Mississippi Mud Black & Tan - Mississippi Brewing Co.

Mississippi Mud Black & TanMississippi Mud Black & Tan

Mississippi Brewing Co.
New York, United States

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 418 | Hads: 1,038
3.54/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance of this beer is superior, in my opinion. Inviting, jet black, and a fine, thick off-white head on top.

Smell is all caramel and chocolate with just a bit of coffee.

This beer feels very creamy and super smooth in the mouth. It has soft, semi-sweet chocloate and espresso flavors with a medium body. It starts immediately sharp but quickly becomes smooth. When the brew settles in your mouth you'll notice the espresso-to-coffee flavor trend is the heaviest of all the taste suggestions you may experience. The finish is rough and bitter with a long-lasting aftertaste. (586 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -40.4%

this beer seems not very good to me, its flavor causes a little to me acidity, but nor to speak of its presentation one of the best and but simple ways to present/display a beer, its package, its label, the beer that I take from this mark is the one of a liter, with a predominant flavor to porter but that to they american to lager, it smells or and it leaves good flavor of mouth (381 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +27%

Pours a cloudy mahogany, with three fingers of off-white creamy head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smells of toasted chocolate malts and floral hops.The taste is a blend of sweet roasted malts upfront, folllowed by a crisp pilsner flavor and dry hops. The pale lager presence is strong, and disturbes the balance, but the taste is still pleasing and complex. Finishes clean and highly drinkable. The light lager gives an even carbonation and medium body and the dark ale provides a malty palate. This smooth combonation leaves the mouthfeel a little dry, a little residual. (576 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -0.3%

Strange root beer brown color on the top side with a more amber hue to its bottom half. Not completely divided in color but a definate difference between the top and bottom of the glass. Head is soft and sandy with a semi-creamy thickness to it but stays thin and gooey-like. Lacing is minimal in spots.

Aroma is light and a tiny bit sweet with a corn and dried corn husk tone to it. Very low on the scale of wiffable, quite clean and quite.

Taste is about the same, very tame and quite with not a whole lot to offer other than a soft corn-like sweetness with a slight undertone of dried husks and plain granola. Drys off slightly as it finishes with a whish of the grainy husks coming through. Overall very light on the buds.

Feel is pretty light ended but clean. Sorta brings along a bit of rounded off dull sweetness as it just kinda sits there with out much body or flare. Clean and easy with a very light airy dryness and tinge of grains nearer the finish.

Nothing I would'nt seek out again really. Very average, if not all together boring and forgetable. (1,072 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light root beer color with a copper hue, has a frothy off white head, and some carb action.

Has a light/medium toasted caramel malt smell with some citrus hops.

Lightly sweet/bitter, moderately acidic, and almost bland caramel malt taste with an off orange hops flavor.

Light to medium bodied, almost watery texture, soft carbonation, and a bland finish.

The bland finish prevents any type of session with this beer. (436 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 16oz brown glass custom bottle, tan colored wrap-around label

Appearance: reddish brown color, medium tan head, some lacing

Smell: grain, roasted malt, some caramel and minor fruitness

Taste: medium body, smooth mouthfeel, roasted malt, some chocolate

Notes: one of the best in its class, very good taste and highly drinkable, just keep it COLD (370 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +8.5%

My first bottled black and tan, and the only one easily available to me.

My father-in-law had this a few years back, and didn't like it; however, he also tends not to like darker beers.

This beer combines (or claims to) an English porter, a favourite of mine, and a pilsner, something I'm not terribly fond of.

However, this beer blends the two nicely. It pours a dark copper colour with a foamy, light tan head. The smell is somewhat bland, and yeasty. I can't smell too much hops or malts.

Taste is decent: it tastes like a light porter. The taste is exactly like described on the bottle: a mix of a dark, heavy beer, and a light lagered beer.

Easy to drink, and enjoyable, but a little bit on the boring side. (727 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

I was a little dissapointed in this beer. I had high hopes which it didn't live up to. It has a decent aroma but the taste and mouthfeel is just not there. I will have to give the company a thumbs up for presentation though if that means anything. I bought a 4 pack af these and now wish I would have opted for the single. It is a beer that could be drank but I would take a porter or a stout over this next time. Next time I am in the mood for a black & tan Yuengling would be a much better choice. (499 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark brown color, a brownish head that leaves a thin lace. A very good aroma, i thought taste was going to be good also... sweet malt, and chocolate (maybe) arises. But taste falls behind... you can percieve that chocolaty taste but it falls behind the taste of the light side of the beer. Its very fizzy. Its very drinkable, my girlfriend liked it, so that tells me its a soft beer.

