I am a dark beer drinker, or a brown ale. So when i saw this bottle in the local market, I thought to myself very cool design. Yea the taste afterwards is not to good, it's not a real black n tan. But is a good beer, and when i brought it to a party i was going to alot of people commented on it, some who took a drink said it's ok..and others didnt like but thos ppl where the ones who where drinking Natural Ice beer. I mean wtf..come if i wanted something that came out yellow then i would of.. well you know where i was going with it..But now I dont even see this beer in any market.. (614 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Just had the 1 liter bottle, it has a great taste and for only having 5% ABV it actually feels like a higher content. Good job to those who made a great beer. I would recommend it to all of my friends. I just wish the cost wasn't so high. Other than that keep up the good work and I am looking forward to buying some more of your beer. (335 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +36.8%

Poured from my 32 ounce growler into a plastic cup, because I was too lazy to find my good glassware. Sue me.

Appearance: Can't see through the cup, and there's a thick layer of very creamy-looking head on top. Over time, lots of little bubbles permeate the surface and help to decrease the head. When it finally recedes sufficiently, I can see the beer is similar to a moderately-steeped black tea in color. High marks for the head, and the black/tan color being in order.

Smell: Purple fruit and molasses. Maybe just a touch of chocolate in the malt? Then the usual grassy hops of a pilsner...like running through a spring meadow covered in syrup. Ahhh...

Taste: Beer is syrupy-sweet at first (though not cloying), with definite chocolate tones. There's a hoppy bite to it which pierces through the malt base. Aftertaste is a touch on the sour side (shrug), but doesn't detract too much from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Oh wow, this is super-good. Very, very creamy on the palate, with moderate (but focused) carbonation. Beer lasts long, and mellows out in the end, finishing wetly.

Overall: A knockout, in my opinion. I absolutely loved it. (1,142 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +36.5%

I thought this stuff disappeared forever for a while, but I saw it regularly this summer which is a thrill. This is literally my favorite summer beer of all time. Why? because it comes in quarts, is easy as hell to drink, and doesn't look like beer, allowing for public consumption with minimal attention being drawn. Perfect for wiffle ball or disc tossing in the park. The screw on cap is so very key.

I've never in my life poured this in to a glass, and the packaging is opaque, so I couldn't tell you how it really looks. The branding is appealing, so I give it a good rating here.

Smell is the only place this beer suffers. Has an indistinguishably metallic scent. Odd and slightly off-putting, but any hesitations are put to rest after you take your first sip.

The beer is dark but light. The flavor is very satisfying as it crawls to the back of your mouth, covering your whole tongue with delicious flavor. The carbonation has an unexpected spring to it, which gives it its "light" character. A hugely refreshing thirst quencher, I could drink this stuff all day.

I understand the point of a black and tan is the whole layering thing, but I don't put this in the same ballpark as a real B&T. This is a drink so separate to that which you order in an Irish bar, that it confuses me to see it even called black and tan at all, regardless of the purported ingredients. As you can see from my rating, this distinction has no bearing on my love of this beer. It will forever have a place in my heart.

One more thing - This is a great "transition" beer when trying to get swill drinkers to enjoy some better brews. (1,622 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 946ml (1 qt) bottle from Beers of the World on 6/21/14. Poured into a nonic, served at fridge temp.

appearance: color of Root Beer or Cola. manila head, nice lacing.

smell: mild sweet toasted caramel on top of a little noble hoppiness.

taste: sweet toasted caramel is thinned out a little by the pilsener.

mouthfeel: soft and supple.

overall: this is a tasty, easy to drink beer. (393 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +35.8%

Color is a bit weak. Almost like an amber. Good flavor. A little nutty. Reminds me more of a Brown Ale than a Black & Tan. definitely a Saranac product (has that "signature Saranac flavor"). That's not very technical, but anyone familiar with Matt's beers knows what I mean. (275 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +34.5%

This is a beer I have enjoyed many times. Perfect for the occasions when you're just hanging out with friends and need to bring your own beer. Available near me in either 1 pint or 1 quart bottles, either of which is fun to look at and carry around. Never poured this beer into a glass, but the smell from the bottle is slightly sweet, fresh, but not powerful by any meaning of the word. Tastes much like you'd expect, like a black and tan; quite tasty, but nothing to write home about in this case. Very easy to enjoy a quart or two without getting tired of it. (562 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is not an overpowering dark beer which is why I rate it so highly. The beer has the characteristics one expects in a dark brew, but they come across in a subtle way. This Black & Tan is not the typical cross between dark and light ales, it is a blend of porter (rather than stout) and pilsner (rather than light ale). It is the perfect introduction for newbie beer connoiseurs who have yet to develop a tongue for stout beers.

The packaging is outstanding! The quart size glass bottle has the shape and appearance of a porcelane jug. The screw-on cap has a rubberized gasket so the beer can be partially consumed (why one would do that, is beyond me) and the remaining beer saved for later. (697 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

From a 32oz jug into a glass mug. First time tasting this beer.

A- Dark brown ruby color. Brownish 1.5 finger creamy head, but fizzles to a 1/4 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks quite nice.

S- Roasted malts, raisins, a tinge of hops, dark coffee. Inviting.

