Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001)
4.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Ok i saw the reviews, and I am a dark beer drinker, or a brown ale. So when i saw this bottle in the local market, I thought to myself very cool design. Yea the taste afterwards is not to good, it's not a real black n tan. But is a good beer, and when i brought it to a party i was going to alot of people commented on it, some who took a drink said it's ok..and others didnt like but thos ppl where the ones who where drinking Natural Ice beer. I mean wtf..come if i wanted something that came out yellow then i would of.. well you know where i was going with it..But now I dont even see this beer in any market..

gunnerr, Mar 25, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Just had the 1 liter bottle, it has a great taste and for only having 5% ABV it actually feels like a higher content. Good job to those who made a great beer. I would recommend it to all of my friends. I just wish the cost wasn't so high. Other than that keep up the good work and I am looking forward to buying some more of your beer.

Kevyoung369, Aug 24, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +36.7%

I thought this stuff disappeared forever for a while, but I saw it regularly this summer which is a thrill. This is literally my favorite summer beer of all time. Why? because it comes in quarts, is easy as hell to drink, and doesn't look like beer, allowing for public consumption with minimal attention being drawn. Perfect for wiffle ball or disc tossing in the park. The screw on cap is so very key.

I've never in my life poured this in to a glass, and the packaging is opaque, so I couldn't tell you how it really looks. The branding is appealing, so I give it a good rating here.

Smell is the only place this beer suffers. Has an indistinguishably metallic scent. Odd and slightly off-putting, but any hesitations are put to rest after you take your first sip.

The beer is dark but light. The flavor is very satisfying as it crawls to the back of your mouth, covering your whole tongue with delicious flavor. The carbonation has an unexpected spring to it, which gives it its "light" character. A hugely refreshing thirst quencher, I could drink this stuff all day.

I understand the point of a black and tan is the whole layering thing, but I don't put this in the same ballpark as a real B&T. This is a drink so separate to that which you order in an Irish bar, that it confuses me to see it even called black and tan at all, regardless of the purported ingredients. As you can see from my rating, this distinction has no bearing on my love of this beer. It will forever have a place in my heart.

One more thing - This is a great "transition" beer when trying to get swill drinkers to enjoy some better brews.

sawbones420, Oct 03, 2008

raizin, May 27, 2013

Tnkemist, May 19, 2012

OoReFLuXoO, Feb 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +35%

Poured from my 32 ounce growler into a plastic cup, because I was too lazy to find my good glassware. Sue me.

Appearance: Can't see through the cup, and there's a thick layer of very creamy-looking head on top. Over time, lots of little bubbles permeate the surface and help to decrease the head. When it finally recedes sufficiently, I can see the beer is similar to a moderately-steeped black tea in color. High marks for the head, and the black/tan color being in order.

Smell: Purple fruit and molasses. Maybe just a touch of chocolate in the malt? Then the usual grassy hops of a pilsner...like running through a spring meadow covered in syrup. Ahhh...

Taste: Beer is syrupy-sweet at first (though not cloying), with definite chocolate tones. There's a hoppy bite to it which pierces through the malt base. Aftertaste is a touch on the sour side (shrug), but doesn't detract too much from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Oh wow, this is super-good. Very, very creamy on the palate, with moderate (but focused) carbonation. Beer lasts long, and mellows out in the end, finishing wetly.

Overall: A knockout, in my opinion. I absolutely loved it.

Lauthaha, Dec 01, 2011
4.19/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 946ml (1 qt) bottle from Beers of the World on 6/21/14. Poured into a nonic, served at fridge temp.

appearance: color of Root Beer or Cola. manila head, nice lacing.

smell: mild sweet toasted caramel on top of a little noble hoppiness.

taste: sweet toasted caramel is thinned out a little by the pilsener.

mouthfeel: soft and supple.

overall: this is a tasty, easy to drink beer.

fx20736, Jun 25, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

This is a beer I have enjoyed many times. Perfect for the occasions when you're just hanging out with friends and need to bring your own beer. Available near me in either 1 pint or 1 quart bottles, either of which is fun to look at and carry around. Never poured this beer into a glass, but the smell from the bottle is slightly sweet, fresh, but not powerful by any meaning of the word. Tastes much like you'd expect, like a black and tan; quite tasty, but nothing to write home about in this case. Very easy to enjoy a quart or two without getting tired of it.

antinexus, Sep 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

Poured into quart beer mug from a thirty two ounce bottle. The bottle is different from other beer bottles. This one, actually, has a handle.

Look: With the pour I got a lot of head and it has a white khaki looking head that sticks around quite long, leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. For the beer itself, held up to the light it looks almost a cherry red to me. It reminds me more of a Killians Irish Red with the color. Tiny bubbles shoot fast to the head and dissipates over time.

Aroma: The smell is very malty at first like a hint of coffee and caramel. Alcohol smell is noticeable.

Mouth Feel: Doesn't taste too carbonated. Definitely a thicker beer than most that leaves your lips sticky. Very creamy as well.

