2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 759 | Reviews: 386 | Show All Ratings:
swedish655

Found the beer at local deli. I tried it with friends and found it almost perfect. Better to drink from goblet. Nice brown color with tan head. Flavor mellow, taste rich and full, smooth and creamy texture. When in tall glass taste will change as beer is consumed. Smoother than a stout and clean mouth with no after taste. I like it and continue to buy. Thanks for a great product. Keith

09-27-2012 00:55:26 | More by swedish655
Bisbee_Frankie

Arizona

I used to drink this beer in North Carolina. It's a good combination of porter and pilsner beers, unusual in my opinion for black and tans as in my experience they are stout and lager like Guinness and Harp. Still, it's very tasty and amusing in name being brewed in Utica, New York.

04-10-2013 01:53:08 | More by Bisbee_Frankie
WesWes

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

The beer pours a brown color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a creamy crystal malt scent that is really quite nice. The taste is good. It boasts of pale and crystal malts. It has a nice sweet malt palate that goes down easy and satisfies. This is a pretty damn good beer for being served up in a glass jug. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but what I got was a fine black and tan. It drinks well.

02-29-2004 03:34:44 | More by WesWes
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Looks like I'm rating this one higher than most folks, but I found this to be a really good brew....I picked it up because I loved the bottle..

Pours out a nice deep brown color with a small tan head... Looks very inviting...

This smells exactly like the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan to me... very reminescent of a good brown ale to me...

Definite notes of cocoa as well as sweet malts are evident in this brew.. again, reminds me of a brown ale but seems more geared toward the cocoa side of the spectrum...

I liked this one quite a bit actually... I would drink this one regularly if it were available in Tennessee... This would make a good session brew...

03-09-2008 16:26:02 | More by Tilley4
DrDemento456

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Why such low ratings for this beer? And yet we see higher ratings on 40's...

A - Black and tan. Plan and simple.I poured it into my glass and see at least a finger of foam. Actual lacing in the glass which may mean some people might have had bad batches.

S - Carmel, malt, slight choco or coffee. Hard to tell because it really is light.

T - Really smooth beer. Like a light beer only with more ABV. I could easily finish the bottle.

M - Lighter than light but dark like a B+T should be. Really what I expected in a black and tan. Not bitter like most black and tans which usually puts me off.

D - I could easily finish the whole 36 ounce and have another but I usually pick this up when around my father away beer store.

Overall I really don't know much about Black and Tans. What I do know is they are best served mixed by yourself. If you must buy the premade stuff pick this up the next time you see it. Not really a bad beer but for me having a bottle a sitting for around 4 bucks is a treat as well as a good deal

10-20-2009 04:17:45 | More by DrDemento456
USAF77

3.96/5  rDev +28.2%

A little something different. My first and I had no idea what to expect.

Its more Pilsner'ish then Porter'ish but I dont think thats by accident. When i was in England I was never a fan of mixing beers like this. I guess its my love for each type of beer that figures, "why mix"? But I dont regret buying MM and no doubt will again.

A fast Pilsner pour into a clear somewhat tan color makes for a pretty brew to look at. I enjoyed the smell a lot. Im getting grains and a bit of coffee in a smooth pilsner malt. The area around the glass has a light stout'ish aroma if you concentrate hard enough. Mild lacing with a disappointing head. A tad to carbonated me'thinks.

Refreshing taste with a slight dry bite, but missing the sensual after taste of a Porter. I'd be happier if the brew was a tad Portier and a tad less Pilsner'ee. But have no doubt Im enjoying this brew. "Just raised it to a 4.00 overall because its refreshes so well". Thanks no doubt to its Pilsner heritage. Im thinking Brats with a good mustard with this creation. Like at the WI. State fair with the awsome corn on the cob to boot. I remember the draft PBR that accompanied that. Mud would do even better.

So it could be muddier, but as a Pilsner fanatic, I wont be moving it to the "B" rack in the fridge. I recommend the Mud. Enjoy.

Serving type: growler

11-01-2013 20:00:32 | More by USAF77
Jyubei

New Mexico

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

Poured out of the one quart bottle.

