Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001)

1.25/5  rDev -59.9%

1.25/5  rDev -59.9%

1.43/5  rDev -54.2%

Pours a brown cola color with a small off white head which fades quickly. Had almost no head, even with a fairly aggressive pour. the aroma has some roasted malt, and not much else. Pretty bland.

Tastes very watered down, with some roasted malt and some sugar. No hop flavor at all. This is really bad.

Thin, watery, and bland, with low carbonation. I would not drink this again, or even try it again, not even if it was offered for free.

1.48/5  rDev -52.6%

From the 1 quart jug

Normally, I wouldn't buy something like this, but the bottle caught my eye, and then the interesting name. I picked up the jug from the bottom shelf thinking "what the hell is this shit?" and was about to put it back. Then I saw the price tag, and figured what the hell, and I put it in the cart. What can I say, I'm a sucker for good marketing. Here goes...

A: pours a reddish copper hue with a small foamy head.

S: Vague aromas of malt and hops. That sounds stupid, but that's about as descriptive as I can be.

T: What taste? There's a very slight oxidized taste, but not much of anything. Seriously, was the malt substituted with food coloring?

M: Watery and thin with an abrasive carbonated texture.

D: Was this worth what I paid for it? Sure. I've at least got a story. But in the future, it won't be worth any more than the price of a bottle of club soda, because that's basically what this is.

1.5/5  rDev -51.9%

I can only describe this as a gimmick beer, because the bottle was interesting, and the beer awful. Funky metallic/brown sugar nose. Malt had an odd dimension, which, coupled with the alcohol in the beer, hinted at cheap sour mash whiskey. One of the few beers I have poured out half-way through and gotten something (anything) better from the fridge.

1.53/5  rDev -51%

This thing pours a brownish red, much like a cola. It gives you about a finger or so of head that dissipates within a minute or so.

It smells much like a pilsner with hint of malt and an odd, almost metallic note to it.

It has that clean, crisp lagerish taste and feel to it but there's only a vague touch of malt there and there is definitely some grain or cereal there.. There is also something almost metallic and unpleasant in there as well.

It is well carbonated and watery. Watery as hell for a beer of this color. Crisp? Sure. Refreshing? Eh. Lacing? Yeah right.

I regret buying this and I don't say that often. This is a basically a cheap , dark adjunct lager with a nasty undertaste. The bottle is the only good thing about it.

Stay away. Far, far away.

1.58/5  rDev -49.4%

Bought this on impulse because of the great looking bottle. The appearance was quite nice. The smell, however, was not impressive and the taste, what taste there was, was in a word awful. I agree with the other reviewers that it tastes like over carbonated water with some metal and a little stale beer flavor. Alka Seltzer is better.
A promising start but it turned out to be a drain pour. Never again!

1.63/5  rDev -47.8%

Poured a beautiful color brown. Wonderful aroma of malt and beer. Amazing sweet malty taste. Actually, this beer is not very good. Hard to get through the 1st glass.

1.63/5  rDev -47.8%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A-Very dark brown, cherry red on the sides, with a creamy head that left some lacing on the sides. Didn't look like "Mississippi Mud." I was expecting something rather dark.

S-Not the best smelling. You could smell some toasted malts and hops that didn't seem fresh. I checked for a date and I couldn't find one.

T-Wasn't very impressed. It didn't find a good balance of hops and grain. The grains didn't add a very good flavor and the hops seemed stale. Some toasted taste to it and some lsight hints of coffee.

M-Didn't like it. Body was thin and beer seemed over-carbonated.

I picked this up when I was on vacation in Florida because it was the only "micro" I could find. Should have just stuck with Sam Adams or something I could count on.

1.65/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured a plain amber-brown with a finger or so of head from the novelty bottle, which, let's be honest, is a big reason I bought this one. I'd enjoyed Saranac's bottled black and tan and was hoping for something similar out of Mississippi Mud.

The metallic odors coming from the pint glass foreshadowed what was to come, though the bit of maltiness that also came through gave me hope. Sadly, the taste was all oxidized pennies and rusty railroad ties. I searched for the faint notes of malt and roastiness, but they were few and far between. Only slightly less disappointing was this beer's mouthfeel, which was too carbonated, thin, and watery. I could've finished the entire 32 oz., but its sheer mediocrity made it a drain pour, even after I attempted to mix it with a respectable amber.

1.68/5  rDev -46.2%

Piicked this up so cheap for about 3 bucks

the bottle looks very interesting but its plastic wrapped around plastic...not that cool.

A disgusting color of clear brown

S no smell none....what is this water

T not good tasted really unfresh. idk it was a drain pour after a few sips

M thin

D never again!

1.7/5  rDev -45.5%

this beer seems not very good to me, its flavor causes a little to me acidity, but nor to speak of its presentation one of the best and but simple ways to present/display a beer, its package, its label, the beer that I take from this mark is the one of a liter, with a predominant flavor to porter but that to they american to lager, it smells or and it leaves good flavor of mouth

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.