Taste: this is quite delicious! At first you taste remnants of caramel and then the taste of coffee from roasted malts. It leaves with a tiny bitter taste but not an annoying after taste. It's really delicious going down and it makes me anticipate the next sip.

I have had this beer before and it was good. This time around its delicious!

9InchNails, Nov 02, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

The color is brown with a red-ish hue. On the palate is a nice malt and hop flavor. I actually really enjoyed this brew. I only had a true black & tan once and that was long ago. The closest thing I drank as a usual is Yuengling's Black and Tan, which I love. This Mississippi Mud brew is different becuase of the Pilsner quality, I like that also, very different...weird one second I taste all pilsner, second I taste all porter. Anyway I tasted it, I liked it...Overall very enjoyable brew!

WilliamPhilaPa, May 10, 2002
4.11/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is not an overpowering dark beer which is why I rate it so highly. The beer has the characteristics one expects in a dark brew, but they come across in a subtle way. This Black & Tan is not the typical cross between dark and light ales, it is a blend of porter (rather than stout) and pilsner (rather than light ale). It is the perfect introduction for newbie beer connoiseurs who have yet to develop a tongue for stout beers.

The packaging is outstanding! The quart size glass bottle has the shape and appearance of a porcelane jug. The screw-on cap has a rubberized gasket so the beer can be partially consumed (why one would do that, is beyond me) and the remaining beer saved for later.

AliceHarley, May 22, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

From a 32oz jug into a glass mug. First time tasting this beer.

A- Dark brown ruby color. Brownish 1.5 finger creamy head, but fizzles to a 1/4 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming up. Leaves a bit of lacing. Looks quite nice.

S- Roasted malts, raisins, a tinge of hops, dark coffee. Inviting.

T- Roasted malts up front, grassy hops, dark chocolate. It's bitter but has a very slight sweet note. Tastes like a brown ale, sort of like Newcastle. Leaves a bittersweet aftertaste.

M- Medium/light. The carbonation is light and not in your face. Very nice.

Drinkability- This is more of a "savor the taste" sort of beer. Not meant to be chugged. But it still has great drinkability.

O- Overall, this beer is pretty good. I kept eyeing it at the store for years and finally bought it today. It's enjoyable to drink it at night.

Treath, Oct 24, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured a crystal clear mahogony color with massive off-white creamy head. Smell is opleasant mixture of dark fruits. Taste is all predominately fruits, and is very pleasant to the taste buds. Finishes sweet and creamy. A very one-dimensional beer, but actually quite tasty and enjoyable.

tgbljb, Sep 05, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

Mississippi Mud is a super clear deep crimson brown beer with a soft, foamy light khaki head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a slightly sweet, grainy aroma. It smells like malt extract with some roastiness. There are notes of coffee and chocolate. It's medium bodied, smooth and a little metallic. The clean, dry finish leaves the mouth a little dusty. It tastes a touch sweet and a little tangy. It's roasty, with notes of coffee and chocolate. It has just enough flavor to keep it interesting and not much bitterness at all. I haven't had one of these in about ten years, so I was kind of expecting to be disappointed with this beer. I wasn't. This is still a fun session beer.

yesyouam, Oct 12, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from the quart jug into a 16oz shaker glass.

Pours very dark brown with not much transparency. An excellent two finger golden brown head with good retention and lacing throughout. Has the general appearance of a stout.

Not much to speak of in regards to smell. A little piny or something, but really just smelled like the inside of an empty bottle.

Contrary to smell, the flavor is absolutely excellent. Not necessarily the same as other Black & Tans I have tried, which is good for me. Has a nice bitter malt bite, with smooth caramel and chocolate accents. A beer that is good to taste from beginning to end.

A nice full body that is not too thick. Crisp but does not burn or overwhelm the pallet with carbonation. Surprisingly refreshing for a beer of it's stature.

An excellent beer, especially for it's price. Good for those new to the style.

Fulky, Apr 24, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

The appearance is an array of red, brown, burgundy, mahogany, and burnt orange colors topped off by a creamy off-white head.

The nose has a rich, sweet smell. Pleasant but not unique.

A good robust flavor with a hoppy middle. Finishes with fall-like flavors, nature, dried dead leaves, soil, etc...

The mouthfeel has very nice tingly carbonation. Probably a little less than medium bodied but still enjoyable.

A very drinkable beer here. Easy drinking without sacrificing any flavor. This would probably make a good crossover beer for your bud light addicted buddy. Cheers!

jasonpeckins32, Feb 06, 2006
4.01/5  rDev +28.9%

I love the jug. The appearance is unique and sets it apart from other bottles.
Distinct coffee, chocolate flavors. Sharp bite at the end. The coffee hits first and last. The chocolate taste is there but not overpowering. Nice brown head that holds the glass reasonably well. I enjoyed this beer and will purchase it again.

LJC3, Apr 01, 2013

schoon, Feb 28, 2014

Avocado777, Jul 22, 2012

flooshmander, Feb 21, 2013
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.