Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 418 | Hads: 1,038
3.22/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Much more tan than black this has an almost cheap flavor but ultimately redeems itself to be above average. Lots of malty flavor of barley, nuts, pecan, grain and tea leaf. (172 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +28%

We had a blind tasting (17 beer drinkers) between this (Mississippi Mud), the Oskar Blues Old Chub, Murphy's Irish Stout, and 21st Amendment's Back-In-Black. (I realize that's 4 different styles, but the category was "Dark beer from a can".) By a small majority, this was the winner.

A little thin feeling, but goes down nicely. I had the cans, but bottle is super cool, giving this a beer a full 5 points for the look category.

But why is a beer from New York State called Mississippi Mud? (497 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - 3.75/5
Dark red-brown, clear, but dark in color, so only a moderate amount of light passes through. Two fingers of very foamy looking light-medium beige head.

Smell - 2.5/5
A kind of strange (not in a good way) smelling lager. Also some good fresher lager smell in a different whiff.

Taste - 2/5
The thoughts that went through my mind the first sip "Guinness...now lager...now gross medicine...now weird flavor mish-mash of all the above." I repeated a second sip and it was the same. Basically, the worst part is the middle of the sip. The beginning is the best and the end is somewhere between meh and gross.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied, carbonation is slightly more intense than average. Quite crisp.

Overall - 2.5/5
This was not a good beer at all. I only bought it because it came in this cool 32oz bottle and I had never seen this beer before and it was $3.99. I wasn't really expecting much from it, so I can't say I'm disappointed. But I can't recommend it either. (993 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured from a bottle. Dark chocolate and very transparent. Light brown, tan head. Light hop aroma. Good flavor of porter with hints of coffee and chocolate. Light Pilsner hop taste. Very thin texture. Overall not bad. (217 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +2.6%

Liquid mediocrity. Im sure that this blend would taste leagues better if it was served freshly prepared on tap. Not a huge fan of mixed beers to begin with but I couldn't pass up a 32 oz growler for only 3 bucks and some change.

L: The color appeals to me mostly because i am a fan of stout beers. It poured surprisingly smooth however the thin head did not last.

S: After first pour had a strong note of metal and soured hops. After letting it settle the metallic smell seemed to dissipate.

T: Not much to talk about on this front. Very underwhelming for what you would expect from a blended beer. Almost as if it was a porter mixed with Bud Light. Not a strong aftertaste either. Just not much flavor here

F: Extremely light on mouth feel. Any typical light beer feel. Slight carbonation

O: With the qualities above this beer could easily be a mid-high 2's. However finding a decent 32oz beer at 3 bucks is damn near impossible. Would purchase again if already trashed and looking for something dark and cheap. (1,017 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Great bottle and decently priced $3.39 in CA. It was a lot better than I expected especially for a premix. Smooth and goes down easy. Was feeling good after the first bottle. Definitely worth checking out. (205 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really really like this beer! Tastes sour n sweet to me. I love black and tans on draft at the bar. Not what I usually drink tho, but always find myself drinking it. Goes down smooth, always. Nice red amber body and a smooth light bittersweet taste to it. Recommended. (271 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

For the price point ($2.25/pint) I enjoyed it. It's on the dark red side which I like. A little dry and a little crisp, for a cheaptastic brew it has a ton of character. I'd buy it again. (190 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If this were any pricier, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But for the price, you can certainly do worse.

This brew pours a nice amber color with a fast dissolving tan head. Less carbonated than some pilsners, more carbonated than some porters, this combo combines elements of both decently well. The body is thin, and the malty, grainy flavor that is present isn't terribly strong or offensive. There is a light darkness present in the malt, but not much. What is present is a bit of black tea, caramel, and wood. The finish is lightly bitter, slightly dry, and doesn't linger.

Not a bad buy for $3.50 a quart, but not something I'm itching to buy again. The bottle presentation is pretty neat though, and it would be nice to bring to a picnic. (762 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

32 ounce screw capped bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear ruby red/brown color with not quite an inch light tan head. Head retention is decent enough, and there's an OK amount of lacing. The brew smells like toffee, tea, and grainy malt. It tastes like grainy/bready malt, caramel, toffee, tea and some herbalness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and is easy to drink. It's better than I thought it would be. $2.99 for a quart of this isn't too bad at all. For the price, it's certainly worth a try! (549 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +35.8%

Color is a bit weak. Almost like an amber. Good flavor. A little nutty. Reminds me more of a Brown Ale than a Black & Tan. definitely a Saranac product (has that "signature Saranac flavor"). That's not very technical, but anyone familiar with Matt's beers knows what I mean. (275 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan brewed by Mississippi Brewing Co., with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a nice light brown color with a nice off white head. It reminds me of sweet tea, in color. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on grains and malts. There is a nice mild sweetness in the smell of this brew. The smell is real inviting, you also pick up on some caramel malts. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. A mild sweetness at first. You pick up on malts, and mild roasted grains. There is a lot going on in this brew, but it is smooth. The mouthfeel is smooth, but rich with flavor. Mississippi Mud Black & Tan has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5. Mississippi Brewing Co., did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. (842 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I am glad I gave the Mud a second chance. It's not the most complex beer around, but it really is a decent alternative to macro lagers. It pours with a bit fizzy head that retreats to the edges of the glass and lingers. There is a fair amount of caramel malt in the flavour, with a bit of Pilsner zest in the mouthfeel. I would agree that it is a far cry from a pub Black and Tan, but for the price and overall packaging, it's worth picking up from time to time. (462 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a standard, English styled pint glass