A. A very dark brown but not truly "mississippii mud" black. A thin tan head and mild lacing.

S. A very strong malty smell at first,bthen an aroma of caramel, coffee and raosted almonds.

T. The Taste goes from malty and hoppy, to sweet and pleasantly syrupy. If you eat it whith a strong or bitter food it brings out a taste of brown sugar and caramel. I suggest a garlic Italian dish or a strong southern U.S. style of food.

M. A smooth and sticky feel that slides over and around the tongue. The flavor makes it feel pretty good, but it is a little strong.

Af. The aftertaste is malt, grains, caramel and almonds. Very nice.

This is a good brew for a wide variety of strong foods. It also comes in a cool looking bottle. If you don't mind a sweeter beer this one is nice to nurse over a meal.

08-09-2008 02:45:23 | More by Jyubei
kegger22

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan was neither black nor tan, but predictably, something in between. The one inch beige head displayed good retention.

The aroma was pretty light; I was able to get some sweet malt and some grain.

The taste was caramel, some cocoa, a dash of salt donated by the pilsener maybe, and a cola flavor for the low point. A drinking tip for Missi Mud: this was one beer better colder than warmed, that's where the unfortunate cola flavor came in. Fortunately, the growler-like bottle is perfect for putting it back in the fridge.

The mouth feel was fairly light, more pilsener than porter. Carbonation was pretty good and it was oily.

Drinkability was good and the 32 ounces were no problem.

Given the large number of negative reviews (regardless of scores), the relatively low overall score and the schlocky but amusing packaging; I wasn't expecting much. But how can you turn down a chance at this "Famous Black & Tan Beer"? However, I was very pleasantly surprised. Mississippi Mud managed to take a style that I'm not particularly fond of (English porter), and a style that pales in comparison to other richer styles (pilsener), and created a fine beverage. At ten cents an ounce, plus another dime for the tacky/cool bottle (Michigan deposit), you get an excellent value. I'll go back for more tomorrow.

03-30-2010 02:35:14 | More by kegger22
Aaron_Ramson

3.91/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Marketing wise this is a very fun beer, coming in a glass mini-growler, shrink wrapped in a tan label featuring black old fashioned font and an illustration of an alligator sitting between the copy. Poured into a pilsner glass, the color is a wonderfully reddish brown with some garnet highlights, a quickly dissipating head and perfect clarity. Aroma is predominantly of caramel malts, roasted grain, cereal; some hops detected at the finish, noble and slightly spicy. The taste is light, malty, and follows the nose very faithfully. Grainy, sweet, caramel and bread, some roastiness, very little hop flavor detected. Mouthfeel is medium-thin and highly carbonated. I'm sure this brew gets a bad rap from being ubiquitous and somewhat small in flavor. The aroma is definitely the best part but it is still a very enjoyable and pleasant session beer that I don't turn my nose up to and would definitely drink again.

10-18-2013 23:29:16 | More by Aaron_Ramson
kkmiller76

3.9/5  rDev +26.2%

Used to drink this beer in college and thought it was a very tasty black and tan. Of course at that time I was still experimenting with my beer palette; but this was certainly a beer at the time that was more complex then the crap I was drinking.

Saw it in Whole Foods in Paramus, NJ and brought back memories so thought I'd give it a whirl. Certainly has not lost its drinkability. Is very smooth, nice dark black iced coffee color. Toffee smell. Taste is very toffee-like with a hint of cocoa and maybe a little coffee. But is just a smooth; on the sweeter side, black and tan.

I think it deserves a better overall grade than the C +; I don't think it is a beer anyone would turn down if offered at a BBQ and certainly better than the "summer swill" that is often offered!

But brought back some memories; hasn't lost its drinkability and would keep some in my fridge during the summer months as a darker beer with some character that acts like a light beer

07-22-2009 23:01:38 | More by kkmiller76
PBRstreetgang

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours a cloudy mahogany, with three fingers of off-white creamy head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smells of toasted chocolate malts and floral hops.The taste is a blend of sweet roasted malts upfront, folllowed by a crisp pilsner flavor and dry hops. The pale lager presence is strong, and disturbes the balance, but the taste is still pleasing and complex. Finishes clean and highly drinkable. The light lager gives an even carbonation and medium body and the dark ale provides a malty palate. This smooth combonation leaves the mouthfeel a little dry, a little residual.