T- Roasted malts up front, grassy hops, dark chocolate. It's bitter but has a very slight sweet note. Tastes like a brown ale, sort of like Newcastle. Leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

M- Medium/light. The carbonation is light and not in your face. Very nice.

Drinkability- This is more of a "savor the taste" sort of beer. Not meant to be chugged. But it still has great drinkability.

O- Overall, this beer is pretty good. I kept eyeing it at the store for years and finally bought it today. It's enjoyable to drink it at night. (831 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +32.9%

The color is brown with a red-ish hue. On the palate is a nice malt and hop flavor. I actually really enjoyed this brew. I only had a true black & tan once and that was long ago. The closest thing I drank as a usual is Yuengling's Black and Tan, which I love. This Mississippi Mud brew is different becuase of the Pilsner quality, I like that also, very different...weird one second I taste all pilsner, second I taste all porter. Anyway I tasted it, I liked it...Overall very enjoyable brew! (492 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured into quart beer mug from a thirty two ounce bottle. The bottle is different from other beer bottles. This one, actually, has a handle.

Look: With the pour I got a lot of head and it has a white khaki looking head that sticks around quite long, leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. For the beer itself, held up to the light it looks almost a cherry red to me. It reminds me more of a Killians Irish Red with the color. Tiny bubbles shoot fast to the head and dissipates over time.

Aroma: The smell is very malty at first like a hint of coffee and caramel. Alcohol smell is noticeable.

Mouth Feel: Doesn't taste too carbonated. Definitely a thicker beer than most that leaves your lips sticky. Very creamy as well.

Taste: this is quite delicious! At first you taste remnants of caramel and then the taste of coffee from roasted malts. It leaves with a tiny bitter taste but not an annoying after taste. It's really delicious going down and it makes me anticipate the next sip.

I have had this beer before and it was good. This time around its delicious! (1,069 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +32.2%

Mississippi Mud is a super clear deep crimson brown beer with a soft, foamy light khaki head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a slightly sweet, grainy aroma. It smells like malt extract with some roastiness. There are notes of coffee and chocolate. It's medium bodied, smooth and a little metallic. The clean, dry finish leaves the mouth a little dusty. It tastes a touch sweet and a little tangy. It's roasty, with notes of coffee and chocolate. It has just enough flavor to keep it interesting and not much bitterness at all. I haven't had one of these in about ten years, so I was kind of expecting to be disappointed with this beer. I wasn't. This is still a fun session beer. (697 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +31.9%

Poured a crystal clear mahogony color with massive off-white creamy head. Smell is opleasant mixture of dark fruits. Taste is all predominately fruits, and is very pleasant to the taste buds. Finishes sweet and creamy. A very one-dimensional beer, but actually quite tasty and enjoyable. (287 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +30.9%

I love the jug. The appearance is unique and sets it apart from other bottles.
Distinct coffee, chocolate flavors. Sharp bite at the end. The coffee hits first and last. The chocolate taste is there but not overpowering. Nice brown head that holds the glass reasonably well. I enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again. (323 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +30.9%

I may have over-rated this interesting beer a bit, but the group think here has under-rated it. The floral and hoppy aroma is interesting. The taste is not overpowering but definitely interesting. It went great with my pizza this evening. It's definitely worth a try. (267 characters)

I got this beer because of the unusual packaging - the 32oz jug just spoke to me. It pours a dark brown, which makes sense for a mud coloring. The aroma is of dark roasted malts and some grains like coffee and even some hops. This beer actually tastes pretty good. I like this beer. It tastes of the dark roasted malts and has hints of coffee in it, but mostly the malts. It is smooth as it goes down and has a nice mouthfeel with good carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer and it should be because it comes in a 32oz jug. (527 characters)

Why such low ratings for this beer? And yet we see higher ratings on 40's...

A - Black and tan. Plan and simple.I poured it into my glass and see at least a finger of foam. Actual lacing in the glass which may mean some people might have had bad batches.

S - Carmel, malt, slight choco or coffee. Hard to tell because it really is light.

T - Really smooth beer. Like a light beer only with more ABV. I could easily finish the bottle.

M - Lighter than light but dark like a B+T should be. Really what I expected in a black and tan. Not bitter like most black and tans which usually puts me off.

D - I could easily finish the whole 36 ounce and have another but I usually pick this up when around my father away beer store.

Overall I really don't know much about Black and Tans. What I do know is they are best served mixed by yourself. If you must buy the premade stuff pick this up the next time you see it. Not really a bad beer but for me having a bottle a sitting for around 4 bucks is a treat as well as a good deal (1,027 characters)

I've been seeing this at the local shop for a long time now and have always wanted to try it based on how much I like the bottle. I finally picked one up today and I'm wishing I had tried it a long time ago. Pouring into a glass mug creates a light, thick head atop very dark brown beer-quite an attractive brew. Odors of citrus and roasted caramel suggest that the lager and ale used to make this B&T are probably worthy of being enjoyed separately as well as together. The taste is creamy, roasted caramel with undertones of sweet citrus flesh. Mississippi Mud has a thicker, more pleasant body than other Black & Tans I've had. (630 characters)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.