Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

2.28/5  rDev -26.9%

This is a beautiful beer. Brilliantly clear, deep ruby in color with a rich brown tint. Glowing. It has a tall, frothy, cream-colored head that lasts and sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smells of rich pilsner malt balanced with floral, slightly resinous hops. Subtle hints of caramels and toffee underneath.

This is where the beer falls flat on its face. Upfront there is dusty malt and minimal hop bitterness. The flavor disappears in the middle, only to come back as metallic mineral water that lasts into the aftertaste. Really nothing pleasant about it. Tastes like carbonated mineral water with a touch of stale beer added for flavoring. I had to check the previous reviews before posting this to make sure I hadn't gotten a bad bottle. Looks like a lot of other people had a similar experience.

The mouthfeel is light, the carbonation is moderate, and the finish is watery.

I was very disappointed with this beer. The cool bottle and name got me excited, and then the appearance and aroma took me to a new level of anticipation. Upon the first sip, I was convinced that the beer had gone bad. I thought to myself, "Can oxidation really destroy a beer this severely?" I checked the reviews on this site, and sure enough, my bottle was not spoiled. Or maybe everyone got spoiled bottles. In any case, if you buy this beer, it will most likely taste like mine did. I live by the philosophy "Try everything at least once," and I have to say this beer makes me question that advice.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I've been seeing this at the local shop for a long time now and have always wanted to try it based on how much I like the bottle. I finally picked one up today and I'm wishing I had tried it a long time ago. Pouring into a glass mug creates a light, thick head atop very dark brown beer-quite an attractive brew. Odors of citrus and roasted caramel suggest that the lager and ale used to make this B&T are probably worthy of being enjoyed separately as well as together. The taste is creamy, roasted caramel with undertones of sweet citrus flesh. Mississippi Mud has a thicker, more pleasant body than other Black & Tans I've had.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

2.7/5  rDev -13.5%

Beer with non discript aroma, small head with virtually no lacing, that diminished to nothing quickly. Short duration with a sour finish. Body is medium with soft carbonation and a near metallic finish. Only real reedeming quality is the cheap price ($2.99 for a nice sized jug). Bests Miller and Budwiser for taste per price segment, but nothing great. Was curious, now I have satisfied my curiousity but not my taste buds.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

3.91/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Marketing wise this is a very fun beer, coming in a glass mini-growler, shrink wrapped in a tan label featuring black old fashioned font and an illustration of an alligator sitting between the copy. Poured into a pilsner glass, the color is a wonderfully reddish brown with some garnet highlights, a quickly dissipating head and perfect clarity. Aroma is predominantly of caramel malts, roasted grain, cereal; some hops detected at the finish, noble and slightly spicy. The taste is light, malty, and follows the nose very faithfully. Grainy, sweet, caramel and bread, some roastiness, very little hop flavor detected. Mouthfeel is medium-thin and highly carbonated. I'm sure this brew gets a bad rap from being ubiquitous and somewhat small in flavor. The aroma is definitely the best part but it is still a very enjoyable and pleasant session beer that I don't turn my nose up to and would definitely drink again.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the way this beer looks: not just the cool jug handled bottle, but how it pours to a reddish brown with a creamy head.

Like so many others, that's when the party was over for me.

Now I'll admit that this was one of the first bottled black and tans that I'd ever had back when my local Trader Joes started stocking it. I thought it was refreshing then - but so is water. Still, I thought I'd try one this evening for BA reviewing purposes.

What little discernable aroma there is smoky and malty. Not much by the way of hops. There's a winey undertone, but it too is faint.

The taste is simply flat. Mouthfeel is bubbly, effervescent, but there's not enough body to this beer to keep me interested for long. I keep sipping it in hopes of being surprised by a last minute hint of flavor. Alas, it does not deliver.

Nothing spectacular as far as drinkability.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

One of the better bottled black and tans out there. There's not much to it, but it's definately worth a try.

Appearance: Clear deep brown with minimal head

Smell: Malty but faint

Taste: Malt with slight smoke

Mouthfeel: Front loaded flavor with a smooth finish; not overpowering at all

Drinkability: Versatile and highly drinkable with a meal or in mass quantities

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I find this beer to be really refreshing. It has a great combination of thick chewy mouthfeel from the porter and cold refreshing finish of a pilsner. If you looking for a hop bomb this one isn't for you. However if your a fan of a solid mix beer with good malt flavor and a smooth finish give this a try.

2.7/5  rDev -13.5%

The most interesting this about this beer is the bottle. The pour yielded a huge off white head that filled my 500ml pilsner glass to the top. Promising. The odor is sweet and somewhat pungent. Normally I am immediately turned off by a big pungent smell, but here its mild so I proceed. To expect a world class beer here would be to set oneself up for certain disappointment. Obviously this is not a world class beer. What this beer represents is a relatively inexpensive alternative to the common dark swill. The taste is subtle and smooth and the mouthfeel is more watery than I would like, but it is definitely drinkable. It has a fair balance between a pleasant sweetness and light roasted flavor. As far as it being the combination of a "Robust english porter and a continental pilsner' as so dictated on the bottle, I think they are at least somewhat accurate. It is definitely the unique combination of a pilsner (a light light pilsner Urquell) and a porter (NOT robust), but it is nothing to write home about. It is however strangely enough, it is growing on me as it warms up.

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

Watered down. That's the best way to describe each and every element of this beer. It poured as though it was watered down. The smell was good, though it smelt weaker than it should have been. And this all carried over into the taste. I seriously wondered if watered was added in the bottling phase, because otherwise, I don't see why this couldn't be a pretty descent beer. If so, that's unfortunate. And its very cheap price would confirm that.

Avoid this beer unless you just want to collect a pretty cool bottle.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.