09-21-2005 00:07:17 | More by PBRstreetgang
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan has a thick, creamy, beige head and a clear, copper appearance, with streaming bubbles and nice lacing. The aroma is of toasted barley malt, sweetness, nuts, black coffee, and hop spice. Mouthfeel is medium, and Mississippi Mud Black & Tan finishes fairly dry and easy drinking. Overall, this is a mild, pleasant beer, and I think it’s certainly worth trying.

RJT

01-16-2012 14:05:07 | More by RonaldTheriot
JayS2629

Alabama

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

I was surprised at how good this was. It pours a dark brown with a thick head that fades fast and leaves ok lacing.

The aroma is of chocolate, caramel, and subdued grassy notes.

The taste was actually very nicely balanced with a low profile grassy hops that peeks through a rich chocolate and bready background. Pumperknickle and caramel notes.

Rich, medium bodied, smooth

Overall, goes down very easy. Nothing offensive, nothing complex. Simplicity and very enjoybale to drink.

04-03-2012 03:00:44 | More by JayS2629
mynie

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

I don't know about you guys, but I like getting in touch with my inner hillbilly now and again, and unscrewing a 32 ounce jug of Mississippi Mud is about the classiest way that I can do that and still manage to get drunk.

The bottle is cool. It pours a dark color with a nice head, decent retention, and good lacing. It doesn't taste much like any actually mixed black and tan I've had (stout and ale), it just tastes like a weak but bittersweet stout with hints of coffee and caramel. It's fizzy like an ale though, with a good body.

This stuff goes down so smooth that it's not even funny. It's like I'm drinking sasprilla.

Overall, a really nice beer. And where I shop a 32 oz bottle of this actually costs less than a 40 of Bud.

08-16-2004 03:12:26 | More by mynie
Byeast

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

Bottle is a 2 pint big mofo , with a gator in a swampy scene. The beer poured a clear , darker brown / auburn , with a creamy , small off white head. Aroma is of slight caramel and other sweet and slightly roasty malt smells. Taste is lightly malty and roasty , with some bitterness and tinge of astringency in the finish. This brew is simple and smooth. It goes down real nice and easy. Mouthfeel is a little light. Quite drinkable and tasty bottled black and tan. Worth a try imo.

06-17-2006 21:51:29 | More by Byeast
JoKo

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured out of a mason-jar looking bottle. I bought this one honesty because of the cool appearance. It reads "Mississippi Mud Famous Slow Brewed Black & Tan". The appearance of the beer was a dark brown/amber color, with an inch and a half off-white head. The smell was of chocolate and roasted malt. The taste was chocolate malts up front, maybe caramel, and hops in the background. Very drinkable, it has the drinkability of a lighter bodied pilsner with the richness of a porter. Overall, a well blended brew.

03-23-2008 04:04:03 | More by JoKo
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

A - Dark brown but allows light to pass which gives it a nice deep red hue in the corners. The light tan head starts out at over an inch an fades at reasonable pace to maintain its precense at the surface. This is a good looking beer.

S - Hint of coffee and a rigid mocha aroma.

T - Nutty flavors abounds making that the dominator. There's a deep roasty finish to it as well.

M - Mildly coarse throughout with an underlying smoothness and thick body. This brew has a comfortable feel when all is said and done.

~ I'm surprised at the huge range in the reviews for the brew. I think may have allot to do with the lack of guidelines to follow with the style. Overall, I like it. My suggestion with this one is to not judge a book by the cover created with all the poor reviews.

03-11-2011 22:48:03 | More by cdkrenz
lpayette

Vermont

3.8/5  rDev +23%

Pours a very clear dark amber. Soda-like head, and near soda-like carbonation.

Smells of smoke and malts. The malts are chocolate and caramel. A whisp of hops.

Taste - there is a good balance between porter and pilsner here. The pilsner makes it go down easy and gives it a slight hop character. It is somewhat overshadowed by the power of the porter however. The porter's strong smokeyness makes it all come together very interestingly. Subtle notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee all come through.