A - 3.25 - Pours to a dark mahogany brown with light tinges of red. Pathetic head potential, retention and lacing as, there is none!
S - 3.75 - Simple but solid. Medium smokey malts, almost a peat smoke. Would think this was a light scotch ale if I didn't know better.
T - 3.25 - Its OK. Tastes like a super light scotch ale, has a little bit of smoke and malt. There's also a light yet distinct, hazelnut nuttiness, drinks more like a scotch and brown ale than a porter and pilsner.
F - 1.75 - Watery and thin mouthfeel. Could use a lot of help here,
O - 2.75 - This beer would make a fine transition beer from domestic brews to more craft-oriented beers. This would also make a killer, summer day session chugging beer, right out of the bottle. This beer isn't bad, but it isn't necessarily good either, just "okay". For an anywhere near seasoned beer drinker, you won't be impressed. But the price tag on it is CHEAP, the bottle is AWESOME and it would be worth grabbing if you're looking for a decent beer to chug down or keep a few around to session on. (1,109 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Seemed more like a plain ol' brown ale to me. Nice malt flavors with a touch of roastiness and toastiness. Oddly, I seem to like it more now than I did when I tried it way back in the day. Enjoyable, if not spectacular. (222 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I remember thinking this was something special before I knew anything about beer. I brought one of these bad boy jugs to a St. Patty's day party. I'm glad those days are behind me. (180 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

Agreed with other posters that you can do better poured from a tap at a bar. This beer is good, not great but not bad. The jug itself looks cool on my bar. (157 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +1%

First off, this is nowhere near like a Black & Tan you might order at a pub. But overall, it's an OK beer. The mouth feel is very light. I kind of liked this because it isn't heavy like some porters. But it is confusing as I was expecting something heavier given the flavor. You get a hint of nuttiness from the porter but the lightness of a pilsner. (355 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +29.6%

I had the Mississippi Mud last night. All in all, not bad tasting. A great buy for only 1.99 for a quart which poured out as 2 1/2 pint glasses w/head included along with a surprise (lacing following the head) which added a quarter of a point to my rating. I knew it wouldn't be like a real black 'n tan poured. But even as a porter/pilsner blend it was quite tasty and went down easily without giving you that too full feeling. I could have drank another 2 1/2 pints!

In reading the other reviews here, it is evident those who appreciate exactly what it is; and for the money, I certainly can not complain! Especially since the craft beer craze is demanding what I believe is too much money for average to below average tasting brews. I don't know who is pricing things this high; is it the brewer, the distributor, the retailer, or all the above? Of course $1.99 isn't high for a full pint of pretty decent black and tan blend. I would actually rate this higher than the Yuengling's version as Yuengling was my first regular store-bought B&T until I discovered Mississippi Mud and how good it tasted. (1,106 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

Ruby red, amber color. Flavor is mostly chocolate. Otherwise, a somewhat unbalanced mess. I'd like to try to base beers seperately to see if they're any good one their own. (172 characters)

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass, had to pour really aggressive to get the head to form. It did sport a nice two finger head with some lacing on top of a clear brown liquid.

Very basic malt aroma, almost non-existent, some cocoa, but that is a stretch.

The taste was nothing bad, nothing really noticeable…..not going to waste a lot of time on this review….if you want a black and tan go somewhere that knows how to pour them.

I always suspected these to be "gimmick" beers, I am pretty sure you can do better pouring your own.

Price is ok, just don't expect much….I will try the Yuengling in this style also, but again, these are better freshly poured off tap. (670 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

Saw this many times but never picked one up. Picked it up this time, let's give it a whirl. Unscrewing the top I get a nice smell of cocoa and sweet malt. Pours to a dark root beer color with a tan head that hangs on for a while. On the taste the brew hits upfront with a nice heavy mouthfeel. Continuing the taste the brew has a a distinct dryness of the cocoa from the porter and the pilsner. Sweet and slightly bitter when it kicks in then the finish is very dry and clean with only mild lingering bitterness. Very refreshing when one is in the mood for a porter but not the heavy syrupy wallop that it packs. Also I like the cool bottle, as it reminds me of a growler that always contains good brew, the real beer (32 oz) size. (739 characters)

A: dark brown, clear, with a white head that quickly dissipates, leaving some lacing
S: slightly nutty, medium malt character
T: similar to the smell, very black lager like in taste
MF: medium body, slightly creamy
overall: nothing to write home about, but if ur too busy to mix ur own black and tan than this might be worth a quaff (333 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -46.3%

Poured a beautiful color brown. Wonderful aroma of malt and beer. Amazing sweet malty taste. Actually, this beer is not very good. Hard to get through the 1st glass. (165 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Unique 1 quart (946ml) glass jug that looks like a ceramic hooch moonshiners bottle.

A: Pours brown with amber highlights under a half-inch thick light tan/off-white head which fades to a thin cap and yields semi-rings and spots of lace.

N: Clearly porter-esque with roasted malts, earthy, faint vanilla, caramel. Not getting much of the pilsner component aside from some mild citrus notes.

T: The roasted malts are mild with some crispness from the pilsner, though the two components do not meld well together. Crackery malts.

M: Semi-moderate body and semi-medium carbonation. Slightly thin and watery. Finishes with a mildly roasted malt.

O: I'd much rather make my own black and tan, but this was interesting and a sure bargain when you consider the price per ounce. (775 characters)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.