Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 426 | Hads: 1,088
3.88/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Fun novelty jug. About as good as a beer you would expect to drink out of a large jug. Reminded me a bit of Yeungling Black & Tan. Smooth, slightly sweet, non-offensive. Very easy to drink, but not a whole lot to write home about.

4.04/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

I miss this brew so much. It entered my local market around 2008 and disappeared around 2011. This is one of the easiest drinking brews I've ever had, and it had both silky smoothness and bold character. I don't know why Mississippi Brewing Co pulled this out of Ohio, because my buddies and I drank this stuff religiously; especially on weekends during football season. Having our finger through the loop on the handle of the jug during a ballgame was a way of life for us for several years. Mississippi Brewing Co, if you ever read this, PLEASE come back to Ohio. You are deeply missed.

4.03/5  rDev +30.8%

Poured from their classic 32 OZ "jug" bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- has a very nice blend of malt, coffee and bread. Appearance- pours a clear reddish amber with a medium sized off-white head. Taste- has a nice cocoa flavor with a hint of smokiness. Overall, a good black & tan. It was better than I expected.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Incredibly light feel, and one can easily drink quite a bit of this without even noticing. The taste (and smell) is defined by a smokey characteristic, besides that it's quite subtle besides some minimal malt-tones.

I picked up a growler for $4, and for that price it might be worth a shot if you are looking for a very drinkable hybrid black & tan.

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark brown with a modest less than one finger of tan short lived head. Little or no lace.
Smell is chocolate and coffee.
Taste is chocolate coffee porter with some light pilzner aspects.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin but well carbonated. Finish is mildly dry and slightly bitter.
Overall it is pleasing to drink and the jug is cool. I waited a long time to try this but ran out of choices at the convenience store.

3.81/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: [3.50] The wide opening allowed for a hard pour yielding 2 fingers off off white head. The beer is a red to brown and really transparent. There is no listed ABV or dates. However, I am adding to my score because the bottle (faux jug) is kind of awesome.

S: [3.75] Traditional "lager" smell of bread. Some hints of caramel and maybe some chocolate. Overall the nose is pretty basic.

T: [4.00] Right out of the gate I got strong chocolate. Much more than I was expecting based on the nose. All of the taste makes me think porter. Some roasted malts.

M: [3.50] Tingly carbonation. Medium body. The beer is refreshing and not dry or bitter.

O: [3.75] In theory this is a mix of a lager and a porter. Interestingly I get each element separately. The nose is almost all lager scent. The taste is classic porter (and a decent one). The feel is all lager again - cool crisp and refreshing. I think this works as a hybrid. I am really pleasantly surprised. I will drink this again.

3.88/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Have to admit I bought this more for the look of the jug shaped bottle than for anything I knew or heard about the beer.

The beer was caramel brown in color with a 2-finger beige head that lasted awhile and left some good lacing.

Nice aroma of dark bread and sweet malt.

Mildly sweet with a lot of caramel malt but not much else. Tasty, but not complex.

Thin body with low carbonation.

Very drinkable and very sessionable at just 5% abv. It holds up really well ice cold. Can anyone tell me how this New York beer came to be called Mississippi Mud? Especially curious about the "mud" part as this beer is really thin.

Solid average beer IMO. I wouldn't drink it again. It's got an okay taste, but isn't anything like a black and tan. Much too thin, no body. I was expecting something a little hardier.

3.22/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Much more tan than black this has an almost cheap flavor but ultimately redeems itself to be above average. Lots of malty flavor of barley, nuts, pecan, grain and tea leaf.

3.93/5  rDev +27.6%

We had a blind tasting (17 beer drinkers) between this (Mississippi Mud), the Oskar Blues Old Chub, Murphy's Irish Stout, and 21st Amendment's Back-In-Black. (I realize that's 4 different styles, but the category was "Dark beer from a can".) By a small majority, this was the winner.

A little thin feeling, but goes down nicely. I had the cans, but bottle is super cool, giving this a beer a full 5 points for the look category.

But why is a beer from New York State called Mississippi Mud?

2.48/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - 3.75/5
Dark red-brown, clear, but dark in color, so only a moderate amount of light passes through. Two fingers of very foamy looking light-medium beige head.

Smell - 2.5/5
A kind of strange (not in a good way) smelling lager. Also some good fresher lager smell in a different whiff.

Taste - 2/5
The thoughts that went through my mind the first sip "Guinness...now lager...now gross medicine...now weird flavor mish-mash of all the above." I repeated a second sip and it was the same. Basically, the worst part is the middle of the sip. The beginning is the best and the end is somewhere between meh and gross.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied, carbonation is slightly more intense than average. Quite crisp.

Overall - 2.5/5
This was not a good beer at all. I only bought it because it came in this cool 32oz bottle and I had never seen this beer before and it was $3.99. I wasn't really expecting much from it, so I can't say I'm disappointed. But I can't recommend it either.

3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured from a bottle. Dark chocolate and very transparent. Light brown, tan head. Light hop aroma. Good flavor of porter with hints of coffee and chocolate. Light Pilsner hop taste. Very thin texture. Overall not bad.