*This beer is perhaps just a bit over-carbonated. The color/appearance seems a bit off to me for the style, but especially for the name. Speaking of the name- why the hell is this called mississipi mud? It's brewed in NY state. I bought this at Half Time in Poughkeepsie thinking it was actually from Mississippi. Should have looked closer I guess.

Interesting bottle and a beer that I suspect might be "manly-looking" enough to get some BMC drinkers to try it. IMO it's much better than the ranking would suggest.

02-07-2006 06:30:12 | More by lpayette
LumpyGuitar

3.8/5  rDev +23%

This was on sale at my local stop, as I had never seen it before and the price was great for a quart ( 2.75). Before you decide not to try this beer because of the average review, I URGE you to strongly reconsider, as this is a great session beer and a great "with almost any food" beer, especially for the price.

Poured a deep coffee brown with thin tan head.

Smells a little sweet and sour.

Taste is very smooth, no bitterness at all, deep solid coffee and toasted malts, very nice.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but is balanced well with a mild amount of carbonation.

Drinkability here is high. This may not be the best black 'n tan but seriously, its pretty good. Only problems might be..finding it again?

06-13-2008 00:34:41 | More by LumpyGuitar
bourbonbock

3.8/5  rDev +23%

Poured a 32 oz bootlegger bottle into a clean glass and received the following.

A. Pours a purplish amber with a couple of fingers of tan foamy head that recedes slowly.

S. I can smell caramel, nuts, coffee, and a slight yeastiness.

T. The flavor is very caramel focused with a little bit of nuts and plenty of sweetness. This is a gentle but very deep flavor profile. Perhaps a little bit of hops on the nose but not too much in the flavor.

M. Light and smooth and very refreshing.

O. Overall this is alway one of the beers that I'll pick up if I see it in the cooler and while it's not a "go-to" beer its definitely in it's own league.

09-22-2013 01:44:02 | More by bourbonbock
richerd

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +22.3%

The bottle is the best part of the package and was added to my collection. The beer as a whole wasn't too bad with a nice deep amber coloring and a huge head when first poured. The taste is decent but since this is the first Black & Tan that I've tried I don't know what to expect from other breweries B&T's. Overall I found it as highly inoffensive and since the price is right I wouldn't pass it by.

05-08-2005 01:13:29 | More by richerd
ghebel

Iowa

3.78/5  rDev +22.3%

A - Pours bright nut brown/ garnet color with 1/2 inch off-white bubbly head that leaves some lacing on it's recession to a thin ring.

S - Dark fruit/ moderately roasted malts with minor earthy hop aroma in the background.

T - Follows smell with mild bitterness.

M - Dry finish. Some lingering bitterness. No shortage of carbonation bite. Leaves the throat warm.

D - Fairly drinkable. I will finish the bottle.

Overall - Not too bad. Better than expected actually.

05-02-2009 21:09:46 | More by ghebel
AtrumAnimus

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

The idea of a black & tan in a bottle is absurd to say the least. If you are expecting the taste of an English B&T then you will be dissapointed. I found this a drinkable and good beer. Not a great beer mind you but still very good especially for an american beer. The maltiness is on the very light side. almost non existinet. The hops are mild also. A creamy texture with a good taste. Also a very large beer in a unigue bottle. I have tried this in both sizes and I find the larger bottle has a better flavour than the smaller bottles.

12-10-2002 08:54:35 | More by AtrumAnimus
Darugo

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

I was at at a big beer store and found the cute little brown jug.I picked it up for $2.99 and left in in the fridge for a month or so. Curious I cracked the twist cap and poured a very attractive dark amber beer with very little head. The smell is a little coffee alcohol note. Taste was nice and the after taste as slightly bitter. Over all its a nice little brew and worth the money. Is not a black and tan but is drinkable. I may pick up another jug and keep it for conversation with friends.

09-21-2009 01:31:52 | More by Darugo
daBEERnazi

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

one of my favorite beers i tried it once because it was on sale and was real suprised if you like dark beers this is 1 to try. not too pricy, its got a cool jug, and doesnt really go flat or taste bad warm 250 characters is kinda long so iguess i will end it with SCREW FLANDERS

03-07-2013 02:13:13 | More by daBEERnazi
Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.