Its an ok beer (402 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -16%

A weird jug, gawd knows who makes this beer (must be F.X. Matt). Medium brown appearance, translucent, tan head has little staying power. Laces very simply, some downward-directed strings. Light aroma, slightly nutty with some stuffy almost estery notes. Body is very thin and the carbonation medium high, making for a poor presentation. Flavor is dissappointing, too sweet with cheap cocoa and a husky graininess that's at least partly a result of the carbonation. By the time the bottle is done, there is an annoying cider-like tanginess (before this, there are similarities to Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark Lager), but no improvement in body or a counter-tone. Doesn't show good qualities of any beer that normally makes up a Black and Tan...mediocre stuff here. (761 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -28.7%

Wow, I should have read the label on this beyond "Black and Tan". This brew combines a Pilsner and a Porter.

The nice thing is that you can taste each of the brews even though they are mixed together. The bad thing is that you can taste each of the two brews. They do not mix well. It makes a heavy pils and a light porter. Really more like, Pilsner with dark food coloring, as the pils was definitely the dominant taste.

It poured out of a 32-oz jug-handled bottle (which was half the reason I bought it) a dark brown color with 2-finger tan head. Head died back a bit but never disappeared. Aroma is complex, fruity but sweet and hint of citrus.

The beer is smooth and reasonably easy to drink, but not sure you'd want to. (735 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +5.2%

My first Black & Tan, I bought this one because it was relatively cheap and I'd heard good things. Pours a dark brown with a thing lasting head. Tastes like what it is: a mixture of pilsner and porter. I don't know if I should blame the beer or the style, but Mississippi Mud combines two opposites with unfavorable results. I want my porters thick and my pilsners thin, and by combining them this brew leaves me wanting more. Recommended to try, it isn't going to hurt your wallet too much, but there are better options. (521 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +21.5%

The bottle is the best part of the package and was added to my collection. The beer as a whole wasn't too bad with a nice deep amber coloring and a huge head when first poured. The taste is decent but since this is the first Black & Tan that I've tried I don't know what to expect from other breweries B&T's. Overall I found it as highly inoffensive and since the price is right I wouldn't pass it by. (401 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a two-finger head that quickly recedes to one-quarter. I detect a very slight floral hop aroma. It is a very translucent medium brown and leaves a fair amount of lace on an empty glass. Lightly slick mouthfeel. It is heavy on the carbonation making the flavors which are more subtle than I expected difficult to perceive. I get a little caramel that finishes with a wisp of smoky grain. This is a chugger and should be something to savor if it truly conains any porter as this company claims is in the recipe. I think they are wasting their porter. (564 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -0.7%

It poured about 2 fingers of dense white head, with the beer itself being a dark reddish amber color. It smelled slightly chocolatey, but mostly grainy.. It tasted fairly sweet, like roasted hops and malt, with a hint of barley, also a bit of a caramel taste in my opinion, fairly smooth overall. It seemed a bit watery, and fairly carbonated. This is a very drinkable beer, but not a memorable one.. It doesn't seem much like a black and tan to me.. I must say I do like the bottle though... (492 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

Dark brown / auburn like color, with a long lived dense white foamy head. Not much of an odor to speak of, but gave hints of dark chocolate and alcohol. Smooth flavor of roasted hops and malt with a bit of barley. Kind of watery as well. I would drink this again, but I would not mistake it as a black and tan. This is more like a red beer that's been over done. Worth a try, but not what I would recommend as a good black and tan. (431 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +11.7%

Received a 32oz mini growler as a gimick gift. The vessel is certainly eye-catching, with is moonshine jug vibe.
Pours an earthier hue of ruby with a thick, eruptive sprout of tan lather.
Nose of muted chocolate, grain, and honey. Pears gathers as it warms.
Begins with a dilute toasted quality suggesting hazelnuts. Wavering chocolate/carob hues later. Turns grainier, but not roughly so. These porter qualities are surprisingly decent. The lager aspect seems cheaper with corn and distant sugar. Fruity cues of pear and red apple. Minor grass-fed, herb hopping.
Once it reaches room temp, it pretty much falls apart, with the apples turning sour, and a growing tinny acridness.
But while chilled, this is plenty downable, and a decent associate to spicy foods (the scores represent this, though it easily loses .75-1.0 overall once it fully warms).
Bottled black and tans have little utility to me, but this has some aspects of an average-to-decent brown ale. It's better than I expected, and as a wash-down quaffer...it's not so bad.
Just drink it quickly. (1,069 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer poured a nice dark brown to black with a firm deep tan head. There were no off smells. Nothing spectacular but okay. The taste was sour almost a vinegar. The mouthfeel must have been okay because it made no impression on me. This looks likd a novelty beer that has not worn well. (289 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

I am drinkin a bottle that my fiancee's mom bought me. Gotta love having friends and family that know you like beer. She gave me a 6er of various brews before New Year's
Onto the beer.