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Liquid mediocrity. Im sure that this blend would taste leagues better if it was served freshly prepared on tap. Not a huge fan of mixed beers to begin with but I couldn't pass up a 32 oz growler for only 3 bucks and some change.

L: The color appeals to me mostly because i am a fan of stout beers. It poured surprisingly smooth however the thin head did not last.

S: After first pour had a strong note of metal and soured hops. After letting it settle the metallic smell seemed to dissipate.

T: Not much to talk about on this front. Very underwhelming for what you would expect from a blended beer. Almost as if it was a porter mixed with Bud Light. Not a strong aftertaste either. Just not much flavor here

F: Extremely light on mouth feel. Any typical light beer feel. Slight carbonation

O: With the qualities above this beer could easily be a mid-high 2's. However finding a decent 32oz beer at 3 bucks is damn near impossible. Would purchase again if already trashed and looking for something dark and cheap.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Great bottle and decently priced $3.39 in CA. It was a lot better than I expected especially for a premix. Smooth and goes down easy. Was feeling good after the first bottle. Definitely worth checking out.

3.66/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really really like this beer! Tastes sour n sweet to me. I love black and tans on draft at the bar. Not what I usually drink tho, but always find myself drinking it. Goes down smooth, always. Nice red amber body and a smooth light bittersweet taste to it. Recommended.

3.34/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

For the price point ($2.25/pint) I enjoyed it. It's on the dark red side which I like. A little dry and a little crisp, for a cheaptastic brew it has a ton of character. I'd buy it again.

2.77/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If this were any pricier, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But for the price, you can certainly do worse.

This brew pours a nice amber color with a fast dissolving tan head. Less carbonated than some pilsners, more carbonated than some porters, this combo combines elements of both decently well. The body is thin, and the malty, grainy flavor that is present isn't terribly strong or offensive. There is a light darkness present in the malt, but not much. What is present is a bit of black tea, caramel, and wood. The finish is lightly bitter, slightly dry, and doesn't linger.

Not a bad buy for $3.50 a quart, but not something I'm itching to buy again. The bottle presentation is pretty neat though, and it would be nice to bring to a picnic.

3.44/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

32 ounce screw capped bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear ruby red/brown color with not quite an inch light tan head. Head retention is decent enough, and there's an OK amount of lacing. The brew smells like toffee, tea, and grainy malt. It tastes like grainy/bready malt, caramel, toffee, tea and some herbalness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and is easy to drink. It's better than I thought it would be. $2.99 for a quart of this isn't too bad at all. For the price, it's certainly worth a try!

4.17/5  rDev +35.4%

Color is a bit weak. Almost like an amber. Good flavor. A little nutty. Reminds me more of a Brown Ale than a Black & Tan. definitely a Saranac product (has that "signature Saranac flavor"). That's not very technical, but anyone familiar with Matt's beers knows what I mean.

4.41/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan brewed by Mississippi Brewing Co., with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a nice light brown color with a nice off white head. It reminds me of sweet tea, in color. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on grains and malts. There is a nice mild sweetness in the smell of this brew. The smell is real inviting, you also pick up on some caramel malts. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. A mild sweetness at first. You pick up on malts, and mild roasted grains. There is a lot going on in this brew, but it is smooth. The mouthfeel is smooth, but rich with flavor. Mississippi Mud Black & Tan has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.5 out of 5. Mississippi Brewing Co., did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again.

3.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I am glad I gave the Mud a second chance. It's not the most complex beer around, but it really is a decent alternative to macro lagers. It pours with a bit fizzy head that retreats to the edges of the glass and lingers. There is a fair amount of caramel malt in the flavour, with a bit of Pilsner zest in the mouthfeel. I would agree that it is a far cry from a pub Black and Tan, but for the price and overall packaging, it's worth picking up from time to time.

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a standard, English styled pint glass

A - 3.25 - Pours to a dark mahogany brown with light tinges of red. Pathetic head potential, retention and lacing as, there is none!
S - 3.75 - Simple but solid. Medium smokey malts, almost a peat smoke. Would think this was a light scotch ale if I didn't know better.
T - 3.25 - Its OK. Tastes like a super light scotch ale, has a little bit of smoke and malt. There's also a light yet distinct, hazelnut nuttiness, drinks more like a scotch and brown ale than a porter and pilsner.
F - 1.75 - Watery and thin mouthfeel. Could use a lot of help here,
O - 2.75 - This beer would make a fine transition beer from domestic brews to more craft-oriented beers. This would also make a killer, summer day session chugging beer, right out of the bottle. This beer isn't bad, but it isn't necessarily good either, just "okay". For an anywhere near seasoned beer drinker, you won't be impressed. But the price tag on it is CHEAP, the bottle is AWESOME and it would be worth grabbing if you're looking for a decent beer to chug down or keep a few around to session on.

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Seemed more like a plain ol' brown ale to me. Nice malt flavors with a touch of roastiness and toastiness. Oddly, I seem to like it more now than I did when I tried it way back in the day. Enjoyable, if not spectacular.

2.95/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I remember thinking this was something special before I knew anything about beer. I brought one of these bad boy jugs to a St. Patty's day party. I'm glad those days are behind me.

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Agreed with other posters that you can do better poured from a tap at a bar. This beer is good, not great but not bad. The jug itself looks cool on my bar.

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.