Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I remember thinking this was something special before I knew anything about beer. I brought one of these bad boy jugs to a St. Patty's day party. I'm glad those days are behind me.

3.34/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.81/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

Agreed with other posters that you can do better poured from a tap at a bar. This beer is good, not great but not bad. The jug itself looks cool on my bar.

3.1/5  rDev -1%

First off, this is nowhere near like a Black & Tan you might order at a pub. But overall, it's an OK beer. The mouth feel is very light. I kind of liked this because it isn't heavy like some porters. But it is confusing as I was expecting something heavier given the flavor. You get a hint of nuttiness from the porter but the lightness of a pilsner.

3.01/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

I had the Mississippi Mud last night. All in all, not bad tasting. A great buy for only 1.99 for a quart which poured out as 2 1/2 pint glasses w/head included along with a surprise (lacing following the head) which added a quarter of a point to my rating. I knew it wouldn't be like a real black 'n tan poured. But even as a porter/pilsner blend it was quite tasty and went down easily without giving you that too full feeling. I could have drank another 2 1/2 pints!

In reading the other reviews here, it is evident those who appreciate exactly what it is; and for the money, I certainly can not complain! Especially since the craft beer craze is demanding what I believe is too much money for average to below average tasting brews. I don't know who is pricing things this high; is it the brewer, the distributor, the retailer, or all the above? Of course $1.99 isn't high for a full pint of pretty decent black and tan blend. I would actually rate this higher than the Yuengling's version as Yuengling was my first regular store-bought B&T until I discovered Mississippi Mud and how good it tasted.

3.61/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2.99/5  rDev -4.5%

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Ruby red, amber color. Flavor is mostly chocolate. Otherwise, a somewhat unbalanced mess. I'd like to try to base beers seperately to see if they're any good one their own.

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass, had to pour really aggressive to get the head to form. It did sport a nice two finger head with some lacing on top of a clear brown liquid.

Very basic malt aroma, almost non-existent, some cocoa, but that is a stretch.

The taste was nothing bad, nothing really noticeable…..not going to waste a lot of time on this review….if you want a black and tan go somewhere that knows how to pour them.

I always suspected these to be "gimmick" beers, I am pretty sure you can do better pouring your own.

Price is ok, just don't expect much….I will try the Yuengling in this style also, but again, these are better freshly poured off tap.

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

3.6/5  rDev +15%

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.