I am drinking at room temp in a tulip glass because I can.
The beer pours a clear chestnut color with a soft fluffy off white head foaming up easily. Several streams of carbonation rise from the bottom of the glass. Head fades gradually to a puffy surface layer leaving some stringy latticework on the sides.
Aroma is grainy malt with a bit of huskiness and some toffee and general toffee sweetness. Also a bit of peppery bitterness that I cant place. Overall not the best smells to come from a beer IMO.
First sip reveals a lite body with average carbonation. The flavor has some anice qualities to it mixing with a bit of chocolate and the same grainy malt from the nose. OVerall a bit less pleasant than expected. Cant be sure but could be the anice as I dont like black licorice. Well the beer is not outstanding for sure and is not even very good, but it has flavor and I like it more than most BMC brews. the bottle is cool unfortunately the beer leaves a little to be desired. (1,175 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -18.2%

I'll come right out and admit it. I bought this for the bottle. What a cool bottle. Sometimes, I feel bad about not being able to give points for the bottle.

As far as the beer itself, there's a pretty massive head on this one. Impressive, and it sticks around. Taste is a little strange though. A tad of astringency to the lager. I really expected something a little bit thicker out of something that describes itself as "mud."

Bit of a letdown, really. Good thing the bottle's really cool though. (505 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -5.2%

12/09/04- Purchased at the local Trader Joes in San Mateo.

Appearance- Pours a semi dark brown with a huge head and pretty nice lacing. Nice moonshine jug! I can join me's a jugband now!! YEEEHAW!!

Smell- Nothing fantastic. A bit of roasted malts and that's about it. Not a real good scent.

Taste- Roasted malts, a bit of chocolate swirling around and some nasty coors light tasting stuff. I guess that's the tan part. YUK!

Mouthfeel- Pretty smooth and admittedly easy to swallow. Very low carb level.

Drinkability- That funky "tan" taste ruins it for me. Would have been semi decent if they had used a good lager for the tan part. Now it's just a below average beer. (683 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the way this beer looks: not just the cool jug handled bottle, but how it pours to a reddish brown with a creamy head.

Like so many others, that's when the party was over for me.

Now I'll admit that this was one of the first bottled black and tans that I'd ever had back when my local Trader Joes started stocking it. I thought it was refreshing then - but so is water. Still, I thought I'd try one this evening for BA reviewing purposes.

What little discernable aroma there is smoky and malty. Not much by the way of hops. There's a winey undertone, but it too is faint.

The taste is simply flat. Mouthfeel is bubbly, effervescent, but there's not enough body to this beer to keep me interested for long. I keep sipping it in hopes of being surprised by a last minute hint of flavor. Alas, it does not deliver.

Nothing spectacular as far as drinkability. (879 characters)

3.07/5  rDev 0%

The name and bottling of this beer had kept me intrigued for about a month already, and it created an anxiety until i finally popped the mud open.

And there came the first disappointment. Subconsciously, and i know i'm not alone here, i expected a Black and Tan named MUD and slow brewed to be a bit more viscous, a bit more opaque, a bit more mystical. Nope, this pours an amber colour that can be equally shared by a quality belgian as a crap strong lager. The head was not very lasting and the persistent, big-bubbled carbionation looked more like a soda. moving on.

The smell was it's highest characteristic. you can explore a bit of a range here, from malt to coffee to alcohol. but sad enough, it's not kept up by the taste. You faintly notice malts and hops, the "Continental Pilsner"s dull spectrum far more than the Porter (a style of my appeal). You've no complexity to look for here, rather perplexity in the description. The only way I could describe it was like a book missing the plot. You get the introduction- kind of sweet but not giving away much. You get the ending, a swift wash down of bitterness. But the plot- the complex flavours expected, the carbonation, that feel that goes to your nose, even the density- are not there. And this is its fatal flaw, IMO.

I hate it when a beer's paraphernalia leaves a deeper mark than the beer itself. This beer i won't be looking for in the future all in all. It's so...average. that's it. average.

Oh, plus, since when's a pint 473ml? damn US measurements.... (1,533 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -6.5%

Quite a different vessel for this one. a moonshine jug, hmm. Poured out a medium brown with a soapy thin head that stayed no longer than the time it took me to pour it out its "jug". lacing was nothing to speak of. Aroma was of faint coffeebeans, caramel, and cereal grains. Taste was a little thinner than what i expected. kind of a let down. lightly roasted coffee, caramel, grainy and thin. this was more "tan" than "black". even though it was a let down, it was still better than any macro brew ive had, so it does have an upside. overall, the best thing this beer has going is its intriguing little packaging. (614 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +24.4%

I don't know about you guys, but I like getting in touch with my inner hillbilly now and again, and unscrewing a 32 ounce jug of Mississippi Mud is about the classiest way that I can do that and still manage to get drunk.

The bottle is cool. It pours a dark color with a nice head, decent retention, and good lacing. It doesn't taste much like any actually mixed black and tan I've had (stout and ale), it just tastes like a weak but bittersweet stout with hints of coffee and caramel. It's fizzy like an ale though, with a good body.

This stuff goes down so smooth that it's not even funny. It's like I'm drinking sasprilla.

Overall, a really nice beer. And where I shop a 32 oz bottle of this actually costs less than a 40 of Bud. (741 characters)

Mississippi Mud Black & Tan from Mississippi Brewing Co.